Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Got a jones for some uF swag?
Visit Ye Olde Tradin' Post!

The time now is Tue May 30, 2017 9:06 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
[MOVIE SPOILERS] Spoiler Zone - You have been warned
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 3 of 6 [86 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
CloverfieldClues.com
Entrenched

aromerogern22 wrote:
Monsters are different than Aliens.

The monster in the first movie was probably an alien too. What do you think was falling out of the sky and into the ocean at the end of Rob's video?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:09 am
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
aromerogern22
Boot

CloverfieldClues.com wrote:

The monster in the first movie was probably an alien too. What do you think was falling out of the sky and into the ocean at the end of Rob's video?

Maybe... But, now we have "bio-mech aliens" that look like satellites. And the creatures looked drastically different.

Plus, this movie takes place 7 years later and they don't ever mention the NYC incident in 08 from Cloverfield. I know that the actors didn't know the title of the movie till it was done filming but still...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:17 am
slusho!666
Boot

CloverfieldClues.com wrote:
aromerogern22 wrote:
Monsters are different than Aliens.

Here's my take on this:

The creature from the first movie is a mutated sea creature, evolved from an extraterrestrial substance (deep sea nectar?) at the bottom of the ocean. We knew the nectar situation before, but assuming the substance itself is extraterrestrial means we can uphold that the thing falling out of the sky was the Tagruato satellite as the game suggested without buying into a "it was an alien" redaction.

If MGP was a mutated sea critter, the substance that was at the bottom of the ocean (and also being churned out by Tagruato in Slusho! products, a link that I have a lot of questions still about...I mean, we saw the effects teh raw substance had on Jaime so I wonder how diluted it must be in the market product) could easily be related to the aliens in this film, right?

I'm also digging the theory here that each film will focus on a subsidiary of Tagruato. I think there is good work to be done expanding the universe in a meaningful way, and one that the game could continue to encompass beyond this film.

Some lingering post-viewing thoughts (I'm going again this weekend to get a better feel):

1) Holy fuck, it is scary to think that the protagonist (if we can call him that) of our game was such a goddamn monster (heh) vs the first game where we got to know Rob and co. I like that it doesn't create any empathetic connections to Howard, rather leaves you guessing as to his intentions. It definitely is a weird choice by the PMs and I think that means there are more threads to discover. Maybe something about the girl that was murdered? It wouldn't make sense to go back to Howard's stuff since we are clearly not supposed to side with him.

2) So....he definitely sexually assaulted that girl he murdered, right? His whole 'daddy protecting the princess' thing, his shaving after murdering Emmett, the tee shirt. That was really fucking dark. My husband and I both got that vibe, but I am interested to see if anyone else did.

3) How cool would it be for someone near Houston to try that AM station and find a message?

4) I really dug that the alien attack was such an aside to the bunker things. I also think that Michelle wasn't as phased as she could have been knowing what happened in 2008. People are aware of the initial attack, and I feel like a new film (which could already be in production, if we are to believe the film JJ signed on last December is Cloveruniverse) would address the universe more directly.

5) I'm really hoping there is more to uncover here, but I enjoyed that this film was impossibly tense and always turning, always changing. It took hostage films and alien films and turned all of their conventions on their heads.

6) Where do you guys think the Cloveruniverse will go from here? Hopefully a new story, right? I get the anthology idea now.

I'm a fan. I'm really happy with this. That freaked me out in a good way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:14 am
aromerogern22
Boot

slusho!666 wrote:

Here's my take on this:

The creature from the first movie is a mutated sea creature, evolved from an extraterrestrial substance (deep sea nectar?) at the bottom of the ocean. We so I wonder how diluted it must be in the market product) could easily be related to the aliens in this film, right?

Some lingering post-viewing thoughts (I'm going again this weekend to get a better feel):

I'm a fan. I'm really happy with this. That freaked me out in a good way.

I am a huge fan of the first movie; Cloverfield.

Now I am going to post cause I feel like you out a really positive spin on my negative movie experience.

I truly feel like it was a rushed concept to make it tied to Cloverfield in any way. The 3rd act/last 20 minutes felt so rushed.

JJ would need to blatantly subject the Tagruato/ARG storyline in order for me to feel satisfied. There is SO much info now if this is anything other than a styling or anthology series

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:37 am
Red Walrus
Unfettered

So were the missing catfish puzzle pieces in the dropbox ammo case? If so that is extremely cool.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:44 am
TheGeekGurrl
Kilroy

Super 8 - Cloverfield - 10 Cloverfield Lane = ANSWERS

I figured it out (possibly) how these are all connected in the larger Cloverfield universe. In Super 8 if you look at the styling of the creature compared to MGP and tonight's offering you will notice they all share similar if not identical anatomical structures. Super 8 is actually the first movie and the first known encounter with MGP and their species. In that one MGP had crashed and had a bad run-in with the locals save the doctor and the young boy who helped him escape. Re-watch the movie and you will see that MGP has the same anatomical structure - including gooey tentacles - as the MGPs from tonight. Plus, in the final scenes when MGP left he built his ship around himself and it was similar if not identical to the ship/suits we saw tonight. MGP left as far as we know, but in that movie we learned that sans encounter suit/ship they resemble a smaller version of MGP from Cloverfield.

Plus, MGP can disrupt power lines and electrical signals in Super 8. That was in 1979 so imagine what they can do to cell towers and power grids in 2016.

JJA said that MGP in Cloverfield was a baby and was asleep until being awakened. MGP as a species looks like they are an aquatic or amphibious creature. Perhaps they get smaller as they get older or there are different versions that are different sizes. Either way we know MGP on the ocean floor was already here. Perhaps they originated from here and left or once MGP made it home some of his species came here and went underwater. We just don't know what happened in the last thirty years between Super 8 and Cloverfield, but clearly they are the same entity.

In Cloverfield, MGP woke up and went on a rampage through Manhattan. Remember the mutant killer lice with the bites? Sans armor if you re-watch the skitterers they resemble the hunting entities we saw tonight. This could be a species they use to do the grunt work. MGP in Super 8 wasn't above eating people and tonight Michelle was nearly eaten. Again, we don't know their motives, but for the most part they are hostile and seem to regard people as a lower life form. Probably due to MGP's disastrous encounter during Super 8.

At the end of Cloverfield we learned that MGP survived being carpet bombed and that something fell from the sky before the attack. Either we woke up MGP or MGP was awakened by the ones who are space-faring. Tonight, MGP and company returned and wreaked havoc in the Southeast. We learned they use a biomechanical suit that enables them to travel in space and in an atmosphere. They are vulnerable only when the armor is lowered in order to eat.

At this time we don't know if we are at war with MGP and his species as a result of the disastrous encounter in 1979. However, one look at their combined anatomies reveals that the critters are all related genetically. The how and why is what we still don't understand per JJA who hasn't given us that "aha"...for now.

JJA also has stated that the NGP from Super 8 and MGP from Cloverfield aren't related, but when you check the backstory for MGP from Cloverfield it lines up with the info we learned from the ARG regarding the Soviets, satellites, and tracking spaceships in our air space.

TGG

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:31 am
aromerogern22
Boot

JJ has stated that Super 8 was in no way related to Cloverfield or its universe/timeline. Unlike, 10 Cloverfield Lane where he not only used and milked the key name in every trailer and even the opening scene of the movie but he even called it a "blood relative" and gave us the reason to believe that it was even stylistically similar to the 08 blockbuster, but it wasn't.

I would love for JJ to have never said anything about Super 8 not being related to the Clover-verse because I agree with your theory of how all those stories could tie into together at least in the MGP anatomical aspect.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:36 am
aromerogern22
Boot

Maybe JJA and the co. at BR.

Honestly; there are SO many broad similarities between the three movies:
•Russia
•Space Exploration
•Satellite Communications
•Japan

Then we have shared Hollywood similarities:
•Same Monster Designer
•Same Production Company
•Similarly Marketing Strategies (and gimmicks)

And then broad ARG similarities:
•Slusho Branding
•Tagruato Branding and Subsidiaries (i.e. Bold Futura, Slusho!)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:49 am
mzsooze
Boot

Red Walrus wrote:
So were the missing catfish puzzle pieces in the dropbox ammo case? If so that is extremely cool.

I would say yes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:26 am
NickyTea
Boot

Anyone else feel the ARG ended up being somewhat incompatible with the finished film? I'm having trouble reconciling the Howard we met in the game, and the one that is ultimately revealed in the film.

When are we supposed to imagine the game taking place in relation to the movie? Prior to his abducting Brittney to "replace" Megan? I have a hard time believing he'd be doing this outreach with FaPT while she is there. After he killed her? Doesn't feel consistent with his level of madness. And if the answer really is just "He's crazy, it doesn't matter," I find that disappointing.

Ending with the hidden image of the ship coming to earth certainly implies it takes place immediately before the film, so I suppose the period of time between Brittney and Michelle is a safe bet, but that is a tough pill for me to swallow. I guess Howard's mind "resets" with each new Megan. Sigh.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:03 pm
aromerogern22
Boot

NickyTea wrote:
Anyone else feel the ARG ended up being somewhat incompatible with the finished film? I'm having trouble reconciling the Howard we met in the game, and the one that is ultimately revealed in the film.

When are we supposed to imagine the game taking place in relation to the movie? Prior to his abducting Brittney to "replace" Megan? I have a hard time believing he'd be doing this outreach with FaPT while she is there. After he killed her? Doesn't feel consistent with his level of madness. And if the answer really is just "He's crazy, it doesn't matter," I find that disappointing.

Ending with the hidden image of the ship coming to earth certainly implies it takes place immediately before the film, so I suppose the period of time between Brittney and Michelle is a safe bet, but that is a tough pill for me to swallow. I guess Howard's mind "resets" with each new Megan. Sigh.

I would say that the catfish puzzle is a nod to the fact that some of the ARG was just a game and not that important, i.e. It would not match with what we thought it would be in the film, so we got catfished.

But I have a feeling this ARG will only evolve into the ARG for The God Particle and will ultimately answer the majority of our clover-verse/Tagruato ARG questions.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:46 pm
danteIL
Unfictologist

Here's my best guess of the possible timeline:

Howard, Denise and Megan lived in Louisiana when Megan was a young girl. Sometime when Megan was 12 or 13 or so, Denise finally left Howard and took Megan with her to live in Chicago.

At some point after this, Brittany (the girl in the movie) went missing because Howard kidnapped her. I don't remember if Emmett indicated how long ago Brittany went missing, so not sure on the exact timeline. My psychological analysis is that Howard wanted to replace Megan. He dressed Brittany up in Megan's clothes and kept her in the first small bunker/cellar, but ended up killing her eventually, maybe when she tried to escape.

Some time passes and Howard (and Emmett) begins building the bigger bunker (perhaps because Howard got wind of the weird satellite stuff) It still isn't clear to me whether or not Megan is still alive, but after seeing the movie I think she is -- but Denise has a restraining order and has never let Howard see her. Even so, he never gives up on the idea of Megan coming to be with him. (creeeeeepy)

As the time of the movie approaches, the weird satellite stuff gets weirder, so he sets up FaPT to reach out to Megan in desperation, hoping to still save her. However, we intervene, Denise cuts him off, and he fails to make contact with Megan.

The movie happens: Howard realizes the attack is here, sees Michelle and kidnaps her too, and brings her to the bunker as his new Megan replacement. Acid ensues.

On this account, I'm still not sure why he would have let Emmett into the bunker. Even if Emmett fought his way in, surely Howard would have had no problem killing him anyway, just to be alone with Megan/Michelle?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:51 pm
CloverfieldClues.com
Entrenched

aromerogern22 wrote:
But I have a feeling this ARG will only evolve into the ARG for The God Particle and will ultimately answer the majority of our clover-verse/Tagruato ARG questions.

Why do you think "The God Particle" will have anything to do with Cloverfield? I've seen this bandied about, but JJ Abrams is always working on 108 different things at once. Star Wars takes place in space too, but it's not related.

Has there been anything that actually points to this being connected?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:00 pm
slusho!666
Boot

NickyTea wrote:

When are we supposed to imagine the game taking place in relation to the movie? Prior to his abducting Brittney to "replace" Megan?

That was my big point--it's so fucking weird that the ARG made us familiar with a certified monster rather than the protagonist of the film.

I think Emmett said Brittany went missing a 'couple of years ago', so I don't think the outreach occurred simultaneously. It happens after, once Howard hears word something big is coming.

All I know is I need to know more.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:10 pm
bermudalife
Boot

slusho!666 wrote:
NickyTea wrote:

When are we supposed to imagine the game taking place in relation to the movie? Prior to his abducting Brittney to "replace" Megan?

That was my big point--it's so fucking weird that the ARG made us familiar with a certified monster rather than the protagonist of the film.

I think Emmett said Brittany went missing a 'couple of years ago', so I don't think the outreach occurred simultaneously. It happens after, once Howard hears word something big is coming.

All I know is I need to know more.

The one question I have was, would Howard go to work at Bold Futura, and leave Brittany locked in that mini-bunker room? Maybe that's why she had the time to scratch the word, HELP, into the window?

Other than that, I see the correlation between the ARG and the movie. I mean, the ARG lead right up until the first public showings of the movie, at 7pm last night (at least west coast time), so it pretty much worked out perfectly.

I think the biggest bummer about the ARG is that, unlike Cloverfield, it can't really continue now that the movie is over. At least with the Cloverfield ARG there was government information we could find, and there were other characters related to the world, but not in the movie. Now, the main person that was doing all of this is dead, so we won't hear from him anymore.

The only hope to continue the ARG until Blu-Ray release would be that Nikolai Roza could still post on FaPT warning Howard, or talking about the attack, since he doesn't realize Howard is dead, but other than that, it kind of seems like we've seen the end of the ARG.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:41 pm
Page 3 of 6 [86 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
Jump to: