Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
What is an ARG?
Read imbri's Quickstart Guide

The time now is Fri May 26, 2017 1:32 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
[MOVIE SPOILERS] Spoiler Zone - You have been warned
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 4 of 6 [86 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
CynAnne
Decorated

Perhaps...

danteIL wrote:
Here's my best guess of the possible timeline:

[snip]

At some point after this, Brittany (the girl in the movie) went missing because Howard kidnapped her. I don't remember if Emmett indicated how long ago Brittany went missing, so not sure on the exact timeline. My psychological analysis is that Howard wanted to replace Megan. He dressed Brittany up in Megan's clothes and kept her in the first small bunker/cellar, but ended up killing her eventually, maybe when she tried to escape.

[snip]

On this account, I'm still not sure why he would have let Emmett into the bunker. Even if Emmett fought his way in, surely Howard would have had no problem killing him anyway, just to be alone with Megan/Michelle?

Still haven't seen the movie (*sniffles*)...moving on...

Hey, dante...it's possible that Brittany's death was a genuine accident (or an illness, maybe) - in Howard's mind, that would be 'something beyond his control' (and perhaps a reason that it happened so often as an 'event' in the SIM we played) and why he needed a 'new Megan'.

As to Emmett, the practicality of having a 'strong back/critter-bait' to assist Howard would be reason enough to keep him around, for as long as he was still useful.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:51 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
CloverfieldClues.com
Entrenched

bermudalife wrote:
I think the biggest bummer about the ARG is that, unlike Cloverfield, it can't really continue now that the movie is over. At least with the Cloverfield ARG there was government information we could find, and there were other characters related to the world, but not in the movie. Now, the main person that was doing all of this is dead, so we won't hear from him anymore.

The only hope to continue the ARG until Blu-Ray release would be that Nikolai Roza could still post on FaPT warning Howard, or talking about the attack, since he doesn't realize Howard is dead, but other than that, it kind of seems like we've seen the end of the ARG.

Denise or Megan could still post, after hearing the news about the alien attacks. THey might even feel bad, because Howard was right, and he tried to warn them, but they just wouldn't listen.

No one ever listens until it's too late. Mad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:27 pm
hinoai
Decorated

Saw the movie last night, but hadn't slept for five days and was still on a deadline!! I've finally slept and turned in my work, so I can gush about it.

I LOVED IT! I know that it wasn't a movie with another MGP, but that was the only spoiler that I'd let myself see before the movie, so I had already reconciled myself with that fact. I think that allowed me to really enjoy it as something different, something part of a bigger picture of the Cloverfield Universe.

One thing that I'm wondering about is whether all of these things are actually taking place in the same universe. I want them to be, because then all of these connections behind the scenes involving Tagruato matter. If it's some alternate universe with an AU Tagruato, then what is the point in trying to connect them at all? I'd love to ask JJ's thoughts on this.

Anyways, as for the movie itself, John Goodman was AMAZING. Wow. I grew up watching him in Roseanne and in other comedy roles. I can't remember seeing him in anything dramatic like this. He played Howard with such nuance that it was riveting to watch, at least for me! Some actors are just great at what they do, and I agree with Vanity Fair that he deserves an Oscar for this performance. I feel like it's possible that this movie will be discarded by award organizations, but it shouldn't be. It really shouldn't.

My take on the missing girl is that he kidnapped her (most likely another opportunity kidnapping), and used her as a substitute for Megan. I bet that it happened right after Denise and Megan left him. I don't think that he sexually abused her, or that he was trying to entice Michelle in that way either. Rather, he was frustrated at not being able to protect his daughter, so he kidnapped both of them at times when the feeling was really intense. The stuff in the ARG leading directly up to the movie, including the last-minute calls and text messages was GREAT! I feel like it was clear that he wanted Michelle because he couldn't have Megan with him.

He didn't want Michelle and Emmett to get physically close because, to him, she was still a little girl (the word game made it clear to me when he couldn't guess "woman"). Despite the fact that she was obviously old enough to be married/engaged. He wanted to protect her, and genuinely saw Emmett as a threat to the safety of his "little girl." So, he dressed up nicely and shaved in an attempt to make her look up to him, think that he was a nice guy. I'm not sure why the sudden switch, though. I think it could be either that he thought that she was going to be scared of him, so he wanted to present a softer image, or that he was proud of himself for finally "protecting" her. In other news, shooting Emmett, though. I NEVER saw that coming. Wow. So intense. Seeing the decomposing body, too, was a real eye-opener. Even though you knew what he was doing, it was still shocking to see it.

I really do wonder what happened to Megan. I'd love to see Denise write again on Howard's page, or something, anything, to let us know what really happened. Maybe we're not meant to know, but it's going to be gnawing at me for some time.

In the end, I can't wait to see it again!!! My roommate, who didn't participate in the ARG with us, but listened intently to my excited chatting about it these last few months, pointed out that there might be something to the address on the Bold Futura envelope in the movie. I'd love to see a screencap of that and see if it leads anywhere. Doubtful, but still something interesting!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:44 pm
The_Stoned_Ape
Boot

hinoai wrote:
I'd love to see a screencap of that and see if it leads anywhere. Doubtful, but still something interesting!!

Here is a brightened image, its the same address as Tagruato has always had in the contact section of tagruato.jp - 18 Palace Plaza 36-40-10 Marunouchi Marunouchi, Tokyo 118-8336 Japan - https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/146051091459604481/157705734547701761/IMG_20160310_232542.jpg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:05 pm
The Game Breaker
Veteran

My thoughts on the movie

Okay guys and gals so i got to finally see the film earlier today and wanted to post about it sooner but i was stuck at work so here are my thoughts:

1.What a tense film! John Goodman did such a great job with his character. He made me feel uncomfortable the whole time. MEW and JGJ did an amazing job as well.
2. the ARG didn't mesh that well with the film and i honestly think a part of that reason is because the ARG wasn't put together that well anyways. I did REALLY enjoy the segment with Emmett putting together the cat puzzle and realizing pieces were missing. having that moment in there was a very nice touch.
3. The Megan twist was unexpected. I was thinking she was dead or something but the brittany/megan swap threw me for a loop. Made Howard even more creepy for me.
4. The scene with emmett lying about the scissors was so dark. did not see that coming and having Michelle walk past the barrel afterwards my brain was not prepared for it.
5. I accepted, before going to see this film, that the monster wasn't going to be like the original MGP but i thought the aliens were still very interesting. The dog like creature i thought for sure was a parasite from the first cloverfield until it got closer and i was like "woah WTF is that?!" My only complaint was that i thought it was a little silly that Michelle was able to take down the whole ship with one measly Molotov. As bad ass as the moment was i was having a hard time buying it. One thing someone pointed out earlier in this thread was about the tendrils on the ship and how MGP had similar tendrils make me believe that he/she was in fact alien.
6. The ending was an interesting clifhanger. Having Michelle head off to Houston to help fight back the invasion was really neat and i don't think anyone has said it yet but i think it would be awesome if they were able to tie the first movie with this one by having Michelle run into Lily in the 3rd movie. We all know Lily survived by getting away on that first helicopter and it would be cool to see her fighting back as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:51 pm
aromerogern22
Boot

^ I believe that Lily had Medical Training so she could have hypothetically taken to a medical military lifestyle after the first MGP attack in Cloverfield.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:09 pm
Cherry
Decorated

Re: My thoughts on the movie

The Game Breaker wrote:

My only complaint was that i thought it was a little silly that Michelle was able to take down the whole ship with one measly Molotov. As bad ass as the moment was i was having a hard time buying it.

I finally got to see the film this evening! John Goodman is amazing, he went from the dad I always wished I had in Roseanne (mine left when I was 18 months old never to be seen again) to a dad I am glad I never had.

You aren't the first person to say this about Michelle being able to blow up the ship-creature thing so here's my take on why it actually worked.

In the scene just before when the giant ship-creature thing starts attempting to gas the area we see the gas as it rolls over the still smouldering bunker area and the gas ignites in a small fireball. So that tells me the gas the creature-alien thing emits is flammable. The creature is full of this gas so when Michelle tosses in the molotov cocktail it's not really that which causes the alien-creature thing to explode but the gas the thing emits.

All in all, I liked the film though Michelle's response when she climbs up on the truck and sees the ship thing flying around sums up my feelings regarding this turning out to be an alien film "You've got to be kidding me." Setting aside the last 15 minutes of the film, I dug it.

Even though the stupid Wall Street Journal spoiled the alien part for me, I still enjoyed it.

I do wish the ARG would have included some newspaper story or something mentioning Brittany's disappearance or gave us some concise answers as to whether Megan is alive or dead but hey - the game still kept my attention and the movie was enjoyable so what more can I really ask for?

I went to a 6pm showing today so there weren't many people in the theater. I did stand up and ask everyone in the theater (which was apparently extremely annoying to some folks even though neither movie nor previews had started and the lights were still all the way up) if there was anyone there who had participated in the ARG. Not one single person responded yes. After the movie a small group of young folks came and asked me for more information so I directed them here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:19 pm
hinoai
Decorated

The_Stoned_Ape wrote:
hinoai wrote:
I'd love to see a screencap of that and see if it leads anywhere. Doubtful, but still something interesting!!

Here is a brightened image, its the same address as Tagruato has always had in the contact section of tagruato.jp - 18 Palace Plaza 36-40-10 Marunouchi Marunouchi, Tokyo 118-8336 Japan - https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/146051091459604481/157705734547701761/IMG_20160310_232542.jpg

Ooh, thank you, The Stoned Ape! Too bad that it turned out to be that same old address. :/ Oh well!

I'm with Cherry on the theory about why the Molotov cocktail worked.

It did seem like the aliens were tacked on at the end. Maybe it was the design or something... I'm not sure why they felt so weird. It would have been better as a monster movie, but I guess they needed something more trackable so that Howard knew when to go into the bunker. It seemed like he knew a lot more details about the aliens than he revealed, or that we learned from him in the ARG.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:52 pm
The Game Breaker
Veteran

Cherry you are so right about that gas. Totally forgot about that moment with the gas igniting. Thanks for reminding me!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:05 pm
LockNLoad
Boot

Re: My thoughts on the movie

Cherry wrote:
In the scene just before when the giant ship-creature thing starts attempting to gas the area we see the gas as it rolls over the still smouldering bunker area and the gas ignites in a small fireball. So that tells me the gas the creature-alien thing emits is flammable. The creature is full of this gas so when Michelle tosses in the molotov cocktail it's not really that which causes the alien-creature thing to explode but the gas the thing emits

Totally agree, but I can't help but think that destroying the monster is just a big fart joke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:32 pm
Headman
Entrenched

So when Michelle was describing the story to Emmett of when she witnessed the man being mean to his daughter and she turned away avoiding the situation was she actually witnessing her own captor Howard being mean and harming Megan as told by Denise? She did say she finally had enough and left once he covered her mouth to keep her quiet. Perhaps he was acting out in public and Michelle witness one of his episodes?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:36 pm
Last edited by Headman on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:15 am; edited 2 times in total
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

Now that I've seen the movie, and can read this thread...

danteIL wrote:
And Michelle suddenly turns into Macgyver/ninja warrior?

Uh, suddenly? She was kinda Macgyver the whole film.

CloverfieldClues.com wrote:
The monster in the first movie was probably an alien too. What do you think was falling out of the sky and into the ocean at the end of Rob's video?

JJ has stated time and time again that Clovie was not an alien, and it was def a satilite falling out of the sky.

~~
I frakking loved the film! It was really good. I think the people most disappointed are the ones who went in hoping for another Cloverfield, and I can see why that would get to you. JJ gave you certain expectations by using that in the name... But man oh man by dropping those expectations, I was able to REALLY enjoy the film. Universe or not Smile
I did make the mistake of seeing it in a theater with "buttkicker rumble seats(tm)" {think "The Tingler!" and SCREAM!!} which was quite distracting {It would have been fine if it went off when say, the car or helicopters went by, but it was rumbling with the music sometimes and that was annoying} but that had nothing to do with the film makers so.... Yeah. Highly enjoyable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:06 am
gimlet
Unfettered

Just saw it, it's late here so I'm gonna be brief until tommorow, but I just loved it! Even if the arg was lacking in moments, I'm super ok with having devoted so much time to something that led to such a great movie. My babysitter had no idea about the ARG but was all excited when I got home, and told me she's heard there's a whole podcast about it she want's to listen to and I was all LOL internally. I think it's going to do well.

I think having no particular personal connection to Cloverfield may have helped me enjoy it totally... because all I ultimately wanted was something along the lines of an "Alien" and boy oh boy it delivered.

Dan is a super promising director, and I'm excited to see what both he will do next... and what this new Cloverfield Anthology series is gonna turn out to be.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:47 am
Cherry
Decorated

Pixiestix wrote:

I did make the mistake of seeing it in a theater with "buttkicker rumble seats(tm)" {think "The Tingler!" and SCREAM!!} which was quite distracting {It would have been fine if it went off when say, the car or helicopters went by, but it was rumbling with the music sometimes and that was annoying} but that had nothing to do with the film makers so.... Yeah. Highly enjoyable.

We saw two rows of these when we went into the theater. They were labeled D-Box Reserved. When the film let out we went over and tried the demo seats in the lobby. They showed a trailer for some comic character movie and the seats moved then a character got punched or when the music was dramatic. My friend and I both said we thought those seats would be hella distracting unless you were watching some sort of first person type movie or a movie that had some neat flight/ car chase shots but otherwise gave them a thumbs down.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:18 am
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

We only saw it with those seats because as of Tuesday it was the only theater in the area Fandango claimed was showing it. For now on we are going right to the theater, because our normal theater was indeed showing it tonight. Sad ah well... my own fault.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:21 am
Page 4 of 6 [86 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
Jump to: