Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Got a jones for some uF swag?
Visit Ye Olde Tradin' Post!

The time now is Mon May 29, 2017 2:58 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Updates » News & Rumors
UNFICTION IS ON THE VERGE OF CLOSING!!!!!
Moderators: Administrators, Moderators, ndemeter, Varin
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
PixiestixModerator
Resident Angry Midget

UNFICTION IS ON THE VERGE OF CLOSING!!!!!
HELP SAVE UF!!!!

Sean posted the following to the admin/mod forums:

SpaceBass wrote:
Hey, everyone. I've got some bad news, I'm probably going to have to shut the forums down in the near future. Last Friday, a tree fell through the condo my GF and I were renting. No one was injured but the damage is so extensive that it will take half a year to fix so our landlord is breaking our lease. We're going to have to figure out how to get all of our stuff out of there, replace what has been damaged, find a place to store it temporarily, and find a new place to live. We both have insurance but won't know until tomorow what our coverage will provide. This is not an ideal situation or timing. I'm likely going to need to cut expenses as much as possible and unfortunately, maintaining these forums will almost definitely be one of them.

I don't know when this is going to happen and I'm only going to have intermittent internet access for awhile. I will try to let everyone know with some advance timing before anything is actually shut down.

I really appreciate everything all of you have done to keep these boards running smoothly over the years. Even though I haven't been around much lately, I'm going to miss having this place and community available.

Sorry for the bad news. I'll let you know more when I can.

I, being the pain in the ass Pixie I am, set to work trying to find out how to save the forums. I asked some questions, I got some answers.
First off, all of our efforts may be moot if he can’t get into his Condo to get his computer. Brian was texting with him earlier today, and he’s going to try to get in there tomorrow. HOPE the weather is good until he can get in there. The city is only letting them in, because of hazard I guess, at specific times.

SpaceBass wrote:
The tree that fell on the condo is still there because the restoration company cannot get a crane up the hill to the condos (too steep) that is big enough to lift the tree off. There are three specialized off-road cranes in the Pacific NW that might be able to do it, but there's no firm timeline for when that can happen. In the meantime, the condo is completely exposed to the elements other than tarps stretched over the holes in the roof as well as the tree. We're expecting another ice storm in a couple of days. If they can't get the tree removed before then, since the power and heat are off in the house, I'm looking at a high likelihood of significant personal property damage. Insurance will cover some of this expense but there will be a huge cost in time in trying to replace stuff, especially electronics and data-related. Until the tree is removed, we are forbidden from having a service come in to pack up, remove, and store all the personal property.

Next off, he needs more than just money, he needs RELIABLE TECH HELP!
SpaceBass wrote:
On top of that, at this point I don't really remember or understand how stuff was set up on the servers and the people who used to help me with those things are no longer available. My hosting company has been bugging me for some time to upgrade the old server hardware which I've been ignoring because I honestly don't know how to go about it without a good deal of free time to figure it out on my own, and I'm afraid I'll screw it up unless I have skilled and trustworthy assistance.

Finally, I feel like none of us really knew how $$$ much he was putting into UF.
SpaceBass wrote:
Forums server hosting alone is about $4000 per year currently (with the ancient hardware). Supplemental Dreamhost is about $200 per year. Domains and stuff are about $500. Business costs are about $1000. Other miscellaneous may bring it all to about $6000 per year. Doesn't seem like much but that's about $500 per month that I'm paying almost completely out of pocket. Donations for the past few years have been around $20-$200 per year.

He wanted to stress a few points:
SpaceBass wrote:

• It should be noted that donations to Unfiction can only be used for Unfiction Inc. expenses so I wouldn't want people to think they can help me with personal expenses by donating that way, although having all of my income available for personal use again would certainly help.
• Even if I just shut everything down, there are still going to be some costs involved with final tax returns, dissolving the business, etc. I don't yet know how much I'm going to face in out-of-pocket expenses
• Assuming I can continue paying for the forums server hosting and the servers continue to work for awhile, then I could punt on the issue of shutting down until I get my personal situation stabilized.
• We're not going to be homeless through insurance coverage and back up plans to stay with family after insurance runs out, but again this will severely limit my ability to do anything other than working and finding a new residence.

So... While it may seem like a short term solution, let’s rally and get some donations going. IF NOTHING ELSE, it keeps UF alive until we can figure shit out. Since a donation to UF doesn’t go to Sean, but it stops Sean from having to put money in himself, it helps him out personally. Remember also, this is his baby. He wouldn’t have put all that money out of pocket into keeping that running, FOR US, over all these years, if he didn’t love it. Let’s show him, and Unfiction, some love back!!!!

DONATE: http://www.unfiction.com/about/support-uf/

12/13/16 - UPDATE!!!

SpaceBass wrote:
Man, you guys are super awesome. It really helps knowing I don't need to worry about this for the time being. I did manage to get my computer tower packed up and have it with me for safekeeping but I only have the tower so I still won't be able to access it for awhile.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:17 pm
Last edited by PixiestixModerator on Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Nighthawk
I Have 100 Cats and Smell of Wee

Figure it would take something like this to bring be back... Hey everyone! It's been a while!

Way back when this forum meant a lot to me. It helped me through some dark times, and served as the forum for my first ARG: Looking Glass Labs. It also serves as a foundation for my company, Darklight Interactive. I may not be around as much as I use to be, but the memories run deep.

That being said, I may not be able to help you at the financial level you may need, but I can likely assist at the tech level. There's not much I can likely do about the domain costs (besides argn.com and unfiction.com, not sure what other domains there are), but what you're paying for hosting seems, short of a nicer way of putting it, absurdly high. For example, I have unlimited hosting (bandwidth and storage space, although database space limits are questionable) at GoDaddy and I pay nowhere near that amount on a yearly basis. Other solutions like Amazon Web Services also exist and are likely much cheaper.

So, if there's anything I may be able to do, I'll be happy to do it. If you're up to it, contact me via email (dflor71SPLATgmail.com) and I'd like to get a better idea of what your hosting involves and if it can actually be moved to something that would be significantly more cost effective.

Beyond that, I do wish you the best of luck. Let me know if there's anything further we can do.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:05 am
morbus
Decorated

I can't donate money (family, kids, Christmas, etc.), but I can donate tech experience. My Day Job is a tech lead programming web sites, sysadmining web servers, blah blah blah. I also agree that the associated costs seem quite high - it might be time to move to a VPS-based structure like Linode.

morbusSPLATdisobey.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:00 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
 ICQ Number 
aliendialModerator
Unfictologist

I gave, as I have no technical expertise to offer but have thoroughly benefited from these forums and the community. Every little bit helps!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:08 pm
ineffabelle
Unfettered

People more skilled that I am have offered their technical assistance, but if you need more help, I'm there. I freelance in web and graphic design these days. Also was able to give a very small amount but as aliendial said every little bit makes a difference, especially if we all do a little bit!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:03 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 ICQ Number 
davecobb
Boot

THANKS

Glad to help with a donation! I've made some great friends here (especially from FLYNN LIVES).

I fight for the users! Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:59 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mrshomersimpson
Entrenched

Made a Donation and for good measure its monthly recurring too.

its been so long since i have been here but i adore this place!

The good and the bad, the arguments and the celerations, the ups and the downs.

Thank you guys for all the work you do here. Although i am not here very often i still absolutely ADORE the forum and the people i have met through here.

love you guys <3

OH and if you guys need any tech support give me a shout at mrshomersimpsonSPLAThotmail.com <3

"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. So said by the idiot who can't understand it."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:05 pm
OmegaX
Unfettered

I'd give if I could, but I'm essentially broke at all times (no work, low government assistance to keep me hovering just around the poverty line rather than plummeting to 'on the streets' poverty). Sadly, everyone I know who is into immersive fiction/ARGs is all people here, so I don't think even 'spreading the word' would help. But fingers are crossed that everything comes together, I'd hate to see the forums close down, it was you guys (well, whoever was around back when Halo 2 was still on the horizon - I feel old now, seeing as how we already have Halo 5) who showed me that that freaky site about bees that looked like it was being hacked was just a fun 'new' form of advertising, and the community here got me hooked on that whole class/genre of fiction, whether it's hawking a product or just all in fun.
the last fortress | 17:23:00
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:18 pm
hinoai
Decorated

Whoa! I wonder why they're charging you so much. I use the same webhost and pay less than $11/mo. Does UF use that much bandwith??

I get paid Friday so expect a recurring donation to be set up then!! I would also LOVE a women's v-neck shirt. I want to walk around town proudly proclaiming my affiliation with awesome. I know that Sean can't get access to his computers, but hopefully that will happen in the future.

I won't let this forum be shut down! Then Reddit would take its place, and nobody wants that to happen. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:22 am
PixiestixModerator
Resident Angry Midget

hinoai wrote:
Then Reddit would take its place, and nobody wants that to happen. Sad

AMEN!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:30 pm
Lysithea
Unfettered

I feel quite unobservant, given that I only just noticed this thread.

I hope that everything is going well on a technical level (the server migration sounds long overdue), as well as on the personal level (moving house can suck, even when it is planned in advance).

Long live UF!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:53 pm
OmegaX
Unfettered

Pixiestix wrote:
hinoai wrote:
Then Reddit would take its place, and nobody wants that to happen. Sad

AMEN!!!!!!

Not sure I get the Reddit hate... Better than 4chan, if nothing else.
the last fortress | 17:23:00
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:24 pm
punxtr
Die Hard Try Hard

I mean, if it can't naturally support itself anymore, it can only last so much longer. Sad A migration or rebirth of unFiction might be what is really needed here.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:35 pm
PixiestixModerator
Resident Angry Midget

punxtr wrote:
I mean, if it can't naturally support itself anymore...

First of all... you DO realize UF has NEVER "naturally supported itself" it has always been out of Spacebase's pockets. Out of his love for the genre, love for the community, and that's just rude.

Secondly, I believe the point of this whole effort is suddenly being missed because of a joke about Reddit. The biggest thing here is we need to keep UF open at the very least until we can find a way to preserve everything. ARGs by nature are fluid and unrepeatable. Websites change as the game progresses. Hell when games are over, often websites disappear forever u less someone has mirrored them - and even then it is usually just versions of them (such as Dread House/Dark Detour being as preserved as possible by Addlepated). Without UF, well over a decade of gameplay is gone. Many of us have made huge efforts to record important moments, repost images, gather crowdsourced character interaction in this one community location. We aren't the only location, but we are the oldest, and we have survived where others have died. If this dies, it isn't because the community has died off or moved it - it's because we are too cheap and just want to go to a free source. And that's sad. And frankly a slap in the face to those of us who made this place home long before.

I'm just as guilty, I think this was only the second time I've donated. BUT I volunteer my time and energy to help maintain the website, and I will be right there helping my family, yes FAMILY, migrate to a better and cheaper location - and stay UF.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:34 pm
morbus
Decorated

@Pixiestix: have there been any further updates from SpaceBass?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:37 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
 ICQ Number 
Page 1 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Updates » News & Rumors
Jump to: