Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
The Project MU Archives
Now available in stunning full-color print edition.

The time now is Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:16 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
[TRAIL] funandprettythings.com aka FAPT
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 3 of 21 [301 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 19, 20, 21  Next
CynAnne
Decorated

Falco wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong...Howard Stambler has been with Bold Futura for 7 years...My current head canon is Howard was with the Navy right up until they discovered what was going down with Clover near the Chuai station (Im buying into the seasat satellite actually searching the sea not space). At that point he leaves/gets kicked out of the Navy (cause theyre not accepting whatever hes seeing) and picked up by Tagruato for all his military/satellite knowledge. This would be like immediately during/following the events of the first movie. Which would add up since he's been with the company 7 years. The whole thing about him knowing how to recognize a cover story could come from not only his experience in the Navy with this incident but also his experience constantly having to lie about what hes monitoring on the government satellites for Tagruato (which im assuming is the same satellite that cost him his Navy career).

is my timeline messed up? its 4am and I just spent like an hour catching up to everything here and on reddit so its all blurring together

Sounds like you covered everything in order, Falco. And "...not only his experience in the Navy with this incident but also his experience constantly having to lie about what hes monitoring on the government satellites for Tagruato..." t'would explain the dour look on Howards face in his Tag photo, compared to the rest of his co-workers (usually winning a prize gets a 'happier' response from an employee...except Howard, apparently).

Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:53 am
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

Not that this has to do with the topic at hand {really, it probably belongs in movie spec, but since I saw someone mention it.... Rewatch the scene with the light. See how it grows? That's very specifically the way a light coming towards you grows behind a building. Now, I'm still leaning on helicopter myself, and I don't think it's aliens but rather they saw the monsters in the oceans - but if you believe aliens, that could be a UFO.

It is not the way a bomb going off would show light, nor a device of some sort. That's clearly something with a light on it moving towards someone on the other side of something {in this case, MEW behind the building}.

Or maybe JJ has just found a new annoying way to create lens flare, I dunno....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:55 am
Slaver
Boot

Pixiestix wrote:
Not that this has to do with the topic at hand {really, it probably belongs in movie spec, but since I saw someone mention it.... Rewatch the scene with the light. See how it grows? That's very specifically the way a light coming towards you grows behind a building. Now, I'm still leaning on helicopter myself, and I don't think it's aliens but rather they saw the monsters in the oceans - but if you believe aliens, that could be a UFO.

It is not the way a bomb going off would show light, nor a device of some sort. That's clearly something with a light on it moving towards someone on the other side of something {in this case, MEW behind the building}.

Or maybe JJ has just found a new annoying way to create lens flare, I dunno....

You're right. I had watched that scene many times and you can see something in front of the light floating upward. I also lean towards helicopter, as I'm hoping things like aliens stay in Super 8 rather than make any sort of appearance in this film. Moreover, I'd post a picture showing the raising object clearly, but most people can see for themselves if they just look hard enough, and you're right, this isn't the section for it.

CynAnne wrote:

Sounds like you covered everything in order, Falco. And "...not only his experience in the Navy with this incident but also his experience constantly having to lie about what hes monitoring on the government satellites for Tagruato..." t'would explain the dour look on Howards face in his Tag photo, compared to the rest of his co-workers (usually winning a prize gets a 'happier' response from an employee...except Howard, apparently).
Laughing

I'm still at a loss as to how Howard works for Tagruato, and that the whole Tagruato and Bold Future things have been resurrected in the ARG, yet there's almost no mention of the events of the first movie. It's strange considering that the two films seem to exist independently, yet they share the company of Tagruato. Even if the new film does act on a different kind of monster or threat, I hope they at least recognize that the events of the first film are known to have happened in the same universe. It was a given assumption as soon as Tagruato was brought into the ARG, but if it weren't for that, I would argue that these films seem almost completely independent of one another.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:32 am
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

Slaver wrote:
I'm still at a loss as to how Howard works for Tagruato, and that the whole Tagruato and Bold Future things have been resurrected in the ARG, yet there's almost no mention of the events of the first movie. It's strange considering that the two films seem to exist independently, yet they share the company of Tagruato. Even if the new film does act on a different kind of monster or threat, I hope they at least recognize that the events of the first film are known to have happened in the same universe. It was a given assumption as soon as Tagruato was brought into the ARG, but if it weren't for that, I would argue that these films seem almost completely independent of one another.

I still say, there was a massive cover-up a la resident evil "terrorists bombed, and made fantastical film of monsters" If the original monsters never made it out on New York, and after the US government dropped some inside job bombs, the PR spin could have been easy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:51 am
gimlet
Unfettered

So. I was going to post this when I read it this morning, but then I thought it was too crazy and weird and trollish so I didn't.

But then I thought about the way y'all first found out about the seabed nectar and... Well. Crazier things have happened. So this is probably nothing, but it also could be something:

https://www.reddit.com/r/10cloverfieldlane/comments/46dexg/seasat_wiki_was_changed_in_january/

Sometime in January the wikipedia entry for the SeaSat satelite was edited by an anonymous ip user from Columbia, South Carolina.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/74.236.134.129

The sum total of the edit was this sentence:

"It saw a deep nuts rise and give birth. It was the first recorded record of this."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasat

It only made one other edit to Wikipedia to the entry for the world's first submarine, the civil war era "Turtle":

''She also saw deep nuts when they were rising from the depths to give birth. This was the first documented record of deep nuts."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_(submersible)

If this *isn't* a troll there's a whole bunch of interesting useful data in this.

Firstly, that this monsters (code?)name is Deep Nuts. It' would be a wacky choice, but not more so than Cloverfield or ChimpanzIII.

Secondly, that this thing has been around since the revolutionary war (And probably isn't a huge fan of the US Navy).

Thirdly, the location of the editor and the use of "she" to refer to the turtle vessel does suggest a military editor. There are many military outposts nearby in SC, including Army, Navy and the Marine training facility on "Parris Island."

And yeah, it's named after that Paris.

Also curious we've actually got a couple IG links to nuts - the fluffernutters and the peanut butter sundae.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:18 am
Last edited by gimlet on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
kosmopol
I Never Tire of My Own Voice

I know, it belongs to SPEC, but I am still unsure, who are "they" in Howards terminology. He writes, they would attack soon, and some lines later, "we should focus on Soviets instead of North Korea".

For the first view one could suppose, the Russian were meant, as terrorists (ze Russianz are coming *defenestration*).

But in our context, perhaps Russian are not the agressor, but obsevers of "something big". And even if they would nuke USA, they won't do it from ideological considerations, but in order to save planet Earth from someting big. USA would be collateral damage. It's JJ Way of thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:21 am
Last edited by kosmopol on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

Uh, it's a weird as all frak coincidence that's for sure, but i'm sure some kidlet wanted to make sexual innuendo jokes and just picked a random not often looked at page to do it on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:26 am
autinytim
Boot

Falco wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong...Howard Stambler has been with Bold Futura for 7 years...My current head canon is Howard was with the Navy right up until they discovered what was going down with Clover near the Chuai station (Im buying into the seasat satellite actually searching the sea not space). At that point he leaves/gets kicked out of the Navy (cause theyre not accepting whatever hes seeing) and picked up by Tagruato for all his military/satellite knowledge. This would be like immediately during/following the events of the first movie. Which would add up since he's been with the company 7 years. The whole thing about him knowing how to recognize a cover story could come from not only his experience in the Navy with this incident but also his experience constantly having to lie about what hes monitoring on the government satellites for Tagruato (which im assuming is the same satellite that cost him his Navy career).

is my timeline messed up? its 4am and I just spent like an hour catching up to everything here and on reddit so its all blurring together

I can't correct you but it doesn't seem to fit with me. Howard was a radioman in the Navy in 1970, or graduating into active service in 1970 seems the most probable from training. That's a long career in the military until 2008 in the same position. And given their real life tie-ins, the spy who was sentenced to 365 years happened in 1986. To me it seems more likely he got out of the Navy in the '80s knocked around in the private sector all the while gathering evidence and having a normal life, wife, kid. Hooks up with Tagruato at this time and the trauma of losing his child in the divorce sent him over the edge. Also you can't discount the character's age, 50's even 60's I doubt he was a radioman in the Navy in the early 2000's. Just my thoughts on it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:42 am
IronJ146
Unfettered

As far as the Deep Nuts go, you may wanna call Mr. Deez and ask him about it.

(I'm sorry.) Flaming Nutter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:44 am
Last edited by IronJ146 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
gimlet
Unfettered

Pixiestix wrote:
Uh, it's a weird as all frak coincidence that's for sure, but i'm sure some kidlet wanted to make sexual innuendo jokes and just picked a random not often looked at page to do it on.

The juvenility of it was definitely what made me discount it.

But then I thought it's the kind of thing that might amuse the average Reddit user (and the PMs seem aware that's a large player base) and it's not like everything in the original arg was super sophisticated and mature. Even Slush-O itself was pretty silly (Though not stupid internet meme silly).

I mean, as I said, it's probably somebody trolling, but it connects to a couple things in a weird way. Worth documenting just in case.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:45 am
Pixiestix
Resident Angry Midget

gimlet wrote:
But then I thought it's the kind of thing that might amuse the average Reddit user (and the PMs seem aware that's a large player base) and it's not like everything in the original arg was super sophisticated and mature. Even Slush-O itself was pretty silly (Though not stupid internet meme silly).

I mean, as I said, it's probably somebody trolling, but it connects to a couple things in a weird way. Worth documenting just in case.

Silly, perhaps, but not juvenile versions of obscenity. {FTR, not a prude. Think this is hysterical because I am SO a 13 year old boy most of the time}
I doubt the PM team tailored anything towards reddit. But i'm not sorry you shared the info, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:06 pm
Slaver
Boot

Can you believe it, JJ just put this on his Twitter!
FHj9vhWddd.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   184.81KB
 Viewed   74 Time(s)

FHj9vhWddd.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:10 pm
Jane Smith
Unfettered

Deep things in the sea..

Well I think if your crazy enough (me) you can see past the balls deep and get into a innuendo that is related to monsters.

I see it as saying the first submersible pod like submarine deal, military, saw the first occurrence of NUTS, deep sea variety (whatever it means NUTS) it came to surface from the deep.

Then the SAT saw this big monster underwater and then was decommissioned etc keeping secrets...

Gave birth as in from deep undersea to above the water line.

I dunno I need mental help here, so.. Foily!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:26 pm
wyokid
Boot

Went to bed hoping we'd have something solved, woke up to the discussion of balls Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:40 pm
IronJ146
Unfettered

Re: Deep things in the sea..

Jane Smith wrote:

I dunno I need mental help here, so.. Foily!

You should probably call Dr. Deez.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:42 pm
Page 3 of 21 [301 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 19, 20, 21  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » 10Cloverfield Lane
Jump to: