Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
What is an ARG?
Read imbri's Quickstart Guide

The time now is Sat May 27, 2017 5:15 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
[SITE] Survival Sim
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 13 [189 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13  Next
danteIL
Unfictologist

[SITE] Survival Sim
food, water, fuel, fun!

Creating a new thread for Howard's survival simulation.

This appeared on http://funandprettythings.com/lifepreservinginformation/

Howard added the following:

Quote:
LIFE INSIDE A BUNKER IS GOING TO BE A CHALLENGE. ESPECIALLY SINCE WE MAY HAVE TO STAY DOWN THERE FOR A FEW YEARS. ITíS IMPORTANT TO BE PREPARED Ė NOT JUST WITH SUPPLIES AND GEAR, BUT WITH THE KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT TO DO ONCE YOUíRE DOWN THERE. ITíS GOING TO BE A DIFFERENT KIND OF LIVING,WITH NO ROOM FOR MISTAKES.

I MADE SOMETHING TO HELP YOU GET READY. IT MAY JUST FEEL LIKE A LITTLE GAME, BUT IT CONTAINS A LOT OF IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO HELP YOU LEARN WHAT ITíLL TAKE TO SURVIVE.

HTTP://FUNANDPRETTYTHINGS.COM/SURVIVAL_SIM/LATEST

I HOPE YOU LEARN QUICKLY FROM IT.

LOVE,

DAD

Clicking that link takes you to the simulation.
IMPORTANT EDIT: You have to go through the funandprettythings.com "do you want to talk?" password first. Cannot click there directly from here, it seems.

Eventually we can try to explain how it works, but for now I am wondering:
    a) if it can be "won" (I got to 299 days), and if so does something else open up?
    b) if we can hack it somehow to get at a terminal or something

EDIT2: I've seen "The Martian" so I know that the way to win is to take your poop and grow potatoes. Howard doesn't seem to have considered that option.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:21 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
punxtr
Die Hard Try Hard

Time to reach that leader board Smile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:33 am
catherwood
I Have 100 Cats and Smell of Wee

Re: [SITE] Survival Sim
food, water, fuel, fun!

danteIL wrote:
Clicking that link takes you to the simulation.
IMPORTANT EDIT: You have to go through the funandprettythings.com "do you want to talk?" password first. Cannot click there directly from here, it seems.

You cannot click on the link directly from here, no, but you can skip the prompts and go straight to http://funandprettythings.com/lifepreservinginformation/ first and click the SIM link from there.

(I've been avoiding the "Pretty In Pink" prompt all along, going to the CHAT page* directly. One could also use that to link to the survivalist page, but since it opens in a new window, it tells me you can skip all the prompts.) *And now I see that it does NOT work to click on that link to the CHAT page from here, but typing that URL into my browser does skip ahead. Servers are strange.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:53 am
CynAnne
Decorated

Re: [SITE] Survival Sim
food, water, fuel, fun!

danteIL wrote:
Creating a new thread for Howard's survival simulation.

This appeared on http://funandprettythings.com/lifepreservinginformation/

Howard added the following:

Quote:
LIFE INSIDE A BUNKER IS GOING TO BE A CHALLENGE. ESPECIALLY SINCE WE MAY HAVE TO STAY DOWN THERE FOR A FEW YEARS. ITíS IMPORTANT TO BE PREPARED Ė NOT JUST WITH SUPPLIES AND GEAR, BUT WITH THE KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT TO DO ONCE YOUíRE DOWN THERE. ITíS GOING TO BE A DIFFERENT KIND OF LIVING,WITH NO ROOM FOR MISTAKES.

I MADE SOMETHING TO HELP YOU GET READY. IT MAY JUST FEEL LIKE A LITTLE GAME, BUT IT CONTAINS A LOT OF IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO HELP YOU LEARN WHAT ITíLL TAKE TO SURVIVE.

HTTP://FUNANDPRETTYTHINGS.COM/SURVIVAL_SIM/LATEST

I HOPE YOU LEARN QUICKLY FROM IT.

LOVE,

DAD

Thank you dante! Rock On The 'note to Megan' on the opening page of the sim includes this...

"I took some old work software and repurposed it into this simulator." and "I've been using it to run scenarios of what will happen while we're down there."

Which makes me think, once again, of that 'Kronos' computerware from Russia...

"Although Kronos was a proprietary processor, it was nicely suited to the applications which were sensitive to high programmability rather than to software compatibility. For example, embedded control systems require fast and reliable design of new original applications for controlling unique objects and processes."

http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42212&start=105

I knew it...!

Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:17 am
Lotto
Veteran

First attempt

Three people
137 days, 07 hours

I didn't think to note supplies allocated before starting simulation. Ran out of water. Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:22 am
hinoai
Decorated

Two people for 381 days, 8 hours. Not too shabby. Ran out of water and almost out of food.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:31 am
punxtr
Die Hard Try Hard

Current high score 426 days 02 hours (editing post).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:45 am
Colt
Unfettered

on a previous run with 2 people i got this message on day 352 Days, 01 Hours

One person in the shelter has died in the night. There is no clue to what killed them they just never woke up.

survived till day 431 or so

previous 2 attempts had 1 of the 2 people die ~70 days in, curiously, someone can still leave the bunker and still give the message about "this is why you shouldn't have more then 3 people" even tho there was only 2

Edit: Got a new event i've not seen before, Someone or something is banging on the door to the shelter, demanding to be let in. You can hear it howling in rage and frustration.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:41 am
Last edited by Colt on Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
gimlet
Unfettered

I'm not the only one who got weird glitchy words and possibly subliminal images flashing too fast for me to really see them... right?

Like truely subliminal. My subconscious brain might have seen what they were, but I sure didn't.

Also if Megan was playing text based games on the PC in the Rec room, she's older than 19, I'd wager.

Played it, appreciated it, probably not playing it again (super old school depressing sim games are really not my thing). Do think it's dropping some plot easter eggs. Not sure what else...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:55 am
mzsooze
Boot

Highest I've gotten is 100 something days. I'm not too good at this.

gimlet wrote:
I'm not the only one who got weird glitchy words and possibly subliminal images flashing too fast for me to really see them... right?

Like truely subliminal. My subconscious brain might have seen what they were, but I sure didn't.

Also if Megan was playing text based games on the PC in the Rec room, she's older than 19, I'd wager.

Played it, appreciated it, probably not playing it again (super old school depressing sim games are really not my thing). Do think it's dropping some plot easter eggs. Not sure what else...

I agree with you. Words were pink right? At least that's what my brain registered. Wasn't able to figure them out though. May have to go back into the game to double check.

I remember playing this style game on our first PC when I was 6 years old. I'm 32 now..... So it feels like Megan would definitely be in her late teens or older.

Colt wrote:
on a previous run with 2 people i got this message on day 352 Days, 01 Hours

One person in the shelter has died in the night. There is no clue to what killed them they just never woke up.

survived till day 431 or so

previous 2 attempts had 1 of the 2 people die ~70 days in, curiously, someone can still leave the bunker and still give the message about "this is why you shouldn't have more then 3 people" even tho there was only 2

Edit: Got a new event i've not seen before, Someone or something is banging on the door to the shelter, demanding to be let in. You can hear it howling in rage and frustration.

I had a similar message about something trying to get in, but mine didn't say it was banging at the door. Seems as though the scenarios he is throwing at us mimic what we have seen in the trailers so far.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:34 am
danteIL
Unfictologist

Going to attach some screenshots here showing the intro and help screens:
help2.JPG
 Description   
 Filesize   99.09KB
 Viewed   102 Time(s)

help2.JPG

help1.JPG
 Description   
 Filesize   92.62KB
 Viewed   72 Time(s)

help1.JPG

screen1.JPG
 Description   
 Filesize   113.94KB
 Viewed   73 Time(s)

screen1.JPG

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:46 am
JustThinking
Veteran

gimlet wrote:

It does catch and pause a lot. I don't know how to freeze that sort of thing. Anyone?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:22 am
gimlet
Unfettered

JustThinking wrote:
gimlet wrote:

It does catch and pause a lot. I don't know how to freeze that sort of thing. Anyone?

Understand that I am absolutley not saying "hack the thing" under any circumstances (unless they essentially tell us to) but well... That's the easiest way.

Barring that, and wildly brainstorming: can we maybe record our playthroughs with a a pretty high frame rate then slow it down and check it out frame by frame? It goes too fast to just screenshot it.

Caveat: it might just be there for artifaces sake, glitchiness is actually something you can program things to do just for funsies (it's very trendy in art games right now) and it gives us the appropriate sense of paranoia & foreboding for this world.

That said, it's worth checking out. Becuase I did not get a pink flash, I got a cobalt blue flash, and a bunch of smaller white word flashes. So i think the flashes are either totally random - or specific to certan in game parameters.

Also the controversial PNG flash on tagruato also called our attention to something, so thematically it's interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:23 pm
Lotto
Veteran

flashes, Puppeteers

Agreeing on the flashing, also first line of instructions loads as something in quotes, "Megan.... can't read, too fast. Maybe we can change the speed of loading? I've tried a few commands, pause, stop, etc.

I've played a hand full of times, better with each attempt. All work and no idle time allowed! ha ha

It's possible somewhere along the way, the correct values for sustainability were given.

Game play top 10 winners is very much like Rocket Puppeteers. They did get cool prizes. Good luck, everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:17 pm
danteIL
Unfictologist

286 days, drat.

the leaderboard is now all in the 500s.

It seems to really depend in part on luck. I got some random crises that really hurt (like losing 10% of all my supplies). I get that Howard wants to teach Megan a lesson, but this seems a little harsh.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:26 pm
Page 1 of 13 [189 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
Jump to: