Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Your continued support keeps uF running!

The time now is Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:31 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
[DEAD DROP] The Ammo Case
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 8 of 10 [150 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
CynAnne
Decorated

Jane Smith wrote:
Salo wrote:
If you open the wav files in Notepad, the first line reads "bext\ Employee Terminal 838-4305174 :: PM". Thought it was a phone number at first, so I tried it. No such luck. Could be something, could be nothing, but I thought it was worth noting just in case.

hummn, got to be howard right?

So tagruato?

Tag's logo of 'hands, grasping at the world'...seems so much more nefarious upon each 'revelation' we receive regarding their activities.

Especially when one recalls this...

"In the past, the reputation of Tagruato has been sullied by reports of mistreating their employees," announced Ganu Yoshida. "I have personally seen to it that no such claims will ever be made again."

http://www.tagruato.jp/headlines.php?story=news_07_02_25

Just ask Teddy Henssen...and Atsumi's crew.

Shocked

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:30 am
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
CynAnne
Decorated

Kajisan wrote:
From transcript:

ISS: Houston, ARTE thermal exchange experiment, segment 721, downlink complete.
Cap Com: Copy ISS, cruise confirms download complete, proceed to mission parameter 474.

Guess it was posted before somewhere but i thought i drop it here again.
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/1911.html

Not sure they really said: "ARTE", the article itself would imply that its actually happen in space, not on earth. Kronos, i only found some reference to a Satellite https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronos_(spacecraft)

There was one other definition for 'Kronos' that might be applicable as well, Kajisan...

"Kronos (computer), a secret 32-bit graphical workstation developed in the Soviet Union in the mid-1980s."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronos_%28computer%29

Reading through the article, this jumped out at me...

"Although Kronos was a proprietary processor, it was nicely suited to the applications which were sensitive to high programmability rather than to software compatibility. For example, embedded control systems require fast and reliable design of new original applications for controlling unique objects and processes."

And isn't that what Bold Futura prides itself on...?

"Bold Futura is the contractor sector of our company principally engaged in the conception, design, manufacture and integration of advanced technology products. Our engineering technology is the most superior of its kind."

http://www.tagruato.jp/boldfutura_subsidiaries.php

There's yet another possible 'Soviet connection' to Tag...no wonder Howard seems so fixated on the 'Russian angle'.

Confused

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:35 am
ObFuSc8
Decorated

Some MRE overlay blocks darker than others…

I might just have been looking at these too long, but a couple of those MRE overlay blocks look darker than the others. Specifically the 2 boxes where the overlay blocks are completely separate - the blocks on the right hand side seem darker. Almost as if there are 2 completely overlapping overlays there. (You can see a small strip of overlap on the box with the adjacent overlays, and those darker blocks on the right side of the other 2 appear to be the same density.)

I guess if all else fails these could be old school Grilles, possibly to be used with the Army Survival Manual, but that seems like a loooooong shot.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:22 am
gimlet
Unfettered

ObFuSc8 wrote:
I think the "flash of red light that seemed to come from everywhere" bit of the recording might be hinting toward red -- hinting that either the message itself is in red, or that we have to filter the red out.

I also noticed that in MugensKeeper's video (0:22) some of those Xs seem disappear through that red lens.

So I think some reasonable options are:
    1. "Enhance" the red: Look through the blue lens, and if that alone doesn't work, shine red light on it (w/ flashlight only & red lens) and then look through the blue lens. (This seems like the best 1st try given what we see in the video above.)

2. "Block out" the red: Look through the red lens, and if that alone doesn't work, shine blue light on it (w/ flashlight only & blue lens) and then look through the red lens. (This might not do anything given what we see in the video above. though I guess they could have been extra tricky and used different colors in different places )

3. Try the above using the green lens in place or red or blue (if the above don't work).

Another thought is bio-florescence (which is very common in deep sea organisms though IDK that they'd spring the $$$ for bio-florescent ink). We'd have to use a UV light and then may have to look through a yellow filter (which I don't think came in that Army flashlight).

And since those printed Xs look kind of like the duplication prevention measures on checks/prescriptions, we should also consider looking at the areas without the printed Xs.

EDIT 1:
clemgrad2001 wrote:
Messages like these are commonly called red reveal, but can be done in other colors. (Google that one..) If the messages are written in black, or blue black, then the message should show up using a black or blue black filter. How do we get a hold of this guy? Has he tried all the colors together? I'm dying over here!!!

Technically, if the message itself were written in blue, a blue filter would obscure it - we'd need a red filter to reveal it. If the message were created in the negative space of a blue ink pattern (or w/fine red ink buried in a blue pattern), then a blue filter would reveal it.

A few of us have suggested just looking through the lenses, and they kind of have (see the video above). I've posted my longer list of suggestions on his Reddit post, and he's going to try some more stuff tomorrow. Here's the Reddit thread w/ that video and where you can make suggestions: The MRE Video

EDIT 2: If color filtering doesn't work, superimposing the overlays from each of the boxes would the next best step -- visual cryptography/obfuscation. These images look kind of familiar:
(Source: http://fc15.ifca.ai/preproceedings/wearable/paper_11.pdf -- pg 4-5)

I love that I can use the word "obfuscation" once here and a user called obfusc8 comes out of nowhere to school us on visual cryptography. Neat!

I also love that it sounds like I was going somewhere with my general line of thought (just lacking the knowledge to extrapolate more).

I also agree with the red flash of light thing. I actually thought it seemed like it could be our clue too. I know he says he's uses the red light already, but sometimes this stuff is way more subtle than you'd think.

Overall, this is a great primer on how to start trying to solve this.

I wonder if we got a really good scan of these suckers we might get better results digitally, or this is something that needs to be done physically. I think perhaps we should try anyways, so at least we can split our efforts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:07 am
danteIL
Unfictologist

Completely random chicken thought

So this morning I had a completely random thought that I don't think will go anywhere (like so many of my thoughts) but I thought I would throw it out there anyway:

The note in the ammo box said:
Quote:
LISTEN TO THESE AND YOU'LL KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. IT'S ALMOST RIGHT ON TOP OF US. YOU'LL NEED A WHOLE LOT MORE THAN THIS KIT IF YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A CHANCE TO MAKE IT TO THE OTHER SIDE.
GOOD LUCK TO US ALL, FRIEND.

I've bolded the relevant part:

This reminds me of that stupid "joke" --
Q:Why did the chicken cross the road?
A: To get to the other side.

So of course that reminds me also of:
#WinnerWinnerChickenDinner

And of course that connects to the MREs, as people have already pointed out.

So I don't really know how this helps, except wondering if the note is pointing back to 'chicken' as well. But as far as I can, the MREs have already been investigated, and unless the black grid thing yields something [nope, see below], I got nothing else.

EDIT: okay, so I think that the printed grid X overlay is nothing more than either a printing error or perhaps a way to distinguish MREs that are sold for non-military markets or discontinued. I was able to find at least one just like this on eBay: LINK and another: LINK

In other words, no super secret hidden message, I believe.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:52 am
Jane Smith
Unfettered

Re: Completely random chicken thought

danteIL wrote:

This reminds me of that stupid "joke" --
Q:Why did the chicken cross the road?
A: To get to the other side.

So of course that reminds me also of:
#WinnerWinnerChickenDinner

And of course that connects to the MREs, as people have already pointed out.

So I don't really know how this helps, except wondering if the note is pointing back to 'chicken' as well. .

I see where your going with this....Chicken Monster...

No but really I have nothing here, I thought at least the container would have a picture of "gift" to lead to somewhere else.. cipher key... new web site?

I may be a old dusty fart nowadays but so far, I do not see a clear path to hunting information. Its all inference based madness?

You should see how far down the rabbit hole lve gone... looking into deep sea drilling and Navy activities and satellite imagery... Its like I found the center of the earth is filled with alien creatures but nothing for sure on the game?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:06 am
kosmopol
I Never Tire of My Own Voice

Actually the thing with "other side" is interesting. Promising.
What if he means it not in the symbolic way of "surviving", but if he has... a Portal? (OK, perhaps it would be too many Portal contents for Dan Trachtenberg, but this Portal would lead into another dimension, not to the other wall if the same room?).

But what if?..
So the glowing we see in the trailer would mean Howard opened the portal. Without waiting for Michelle, who are not amused.

Portal as the only way out if this mess?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:19 am
gimlet
Unfettered

kosmopol wrote:
Actually the thing with "other side" is interesting. Promising.
What if he means it not in the symbolic way of "surviving", but if he has... a Portal? (OK, perhaps it would be too many Portal contents for Dan Trachtenberg, but this Portal would lead into another dimension, not to the other wall if the same room?).

But what if?..
So the glowing we see in the trailer would mean Howard opened the portal. Without waiting for Michelle, who are not amused.

Portal as the only way out if this mess?

"See you on the other side" is just kinda a military saying. It sounds ominous - and it kinda is in that it's about getting through something tough - like a battle - to the other side - but it's common enough and makes enough sense in this context to be unremarkable. Although it could have a dual meaning - have we checked the inside of the box?

Frustrating about finding the markings on MRES on ebay. I did think about that possiblity, and was keeping it in mind. Seems confirmed now - the markings are esssentially a "remainder mark" designating them as surplus for commercial sale.

Still, we can be fairly sure the social media has been communicating with us and calling our attention to the meals even before we had them. There's something to them, just maybe not the markings?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:35 am
JustThinking
Veteran

"I love that I can use the word "obfuscation" once here and a user called obfusc8 comes out of nowhere to school us on visual cryptography. Neat! "

No conspiracy here--that's her name and knowing stuff is her game!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:45 pm
JustThinking
Veteran

Re: Completely random chicken thought

danteIL wrote:

EDIT: okay, so I think that the printed grid X overlay is nothing more than either a printing error or perhaps a way to distinguish MREs that are sold for non-military markets or discontinued. I was able to find at least one just like this on eBay: LINK and another: LINK

Well, everyone should see this I think. Good find.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:20 pm
hinoai
Decorated

Whoa whoa whoa... Dante IL. Wow! And here I thought that the Xs were a message for us. This changes everything! GREAT find!!

Make sure that Reddit knows this, too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:28 pm
v37
Decorated

hinoai wrote:
Whoa whoa whoa... Dante IL. Wow! And here I thought that the Xs were a message for us. This changes everything! GREAT find!!

Make sure that Reddit knows this, too.

Agreed, I could see that having taken us all in some crazy directions. Maybe their version of a Red Herring . So the focus should be on analyzing the wav. files and figuring out what to do with the employee terminal number that can be seen with notepad.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:26 pm
danteIL
Unfictologist

v37 wrote:
and figuring out what to do with the employee terminal number that can be seen with notepad.

Well my fruitless speculation there is that -- IF this was recorded by Howard (or even if he has access to these recordings via work) -- then we are supposed to somehow find the Employee Terminal at Tagruato or Bold Futura.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:49 pm
ObFuSc8
Decorated

Chickens and Red Herrings and MREs

danteIL wrote:

Ahahahahaaa…perfect. Laughing Laughing Laughing So we probably just jumped head first into a rabbit hole with this Red Herring -- though there's still the (admittedly small) chance the PMs put something in those Xs, knowing it would be hard to see.

gimlet wrote:
Still, we can be fairly sure the social media has been communicating with us and calling our attention to the meals even before we had them. There's something to them, just maybe not the markings?

Yeah I agree, it seems like the 10CL GIFs have been communicating with us, however obliquely. That "Eat your dinner" tweet came while Mugens was going through the ammo case & posting videos. So I agree, it's worth having a thorough look at those MREs.

danteIL wrote:
The note in the ammo box said:
Quote:
LISTEN TO THESE AND YOU'LL KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. IT'S ALMOST RIGHT ON TOP OF US. YOU'LL NEED A WHOLE LOT MORE THAN THIS KIT IF YOU'RE GONNA HAVE A CHANCE TO MAKE IT TO THE OTHER SIDE.
GOOD LUCK TO US ALL, FRIEND.

The "IT'S ALMOST RIGHT ON TOP OF US" seemed to point at overlays, superimposition, image adition/subtraction, or even a Grille. But it could be pointing to the same sort of embedded thing within the WAV recording. There's a thread on Reddit working on the WAV, so fingers crossed since I'm not that great with audio.

So beside the above, we're left with:
    • Employee Terminal 838-4305174
    • The Army Survival Manual
    EDIT: Howard's note

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:42 pm
Last edited by ObFuSc8 on Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
AntaresMHD
Veteran

Well, given that the X's turned out to be just circumstantial, we still gotta figure out what the point of the filters is. What else was in the package aside from the meals?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:45 pm
Page 8 of 10 [150 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
Jump to: