Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Got a jones for some uF swag?
Visit Ye Olde Tradin' Post!

The time now is Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:41 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Marble Hornets
[Video] Clear Lakes 44 - Broadcast #6
Moderators: Giskard, JKatkina, Zarggg
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 2 of 4 [51 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
awakeasaurusrex
Entrenched

nirualos wrote:
Well, looks like people still teleport. Also, did anyone else notice the notebook that birdwatcher had?

The notebook might, in fact, be for birdwatching; a lot of birdwatchers keep notes of what species of birds have visited their gardens (or other viewing sites) and in what numbers. It's much more likely that this is the case if the dude is part of an organised birdwatching club or society; my mother is involved in one in the UK and they encourage their members to keep records of bird visits to help figure out which bird species are thriving and which are in trouble on a regional basis.

Of course, he could be a deeply paranoid person who is keeping notes on all kinds of shit going on outside his windows. But his surroundings seem perfectly tidy and orderly, and he doesn't seem to be scribbling frantically on the notepad so much as recording information carefully and neatly. If he does have the sort of supernaturally-inspired paranoia we saw people like Alex develop in Marble Hornets, he is coping with it remarkably well.

Pet theory: there's beginning to be a bit of structure to this whole thing. It's like the first round of broadcasts were a matter of target acquisition - picking out people of interest to the Broadcaster (as I'm going to refer to whichever individual or group is behind all this) and assessing them to see if they're worth further attention - and then this new round beginning with Broadcast 5 are a matter of collection, using apparently-supernatural means to grab the people who've been picked out as worthy of further poking.

As far as broadcast 4 goes, my guess is that the Broadcaster will either go after the guy Tim gave the boxes to rather than Tim himself, or will try to grab Tim and fail for some reason, prompting them to write off Tim as a potential subject and work with what they have.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:04 am
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
elford
Decorated

I'm still having trouble with the camera aspect- like, in television, you have to just suspend your disbelief and watch as if you were the camera, and for some reason I am having trouble processing Clear Lakes as a tv show or movie, and I don't know why. Maybe because of the whole tv channel aspect of it, supposedly this is a tv show broadcast by channel 44? I don't know, it's definitely not scary like MH, if this is the case, b/c it lacks the "realness" factor, this can't be security cam footage the way the camera moves--
I don't know, I'm just not feeling very good about this series yet, I was hoping for something scary, but it isn't cohesive enough to be really anything yet, except extremely confusing, which is disappointing. So far.
That being said, the video length s 2:22 and there were two sets of 4 knocks, bringing the whole 44 theme around again...for some reason.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:25 am
TomCat
Boot

awakeasaurusrex wrote:
Pet theory: there's beginning to be a bit of structure to this whole thing. It's like the first round of broadcasts were a matter of target acquisition - picking out people of interest to the Broadcaster (as I'm going to refer to whichever individual or group is behind all this) and assessing them to see if they're worth further attention - and then this new round beginning with Broadcast 5 are a matter of collection, using apparently-supernatural means to grab the people who've been picked out as worthy of further poking.

This is honestly the best theory I've heard so far, and the only concept that has brought any sort of clarity for me as to what this series might be about.

I think it's clear that things are actually happening now, but I don't know for sure if those first few broadcasts were just filler (sort of like a few of the early entries in Marble Hornets where they go location scouting or they're on "set" and nothing really happens, but things just seem odd), or if they're actual important pieces of understanding the series, and we're just not far enough into the storyline to comprehend their importance. Either way, I think the series is finally getting off to a start, which makes me feel a little better about it.

But honestly, why is it taking two weeks between broadcasts? This is THAC's full-time job, last I checked. Sure, Marble Hornets entries took a while, but that was before they were able to make $70k in one month on Kickstarter, or $2000+/month on Patreon -- not to mention the broadcasts we've seen so far in CL44 seem nowhere near as complex to shoot as the entries we saw throughout most of Marble Hornets. What gives?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:43 pm
ydna
Veteran

elford wrote:
That being said, the video length s 2:22 and there were two sets of 4 knocks, bringing the whole 44 theme around again...for some reason.

Has anyone looked into the symbolism? Probably yes, but since I couldn't find the post, here's what I found:

• The Bouriates knew 99 gods, divided into 55 goods and 44 bad. These two groups of gods would fight for a very long between them. link
  • The god Chronos was surrounded by 44 assistants, 22 principals and 22 secondary, according to the Phoenician named Sanchoniaton. link
  • It is associated with life and birth in hebrew. link.

And a bunch of other crap. Not sure if any of it is reliable or relevant, but the number does seen to be important somehow.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:56 pm
nirualos
Boot

Well, everything does seem very clean, which is odd, considering that the birdwatcher seems to be barely able to move at all. It would be difficult to keep things clean if one can't move like an able bodied person would. This speaks strongly for him having some kind of assistance, so maybe clear lakes is a recovery home of sorts.

On the journal being for bird watching, I think it is weird that he does not have, say binoculars or a small telescope to look at the birds through, and also, the blinds are not really open right?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:58 pm
ydna
Veteran

awakeasaurusrex wrote:

As far as broadcast 4 goes, my guess is that the Broadcaster will either go after the guy Tim gave the boxes to rather than Tim himself, or will try to grab Tim and fail for some reason, prompting them to write off Tim as a potential subject and work with what they have.

This makes a lot of sense; I'm inclined to agree, as well. I don't know if anyone proposed this yet, but I also think the term Broadcast is more than just surveillance/television related. It might mean these images are meant as (telepathic?) signals being broadcast inside a collective entity (perhaps like in a hive mind's network). This makes sense either if the cameras are physical (drones?) or not.

That would support that the first images are meant as a flag: "here's a suitable candidate". Then the entity would evaluate and decide whether to go ahead and "collect". Which would also be broadcast in order to confirm success or failure and allow for further hive decision-making.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:08 pm
ToTheArcanine
Decorated

Quote:
I'm still having trouble with the camera aspect- like, in television, you have to just suspend your disbelief and watch as if you were the camera, and for some reason I am having trouble processing Clear Lakes as a tv show or movie, and I don't know why. Maybe because of the whole tv channel aspect of it, supposedly this is a tv show broadcast by channel 44? I don't know, it's definitely not scary like MH, if this is the case, b/c it lacks the "realness" factor, this can't be security cam footage the way the camera moves--
I don't know, I'm just not feeling very good about this series yet, I was hoping for something scary, but it isn't cohesive enough to be really anything yet, except extremely confusing, which is disappointing. So far.

I remember one of the things Troseph disliked about MH was how they didn't put any thought into early entries and had to work around them later. I'm sure they won't make the same mistake in CL44. It'll probably make sense later.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:08 pm
JustJim
Unfettered

I'm confused about the nature of the camera. At first it just looked like security footage, but now with it moving and following is it supposed to be an omniscient perspective? If so why is it so washed out and grainy?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:47 pm
AmbientGuy
Boot

I was bothered by the change in camera perspective as well. Just when it seemed the guys would be playing with an interesting remote-viewing/surveilliance theme, it changes to "normal" camera work.

And I like Noah well enough but he's not as natural an actor as the others. Takes me out of the immersion.

Still..along for the ride.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:01 pm
ToTheArcanine
Decorated

JustJim wrote:
I'm confused about the nature of the camera. At first it just looked like security footage, but now with it moving and following is it supposed to be an omniscient perspective? If so why is it so washed out and grainy?

We're all confused about the camera Laughing
At first it just seems like security footage but then it started moving around, following people home, and now its getting closeups of Noah's glorious beard. It can't be a normal camera right?
But this is labeled as a broadcast, so maybe the omniscient camera is an intentional effect? Like Walker has a warping cameraman trying to get good shots of his work?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:03 pm
nirualos
Boot

ydna wrote:
awakeasaurusrex wrote:

This makes a lot of sense; I'm inclined to agree, as well. I don't know if anyone proposed this yet, but I also think the term Broadcast is more than just surveillance/television related. It might mean these images are meant as (telepathic?) signals being broadcast inside a collective entity (perhaps like in a hive mind's network). This makes sense either if the cameras are physical (drones?) or not.

That would support that the first images are meant as a flag: "here's a suitable candidate". Then the entity would evaluate and decide whether to go ahead and "collect". Which would also be broadcast in order to confirm success or failure and allow for further hive decision-making.

Actually, the hive mind makes sense, what if they are watched by birds, at least when outside, or if the bird watcher has a pet bird and we see everything from the birds perspective.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:13 pm
morscata12
Unfettered

I've been enjoying the series so far, though it's very different from MH. Like an alternate series run by TTA, since all the original protagonists are either gone or trying to live normal lives.

The hand-held camera shot + the last clip of this broadcast seems out of place for the series. I thought about it for a while - Birdwatcher disregarding the handheld camera in his face seems intentional by THAC.

I have a couple of theories on what could be happening, but the one I like the most is that Birdwatcher is aware of the person holding the handheld camera because he requested they be there. Granted, we never see this person in any other clips, but looking at it in that context reminds me of the MH tapes. If Birdwatcher is afraid of someone breaking into his house, it would make sense if he has someone helping him out. Like someone else said in this thread, his house is very clean for someone who can't get around well. He might have a caretaker who is aware of the danger Birdwatcher is in.

To expand on that into totally crazy theory town, Birdwatcher might even refer to the caretaker, where the guy with the cane is the "bird" caged in his home, and the Birdwatcher is on camera duty. We saw the obsessive filming with both Alex and Jay. Wouldn't be too far out to have this new guy filming himself too. I guess that could make Clear Lakes a protection service for people at risk of this sort of thing.

If the shadow guy attacks, and both parties checking the door are incapacitated, the camera footage at the end filming the floor could be what was filmed after the encounter on the dropped camera. We saw that sort of footage a lot on MH; though the new context with Clear Lakes makes it feel like something different.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:18 pm
nirualos
Boot

morscata12 wrote:
I've been enjoying the series so far, though it's very different from MH. Like an alternate series run by TTA, since all the original protagonists are either gone or trying to live normal lives.

The hand-held camera shot + the last clip of this broadcast seems out of place for the series. I thought about it for a while - Birdwatcher disregarding the handheld camera in his face seems intentional by THAC.

I have a couple of theories on what could be happening, but the one I like the most is that Birdwatcher is aware of the person holding the handheld camera because he requested they be there. Granted, we never see this person in any other clips, but looking at it in that context reminds me of the MH tapes. If Birdwatcher is afraid of someone breaking into his house, it would make sense if he has someone helping him out. Like someone else said in this thread, his house is very clean for someone who can't get around well. He might have a caretaker who is aware of the danger Birdwatcher is in.

To expand on that into totally crazy theory town, Birdwatcher might even refer to the caretaker, where the guy with the cane is the "bird" caged in his home, and the Birdwatcher is on camera duty. We saw the obsessive filming with both Alex and Jay. Wouldn't be too far out to have this new guy filming himself too. I guess that could make Clear Lakes a protection service for people at risk of this sort of thing.

If the shadow guy attacks, and both parties checking the door are incapacitated, the camera footage at the end filming the floor could be what was filmed after the encounter on the dropped camera. We saw that sort of footage a lot on MH; though the new context with Clear Lakes makes it feel like something different.

Well, if he is in a facility for people that are being protected from "something" then that implies that is well known. This might mean a different setting. I like your thinking with the bird watcher, but something feels off about how still the camera(s) are most of the time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:20 pm
elford
Decorated

nirualos wrote:
Actually, the hive mind makes sense, what if they are watched by birds, at least when outside, or if the bird watcher has a pet bird and we see everything from the birds perspective.

This makes sense of the camera angles in #5!
Bird Watcher- not just that Noah watches birds, but that the birds are the watchers--I like that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:57 pm
kira1000
Decorated

a theory

I was just thinking-what if we are seeing things through the eyes of the operator (or some kind of operator-esque entity)? I mean, we know that most of the time the camera appears still (as does the operator), we also know that he causes distortion to video cameras so what if we see the world as he sees it. I know they said it would not be "Marble Hornets 2.0" but it is still possible.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:51 pm
Page 2 of 4 [51 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Marble Hornets
Jump to: