Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
What is an ARG?
Read imbri's Quickstart Guide

The time now is Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:15 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
[Slightly OT/META] Game Actions affecting the film?
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 2 of 3 [36 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
danteIL
Unfictologist

Pixiestix wrote:
CloverfieldClues.com wrote:
BTW, should all this documentary talk be in a separate thread?

In reality, it belongs in a different subforum. I figured it would die down after a couple posts and we could go back to complaining about lack of in game updates LOL but yeah.... let's drop that now {or move discussion down to the Meta forums}

Ugh, there have been no new in game updates!! Double-ugh!!! ARG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:11 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
v37
Decorated

Since we are talking about documentaries....

Pixiestix wrote:
CloverfieldClues.com wrote:
BTW, should all this documentary talk be in a separate thread?

In reality, it belongs in a different subforum. I figured it would die down after a couple posts and we could go back to complaining about lack of in game updates LOL

I would like to see a documentary about how ARG's bring complete strangers together from every walk of life and might hold the key to World Peace.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:11 pm
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

Re: Since we are talking about documentaries....

v37 wrote:
I would like to see a documentary about how ARG's bring complete strangers together from every walk of life and might hold the key to World Peace.

I believe you may be interested in game guru Jane McGonigal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:55 pm
gimlet
Unfettered

Pixiestix wrote:
v37 wrote:

Man that book bothered me.

The saving the world through games stuff was so... glib? Like, it's an interesting theory but it's clearly a gimmick (a gimmick she believes in I think, but a gimmick never the less).

The retrospective of her actual projects and the hugely influential ARGS she's worked on were far more interesting to me. But I like to see flaws and warts and where things break down when I learn about something, no matter how wonderful & world changing. I think you can learn way more from messy but honest than sterile perfection.

Been actually thinking of starting an recommended reading ARG booklist thread in META...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:12 pm
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

She's not my cuppa tea, but it's not a gimmick. She lives and breathes it. She was the very first keynote speaker at ARGFest in 2005, and was working on her thesis about it back then. The book came after much other stuff...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:19 pm
gimlet
Unfettered

Pixiestix wrote:
She's not my cuppa tea, but it's not a gimmick. She lives and breathes it. She was the very first keynote speaker at ARGFest in 2005, and was working on her thesis about it back then. The book came after much other stuff...

Yeah, glib's not entirely the right word, becuase as I said I think she believes it. But there's something... shallow about it all that I just didn't get. The kind of people who are suuuuuper into it are also off putting.

Also Would general Meta OT be a good place to start a reccomended reading list?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:23 pm
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

I want to say we had one at one point... but yeah, that would work.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:31 pm
v37
Decorated

Pixiestix wrote:
v37 wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion! I will look for something from her in audio book format as my commute is the only way I get any 'reading' done these days.

gimlet wrote:
Also Would general Meta OT be a good place to start a reccomended reading list?

Great idea!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:40 pm
hinoai
Decorated

Wow, this thread made me really excited! I'd never heard about Jane, and I still know nothing about her, but I'm definitely going to be looking her up. Also looking forward to the recommended reading list!

I just went to the meta forum, and saw someone talking about watching a Doc on The Institute, so now I'm watching it, and WOW! That looks like it was so much fun/awesome!! I hope to get to participate in something like that someday.

Also, I know I'm jumping all over the place, but YESSSSSS Blair Witch! I was SO into the Dossiers, novels, hidden signs, and crazy backstories for that, before I'd even ever heard of ARGs. I often use it to explain to people why the Cloverfield ARG was so brilliant, but most of my friends just don't understand. I think that they just don't like to think so hard about their entertainment. Too bad.

I just took major trips down both New Discovery Lane and Memory Lane so excuse my excitement!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:05 pm
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

Like we said, that The Institute was full of fabrications. It is a docudrama at best. JeJune was fraking amazing for the people who did participate, I suggest finding someone and asking them to tell you about it. No one illegally broke into a house, there was no real missing girl.... Blah (it's worse than the docudrama about Toynbee Tiles!)

Mike Monello told a great story at ARGFest 2010 of those scenes where they are in the store asking locals about the tales, and some of them were plants but most of them were honestly just locals who were in that moment. No prep, nothing fed to them. The child who keeps covering his mom's mouth, that wasn't planned! And in a bank so where is money for one individual who was an extra in that came and never came forward later, so she never was paid. Obviously, This is the fast not interesting version lol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:39 pm
slusho!666
Boot

Pixiestix wrote:

I like McGonigal's stuff. I wrote my undergraduate thesis on transmedia narratives and ARG play using the original Cloverfield game as my case study with reference to larger games in the history of ARG.

You may also enjoy reading Henry Jenkins. He's got a lot of content on ARGs and transmedia stuff that I found easy to get through without losing the heart of the game/media.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:41 pm
gimlet
Unfettered

Started my Reccomended Reading thread here:

http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1062455#1062455

It's thorough but not exhaustive, feel free to contribute & discuss. When I was reading stuff there's a lot that's hard to track down or OOP, so I tried to avoid those.

Yeah, Jenkins is fine. Certianly more approachable - but still kinda academic. Also more fan centric which is not my thing. Haven't really found my "go to" guy yet. Maybe that book just hasn't been written yet?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:01 pm
Last edited by gimlet on Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
wyokid
Boot

So who else is excited about watching Megan see Deadpool five times to record the 10 Cloverfield Lane trailers to get the GPS coordinates?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:16 pm
kosmopol
I Never Tire of My Own Voice

Jane is cool. She definitely is a Game Master - where "Game" equals "Existence". I played her "Last Ring" (and helped there a little Wink), and her characters are vivid and charismatic. (I even tried to forget, it's for Olympics in Beijing, where not everything was okay, but hey, The Lost Ring was for me much more interesting than Olympics).

She is rather painter with humans happiness than a storyteller, so be prepared for inspired and happy people smiles rather than a deep story though (which is not bad, but de gustibus non est disputandum).

Another documentation of ARGs is "This is not a game" by Dave Szulborski. I enjoyed this ARG Must Read, and Dave was just awesome... Dave...

Thank you gimlet for starting lecture thread, I willl post there my reads.

It reminds me the collapsed LOST ARG "Dharma Recruiting", where money were run out and Puppet masters - Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof themselves read books with people. For somebody it was cheesy, I loved it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:50 pm
danteIL
Unfictologist

I could say a lot more on this topic (I love me some META) but in general I have to say that I, too, find Jane McGonigal glib. She has done a great job articulating the notion of integrating games into everyday experiences, but she has made overblown claims for her ideas, and I find her approaches often quite rigid.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:55 pm
Page 2 of 3 [36 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
Jump to: