I Have No Life
Joined: 25 Feb 2003
Below are the notes I've been keeping about the game. I will update periodically as new things are found. This information was obtained from various posts at http://forums.steinitzpuzzlers.com/index.php?act=idx
As well as general information provided from ingame websites.
|First 5 clues from dinner party 10/1969
1. Learn the language of the People of the Flint.
a. Mohawk Indians
2. Find where it was played.
a. Famous chess match S.vs B.
b. Hastings, England=Hastings, Michigan
3. Slither like a horse.
a. Move like the Knight chess piece.
4. It's the Finale that counts.
a. Final move in chess game(Rxh7+)
5. Buy Marlene a birthday gift. (date 11/22/1920 provided by Marlene on forums.
The first 4 clues above were used by Peter to find the first urn. The 5th clue could be used to find the final urn or is just the PM's way of telling us that 11/22 is an important date. The contest for the 3rd urn begins on 11/22.
The following clues HAVE been used by Peter, Mike and Nat to find the 2nd urn:
1. Oakland anagram of (OK DNA LA)
2. Shape of Nebraska on 1st urn.
3. Troll Stroll, Nebraska anagram of (LOST TERROR BLANKS ALL)
4. First Street (Rot of ILUVW VWUHHW)
The above 4 clues were used to locate a place to dig in Oakland, NE. Found buried was a red purse shaped like a herring with a "pi" coin and a note that read "The end is near, but not here, head for two rivers with your scuba gear." Peter, Mike, and Nat are at the non existant confluence of the Little Sioux and Iowa Rivers, where they believe the 2nd urn will be found.
The following clues HAVE NOT been used by the trio:
1. Hail England! Hail England! (rot of OHPS LUNSHUKI!(x2)
a. Found by Nat, written on back of original menu from 1969
2. HIDEOUS NERD THREATENS HOT (anagram?)
a. Found by Peter, written in invisible ink on desk blotter
3. HEIGH-HO! I'M THE GREATER SPACE CADET (anagram?)
a. Found by Mike, scratched into the Homo Superus skull in
in Peter's/Steinitz library
4. "The route leads there.", found by Nat on the book mark in
the Edgar A Poe book. (dancing men cipher-Sherlock Holmes)
5. The deli tags, seen in movie, 1080 & 1920 (dates?)
6. Khepera, found by Peter. The first letters of the the second
course from 1969 menu.
a. Kheperi is the scarab sun god (associated with solar eclipse)
b. Peter was told by Xavier that it was a red herring
7. The sound files found on Mike's blog, 38, 194, 71 and tooth. (??)
8. Pi coin & red purse shaped like herring, found buried in Oakland, Nebraska.
9. Name that tune in 12 notes (anagram of UNTO 12 THIN MANATEE NETS) provided by Marlene on forums.
a. could be refering to "Barber of Seville" music from Mike's
10. 8x8 square of letters, the pieces were found in various places.
11. Chess game set up found in the chateau and seen in commercials.
a. Shows the 17th move of the Steinitz v Bardelben match.
The following were found page by page, linked from Nat's 11/12 blog entry. Each page had to be accessed by "username and password". The domain name for each login was a hint as to the username and password.
1. "Toward many passions was Dag inclined, but two were foremost on his mind."
a. Chess and Homo Superus (??)
b. Unnatural Deaths
2. "With people one finds value in faces, but the same can not be said of places."
3. "The puzzler's task transcends perspective."
4. " How is a clue like a paper plate?"
a. It should only be used once.
5. "Two are but a guide for how to steer your ride."
a. First two urns (??)
b. Two of the bloggers(??0
c. Two of the clues provided here or in blogs (??)
6. "Ceci n'est pas un hareng rouge." (French--This is not a red herring). Included on this page was the drawing from Mike's blog dated 6/25 and titled "The Missing Link"
a. If you print and fold the picture matching A & B you get the
message "red herring".
7. Even the most unsightly, menacing loser can reconsruct himself in a respectable way."
a. Telling us that HIDEOUS NERD THREATENS HOT is an
8. "Nessuno canta nello spazio." (Italian--Nobody sings in space or
Nobody sings in the space.)