Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
The Project MU Archives
Now available in stunning full-color print edition.

The time now is Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:55 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
[MOVIE SPOILERS] Spoiler Zone - You have been warned
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 5 of 6 [86 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Slaver
Boot

Good movie, really shocking. I wish that the movie itself would have convinced me to a certainty that there was no alien or monster, because the reveal, I imagine, would be undeniable shocking if you knew nothing about the film and expected it to be about John Goodman being nuts. Still don't see why JJ had to force this film into the Cloverfield franchise. I would have rather him said it was a blood relative and titled it something differently. I actually think it brings the film down as it gives the expectation of a monster or alien when I think the strength of the film is the double-bluff of there actually being one. Also, liking the original Cloverfield better, I also don't enjoy the title abuse for that reason, but the movie itself outside of the fact is very good. I enjoyed how relevant the ARG was as opposed to it being almost irrelevant to what's happening as in the original.

Speaking of which: Sexual favors to anyone who can manage a photo of the alien ship thing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:07 am
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
clemgrad2001
Boot

I thought it was great!!! Went and saw it last night, and super psyched that it's ok for my teen to go see it.

Anyone else wish that the scene with the mailbox was held out as a secret, making that the first time that we saw the connection? Not sure how it could have been pulled off, but it would have made for one hell of a shocker for all us ARGers!

Can't wait to see it again!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:00 pm
dmax
Unfictologist

That was two movies.

1) The bunker scenes, wondering if Goodman is a serial kidnapper or really just a survivalist. I'm thinking he might have filmed that whole movie not knowing a thing about Cloverfield.

2) once she escapes, it turns out the Goodman character finally got one right, and there was something Bad out there. Tacked on to make the original movie part of the Cloverfield story.

I didn't like that I already knew the bunker story, and the "game" didn't really veer from that plot. I smiled with the Futura/Slusho nods - which were irrelevant and likely added in during post-production.

So I give it a "meh" and so did the other two people with me, unfamiliar with the story but they had gone to Cloverfield with me back in the day, also gave it a "meh."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:02 am
columbus
Greenhorn

So do we know exactly if this takes place in the same universe as Cloverfield. I know its been discussed before but i'm just confused from what I know. I thought Howard working for Targuato and being on the same website used in the original ARG kinda confirmed it was in the same universe but it seems like they may not be. I know Dan said "Separate timelines" but what exactly does that mean?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:04 am
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

columbus wrote:
I know Dan said "Separate timelines" but what exactly does that mean?

It's like, same universe but alternate time line.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:41 am
JumboTron
Unfettered

Quote:
Trachtenberg stated that 10 Cloverfield Lane does not take place in the same fictional universe as Cloverfield.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_Cloverfield_Lane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:13 pm
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

JumboTron wrote:
Quote:
Trachtenberg stated that 10 Cloverfield Lane does not take place in the same fictional universe as Cloverfield.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10_Cloverfield_Lane

In the future, could you maybe save me a click, and link to the actual source of said quote, instead of just linking to Wiki which isn't a reliable source alone. Thanks...

so... I believe that's a misinterpretation due to multiple meanings of the term "universe" in this case. JJ has stated {and no I don't have a source right now} that it is the same universe. DT said there are connections between the two. I believe when DT said different universe he means like how DC has a "DC Universe" making all their comics connected, but has alternate universes {such as "DC 52"}.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:55 pm
dmax
Unfictologist

JumboTron wrote:

Seriously with the avatar? If you're wanting me to think you're just offensive, mission accomplished, including me not expecting your posts to be more than trolling as well.

I'm certain it's not "wrong" but there's a fine line between clever and stupid.

I realize others may or may not agree with me. And starting a big discussion about your avatar may be exactly what you're hoping for. But I've said my piece and am done.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:18 pm
CynAnne
Decorated

Pixiestix wrote:

I believe that's a misinterpretation due to multiple meanings of the term "universe" in this case. JJ has stated {and no I don't have a source right now} that it is the same universe. DT said there are connections between the two. I believe when DT said different universe he means like how DC has a "DC Universe" making all their comics connected, but has alternate universes {such as "DC 52"}.

I went and found a couple articles specifically quoting J.J. on the 'relationship' between 10CL and Cloverfield, Pixie...

"We subsequently reached out to Paramount Pictures for comment, who provided Collider with this exclusive statement from J.J. Abrams himself:
The idea came up a long time ago during production. We wanted to make it a blood relative of Cloverfield.

http://collider.com/cloverfield-2-secret-movie-10-cloverfield-lane/

And this most recent quote...

"10 Cloverfield Lane has a connection to the original Cloverfield in its DNA; in the feeling we had working on it. We realised this felt like it was part of something bigger," Abrams said. "As we were working on the movie, we realised it could be part of an anthology of stories, but at the same time they're connected in a way that most anthologies aren't and there's a bigger idea we're playing with."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/jj-abrams-discusses-10-cloverfield-lane-connections-1549018

Hope that helps. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:08 am
hinoai
Decorated

CynAnne wrote:
Pixiestix wrote:

I believe that's a misinterpretation due to multiple meanings of the term "universe" in this case. JJ has stated {and no I don't have a source right now} that it is the same universe. DT said there are connections between the two. I believe when DT said different universe he means like how DC has a "DC Universe" making all their comics connected, but has alternate universes {such as "DC 52"}.

I went and found a couple articles specifically quoting J.J. on the 'relationship' between 10CL and Cloverfield, Pixie...

"We subsequently reached out to Paramount Pictures for comment, who provided Collider with this exclusive statement from J.J. Abrams himself:
The idea came up a long time ago during production. We wanted to make it a blood relative of Cloverfield.

http://collider.com/cloverfield-2-secret-movie-10-cloverfield-lane/

And this most recent quote...

"10 Cloverfield Lane has a connection to the original Cloverfield in its DNA; in the feeling we had working on it. We realised this felt like it was part of something bigger," Abrams said. "As we were working on the movie, we realised it could be part of an anthology of stories, but at the same time they're connected in a way that most anthologies aren't and there's a bigger idea we're playing with."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/jj-abrams-discusses-10-cloverfield-lane-connections-1549018

Hope that helps. Very Happy

So basically, they "aren't the same world or timeline or anything important, even though they use the same bacground characters and setup."

Lol, whatever he wants, we are stuck with. It's not what I hoped for, but I guess that if I think of it as they are all possible manifestations of how Tagruato can have a hand in screwing up the world, I can go for it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:38 pm
The Game Breaker
Veteran

i think it would be cool if the next cloverfield film was like a documentary on an investigation of the tagruato company.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:21 pm
CynAnne
Decorated

Yes...!

The Game Breaker wrote:
i think it would be cool if the next cloverfield film was like a documentary on an investigation of the tagruato company.

I like this idea, very much...combining the 'found footage' approach (which I love) along with interviews, reports, etc. would work really well - especially once the investigators realize that Tag is 'onto them'.

"Run, reporters...run!"

Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:00 am
hinoai
Decorated

Re: Yes...!

CynAnne wrote:
The Game Breaker wrote:

I like this idea, very much...combining the 'found footage' approach (which I love) along with interviews, reports, etc. would work really well - especially once the investigators realize that Tag is 'onto them'.

"Run, reporters...run!"

Wink

Same! I'm not sure that they can use the found footage again. What about something more like a "live broadcast" of a group sneaking inside to gather answers?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:10 am
CloverfieldClues.com
Entrenched

Pixiestix wrote:
JJ has stated time and time again that Clovie was not an alien, and it was def a satilite falling out of the sky.

My memory may be fuzzy after 8 years... However, I looked around for a quote that supports this, but I couldn't find anything. Do you happen to know where you read that?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:22 pm
Slaver
Boot

CloverfieldClues.com wrote:
Pixiestix wrote:
JJ has stated time and time again that Clovie was not an alien, and it was def a satilite falling out of the sky.

My memory may be fuzzy after 8 years... However, I looked around for a quote that supports this, but I couldn't find anything. Do you happen to know where you read that?

It was eluded to enough to at least assume if they've desired otherwise, it was a recent decision.

I believe the satellite was confirmed to some extents by staff and others during interviews referencing its discovery, and Cloverfield was always intended to be a Kaiju from the ocean, as repeatedly mentioned by JJ and Neville Page.

Obviously it was left of a bit open to avoid possible development of the franchise.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:00 pm
Page 5 of 6 [86 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
Jump to: