Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Having Trouble with the Boards?
Ask in the General Forum
or email unforum /at/ unfiction.com

The time now is Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:51 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
[Slightly OT/META] Game Actions affecting the film?
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 3 [36 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
aromerogern22
Boot

Ok, just wanted to make sure I didn't post it in the wrong sub-file.

Man, it seems like the first ARG didn't require as much forum debating or discussion.

Has anyone considered that maybe our actions in the ARG may in turn affect the movie?

For example, I'm thinking it might be possible that Megan is going to arrive for her survival kit at the coordinates that were found with the empty satsuma bottle, but she'll find nothing because we got there first...

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:55 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
hinoai
Decorated

I mean, the movie is already finished shooting, editing, and scoring, so I'd say not. I don't think they would add a scene because we reacted a certain way in the ARG.

If you meant get they assumed we would find it (and didnt actually react to our actions), it's possible. That would actually be cool. But how would they explain that without going meta?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:43 am
aromerogern22
Boot

hinoai wrote:
I mean, the movie is already finished shooting, editing, and scoring, so I'd say not. I don't think they would add a scene because we reacted a certain way in the ARG.

If you meant get they assumed we would find it (and didnt actually react to our actions), it's possible. That would actually be cool. But how would they explain that without going meta?

I don't think they would need an explanation.

For instance, if by the time Megan would HYPOTHETICALLY arrive to the coordinates for the first survival kit and she was somehow able to communicate regularly with her Dad (RadioMan70), she may be able to tell him, "I don't see anything, nothings here!" and then he'd throw a big ol' fit about those people that "hacked" his site - might even tie it into the hacktivists that compose of the majority of T.I.D.O.

That's just my looooooong stretchy theory! LOL

EDIT:
The only reason this makes sense to me is because the ARG for this movie has been SO real, from the Amtrak fire, to the ISS satellite communication logs, Swamp Pop and more - that it feels like the ARG might be tied into the movie literally instead of figuratively like in the first movie.

Maybe, as the true fans who participated in the ARG we'll get the special treat of unknowingly to the general public, but knowingly to the players of the ARG that we are unspoken and unknown characters in the movie.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:01 am
hinoai
Decorated

It's certainly possible, and I'd be very excited to see that! I doubt they will, but you never know!

I sort of felt that way about the first movie, though. Not that I was a character, really, but I did feel special because I knew who that girl was on the couch and why she was there, what a Slusho was, and (sort of) why this monster attack was happening in the first place. I also felt like it was really happening. That's actually one of the huge reasons that I loved Cloverfield so much; it felt like it was really happening in real life.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:14 am
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

The film is made. While that concept is great, it's illogical and impractical, and no, not even slightly possible.

They didn't know anyone would hack the sim game, even if they did think it was possible, there was no guarantee. And thank glob someone was available to get the dead drop, and while I would hope they would come up with some other way to get it out if no one could, there is no way to assure it would be picked up. The best they could do is maybe use the swamp pop tie in to somehow track addresses of players, to assure someone lived near enough. but again, not a guarantee. Our actions aren't assured, even in the best written and planned game, players are a fluid x factor.

Usually promo ARGs are run by people with limited info, sometimes going as far as to not even having the right hand and the left hand knowing what the other is doing. Very often you end up with a situation like the first Cloverfield, or the grandfather of all ARGs "The Beast" where the ARG itself has VERY LITTLE to do with the actual film while still building out the universe in some fashion.

Sure, they could have a scene filmed where JG was burying an ammo box - it would have had to have been filmed ages ago, and probably ages before it was even a thought from the PM team.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:51 am
CynAnne
Decorated

Pixiestix wrote:
The film is made. While that concept is great, it's illogical and impractical, and no, not even slightly possible.

They didn't know anyone would hack the sim game, even if they did think it was possible, there was no guarantee. And thank glob someone was available to get the dead drop, and while I would hope they would come up with some other way to get it out if no one could, there is no way to assure it would be picked up. The best they could do is maybe use the swamp pop tie in to somehow track addresses of players, to assure someone lived near enough. but again, not a guarantee. Our actions aren't assured, even in the best written and planned game, players are a fluid x factor.

Usually promo ARGs are run by people with limited info, sometimes going as far as to not even having the right hand and the left hand knowing what the other is doing. Very often you end up with a situation like the first Cloverfield, or the grandfather of all ARGs "The Beast" where the ARG itself has VERY LITTLE to do with the actual film while still building out the universe in some fashion.

Sure, they could have a scene filmed where JG was burying an ammo box - it would have had to have been filmed ages ago, and probably ages before it was even a thought from the PM team.

It could still be added at the end of the movie, after the credits, 'found footage' style...the owners of the horse ranch using their cell-phone to 'catch' Howard in the act of burying the box, and them "...shooing him away...", as they said...

That would be hilarious...and a most-welcome 'nod' to us. Rock On

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:11 am
kosmopol
I Never Tire of My Own Voice

They could make an alternate ending though, and distribute it via DVD/BluRay. This is where additional insider informations can be packed, without to confuse the usual viewer.

Cloverfield distributions were pretty nice with dancing Jamie and Slusho.

I wonder what they will do this time.

The awesome thing could be - not for this, but for next BR productions accompanied by ARG - to make 1) an immersive, transmedial experience, 2) to run it worldwide how they did with Star Trek ARG, 3) to make a documentary about this sociocultural phenomenon (like that Twin Peaks fan summit documentation in Twin Peaks Golden Box). This would be an awesome tribute to communication and reciproc inspiration of sender and reciever. But the next ARG, with more ideas from PMs and more participation from players.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:18 am
gimlet
Unfettered

kosmopol wrote:
They could make an alternate ending though, and distribute it via DVD/BluRay. This is where additional insider informations can be packed, without to confuse the usual viewer.

Cloverfield distributions were pretty nice with dancing Jamie and Slusho.

I wonder what they will do this time.

The awesome thing could be - not for this, but for next BR productions accompanied by ARG - to make 1) an immersive, transmedial experience, 2) to run it worldwide how they did with Star Trek ARG, 3) to make a documentary about this sociocultural phenomenon (like that Twin Peaks fan summit documentation in Twin Peaks Golden Box). This would be an awesome tribute to communication and reciproc inspiration of sender and reciever. But the next ARG, with more ideas from PMs and more participation from players.

It's so weird this hasn't happened already over all these years. Best we have is the Institute, and that's not really a documentary.

I want a real, imbeded, documentary on the behind the scenes making of an arg. Draw back the curtain. It's more than time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:18 pm
kosmopol

^^^ This!
Such documentation would be a signifcant contribution to the history of transmedia genre. BR-people, you're chance Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:24 pm
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

OH MY GLOB! Do you know why there aren't any documentaries about ARGs? Because it is actually a really boring thing to do. If it is an ad camp, it involves a lot of meetings, a lot of red tape, and a lot of not even knowing who is on the other parts of the teams {ie: writers might not know the puzzle people, who might not know the website people, etc etc}. It is sitting behind computers. It is just..... writing. It's like asking for a documentary about Stephen King writing a book - all you are going to see is him scratching his butt, eating midnight snacks, and type type typing away.

Most ARGs, especially recent ones, don't involve doing much. A bunch of people sitting around computer screens. Sometimes you get some amazing live meet or dead drop, but that's becoming less common. Frak, even The Institute, which was about an AMAZING experience I will always be jealous that my friends got to participate in, was more fabricated than not BECAUSE it is a BORING thing to doooooooo.

Grassroots games can be more fun to create, because your hands aren't tied and you tend to know everyone on the small team. Even then, Trust me, making an ARG is not a fascinating experience. I spent three years sitting behind my computer, skyping with people from all over the world planning before I had to bow out due to personal tragedy. That was about it. Boring.

{this is so off topic.... but what else are we gonna do, right?}

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:45 pm
kosmopol

Well, Pixie, I can say from my own experience: it's not boring at all. But you're right: grassroots. I did two ARGs here (at uF), they were rather grassroots (without real meetings, without financial management, actually with 0-Budget). I did one with my pal from somewhere in virtual space, and one only by myself, but we/I had A LOT of fun playing with people, communicating via characters, making videos and websites, building puzzles and contents and responding to them via spontaneus plot changes. People find things you haven't intended to hide, and so you try to build these non-intended founds into the story. And: all of these ARGs weren't collapsed (like so many commercial ARGs) and had - I hope - satisfying for players ending.

One day I will document them (in rather transmedia way with ingame and meta contents). I have now just... lack of time.

So I don't know, how boring is it to make a commercial ARG with fix plan and event management, but making ARG in general is really really thrilling.

And this experiences enrich one and becomes everlasting great memories.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:02 pm
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

You misunderstand what I mean by boring. It is boring to watch someone else do it.

I know people who find doing taxes thrilling, doesn't mean it's worth watching them do it. A documentary watching people debug a computer program, or hide whois files.... okay fine, making a video might be entertaining. Small part of over all picture though right? You enjoyed what you did, had fun, but can you see a documentary about it? Something more than just a small behind the scenes video?

Honestly, I think the Blair Witch has great behind the scenes docus for the marketing {ARG before ARG!!!} And I *LOVE* the behind the scene stuff from ARGs, it's why I went to ARGFest and sat thru panels from games I sometimes didn't even play. I can sit there and listen to a discussion about it, just like I could listen to Stephen King discuss his process for HOURS {sigh}, but watching him actually doing it? nah.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:12 pm
gimlet
Unfettered

Pixiestix wrote:
You misunderstand what I mean by boring. It is boring to watch someone else do it.

I know people who find doing taxes thrilling, doesn't mean it's worth watching them do it. A documentary watching people debug a computer program, or hide whois files.... okay fine, making a video might be entertaining. Small part of over all picture though right? You enjoyed what you did, had fun, but can you see a documentary about it? Something more than just a small behind the scenes video?

Honestly, I think the Blair Witch has great behind the scenes docus for the marketing {ARG before ARG!!!} And I *LOVE* the behind the scene stuff from ARGs, it's why I went to ARGFest and sat thru panels from games I sometimes didn't even play. I can sit there and listen to a discussion about it, just like I could listen to Stephen King discuss his process for HOURS {sigh}, but watching him actually doing it? nah.

Uh, you're conflating the many thousands of hours of work involved in the process of making something being tedious and boring with the process of making that something not being interesting to a documentary.

It's called editing. You can make anything interesting with good editing. Especially things that are actually interesting on the whole, despite all the minutia of work that goes into them.

Like Pixar movies, or video games, or yes, novels, or individual albums, or single season fashion lines, or any media project... All of which have many, many fascinating documentaries about them.

There are incredible documentaries about typefaces, spelling bees, single iconic photographs. A good filmmaker would have no problem making the subject of ARGs compelling.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:47 pm
Last edited by gimlet on Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
CloverfieldClues.com
Entrenched

All documentaries are boring, if they are not about a subject you are interested in.

BTW, should all this documentary talk be in a separate thread?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:04 pm
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

CloverfieldClues.com wrote:
BTW, should all this documentary talk be in a separate thread?

In reality, it belongs in a different subforum. I figured it would die down after a couple posts and we could go back to complaining about lack of in game updates LOL but yeah.... let's drop that now {or move discussion down to the Meta forums}

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:08 pm
Page 1 of 3 [36 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
Jump to: