Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
The Project MU Archives
Now available in stunning full-color print edition.

The time now is Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:16 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: The Haunted Apiary (Let Op!) » The Haunted Apiary (Let Op!): Interaction
[LOCKED] [PHONE] Dana's voicemail
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Bellebet
Veteran

[PHONE] Dana's voicemail

Has anyone tried accessing Dana's messages yet? There's usually a way to check your messages remotely.

However, it if actually storing the messages we left, it could be a problem. "You have 2,793 new messages. Beep!"

Bellebet

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:11 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Marduk
Veteran

Why yes I have.

Call her number and while she's talking, hit *. It asks for the password... any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:47 pm
catherwood
I Have 100 Cats and Smell of Wee

recording of the recording

Someone was kind enough to record the answering message for us...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:09 am
Grym

On the IRC channel we tried quite a few passwords. Unfortunately, it eventually "locked-out" the account

In case it opens back up, here's how you access the remote-access features of the voice-mail system.

1. Call 415-248-2617 (the number found in the reverse DNS numbers)
2. Press 0 as soon as you hear Dana.
3. Press 1 when you hear the directory.
4. Dial your password (we're guessing it's probably a 4-digit number) and press #
5. Redial the voicemail number ( 415-248-2617) and press #

Good luck, guys!

-Grym

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:02 am
Dodgson
Boot

2370 Market St.

Interestingly, googling the address: 2370 Market St in SF results in:

Quote:
A Taste of Leather 2370 Market Street San Francisco, CA 94114 Telephone: (415) 552-4500 San Francisco's Erotic Emporium Since 1967Out

I doubt #510 is a real apartment. I haven't tried this number, since I assume it is real and out of play. Anyone in SF know if #510 exists?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:00 pm
sauceykat
Decorated

Re: 2370 Market St.

Dodgson wrote:
Interestingly, googling the address: 2370 Market St in SF results in:

Quote:
A Taste of Leather 2370 Market Street San Francisco, CA 94114 Telephone: (415) 552-4500 San Francisco's Erotic Emporium Since 1967Out

I doubt #510 is a real apartment. I haven't tried this number, since I assume it is real and out of play. Anyone in SF know if #510 exists?

I believe it's been noted a few times here that the above address is for a UPS Store, so likely most businesses are running from there. #510 is the box number, if I recall correctly Smile

Trout <--- I've always wanted to do that, sorry Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:13 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dodgson
Boot

Well, I guess I've been Trouted on that address thing. But that's cool, I just jumped on today.

But, on the voicemail, when you press * at the announcement, it asks for a password, assumedly 4 digit, however then it requests the box #, assumedly also a 4 digit code. Has this also been noted?

This seems to indicate we are not going to be able to simply try the 9999 possible combinations for the password, but actually need to solve what both password and box number are.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:21 pm
Etymologician
Boot

voicemail

I'm guessing that March 21st (the date Dana mentioned on her blog) fits in here somewhere. Has that been tried? Could someone post the passwords that have been tried either here on on the wiki? The phone number and 3/21 seem too prominant to be dead ends.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:33 pm
Grym

Dodgson wrote:

But, on the voicemail, when you press * at the announcement, it asks for a password, assumedly 4 digit, however then it requests the box #, assumedly also a 4 digit code. Has this also been noted?

This seems to indicate we are not going to be able to simply try the 9999 possible combinations for the password, but actually need to solve what both password and box number are.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the box number is the voicemail phone number without the beginning 1. I was thinking the same thing as you, until I stayed on the line after it asked for the box number. If you don't press anything it gives you instructions which talk about getting your area code correct.

-Grym

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:52 pm
Deaper
Greenhorn

While it would be nice to get into the mailbox... I don't think it would do much good. All that it will do is get all of the hangups she kept talking about. But could lead to a clue.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:51 pm
Paradoxic
Decorated

I think it is the same deal as the hotmail account. Since both are managed by a real (in-game) person (dana) and there is no question of 'mysterious voicemails' possibly being left... we have no reason to want to break into it. In addition, if we were told not to hack her hotmail, then we can assume the same goes for the voicemail if we were to ask her.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:49 am
Etymologician
Boot

I wouldn't be suprised if there's a message from Aunt M on there, or something similar. I have a feeling that Dana's holding something back. I think the hotmail is pretty clearly a dead end, but we haven't found anything useful from the voicemail yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:53 pm
Dodgson
Boot

Thanks Grym,

I thought about that after I posted last, and I think you are right. It seems rather cumbersome though if that were a person's real voicemail to have to dial a 10 digit phone number, followed by a 4 digit code, then repeat the 10 digit phone number, thus needed 24 key strokes just to check ones voicemail.

But being that this isn't "reality" I agree that the box # is the 10 digit phone number. So this leads me to my question, do we have a list of the 4 digit passcodes that have been tried. I heard someone mention Wiki, but I haven't found a list yet. We could probably crack this sucker with a few people taking like 20 code numbers apiece, and working through the 9999 possibilities.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:34 pm
Paradoxic
Decorated

Of course, the voice mail box is now locked because of too many incorrect attempts (so sayeth another poster... i think over in the recipe thread, as a possible 4 digit number was found there). The makers of code based systems now understand brute forcing and have set up counters to lock it down if too many attempts are made.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 2:39 pm
mrzarquon
Boot

Has anyone called the main number for the voicemail provider?

It says that if you are having trouble getting onto the account, to call 1-800-464-4444. Maybe it is a purchased / rented voice mail box system, or just a box someone setup somewhere?

btw, punching that into google calculated that to -5707, i have to run but that may be another valid pin number. Who knows, if this isn't really a voicemail system at all, we may get another tip / clue.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:09 pm
Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: The Haunted Apiary (Let Op!) » The Haunted Apiary (Let Op!): Interaction
Jump to: