Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Your continued support keeps uF running!

The time now is Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:11 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
[DEAD DROP] New deaddrop. "A phone. A special one".
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 3 of 10 [144 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 8, 9, 10  Next
ObFuSc8
Decorated

danteIL wrote:
I posted in the other thread, but I want to make it clear that the issue isn't with the dead drop, or even one person retrieving it. My problem is with the fact that the dead drop information was withheld and retrieved before anyone else knew about it.

I'm just catching up, and I see what you're saying. It looks like there was an attempt to post something to reddit, and it was asked to be deleted until after the dead drop was secured. Living in Chicago, of course I wish the info had been posted - the clue they gave was really easy. But the way I look at it, if TheMagicJesus lived in Chicago, he's have just gone after it himself. In this case, he had someone else go instead. *shrugs*

I understand why they don't want to post the phone number of the cell found in the dead drop - so it doesn't get slammed. That's reasonable.

What I don't understand, is why they aren't posting the number in that phone for "Howard.' This is just my opinion, but that makes no sense to me - unless that was explicitly stated somewhere in the clues/instructions. (In which case they should just come out and say that.)
    - This dead drop was the next "step" forward in this ARG.
    - Most of us here know Bad Robot have used phone numbers in many previous ARGs, this is hardly their 1st go at this, and there's no one we need to "protect" from a flood of calls (at Howard's #).
    - That being the case, I highly doubt the Puzzlemasters would have set up a phone number for Howard that wasn't equipped to deal with a flood of calls.
    - Howard has hinted MANY times about morale & the last post at FAPT /LPI even says "NOW I JUST HOPE YOU'LL FIND A WAY FOR US TO SURVIVE TO THE VERY END TOGETHER."

Either way, I expect either a nudge at FAPT, or another set of clues, if the PMs want Howard's number out there. They should have a back up plan.

** DISCORD CHAT:** I thought I'd post the link for the public Discord chat on 10CL here. A lot of people playing the SIM have apparently been on it. I haven't tried it out, but it seems to be where the "real time" stuff is getting posted, even before reddit. So if the people who have the dead drop stuff decide to share Howard's phone number, it might pop up there first.

https://discordapp.com/invite/0o1ePTJbyI3jJ6Jw

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:26 am
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
v37
Decorated

Ok, all caught up, some big developments for sure. I'm pretty excited for the girl who retrieved the dead drop, the fact it was in a locker reminds me of the miniseries The Lost Room for some reason. Could you imagine if John I mean Howard was to call in character!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:10 am
kelwhite01
Unfettered

I think they are assuming that Howard's phone number is another cell phone, and the voicemail will instantly fill up. I think it's more likely that it's an automated system that will auto call from a preprogrammed script. It wouldn't really matter if she calls, or if a thousand people call, it will do it's thing according to script.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:27 am
punxtr
Die Hard Try Hard

Dead drops are dead drops Smile This is so flipping old school I just can't... this is what ARGs used to be Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:34 am
KidBitter
Greenhorn

ObFuSc8 wrote:

What I don't understand, is why they aren't posting the number in that phone for "Howard.' This is just my opinion, but that makes no sense to me - unless that was explicitly stated somewhere in the clues/instructions. (In which case they should just come out and say that.)

I've been at the Discord chat since day one and have been there overnight. Originally registered this account to get involved with some of the Slender Man Mythos, but ended up never using the account. The assumption is that the number isn't supposed to be shared due to the message from Howard. Part of it reads "MEGAN, AS PROMISED - A PHONE JUST FOR YOU AND ME TO TALK. KEEP IT HIDDEN SO YOUR MOTHER DOESN'T (RUIN?) THIS TOO."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:57 am
booba
Unfictologist

Thanks Kid-
People were wondering if there was a reason for keeping it on the QT.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:16 am
The Game Breaker
Veteran

Reddit is in shambles right now.

Everyone is losing their minds over there over this dead drop debacle. I guess this is what happens when you set up an ARG with real world rewards to collect. Mugen did a great job with the box he and his wife discovered because he shared literally everything with the community. If there is one thing ive noticed through this arg and the first cloverfield arg, its that people want their information asap...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:41 am
fearghus10
Boot

aromerogern22 wrote:
So now that she has the phone, what's the next step in the game?

I think she needs to text Howard.

Sit and wait AGAIN!!! Then you have to ask yourself will she share the info gets after all SHE CANT LET HER MOTHER FIND OUT AND RUIN IT. Ready to just watch the movie and appreciate it for what it is Bang Head

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:59 am
Falco
Decorated

pretty pissed about the dead drop. i keep considering joining the discord chat but have been like mehhh...if i had joined i coulda gotten the dead drop myself and theres no way on earth i woulda withheld any info...the ARG is OURS....why should i miss out on hearing JG's magical voice cause a handfull of people decided it'd be gamebreaking :/ :/

i still dont get how they figured which locker and what school?? someone halp?

EDIT: jk i finally got thru the mess on reddit and figured out life. sigh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:01 am
ObFuSc8
Decorated

KidBitter wrote:
ObFuSc8 wrote:

I've been at the Discord chat since day one and have been there overnight. Originally registered this account to get involved with some of the Slender Man Mythos, but ended up never using the account. The assumption is that the number isn't supposed to be shared due to the message from Howard. Part of it reads "MEGAN, AS PROMISED - A PHONE JUST FOR YOU AND ME TO TALK. KEEP IT HIDDEN SO YOUR MOTHER DOESN'T (RUIN?) THIS TOO."

Yeah I saw that. And while we may not be "Megan," we certainly are not "Mother". I mean we all played the SIM (which also says it's "for Megan"). If the Puzzlemasters had wanted Howard's number (or the dead drop for that matter) to be kept quiet, they would have come right out and said that. There's a Bad Robot ARG that not too many people know about, that's supposed to be kept quiet/done alone, and it explicitly states that anyone playing isn't supposed to talk/post about the puzzles or answers.

EDIT:

**Megan's Phone (video):** So helveticatt posted this video about half an hour ago:

https://youtu.be/_vrAkgyO-Ys

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:06 pm
Slaver
Boot

Seems that the phone thing isn't too big a deal at the moment. I'm assume they're going to leave her messages over time and she'll be our source of that. Believe it or not, I support the lack of number sharing, at least for a week or something, just to be sure. She seems grounded, so I'm glad she got it. But then again, I hope she's not an informant, but I doubt it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:26 pm
hinoai
Decorated

I'm firmly in the camp that's thinking that it's fair to give Dad's number out. That's why I posted Megan's phone number here a few posts back. We all deserve the same information as the girl who picked up the phone.

Honestly, I'm hoping that there is another avenue that we've forgotten about that could yield results. Putting it all in the hands of person who won't share information leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and tbh I feel like she doesn't deserve to be a part of this game any more (though that's not my call to make-- and I understand that, unlike she who thinks that she has the right to control the flow of information). Any ideas from other leads that we could be overlooking, guys? Maybe the audio files from the other DD? There were numbers in there. There must be something that we can do.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:43 pm
Slaver
Boot

hinoai wrote:
I'm firmly in the camp that's thinking that it's fair to give Dad's number out. That's why I posted Megan's phone number here a few posts back. We all deserve the same information as the girl who picked up the phone.

Honestly, I'm hoping that there is another avenue that we've forgotten about that could yield results. Putting it all in the hands of person who won't share information leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and tbh I feel like she doesn't deserve to be a part of this game any more (though that's not my call to make-- and I understand that, unlike she who thinks that she has the right to control the flow of information). Any ideas from other leads that we could be overlooking, guys? Maybe the audio files from the other DD? There were numbers in there. There must be something that we can do.

Supposedly it doesn't do anything when you call so it's probably not an avenue that we can explore. I think it makes more sense that the phone was given to her so that she'll get random pre-recorded messages from John Goodman at random. But if after a week she doesn't reveal the number of at least the dad, I'm going to get irked as well. I get her not giving out the cell's number, but the number of the dad, idk.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:51 pm
hinoai
Decorated

Slaver wrote:
Supposedly it doesn't do anything when you call so it's probably not an avenue that we can explore. I think it makes more sense that the phone was given to her so that she'll get random pre-recorded messages from John Goodman at random. But if after a week she doesn't reveal the number of at least the dad, I'm going to get irked as well. I get her not giving out the cell's number, but the number of the dad, idk.

I feel like it's going to be a pre recorded message too, or a text message. But I am for fairness. This is a game played by everyone, and the discoveries that everyone made were what made it possible for her to even get the drop in the first place. Everyone deserves all of the information that this one player has, whether it's useful or not. Does that make sense? She acts like she has the right to control information just because she picked up the DD (using all of the work that has went into the ARG so far), when in fact she doesn't have that right. It's not her game. The guy who picked up the first DD handled it so much better.

The fact that I can't do anything but complain (it certainly helps that a lot of people on Reddit seem to agree with me, as it blew up on its own last night into a huge argument) makes me want to find another avenue. Something else to work on. There has to be something....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:01 pm
Slaver
Boot

hinoai wrote:
She acts like she has the right to control information just because she picked up the DD (using all of the work that has went into the ARG so far), when in fact she doesn't have that right. It's not her game. The guy who picked up the first DD handled it so much better.

Actually, she doesn't act like anything. I don't know what you're watching, but she DID release the numbers, and she got absurd amounts of phone calls and messages that made it impossible to stay anywhere near the phone. How are you going to even work the game if your phone is constantly buzzing with every dick and jane making calls. Putting a phone number on redit is a bad idea to begin with, let's be real here. She swears that she's keeping the phone on her side and to immediately give us any info on texts, calls, etc.

Fairness, in this case, is a bit one sided I think. There's absolutely NOTHING to gain by us having the number of either the dad or a real life woman's newly found cellphone. The ARG is meant to be this way if you want results, be patient. This isn't like Tagruato, no one is going to get an email if we call the number, it's supposed to be the dad, and he would only call his daughter. Even so, I'm sure the dad's number will be given out at some point (I told the girl to do as much and I'm sure she'll oblige after a while, not that it will change anything), but like she said, it's just a machine, probably designed to filter out our bullshit calls in case she did release the number.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:28 pm
Page 3 of 10 [144 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 8, 9, 10  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
Jump to: