Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
The Project MU Archives
Now available in stunning full-color print edition.

The time now is Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:16 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: The Haunted Apiary (Let Op!) » The Haunted Apiary (Let Op!): Puzzles
[PUZZLE/PARTIAL SOLVE: ILB.com] Image-Story pieced together
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 3 [31 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
strifey

[PUZZLE/PARTIAL SOLVE: ILB.com] Image-Story pieced together

This is my "take" on the image-story after its pieced together. A little different than rose's, and I'd of put it on the wiki somewhere, but I still need to learn how it works fully. My apologies once again. I spoiler tagged it, just in case... /'s are snipped breaks, *'s are different image set breaks (some of these may be missing).

Spoiler (Rollover to View):
Everything died, and I died with it, but after a / timeless time I began to dream, / and this is what I dreamed.

There was once a fell enchantment that broke apart a mighty / castle, slaying many guards and reaching through the Inner / Keep to lay low / the Queen that held dominion there / and leave but a hollow crown behind. * When her Queen died, / the Widow awoke. She was / driven by a single need, which / was to / return her Queen to splendor.

To carry out her task, / the Widow came with three / tools: an empty lantern, a staff made of bone, and / a sharp knife. * When she had made sure of her tools, / she opened her eyes and found herself in Hell / which was a dark place where no birds sang. Other / than the Widow, two / alone had escaped destruction.

The Sleeping Princess lay in a / chamber of the dungeon in a coffin of / glass where the Widow could not hear / her breathing. * Meanwhile, the Pious / Flea was so small that / even the Widow, with her sharp / eyes, could hardly see him, / and when she looked his way, he hid.

Blind and uncertain in the darkness, the Widow needed light to use her tools, but the only light came from a few scattered fireflies. The Widow waited until one came close, then / grabbed it with her bony hands and trapped it in her lantern. After / some time, she found the firefly had gone, so she caught another and used it for light, and another when that one too had gone. * By the light of her lantern, she began / walking through Hell toward / the broken body of her Queen. * Searching with her lantern in / one hand and her staff in the other, she discovered that Hell / was made of hot dry sand.

Long and long she walked until she came to the / remnants of the castle's outer wall, but the / wall was low and broken, and the Widow passed through / like the bleak wind.* She walked through the empty / corridors of the Keep searching for her Queen, past / the bodies of her servants and subjects / that lay dead or enchanted. * Within, she noticed what looked like a chip of precious / ruby from the Queen's crown, no bigger than a fly. Around / it lay many broken blocks from the ruined castle, scattered / across a wide plain of lodestone. * Instead of carrying them with / her, she scratched the ruby and each of the / greater blocks with her knife, marking / it as part of her Queen's domain.

Continuing on her quest, she spied another chip of precious / stone, this time a sapphire no bigger than a winged / ant, glinting the cobbles of the courtyard / before the walls of the Inner Keep.

At the gates of the Inner Keep all the guards were dead / but one, who when the palace was blasted by / enchantment had not died, but had been witched / into the form of a hideous Manticore. * The Widow said, "I am the servant of your / Queen, and I have walked up out of Hell to prepare this / Keep for her return. Let me pass." But the Manticore did / not know her, and still he barred the way. * So the Widow drew / her knife and slew / the Manticore and the way was open.

The Queen was gone, and in her place lay only an empty crown. By great enchantment she had been mazed / in mirrors, and lay upon a lodestone floor amongst only her reflections. Long and long the Widow stood / in thought. Then she raised her bony staff and / speaking a spell, beheld herself within the mirrors: / and beholding herself, was within them. / And there, with the crown still upon / her brow, lay the Queen.

At last she had come to / the body of her lady. The / Queen lay cut and still and cold. * To tend her, the widow would need light to work by. Studying the fireflies, she / found she could fit / many more inside her lantern, and this she did.

To mend the queen's cuts the Widow took her sharp knife and / peeled skin from the bodies of her subjects, while the Queen's / new eyes and ears she cut from those who had been / her most trusted servants. * And when this was so, the Widow worked / on, dry as sticks and patient as rust, driven / by a single need, which was to / return her Queen to splendor. * She cut her a new mouth and fed her / with fireflies and cakes of / sand, and at last the / Queen's heart began to beat.

At the feel of the Queen's pulse beneath her bony fingers, the Widow next took thought to proclaim through all the kingdom and into / other lands that time when her sovereign would once more be fit to rule. A firefly flew out from the Queen's / clockcase. Catching it in / her hands, the Widow asked it the time. / "Almost dawn," it said, but the Widow said, "The day will break and the sun will rise when the Queen returns to rule, and further let it be known that retribution on any who hinder the return of the Queen will be swift and terrible."
[/quote]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:06 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
fireball
Charter Member

Location: living in a box under the stairs in the corner of the basement of the house half a block down the st

Well done!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:25 pm
rosie

great work

I didn't check the forums so I didn't know this was here- just want straight to chat and the wiki; but, happily we ended up at the same place working seperately.

Now how do I get back the last 45 minutes I spent on this??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:25 pm
strifey

Sorry!

Sorry, Like I said, I really gotta spend time and figure out the Wiki-jazz. At least it's been confirmed that I didn't do anything funky with it Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:37 pm
enaxor
I Have No Life

Nicely done Strifey and Rose!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:50 pm
RobMagus
Unfettered

*applauds*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:06 pm
art of folding metal

*applauds also*

Now to get back to peicing together my own story.. :/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:07 pm
MageSteff
Pretty talky there aintcha, Talky?

/me not to be outdone, stands on chair and whistles loudly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:16 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ikkarus
Veteran

So, has anyone attempted to email the combined text to Dana yet? She's been informed of the snippets from the images, but she is "not sure how they fit together" (from her blog).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:06 am
 ICQ Number 
dmon_man
Veteran

is dana trying to save her aunt?

Is it possible that Dana is the widow and her Aunt is the queen?
The queen or at least her site has been attacked by an enchantment and Dana is trying to bring the site back to life.
I have no idea how this might fit in with the May Day text as there really seems to be two different things going on, unless (stick with me here) Dana is the operator (she does operate the site) and she is currently lost/shipwrecked (she is planning on going to China to get away from here.) She is looking for the crew from her ship (possibly us) to help save her and her Aunt from the spider (the manticore.)

Be gentle, I'm new at this.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:34 pm
strife777

Possibly...I dunno...theres still the flea and the Sleeping Princess to tie in...if anything, I think Dana is the Sleeping Princess...one of the entities (the operator most likely) could be the Queen...the flea is the white text...and the widow is the computer text thats trying to reboot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:39 pm
dmon_man
Veteran

fireflies...

Just speculation here, but perhaps we are the fireflys the Widow is gathering into her lantern in order to shed light on the situation.

Wouldn't the princess be the daughter of the queen?

Does this mean Dana's mother is the queen and she is the sleeping princess?

This would make someone else the Widow and the "flea" would be the "bug?"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:04 pm
Tien_Le
Charter Member

image story

I'll add my applause to those who put together the image story.

What impresses me most is how beautifully written the story is. Bravo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:43 am
d4z3

the queen is metastasized

say, isn't this story kind of like an elaborated metaphore for metastasizing perhaps in reverse?

Quote:
HALT

MODULE CORE HEMORRHAGE

Control has been yielded to the SYSTEM PERIL DISTRIBUTED REFLEX.

Terminate your connection immediately.

This medium is classified, and does not require human authorization to act.

In 11 days, network throttling will erode.
For security reasons, this medium has a STRONG INTRUSIVE INCLINATION.

In 25 days it will metastasize.

COUNTDOWN TO WIDE AWAKE AND PHYSICAL:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:22 pm
Dirkle
Greenhorn

While this is obviously metaphor, it would seem to fit with the "sand is silicon" ideas suggested in other threads. The queen being "pieced together" from her subjects could be rebuilding an actual computer. She was fed with fireflies, which could be LED lights, and cakes of sand, which could easily be computer chips.

Possibly some type of government (probably military) computer project that was terminated (maybe destroyed) that someone is trying to restart privately (surely for a nefarious purpose).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:14 am
 ICQ Number 
Page 1 of 3 [31 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: The Haunted Apiary (Let Op!) » The Haunted Apiary (Let Op!): Puzzles
Jump to: