Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
What is an ARG?
Read imbri's Quickstart Guide

The time now is Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:12 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
[META] Game Criticism, Complaints, Comments
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 2 of 16 [238 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 14, 15, 16  Next
kosmopol
I Never Tire of My Own Voice

Yes, Dennis from CloverfieldClues is my hero.
He is the best source of knowledge about everything Cloverfildean - and his blog was always very prominent from the beginning of Cloverfield.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:49 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

Again, I don't blame nor demonize you Dennis. (In fact, you will notice I listed your blog as a meta resource in meta links thread yesterday) Perhaps in this case, there was indeed a misunderstanding, as this time we thought they pointed you to this to do. That's our bad, but in honesty, they have done this before with you. They have little birdie whispered at you to confirm something as valid, or to point us in the correct direction. again, this doesn't actually have anything to do with you, had they broken curtain to do this in any other way we would be just as frustrated.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:59 pm
gimlet
Unfettered

CloverfieldClues.com wrote:
robdeez wrote:
If someone here would've discovered the YouTube videos first would we be assuming that they were being fed the info?

This.

There seems to be a lot of anger because the PMs released the videos on YouTube? I've always assumed they would be posted online at some point, I find it strange that they were only released yesterday and they didn't release them sooner...

I agree that I don't know how they expected anyone to figure this out just from screenshots of movie theater screens.

gimlet wrote:
Cloverfield Clues found them for us ... then only shared that info after the heavy lifting was done.

All the heavy lifting had already been done in the forums. We already knew that it was most likely GPS coordinates, it just seems like we were missing something...

That's my bad for not sharing my discovery of the first video sooner. I guess there's a fine line between wanting to get credit for finding something and getting accused of being spoon fed information.

I really think we should move this meta discussion off here, but yes, when you explicitly have insider info AKA a contact at Bad Robot, and are the only one making any progress despite 2 forums of players openly flailing and you are not sharing how you made that progress along the way: yeah, it's gonna look like collusion. I'm sorry, your blog is great, I know you're trying, but this situation is very frustrating to those of us repeatedly hitting our heads against a wall trying to get clues out of it.

Edit: Pixie makes a great point: this really is not your fault, it's the PMs for using you to communicate with us thereby eroding our trust in your neutrality. You want to play the game just like the rest of us, I totally get that. But at some point the PMs have been in some kind of contact with you to communicate certain things with us and they never should have done that, because it puts you in an awkward priveleged position. They should have left it up to any of the hundreds of methods of communication available to them in this modern age. Literally any official channel, of which they have many.

Edit 2: Made a thread, I hope that's ok? I just don't want to derail the game for anyone. If it's not maybe we can just turn it into an Off Topic or OOG thread?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:02 pm
gimlet
Unfettered

[META] Game Criticism, Complaints, Comments
You may or may not want to know how the sausage gets made.

Decided since it's starting to detract from the actual game at this point, I'd direct this stuff to a designated Area. Hope that's ok!

EDIT: Yay I did the right thing for once! Thank's yet again Pixie.

Wow, this actually reads pretty linearly despite being hacked & slashed in here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:20 pm
Last edited by gimlet on Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
kosmopol

Thank you, this complain corner will prevent us from being mad in game thread.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:33 pm
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

I split the previous topic. You are so right, it belongs in an aggression digression thread all it's own hahaha!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:37 pm
catherwood
I Have 100 Cats and Smell of Wee

I was waiting for a dedicated topic before chiming in, so thank you.

I couldn't pinpoint exactly why I wasn't enjoying the game. I really had fun watching Swamp Pop have fun. I really did try to solve the F&PT site, at least at first. As the typos piled up without reason, I dropped out. As the images trickled in with ambiguous lack of clarity, I gave up. I am very happy that everything was resolved quickly, and the community did not continue to spin its wheels in the mud right up until the movie debut.

Will I continue to lurk? Maybe. I'm curious what becomes of the contents of the dead drop. Will I work on puzzles? Maybe, but only if they are obviously puzzles with complete information. No more wild guessing for me. Will I speculate on what the trailers mean for the plot of the movie? Not at all.

Has this campaign increased the likelyhood that I will pay to see the movie when it arrives in a theater near me? Perhaps. Such things are difficult to measure. The trailer might have been enough, as with any movie advertising. The pedigrees of the people behind the movie might have been enough. Maybe this kind of community engagement is only worth a small investment. Make a good movie and people will spread the word. Fill the market with pre-release hype but present a disappointing movie? That's where word of mouth will kill you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:13 pm
dmax
Unfictologist

Catherwoo knows I been here a long time. (Too long, eh?)

I came back when I saw the mention of 10CL because I remember coming in late to the original party of Cloverfield and - face it - it's less fun to come during the middle of an ARG (or whatever a story is).

Maybe (definitely) I'm getting older, but there's an absolute lack of fun in the unforum. Criticism, correction...sometimes downright anger. Probably not enticing to noobs, right?

I came back because it was fun, back in the CTW, Don Marzano, even Redkore, days. This isn't fun. Moving to reddit.

Ciao.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:54 pm
Melodyman
Entrenched

Dunno all.. Seems to me we were stuck with bad photos of the number pics and werent going anywhere. Short time to work with and had to find that ammo box before some farmer ploughed it up.. I look at it as a compliment that TPTB had so much faith in the UNF's abilities to problem/puzzle solve.. Now we will see how backed up things were..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:47 pm
hinoai
Decorated

Sorry, guys. I'm going to have to side with Dennis, here. It's true that he's been given information in the past, but when I read his post, I thought, "darn, why didn't I try that?" There was zero consideration that TPTB had whispered in his ear at all.

It's totally natural to look for the trailers on Youtube. Didn't we all do it? Just without using the right combination of words. I actually thought that they would be on the Paramount channel, so I didn't search much otherwise.

I just feel like CloverfieldClues is being demonized (though I know you guys said that it's not his fault). I mean, wouldn't he have said something if it was fed to him? It seemed like his own discovery, and had it been me, I would have waited to post about it until I'd already found all of the trailers or spent way too long looking for the rest.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:10 pm
CynAnne
Decorated

Yeppers!

kosmopol wrote:
Yes, Dennis from CloverfieldClues is my hero.
He is the best source of knowledge about everything Cloverfildean - and his blog was always very prominent from the beginning of Cloverfield.

Agreed, kosmopol...and that's why when the 'Great 10CL Thread-Crash of 2016' happened Laughing , CC was the only link I posted for us to resource/rebuild from.

'Quality before quantity' is my credo.

Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:06 am
JustThinking
Veteran

I'm not too experienced here- but, sure, can see the hand of the Creators in the game. Like the fellow who gave us the 30.1 for very important latitude placeholder when we were using 15, thinking there were no numbers on the picture. And the story about the theater employee saying it was OK to record the Cloverfield trailer, but not the others. Apologies if that was all real, but it sure sounds like too convenient needed information and directions.

So , I think they were giving us bits, and still leaving it to see if we could get the others ourselves. Like maybe someone would get a clearer photo of the football group for the 75. But in the end we didn't , and people had started to wander around the wilderness, so they had to give us the rest with CC's you tube pics.

I mean, we begged them in capitol letters for the information didn't we?

So maybe it was bad design the way we got it in the end-but at least no one got stuck in swamp!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:55 pm
The_Stoned_Ape
Boot

Just wanted to pop in and say, if everyone remembers, that the whole idea of a dead-drop was not popular at all..Mugen had checked 3 co-ordinates 2 day's prior to the dead drop (he was a couple hundred yards away from the drop the first trip). He was sending me pics of each co-ord and after he came up with nothing we came to the conclusion that perhaps it would not be a dead-drop and it was time to move on from that idea...that was also the popular opinion in both forums as well.

So what I am saying is perhaps the team running the game saw that we were about to give up on checking Co-ordinates IRL, and realized we were going to need a nudge. I definitely agree with pixie that this was due to poor game-design, but we did almost give up on co-ords completely. And then miraculously the night after Mugen went searching the first time we get the high res images and we find our last number. So of course I texted Mugen at 2am and told him the new co-ord lol. Also important to note is we had the correct order of numbers, but were missing the 75 from the Football image.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:55 am
kosmopol

Agree, this coordinate thing was tricky and risky. You and Mugen proved that sometimes our scepticism can mislead us. You both rock for not giving up.

Another thing, not complain, but just sorta:
I'd love to have here a Russian contents (in order to be useful). Or Japanese. Or German. International ARG rulez.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:51 pm
hinoai
Decorated

Yeah, I'm sad that there's no Japanese component this time around! I mean, we are dealing with Tagruato, after all. I'd also love to see Slusho involved, but I guess that we have to settle for Swamp Pop (not bitter at all that it's not sold here and the shipping is like $40 for one six-pack, nope).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:02 pm
Page 2 of 16 [238 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 14, 15, 16  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
Jump to: