Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
What is an ARG?
Read imbri's Quickstart Guide

The time now is Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:53 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Updates » News & Rumors
[Trailhead] Level 7
Moderators: Administrators, Moderators, ndemeter, Varin
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 12 of 13 [193 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
MsDirection
Boot

DR6 wrote:
MsDirection wrote:
I hope you're right about not requiring deep understanding of Java, because if that's required I'm just going to have lurk!

Protip: if you are going to learn enough to be able to follow this, be sure to learn Javascript and not Java! They are two completely different languages and Javascript is the only one that's relevant. (I'm saying this because you wrote "Java" instead of "Javascript" twice, so it seems like you think they're the same, and other people who don't know programming either could get confused too).

Edit: apparently the PMs are reading this or someone else made the mistake, because they just clarified on Twitter.

Thanks that's just me being lazy and irresponsible. I do actually know they're different but do appreciate the clarification for everyone's benefit. Still not getting getting anywhere with my > < of knowledge of programming, but I'm nowhere near exhausted and have excitedly noticed the new post on the website!

So glad to see everyone back at it!

PS they've opened their own forum... easier than looking here?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:11 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
NonEuclideanCat
Greenhorn

Kate615 wrote:
Also if anyone isn't working on that twitter puzzle, I can help with the current front page challenge if anyone wants.

I could use a nudge.

Spoiler (Rollover to View):
I threw the javascript into a practice program and got what I assume to be the correct sequence of numbers. I've also figured out what the quote on the front page is saying, though not exactly what it means. The bit about bases seems redundant and I can't make a good conversion to use the last bit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:26 am
Kate615
Boot

NonEuclideanCat wrote:

I could use a nudge.

I've found that a table showing ASCII values (ideally corresponding to multiple forms of encoding) is a good thing to have on hand for a lot of these puzzles.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:22 pm
NonEuclideanCat
Greenhorn

Kate615 wrote:

I've found that a table showing ASCII values (ideally corresponding to multiple forms of encoding) is a good thing to have on hand for a lot of these puzzles.

Just what I needed, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:58 pm
randyfuj
Boot

Kate615 wrote:
Also if anyone isn't working on that twitter puzzle, I can help with the current front page challenge if anyone wants.

Hi, just joined in here. What is the front page challenge? Is it related to the "function p" code on the front page of the site? Also, are people gathering here on UF or on the game's forum (or elsewhere) to discuss?

Thanks for your help in getting me up to speed Smile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:06 pm
Kate615
Boot

randyfuj wrote:

Hi, just joined in here. What is the front page challenge? Is it related to the "function p" code on the front page of the site? Also, are people gathering here on UF or on the game's forum (or elsewhere) to discuss?

The front page challenge is (currently, at least), finding and solving the "function p" code. It leads to a few more challenges.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:21 pm
randyfuj
Boot

Kate615 wrote:
randyfuj wrote:

The front page challenge is (currently, at least), finding and solving the "function p" code. It leads to a few more challenges.

So, have people already solved the front page challenge? I don't see anything posted about it anywhere.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:33 am
Jung
Veteran

randyfuj wrote:
So, have people already solved the front page challenge? I don't see anything posted about it anywhere.

Yes. There're people who have already solved it. It is not as difficult as it seems at first. There's more than one way to get it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:20 pm
MsDirection
Boot

New line of micro text on the home page

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:56 pm
Kate615
Boot

The LEVELS forum has a whole bunch of different stuff on the front page challenge, including a javascript tutorial.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:01 am
reesylou
Decorated

Have registered on the forum.... don't know how much I will get a chance to do, but at least I can work at my own pace.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:33 pm
emato
Unfettered

reesylou wrote:
Have registered on the forum.... don't know how much I will get a chance to do, but at least I can work at my own pace.

I have been struggling with the javascript code since I found it. I got to where I understand what it is doing and starting doing it manually - as in paper and pencil!

Today I saw that LEVELS has made a tutorial about the javascript challenge and I think that is so totally awesome! Also someone in the forum posted a very helpful bit about pulling it off. My problem was in making it output so I could see what it was doing. I'm still not clear on that, but the tutorial says it will add that part later. In the meantime, I am trying to convert it to pseudocode so that I can make it into python code -- just because I'm stubborn!

I do think I have the right answer done manually -- and when I checked it further - it was correct -- but I still want to be able to do it with JS and get the output! Just because I am stubborn.

I'm not sure what this is all about -- but I do know that LEVELS as it is, is like a dream come true for me. I like the help, the whole way it is. I am just so excited to check the latest about it -- here and there as soon as I am able. That is a GREAT thing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:52 pm
emato
Unfettered

Jung wrote:
randyfuj wrote:

Yes. There're people who have already solved it. It is not as difficult as it seems at first. There's more than one way to get it.

The totally cool thing about it is that in the forums, you can get help and they have started tutorials about it. And that is so cool to me.

Yes there are other ways to solve it, but if you want to be able to do it the way they suggest - javascript - they are providing tutorials for it.

Solving it does open up new challenges - and for the moment, at least at my level (must be zip!) they are also posted in the forums. The test is seeing if you can get there the way they are suggesting and pushing -- which is awesome to me!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:57 pm
NonEuclideanCat
Greenhorn

emato wrote:
My problem was in making it output so I could see what it was doing. I'm still not clear on that, but the tutorial says it will add that part later.

There is a particular line of code in JS that will spit out a requested value at the end of a function. I would recommend looking up tutorials on JS Functions, in particular.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:18 pm
reesylou
Decorated

W3schools is a great resource for learning all kinds of tech things. Even though I know enough JavaScript that I didn't need to refer to it for this (I looked at the code and wrote down the output), it is where I turn to if I am not sure of something.

http://w3schools.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:25 pm
Page 12 of 13 [193 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Updates » News & Rumors
Jump to: