Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
What is an ARG?
Read imbri's Quickstart Guide

The time now is Mon May 29, 2017 11:14 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: The Haunted Apiary (Let Op!) » The Haunted Apiary (Let Op!): General/Updates
[META] Arguments For/Against New Chat Room
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 3 [40 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
SpaceBass
The BADministrator

[META] Arguments For/Against New Chat Room

So did anyone point her to the chat room?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:50 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Wishi-san
Unfettered

Surely that's OOG?

I know the discussions in there ain't exactly in game.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:20 pm
celina63
Entrenched

I just posted a comment to her blog, directing her to a new channel we just set up - #ilovebees - in order to not "knock down the 4th wall" as Ikkarus so elegantly put it Smile

So... we're in there now, and the discussion is whether we should put a bot in there, merely as something to keep the room open...

C

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:21 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SpaceBass
The BADministrator

Why did you set up a new channel? The way she phrased the query made it apparent she wasn't going to go there, she was going to direct others there. It looks like these PMs at least have some understanding of controlling their environment rather than letting the players dictate the terms of the game.

I keep saying it over and over, hoping it will sink in eventually: it is the sole responsibility of the PMs - NOT the players - to uphold the curtain by ignoring that which is meta and incorporating the proper player responses into their game, should they wish to do so. The players do not have the duty, nor the right, to attempt to wrest control of the game away from the PMs. If you set up separate in-game channels, separate in-game forums, separate in-game personae, you are now playing a Role-Playing Game, not an ARG. I, for one, do not wish to play any RPGs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:35 pm
Ikkarus
Veteran

And while I agree with what you are saying in theory, the fact is that the channel info is getting posted to an in-game site, so it should also be considered in-game. In reality, the new channel is just a waiting room and a bridge between in-game and out. When and if real people (not game characters) show up there, we'll just point them to the regular out-of-game channel.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:42 pm
 ICQ Number 
vpisteve
Asshatministrator

Hmmm,

My take on this comment:

Quote:
Is there a channel I can direct other people to, so they can sync up with you?
is simply this.

I think it's a way for her to post channel info on the site in order to direct new players somewhere, not for her to interact with us.

Similar to when the Pythia put a link to JawBreakers on her site.

[EDIT:...and similar to what SpaceBass posted above........sigh.]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:52 pm
Last edited by vpisteve on Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Wishi-san
Unfettered

That's just completely wrong.

If someone says in chat to say Dina, hey why not come hang out in #unfiction? Yeah, what a good idea that is...

What's she/the PM supposed to say? Err, no I err, can't.

You seem to be making arguments out of nothing. So you create a different chat room? Now it's automatically an RPG? Well no one told me that. Your opinion, while yours, certainly doesn't seem to coincide with most others' who seem to think it was a good idea to create a separate chat.

This seems to be coming up a lot lately. But why should PMs be expected to ignore players? The players (which is what they are, ARG/RPG/whatever you decide it is) should learn themselves where there is a boundary between in and out of game.

Edit: I didn't actually read the comment from Dina, I was just going off what others were saying btw.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:54 pm
Last edited by Wishi-san on Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nash Carey

SpaceBass wrote:
So did anyone point her to the chat room?

When you say 'her' you are referring to an in-game character right? Oh, I get it, trying to make this UF's game, and not the blue's or the newly emerging blacks. Keep people coming to your site by posting advertisement in someones game. Smart

SpaceBass wrote:
The way she phrased the query made it apparent she wasn't going to go there, she was going to direct others there. It looks like these PMs at least have some understanding of controlling their environment rather than letting the players dictate the terms of the game.

Or, quite trying to contain the players playing on your boards and let them play like they want to.[/i][/quote]

[Edited to add poster's name, who knows he is not supposed to post anonymously yet keeps doing so, and had to *manually* enter "Guest" in the name line. -SpaceBass]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:55 pm
Ikkarus
Veteran

Quote:
I think it's a way for her to post channel info on the site in order to direct new players somewhere, not for her to interact with us.

I completely agree with that assessment of her comment, but what's the harm in abstracting things one step to help keep the illusion? It's not like we're trying to do the PMs work for them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:56 pm
 ICQ Number 
vpisteve
Asshatministrator

OK everyone, take a breath.

Let's just let the PMs play this out the way they want to. They're in control of what happens, after all. Nobody has shilled unfiction on any game site as far as I know.

Relax. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:00 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
MageSteff
Pretty talky there aintcha, Talky?

SpaceBass wrote:

I keep saying it over and over, hoping it will sink in eventually: it is the sole responsibility of the PMs - NOT the players - to uphold the curtain by ignoring that which is meta and incorporating the proper player responses into their game, should they wish to do so.

Confused Confused Confused

Eh, I was always told that while the PM's need to ignore the Meta, that Players should not make the mistake of "Inviting" the characters into the OOG world, thereby making an out of game place in game by making the characters aware of it. We got yelled at during Acheron for it, and someone got their hands slapped in Aware for doing it. What if they PM's a fairly new and don't understand that they should "just ignore it?"

I think the responsibility should be on BOTH sides of the curtain for this, but I will agree we can disagree on this.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:05 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Wishi-san
Unfettered

If you don't want anonymous posting then disable it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:13 pm
AmyCarey

Actually NO! Mr. Smarty Pants... It is his WIFE. That's "whack"!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:15 pm
celina63
Entrenched

FWIW, I don't think new channel/no new channel has anything to do with making anyone play anywhere. Even if I *would* have posted a not-new channel, it WOULD NOT have been #unfiction.

C

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:20 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SpaceBass
The BADministrator

Wishi-san wrote:
If you don't want anonymous posting then disable it.

You need to review the terms of service.

Amy Carey wrote:
Actually NO! Mr. Smarty Pants... It is his WIFE. That's "whack"!

I've heard this line before. Your husband has a distinctive (read: horrid) writing style as evidenced above.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:21 pm
Page 1 of 3 [40 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: The Haunted Apiary (Let Op!) » The Haunted Apiary (Let Op!): General/Updates
Jump to: