Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Having Trouble with the Boards?
Ask in the General Forum
or email unforum /at/ unfiction.com

The time now is Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:03 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Updates » News & Rumors
[Trailhead] Level 7
Moderators: Administrators, Moderators, ndemeter, Varin
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 11 of 13 [193 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
reesylou
Decorated

Great finds all!!!

It sucks that this looks like it is starting up again right now. I have had some family stuff come up and probably won't be around much for a while Sad

Hopefully this is still going once life settles down. I will try to pop in every now and then to help if I can, but don't hold your breath.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:29 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
MsDirection
Boot

Reesylou You'll be missed! Hopefully we have lots of progress for you to check in on.

SO I private messaged LEVELS on twitter and asked about protocol for collaborating now that we're back online. They posted a little reminder in their website. And now that we solved the STEGANOGRAPHY it is no longer there.

More convinced than ever about a message in the video. I'm getting started. Starting with audio analysis. I think it's ok to share that much.

Will let you know as much as I can if/when I find something.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:42 pm
Jung
Veteran

damnatus wrote:
If you can't read that, it says "When playing ARGs, it can be a good idea to use software to monitor web pages for updates."

Nice catch. Looking close at the sentence you can read more than that. It reads:
Quote:
When playing ARGs, it can be a good idea to use software to monitor web pages for updates.
And when a page changes, never forget to look again at the source code.

So, looking at the source code:
Spoiler (Rollover to View):
A comment tag reads:
Never forget to check linked files when checking source code.
Then the third link leads to:
// Becoming familiar with Javascript will help with many ARGs…(followed by a function)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:33 am
MsDirection
Boot

EDIT TO THE BELOW:

I found the comment, and an online tutorial to help with my question in spoilers. Thanks, anyway - of course I welcome additional (allowed) input.

Ok seriously - if it won't breach the rules of the game - I have no idea where that "comment" was found.

I've been trying to look in

"View Page Source" to find info but...I just don't see anything useful. Not able to read or write Java. Do we think that a superficial understanding of it will allow me to participate in the game?

Help, if possible.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:38 am
themightymooker
Veteran

LEVELS has always been about teaching oneself NEW things. That being the case, I don't think they'll require an incredibly deep level (pun only sort of intended) of understanding as it applies to JavaScript or anything we must do (at least for now).

I, for one, am going to try out Codecademy and see what they can teach me.

Hope we can all get to the next step together!

ETA: I have tried on both Chrome and Firefox to find the link you are speaking of within the source code, but it must be quite hidden. Any collaborative hints on how you found it would be much appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:11 pm
MsDirection
Boot

I hope you're right about not requiring deep understanding of Java, because if that's required I'm just going to have lurk!

To clarify: I saw the comment, not the link, for which I am still searching. I'm taking the approach of searching how to HIDE a link in source code. We'll see what happens!

EDIT - I found the link. I think I can say without breaching protocol that you should not over think finding it.

RE: Video
I have tried unsuccessfully to identify the composer, period or title of the music. I feel like the game's creators are not doing anything by accident and if we can determine this it might be a clue.
Remember the cultural references in Level 5 registration.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:49 pm
DR6
Boot

MsDirection wrote:
I hope you're right about not requiring deep understanding of Java, because if that's required I'm just going to have lurk!

Protip: if you are going to learn enough to be able to follow this, be sure to learn Javascript and not Java! They are two completely different languages and Javascript is the only one that's relevant. (I'm saying this because you wrote "Java" instead of "Javascript" twice, so it seems like you think they're the same, and other people who don't know programming either could get confused too).

Edit: apparently the PMs are reading this or someone else made the mistake, because they just clarified on Twitter.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:56 pm
DR6
Boot

MsDirection wrote:

RE: Video
I have tried unsuccessfully to identify the composer, period or title of the music. I feel like the game's creators are not doing anything by accident and if we can determine this it might be a clue.
Remember the cultural references in Level 5 registration.

Someone figured it out in the Youtube comments.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:15 pm
emato
Unfettered

I'm so glad this is back! I have already learned something (at least one more thing) - as simple as it seems, I only today learned an easy way to look in the source code - ctrl u - at least in Windows and with Chrome. Before I would do the toolbar/more tools/source - which was a small window and not easy to navigate (for me anyway).

As for learning Javascript - I am going to hit up Codecademy. I started my Python path there.

Meanwhile, any good resources for searching through video files for hidden things? Software? Websites?

Excited to learn more!

ETA:
Also, anyone recommend a good program or extension to help monitor changes in web pages (as LEVELS suggested we do)? Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:43 pm
DR6
Boot

emato wrote:

ETA:
Also, anyone recommend a good program or extension to help monitor changes in web pages (as LEVELS suggested we do)? Thanks!

I've been looking for them, but all such services that I can find try to track the text that gets shown on the webpage, not the actual source. I'm trying to roll a script to do that myself.

I've gotten as far as finding a numeric code, but I don't know what to do with it: there's a bit more information about it now, but not enough.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:39 pm
emato
Unfettered

Why O why can't it be python? I just got my head around python. [sigh]

BTW:

The forum at LEVELS is open now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:21 pm
DR6
Boot

emato wrote:
Why O why can't it be python? I just got my head around python. [sigh]

BTW:

The forum at LEVELS is open now.

Because Javascript is the only language that actually works on websites. Anyway, if you know Python, understanding enough Javascript to understand this challenge is trivial.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:31 pm
emato
Unfettered

Quote:
Because Javascript is the only language that actually works on websites. Anyway, if you know Python, understanding enough Javascript to understand this challenge is trivial.

I understand about it being what works on a website -- just that I'm an old dog trying to learn new tricks! Laughing

Seems like I can almost relate it to python, to test it and see what it does with the numbers, but I won't know if I've translated it right. Rolling Eyes

[whine mode = off]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:44 pm
Kate615
Boot

Linked here from a friend of mine, I thought I'd say hi? I'm really enjoying the puzzles so far.

(Not super related, but is anyone else still working on the second Twitter puzzle? The

KCICJ etc. thing. I have spent ages on it and gotten precisely nowhere.)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:56 pm
Kate615
Boot

Also if anyone isn't working on that twitter puzzle, I can help with the current front page challenge if anyone wants.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:02 pm
Page 11 of 13 [193 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Updates » News & Rumors
Jump to: