Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Having Trouble with the Boards?
Ask in the General Forum
or email unforum /at/ unfiction.com

The time now is Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:10 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
[META] Game Criticism, Complaints, Comments
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 15 of 16 [238 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
gimlet
Unfettered

I said it was a matter of differing tastes, not "you guys just don't get it."

And if I was as invested as you think I am, I doubt I would be calling this all a marketing ploy.

A lot of my many posts are pretty specific criticism.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:53 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

gimlet wrote:
Implying that args should be self-encapsulated and not rely on the media they are promoting to be played. I agree that would be nice in a perfect world, but ultimately pretty unlikely for marketers to do. It would be nice if we didn't have to buy the thing/play the game/see the movie to enjoy an ARG, but it would defeat the purpose of why we have been given it to play in the first place.

I made no such implications, what I said {and you quoted} was
Quote:
I agree that an ARG that you can't figure out without some knowledge of that it is supporting can be quite exclusionary and unenjoyable. It doesn't have to be, and I do think expectations one way or the other play a huge role in that enjoyment.
I also gave examples of arguably the two most well known and successful ARGs {one of which was basically the first ARG} who didn't force you to drink the ovaltine just to advertise for it. I had no intentions of playing Halo 3, but I sure as frak pushed hard for that. Some people just want an experience, and nothing is wrong with that. The entire point of this type of marketing is to get Tom, Susie and Sally to tell Sarah, Dick, Harry, Jose, Alex, etc. about it and get them hooked. I told everyone I knew about this amazing thing advertising this game. Because a GOOD marketer knows how to market base their current fanbase.

Now, I very much plan on seeing this film. I was planning on it even as I was swearing up and down there was no marketing campaign in sight, but I'm utterly annoyed that my enjoyment of this meant sifting through more plot speculation than gameplay. Granted, that's partially just the fault of the player base, and I admit I am just as guilty of this behaviour. This is because it is what we all felt we had to do. Because there was never enough to push us the right way, we had to grasp and grasp and grasp. And now, it is highly possibly in order to get a conclusion, we have no choice but to see the film. What I have heard from some people who have seen it {no spoilers, no worries} and maybe I will feel differently when I see it {doubtful} but apparently if you didn't get the backstory from the ARE here, there is a bit of subplot which may not make as much sense {although, you wouldn't even know that you were missing it}. And that's a real shame.

I don't often agree with Cather, even less I agree with Dmax, so hell might freeze over here Wink

{any incoherent part of this response is due to a toddler trying to help me type this post out, and Mommy Brain confusion}

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:24 pm
dmax
Unfictologist

Folks don't know our history, but me, catheterwoo and pixie very frequently find ourselves at opposite ends of an equilateral triangle disagreeing vehemently. I have to admit this is extremely strange.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:07 pm
catherwood
I Have 100 Cats and Smell of Wee

gimlet wrote:
...telling corporate marketers not to market with their marketing projects? Not gonna happen. They don't care about whether something is Argy enough for arg fans, they care about butts in seats. ...

Showing me stills from the movie? Revealing character motivations? Encouraging players to speculate on plot points? At some point, this all adds up to me NOT needing to see the movie, because I'm no longer curious about the mystery.

Marketers do give away products for free for many reasons, mostly to encourage repeat business. Movies are a special case. Marketing a movie should merely hint at the story, especially any movie with a twist or a big reveal. This is one movie which (I can only assume) benefits from the audience being in the dark in the same way that the female lead is. If I can identify with her, I can experience her emotions as the truth reveals itself to us both at the same time. I might even pay to see the movie a second time, to then see how the story plays out differently when I have more information than the characters do. I'm less likely to see a movie a second time if I am not left with questions. I'm less likely to see a movie at all the first time if I am privvy to all of its secrets.

Disclaimer 1: I did try to see the movie today, as some areas seem to be getting an early release date. Instead, by my mistake, I ended up at a theater which adheres to the 3.11.16 premiere schedule. I'll be going back tomorrow afternoon.

Disclaimer 2: This is now the only thread I'm reading. I'm still skittish about seeing the discussion get into examples from both the movie and the ARG, so I might be skimming past some excellent points. I'll try to revisit your posts tomorrow night.

And {hugs} to Pixie and damnax for the current convergence. May we find grounds for disagreement in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:36 pm
kelwhite01
Unfettered

catheterwoo... damnax...

Pet names for each other?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:55 pm
dmax
Unfictologist

kelwhite01 wrote:
catheterwoo... damnax...

Check our "join" date. We have history.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:07 pm
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

dmax wrote:
kelwhite01 wrote:
catheterwoo... damnax...

Us three have been at this for too long... How have we three not met face to face yet??? Dmax, you threatened multiple times that you were going to come to ARGFest, didn't you?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:35 pm
Cherry
Decorated

dmax wrote:
Folks don't know our history, but me, catheterwoo and pixie very frequently find ourselves at opposite ends of an equilateral triangle disagreeing vehemently. I have to admit this is extremely strange.

Watching y'all debate has been more fun than the ARG.

At least, though you disagree, you do so in an adult manner. Yay for you guys!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:46 pm
kelwhite01
Unfettered

dmax wrote:
kelwhite01 wrote:
catheterwoo... damnax...

History indeed. Did you all join when Unfiction was a bulletin board with six analog lines and 2400 baud modems? Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:49 pm
dmax
Unfictologist

Pixiestix wrote:

Us three have been at this for too long... How have we three not met face to face yet??? Dmax, you threatened multiple times that you were going to come to ARGFest, didn't you?

That would be the proper verb.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:03 pm
dmax
Unfictologist

kelwhite01 wrote:

History indeed. Did you all join when Unfiction was a bulletin board with six analog lines and 2400 baud modems? Twisted Evil

We got kloos by postcard via Pony Express.

(Speaking of that - how do you immerse in a mystery generated by newspaper? You must check out the MayDay Mystery. It's amazing - and unsolved. I always felt envy, and sadness, for Brian Hance who got to become the eye of that particular hurricane. He's a nice guy.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:06 pm
enaxor
I Have No Life

dmax wrote:
kelwhite01 wrote:

Hahahahaha! I've missed you dmax. I may have to visit unFiction more often, if you're going to be around. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:33 pm
kelwhite01
Unfettered

dmax wrote:
kelwhite01 wrote:

(Speaking of that - how do you immerse in a mystery generated by newspaper? You must check out the MayDay Mystery. It's amazing - and unsolved. I always felt envy, and sadness, for Brian Hance who got to become the eye of that particular hurricane. He's a nice guy.)

Checking it out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:34 pm
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

enaxor wrote:
Hahahahaha! I've missed you dmax. I may have to visit unFiction more often, if you're going to be around. Smile

ENAXOR!!!!!

Okay, now if Scrappy shows up, I may have a heart attack!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:02 am
dmax
Unfictologist

Pixiestix wrote:
enaxor wrote:

ENAXOR!!!!!

Okay, now if Scrappy shows up, I may have a heart attack!

ScrappyDoo, Sin Vraal, Ozy, Danman_D, Magesteff, Sunny DuPreee, and SpaceBass - and I'm sure I'm forgetting others..These are just the ones I dated.

and enaxor is too kind. Cool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:32 am
Page 15 of 16 [238 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
Jump to: