Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Having Trouble with the Boards?
Ask in the General Forum
or email unforum /at/ unfiction.com

The time now is Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:21 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Updates » News & Rumors
[Analysis] Could that email or IM be a trailhead, or SPAM?
Moderators: Administrators, Moderators, ndemeter, Varin
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 110 of 112 [1671 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 108, 109, 110, 111, 112  Next
shylilembrace
Entrenched

I got this one too. What should we do?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:30 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Araenna
Decorated

shylilembrace wrote:
I got this one too. What should we do?

Just happened to notice this in my email, hadn't checked it for awhile. I'm not exactly sure how to respond either.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:30 am
Broklynite
Entrenched

Bad Bios

I know enough about computers to be highly suspicious about this for a number of reasons.

Friend of mine sent me a series of links about a new piece of malware bouncing around the web. Following them and reading them, it feels like a movie which has done its research but conveniently forgets one or two pieces of science in order to move the plot along (think Fringe).

In any case, I was particularly suspicious that it might be an ARG because I don't see much/any mention of this in the main press, all I see are links to blogs with comments saying "I would think this was a scam, but I've followed this guy for years and I trust him." Which sounds familiar, eh? Anyway, take a look at some of these links, and tell me what you folks think?

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/10/meet-badbios-the-mysterious-mac-and-pc-malware-that-jumps-airgaps/

http://www.securityartwork.es/2013/10/30/badbios-2/?lang=en

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z13tzhpzvpqyuzv1n23cz52wykrrvjjce

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:26 pm
Talaisan
Veteran

Almost certainly not an ARG in itself, but sort of related in the complexity and strangeness.

http://www.swontario.ca/

17 notes, an incomprehensible code, an anonymous source, and a blank, empty blog belonging to "000xyz" . Possibly a localized ARG, a history professor gone kooky, or any number of other things. What do ya'll think?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:01 pm
konamouseModerator
Official uF Dietitian

Talaisan wrote:
Almost certainly not an ARG in itself, but sort of related in the complexity and strangeness.

http://www.swontario.ca/

17 notes, an incomprehensible code, an anonymous source, and a blank, empty blog belonging to "000xyz" . Possibly a localized ARG, a history professor gone kooky, or any number of other things. What do ya'll think?

Already a thread for this: http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39858

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:56 pm
OliviaBlake
Greenhorn

Trailhead or Joke?

http://www.reddit.com/r/ARG/comments/22oe3a/i_found_an_sd_card_in_an_abandoned_hotelspa_that/

I noticed this post on Reddit when I started looking for ARG's to watch. I went and watched the videos and thought that following the Youtube posts would be harmless fun. Lately, however, I've started to wonder if this is even an actual game. The apartment in the backgrounds of the "mysterious" SD card videos look similar to the poster's. When the person on camera freaks out about being watched never see anything.
On the latest video their's a link to a website theslumberisover.ml
This seems like nothing but I was wondering what your opinions are.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:44 pm
astrofig
Decorated

Odd email

So just now I got an email from a tulane.edu email addy---which is strange because I don't go to Tulane, nor does anyone I know. Weirder still is the content of the message:

O'Neil, Madeleine A <moneil2>
Hello. Reply back asap.

Just those two sentences and nothing more. Googling the name turns up little of use---there's a MADALINE O'Neil on Twitter, but they seem to be a Boston high school kid. No Madeleine. I'm tempted to reply back asking what's going on and how this person got my email. but if they're a PM I don't want to scare them off....hmmmm....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:43 am
catherwood
I Have 100 Cats and Smell of Wee

Re: Odd email

astrofig wrote:
So just now I got an email from a tulane.edu email addy---which is strange because I don't go to Tulane, nor does anyone I know. Weirder still is the content of the message:

O'Neil, Madeleine A <moneil2>
Hello. Reply back asap.

Just those two sentences and nothing more. Googling the name turns up little of use---there's a MADALINE O'Neil on Twitter, but they seem to be a Boston high school kid. No Madeleine. I'm tempted to reply back asking what's going on and how this person got my email. but if they're a PM I don't want to scare them off....hmmmm....

If you do reply, pay attention to the actual "reply-to" address, which is not always the same as the "sent from" address.

If this were a trailhead, there is no way you would "scare off" the PM by doing exactly what they've asked you to do.

At best, this is a student experiment in psychology, just to see how many people click. At worst, they are harvesting your email for future spam (or worse).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:25 pm
astrofig
Decorated

Yeah, I finally did answer and got no response so far ( Been four hours now.). Looking like a student experiment or harvester....damn. Time to change my password again....

Though interestingly it DOES show up threaded in my gmail, so the addy is the same. Meh, it could also be somebody got hacked, who knows.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:45 pm
agrize
Kilroy

So I've been a member here before but cannot, for the life of me, remember my account details.

I recently checked my email (one of many and the only one ever tied to ARGs) and received this:

http://i.imgur.com/g0Fk2OU.png

I googled the email and it directed me to the Arkansas Society of Radiologic Technologists.

I also noticed that the email listed as the sender sent to is not remotely close to my email. Anyone else getting something like this?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:57 am
kira1000
Decorated

technical institute of time travel

I got this message.

Greetings -

Someone told me that you'd be interested in the subject of time travel. We are accepting a few people to participate in discussions about same. We are supported by private donations and the sale of our promotional material, you would not be expected to purchase anything because you're giving your time.

Register at the following website: http://instituteoftimetravel.net/

We would like to have you participate 3 hrs/week at least. We have online discussions within VYEW online application http://vyew.com/829059/TIOTT

Happy exploring!

Mr. George Himmelman
President of the TIOTT group

what does everyone think? ARG or something else?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:16 am
Leriel
Kilroy

Okay, not sure how kosher it is for a first post to be in here, but I just got an email that could go either way and I have to know.

Email is as follows:

Quote:
From: gertnkurt21SPLATembarqmail.com (gertnkurt21SPLATembarqmail.com)
Sent: Tue 4/21/15 4:53 PM
To: Najibah Khazal (najibah054SPLAThotmail.com)

Can I Trust You

Most confusing part - my name is not Najibah Khazal (or Khazal Najibah, or any variation thereof) and that is most certainly NOT my hotmail address. There is no evidence of a forward or CC, and I have no clue who gertnkurt21 is anyway. Email subject is just "Re:EMAIL".

Did some googling of both gertnkurt21 and Najibah Khazal - no hits on the former, but a few on the latter. Mostly the use of the name in your standard Nigerian Prince-style spam scams, but there was also this, a Tweet by one Aquib Azim back in early March:

Quote:
A "Khazal Najibah" sent an email with absolutely nothing but the statement, "Help Me". Some Junk Mailers should be fined for ish like that.

I have no idea what is even going on. Anybody else get either of these emails?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:40 pm
Sin Vraal
Decorated

Possible Facebook trailhead
garrett asolie contact out of the blue

hey all.

Got a very strange Facebook friend request overnight.

Name is Garrett asolie.

Brand new Facebook but links to a tumblr.

Lots of allusions to getting kicked out of the house by his parents with no details, looking to change the world in some mysterious but vagubooked way... Stating up front he is looking to make friends with strangers on his page.

Oh and no prior internet presence as far as a quick google took me.

So I guess my question is did anyone else get this contact? I haven't posted in at least 5 years so I shall be most amused if I am the recipient of a trailhead. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:30 am
 ICQ Number 
Billy Brown
Decorated

Re: Possible Facebook trailhead

Sin Vraal wrote:
hey all.

Name is Garrett asolie.

Lots of allusions to getting kicked out of the house by his parents with no details, looking to change the world in some mysterious but vagubooked way... Stating up front he is looking to make friends with strangers on his page.

So I guess my question is did anyone else get this contact? I haven't posted in at least 5 years so I shall be most amused if I am the recipient of a trailhead. Smile

Yes, I got this too! I've just started a thread in News & Rumours as it seemed pretty likely to be a trailhead to me -- apologies, I should have thought to check in here first!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:07 am
Pictishwitch
Decorated

Re: Possible Facebook trailhead

Billy Brown wrote:
Sin Vraal wrote:
hey all.

Name is Garrett asolie.

Yes, I got this too! I've just started a thread in News & Rumours as it seemed pretty likely to be a trailhead to me -- apologies, I should have thought to check in here first!

I was contacted also, and I plan on following via Tumblr as well. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:25 pm
Page 110 of 112 [1671 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 108, 109, 110, 111, 112  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Updates » News & Rumors
Jump to: