Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Having Trouble with the Boards?
Ask in the General Forum
or email unforum /at/ unfiction.com

The time now is Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:43 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
[MOVIE SPOILERS] Spoiler Zone - You have been warned
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 6 [86 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
v37
Decorated

[MOVIE SPOILERS] Spoiler Zone - You have been warned
If you have seen the movie and wish to discuss please do so here.

Figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a jump-start on this as we get closer to premier day and more and more information gets out. If you have any spoiler info about the movie from either seeing it or reading about spoilery things, and you wish to discuss please do so here and not within any of the other non spoiler threads.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:52 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Slaver
Boot

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

So there's a lot of talk that this movie is an alien invasion movie. And that makes sense considering all the ufo related stuff. As a movie with Cloverfield in the title, I'd like to be the first to officially say that the idea of that is fucking bullshit. Super 8 was an alien film that could have easily been reworked as a title instead. Even if they chose not to do that, JJ could have at least been open from the start and said that this film was something totally different. Blood relative? Is there a stronger type relative? It suggested more of a connection, at least in my opinion.

I'm sure it will be a great movie (judging by the source material), and I'm probably really enjoy it, but honestly, Cloverfield (the Kaiju plot) is a much more refined fiction in both the strength ARG and the concept. The original film itself may have been more of a horror-ride than a developing story-line, and this is where the new film will succeed, but its essence is much more hallow if you throw Cloverfield into the title, because you're immediately holding back audiences from having a fresh opinion of the film when you associate it via title to one of the greatest ARG and film hype experiences in recent history.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:21 am
hinoai
Decorated

Yeah, I read about the alien thing too, and was a bit like, "really?" towards it. But I'm not opposed, as long as it builds on the story that we've come to know so far. In fact, it might be cool!

There was a lot of talk in Cloverfield that the monster itself may have come from space. I personally think that it did, and was hibernating on the ocean floor until Slushi awoke it. That's sort of what I'm hoping for here, if the alien rumors are true.

I will reserve my final judgment until I've seen the movie, though!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:12 am
Slaver
Boot

hinoai wrote:
Yeah, I read about the alien thing too, and was a bit like, "really?" towards it. But I'm not opposed, as long as it builds on the story that we've come to know so far. In fact, it might be cool!

There was a lot of talk in Cloverfield that the monster itself may have come from space. I personally think that it did, and was hibernating on the ocean floor until Slushi awoke it. That's sort of what I'm hoping for here, if the alien rumors are true.

I agree, a tie in with aliens to the Cloverfield monster would be very interesting. A lot of Godzilla enemies come from space, so a space kaiju is nothing new to get upset about. In fact, a tie in would explain the strange history of the creature. A newly hatched prehistoric creature that exists at the bottom of the oceans for centuries and is that big? It raises a lot of evolutionary questions, and extraterrestrials would serve to answer a lot of them, which is cool.

However, until a tie in happens, I am very annoyed at the sudden plot dump. I just can't understand what reason they would have to call this movie Cloverfield besides a con. They could have tied it in with Cloverfield later and still have called it something else to not get people's hopes up. Kaijus aren't as overplayed as aliens, so people get rather excited about their giant monster movies, including me. The redirection is going to leave me very uncomfortable, considering I could watch 80 minutes of Clover just smacking his head against buildings, because I love the son of a bitch.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:32 am
hinoai
Decorated

We already have a tie-in in the form of Tagruato. It's all behind-the-scenes, but that's what was so great about the first movie-- that there was so much more to it than what was shown on-screen. At least for me. Smile

It may or may not be literally related to MGP, but as long as it takes place in the same universe and isn't a Twilight-zone-esque scenario where they are all stand-alone new universes that just happen to be creepy, I will be happy.

Especially if each movie paints Tagruato and related companies as the architects of all of this chaos.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:57 am
CynAnne
Decorated

Slaver wrote:
hinoai wrote:

I agree, a tie in with aliens to the Cloverfield monster would be very interesting. A lot of Godzilla enemies come from space, so a space kaiju is nothing new to get upset about. In fact, a tie in would explain the strange history of the creature. A newly hatched prehistoric creature that exists at the bottom of the oceans for centuries and is that big? It raises a lot of evolutionary questions, and extraterrestrials would serve to answer a lot of them, which is cool.

However, until a tie in happens, I am very annoyed at the sudden plot dump. I just can't understand what reason they would have to call this movie Cloverfield besides a con. They could have tied it in with Cloverfield later and still have called it something else to not get people's hopes up. Kaijus aren't as overplayed as aliens, so people get rather excited about their giant monster movies, including me. The redirection is going to leave me very uncomfortable, considering I could watch 80 minutes of Clover just smacking his head against buildings, because I love the son of a bitch.

And that 'MGP was hibernating on the ocean floor until Slushi awoke it' idea is almost directly corroborated by the doomed Atsumi saying, "We even tried using the (unknown) remnants. We can't get a link. It hasn't...(unknown)"

http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=520377#520377

Whatever BF built/created to try to 'relate' to the just-awakened Clover apparently failed...and Clover went all MGP on them after the 'snafu'.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:22 am
Cherry
Decorated

Hope it's okay that I'm giving this thread a lil' nudge to the top since the NY premier was tonight as well as in several other cities. Just hoping all spoilers end up here instead of all over the board.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:38 pm
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

hey guys, if you have movie SPEC post in a SPEC thread. For spoilers and discussion about the film, you know, after someone has seen it - then go right ahead and post here in the land of spoilers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:17 am
mzsooze
Boot

I will be seeing it later tonight. Cannot wait!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:18 am
kosmopol
I Never Tire of My Own Voice

Oh, I suppose, I will get spoiled, on purpose. If the ARG will move along, I cannot wait for the end of the March.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:40 pm
mzsooze
Boot

kosmopol wrote:
Oh, I suppose, I will get spoiled, on purpose. If the ARG will move along, I cannot wait for the end of the March.

Spoiled on purpose? I thought I had done that to myself by reading the leaked script for The Cellar. I am happy to report that wasn't the case for me.

The ARG did nothing for me, but help provide some laughs while watching the movie. I am still really freaking confused about Megan.

Don't want to post too much.... not sure what you are prepared for. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:27 am
ryanj64
Decorated

I saw the movie tonight. Lots to discuss.. but I haven't seen any spoilers yet so I am a little shy to post them just yet.. lemme know if you have any questions!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:55 am
mzsooze
Boot

ryanj64 wrote:
I saw the movie tonight. Lots to discuss.. but I haven't seen any spoilers yet so I am a little shy to post them just yet.. lemme know if you have any questions!

I feel the same.

Did the whole Megan thing confuse you too? I thought the photos were supposed to be the same girl, just one is a more current one. My brother brought up the fact that Howard may have been trying to find a "Megplacement."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:21 am
steady
Boot

mzsooze wrote:
ryanj64 wrote:

I feel the same.

Did the whole Megan thing confuse you too? I thought the photos were supposed to be the same girl, just one is a more current one. My brother brought up the fact that Howard may have been trying to find a "Megplacement."

That's exactly it. Searching for a replacement. "One big happy family". I loved the movie. There was this constant eerie tone throughout the film. Had a very Cabin in the Woods feel to it. Almost like a Hitchcock movie.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:30 am
ryanj64
Decorated

[quote="steady"]
mzsooze wrote:
ryanj64 wrote:

I feel the same.

This was a twist that was kind of unexpected and intriguing. Makes me wonder if this whole time we are playing the ARG, that he has this girl trapped in his bunker.. Very eerie. I didn't think it had any blatant sexual undertones, thank god, just a replacement. Also notice how after the event at the barrel takes place he suddenly shaves.. got a bit more creepy after that haha.

I feel like there were a lot of nods i might have missed in just enjoying the film.

After watching the movie i watched JJ's interview with Colbert, and from watching that I really got the vibe that he wants to connect these through Tagruato. Maybe Parafun is up next or yoshida medical.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:54 am
Page 1 of 6 [86 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
Jump to: