Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Got a jones for some uF swag?
Visit Ye Olde Tradin' Post!

The time now is Sun May 28, 2017 4:17 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Updates » News & Rumors
UNFICTION IS ON THE VERGE OF CLOSING!!!!!
Moderators: Administrators, Moderators, ndemeter, Varin
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 2 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
punxtr
Die Hard Try Hard

Pixiestix wrote:
punxtr wrote:
I mean, if it can't naturally support itself anymore...

First of all... you DO realize UF has NEVER "naturally supported itself" it has always been out of Spacebase's pockets. Out of his love for the genre, love for the community, and that's just rude.

Secondly, I believe the point of this whole effort is suddenly being missed because of a joke about Reddit. The biggest thing here is we need to keep UF open at the very least until we can find a way to preserve everything. ARGs by nature are fluid and unrepeatable. Websites change as the game progresses. Hell when games are over, often websites disappear forever u less someone has mirrored them - and even then it is usually just versions of them (such as Dread House/Dark Detour being as preserved as possible by Addlepated). Without UF, well over a decade of gameplay is gone. Many of us have made huge efforts to record important moments, repost images, gather crowdsourced character interaction in this one community location. We aren't the only location, but we are the oldest, and we have survived where others have died. If this dies, it isn't because the community has died off or moved it - it's because we are too cheap and just want to go to a free source. And that's sad. And frankly a slap in the face to those of us who made this place home long before.

I'm just as guilty, I think this was only the second time I've donated. BUT I volunteer my time and energy to help maintain the website, and I will be right there helping my family, yes FAMILY, migrate to a better and cheaper location - and stay UF.

Please don't try and label what I said as rude, because I am not saying unFiction is only failing because it can't support itself 'naturally'. What I did say is that, in the context of this thread, since Spacebass is in no financial position to pay the hosting et al we can't tell people /just/ to donate (although it helps no doubt). We have to find a new way to host unFiction. We literally want the same thing, Pixie, so don't start using selecting CAPS in hostile response to me like that. This place was my home for many years, also.

And while we may exchange what we think our positions are ad infinitum, it has been a month and we need an update. And we need an actual concrete plan to migrate the community, because although you say donating is the short term plan, I have yet to see a long term plan. Has morbus been in contact with Sean?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:20 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
KLind
Entrenched

Oh no! Just hearing about this now. So sorry to hear about the situation, Sean. Best of luck getting back up on your feet! Will donate this week for sure. This place means the world to me, and I would hate to see it go...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:11 pm
Zobot257
Entrenched

I don't want to see it go down either. I'd be happy to donate!

If there's anything I can do beyond just paying money as well, I'd love to hear it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:14 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PixiestixModerator
Resident Angry Midget

Updates have been sparse because we are giving Space time to find a home.

That said, good news!! First off, Space and his Lady have found a home! They close mid February, so keep your fingers crossed all goes well Smile

As for UF
YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!

SpaceBass wrote:
The donation response was overwhelming with some people donating multiple times. We raised a little over $3000, which gives me about six months of breathing room, yay!

Basically, this gives Space time to move in and get stuff figured out before any server migrations happen. We have had a large amount of people offer tech support, Space will (I am sure) contact people who have offered individually for any tech support he needs as that begins. He *does* have his pc tower, just no way to hook the pc up until he moves. Thank you guys so much. Tear in my eyes, and much relief for Space!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:01 am
Cryptfiend
Boot

I don't visit here nearly as often as I have in the past, and I just saw this announcement.

I've had a few personal emergencies myself crop up this month, however if we hang on until next month I will add some cash in as well. I can't imagine life without unfiction. I remember late nights reading through all the backlog of posts, and imagining another world just beyond this one. Not seen, but glimpsed.

This is a community where people have to say things like "are we sure this is an arg?" so that they don't accidentally blow the cover on super secret spy missions, and solve major international events.

I'm quite convinced that, were this community to put its mind together, the ills of the world would be solved in a matter of a few days. Someone just needs to phrase those ills in the form of a rabbit hole.

This place can't go away.

We would lose too much.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:28 pm
Clovie4796
Boot

Any update?

Hey guys, so I was wondering if this site is still leaving us....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:57 pm
PixiestixModerator
Resident Angry Midget

There are currently no updates. The site got enough funding to coast for a bit, which gives Space some time to figure stuff out. That said, don't feel like you can't/shouldn't donate if you have a few spare bucks now and then. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:26 pm
avr1991
Unfettered

Haven't been on this site in many years, but I'd hate to see it close due to techical issues.
Not sure if this is still relevant, however, I'm now an adult (sad times) with a job as a Web Developer.
I configure linux based operating systems quite a lot at work - so if you need some help let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:47 am
Xkeeper
Veteran

I am late, but someone mentioned this in an IRC channel so I read it.

Quote:
Forums server hosting alone is about $4000 per year currently (with the ancient hardware).

I am very curious how this is. Especially with
Quote:
Supplemental Dreamhost is about $200 per year.

which should be more than enough for this forum.

Quote:
Domains and stuff are about $500.

This is also an eye-raiser. How many domains and where are they registered?

The business costs and whatever else are just arbitrary numbers and not really anything someone can examine, but the $4000-a-year forum cost is ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:31 am
v37
Decorated

Late as usual :/

Doing my 6 month lurker check in and just saw the possibility of UF going away. Happy to see that it is still here thanks to all the generous donations!!! Thank you community! Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:48 am
Page 2 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Updates » News & Rumors
Jump to: