Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
The Project MU Archives
Now available in stunning full-color print edition.

The time now is Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:43 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Marble Hornets
[Video] Clear Lakes 44 - Broadcast #3
Moderators: Giskard, JKatkina, Zarggg
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 5 of 6 [77 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Monitor
Boot

Lytrigian wrote:
leadmetodeath wrote:
gennerx wrote:
Zarggg wrote:
I'm fairly certain that the Operator is not involved here.

Yes but this doesn't rule out proxies acting on their own. That Hoodie is too big of a coincidence.

Except they are not proxies at all. Maybe it just me, but I think it's already obvious that the masked people do this simply cause they want to. No one tell them what to do especially TO. Except Alex.

I'm not even sure that the concept of the proxy is applicable to MH.

It isn't. THAC has confirmed proxies do not exist in Marble Hornets or its universe and continuity.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:52 am
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
gennerx
Unfettered

Monitor wrote:
Lytrigian wrote:
leadmetodeath wrote:
gennerx wrote:
Zarggg wrote:

Yes but this doesn't rule out proxies acting on their own. That Hoodie is too big of a coincidence.

Except they are not proxies at all. Maybe it just me, but I think it's already obvious that the masked people do this simply cause they want to. No one tell them what to do especially TO. Except Alex.

I'm not even sure that the concept of the proxy is applicable to MH.

It isn't. THAC has confirmed proxies do not exist in Marble Hornets or its universe and continuity.

It's a term of convenience even though it's not accurate. Every knows who I'm talking about when I say proxies. If you want to come up with a better name for the mask wearing hooded people go for it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:21 am
Monitor
Boot

Since 'proxy' was never applicable, I took to calling the hooded/masked types 'infected' or 'Arkers' in the case of Hoody and Masky specifically. Infected would definitely apply, being exposed to the Operator as we know they were.

We never figured out exactly what was going on there, but there's theories everywhere and the THAC crew have stated that there are answers to a lot of the questions apparently left hanging at the end of MH, and some stuff just wasn't ever going to get one, like the entire basis of the Operator. It really is better that way.

But, we're getting off-topic. The important part here is that the 'proxies' only had their status as infected because of their exposure to the Operator. It was the fundamental, defining factor that made them what they were, even if it wasn't controlling them. They were defined by a combination of readily-apparent 'Operator Sickness', and some kind of knowledge of the creature and how it affected its victims. Everything about the infected/proxies in Marble Hornets revolved around or stemmed from their exposure to the Operator.

So, why would they want to do this if it had nothing to do with the Operator?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:37 am
gennerx
Unfettered

Monitor wrote:
Since 'proxy' was never applicable, I took to calling the hooded/masked types 'infected' or 'Arkers' in the case of Hoody and Masky specifically. Infected would definitely apply, being exposed to the Operator as we know they were.

We never figured out exactly what was going on there, but there's theories everywhere and the THAC crew have stated that there are answers to a lot of the questions apparently left hanging at the end of MH, and some stuff just wasn't ever going to get one, like the entire basis of the Operator. It really is better that way.

But, we're getting off-topic. The important part here is that the 'proxies' only had their status as infected because of their exposure to the Operator. It was the fundamental, defining factor that made them what they were, even if it wasn't controlling them. They were defined by a combination of readily-apparent 'Operator Sickness', and some kind of knowledge of the creature and how it affected its victims. Everything about the infected/proxies in Marble Hornets revolved around or stemmed from their exposure to the Operator.

So, why would they want to do this if it had nothing to do with the Operator?

They're trying to take existing lore and make a new story around it without rehashing old characters. Yes the OP is responsible for creating these people but he's not necessary to tell their story after that. We just get to assume that he's out there and possibly still influencing them but the story isn't about him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:47 am
Monitor
Boot

My point is that they don't have a story after that. The infected would just call the situation wrapped up after Alex Kralie was dead, go to the doctor, take their meds, occasionally check the security set-up at home (if they felt inclined to do so), and generally try to live a normal life and move on after the events of Marble Hornets. Anyone would, in that situation, except the ones the Operator eventually takes.

What I'm suggesting here is that, if the Operator is not a factor, neither are the infected. But the setting, universe, and continuity have plenty of room for other stories anyways. It's established this is a weird place to be. The very existence of anything the least bit like the Operator is proof of that. There's room for plenty of other spooky monsters and the people they torment, because why should the Operator be the only one?

That said, the connections to Marble Hornets (and they're there - Alex's site and blog, the location-scouting footage, and the brian_test clip are sufficient proof to make the claim that solid, tangible, IG connections to the previous MH series exist here in some fashion) definitely make me think that something at least tangentially related to the Operator (not quite the infected themselves, but something at least) will make an appearance.

The biggest question here, though, isn't 'who's the Hoodlum', or 'what's Noah doing watching woodpeckers on TV?' Or 'where's the Operator?' We're still trying to figure out who or what D. Scott is, and what connections exist to tie MH to CL44.

I get the feeling we won't see context for the situation here until we find out exactly what those connections entail, and what they mean in regards to the previous storyline.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:06 am
gennerx
Unfettered

Monitor wrote:
My point is that they don't have a story after that. The infected would just call the situation wrapped up after Alex Kralie was dead, go to the doctor, take their meds, occasionally check the security set-up at home (if they felt inclined to do so), and generally try to live a normal life and move on after the events of Marble Hornets. Anyone would, in that situation, except the ones the Operator eventually takes.

What I'm suggesting here is that, if the Operator is not a factor, neither are the infected. But the setting, universe, and continuity have plenty of room for other stories anyways. It's established this is a weird place to be. The very existence of anything the least bit like the Operator is proof of that. There's room for plenty of other spooky monsters and the people they torment, because why should the Operator be the only one?

That said, the connections to Marble Hornets (and they're there - Alex's site and blog, the location-scouting footage, and the brian_test clip are sufficient proof to make the claim that solid, tangible, IG connections to the previous MH series exist here in some fashion) definitely make me think that something at least tangentially related to the Operator (not quite the infected themselves, but something at least) will make an appearance.

The biggest question here, though, isn't 'who's the Hoodlum', or 'what's Noah doing watching woodpeckers on TV?' Or 'where's the Operator?' We're still trying to figure out who or what D. Scott is, and what connections exist to tie MH to CL44.

I get the feeling we won't see context for the situation here until we find out exactly what those connections entail, and what they mean in regards to the previous storyline.

Your assuming they know how to be treated and that the current characters knew anything about the events of MH. There's no reason to believe that TO only infected a few film students in one town.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:41 am
Monitor
Boot

Yes, I'm assuming that. Primarily because we're dealing with a situation here where it's very obvious there's a connection to the previous Marble Hornets storyline in particular, and not just some random Operator victims in the middle of nowhere. Even if people were exposed and had no clue what was going on whatsoever, or how to get treatment, there's no reason it would be relevant to this situation with Alex's site, footage we're fairly sure he took himself during his location scouting, the original Marble Hornets twitter and youtube channels, with a very clear 'totheark'-ish feel to a couple of the hidden videos, especially the brian_test clip. The only common factor would be the Operator in that situation, and we're fairly sure we're not looking at anything that has to do with it. At least, not yet.

Like I said, the big questions are 'who is D. Scott, where is he, and who's uploading these videos?' All other factors secondary until we get that information.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:01 am
slendydreaming
Veteran

Remember, Tim said to Alex something about "how do you know I'm the only infected one? There could be thousands!" At the time, we thought he meant us, since we'd watched the entries, but what if he meant other people in the town? This could be an Operator cult situation, or what if D. Scott is associated with the old folks home or housing complex? Maybe he's the security guy and has noticed some really weird things being caught on cameras, and he's seen the entries and thinks they're connected.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:04 pm
Monitor
Boot

Maybe. Tim last had access to the account, though. How would D. Scott get that? We know nothing solid of D. Scott's connection to any of this, except that he knows something, he's connected to the events surrounding the last series somehow, and (near as I can tell, anyways) he's implied to be missing. 'Missing person's report. Out of the office.' And 'DD/MM/YYYY' implies his automated message settings have somehow been tampered with. Can't prove any of that, though. Only thing we can hope for is we get another puzzle, a hidden page on Alex's site, some more emails, or an unlisted video. We'd be grasping at straws until we got something solid, so really, what we're waiting for is a code to break or a puzzle to figure out. Something to give us a better grasp of the situation and its context.

Looking forward to seeing where that goes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:23 pm
Elektrikhd
Boot

We still don't know to what degree CL44 is connected to MH. Is there a small bridge, maybe some connection around the Ark and TTA, or is there more to it? Is there an IG meaning or significance to it being the same youtube channel, or is that purely (for lack of a better word) meta?

My gut says we won't be getting the Operator in this, that instead we'll be dealing with something else. I think it'll be interesting to see a different entity. But I don't have any basis for this expectation, unless maybe they said something during a panel.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:51 pm
Cjennz
Greenhorn

Zarggg wrote:

Then why the distortion? Why upload it to the MH channel, and go so far as to add "CL44" to the MH channel name? Why not just start a new channel entirely? If they cared about making ad money off of their videos they would have just gone back on their word and do MH season 4. Even if Tim and Jessica are still alive and taking meds, it doesn't mean the operator is gone, nor does it mean that they can't still spread the disease. In fact, even with his meds, the operator still got involved with Alex through Tim in the summer of 2006.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:54 pm
Hazman
Entrenched

Cjennz wrote:
Zarggg wrote:

Then why the distortion? Why upload it to the MH channel, and go so far as to add "CL44" to the MH channel name? Why not just start a new channel entirely? If they cared about making ad money off of their videos they would have just gone back on their word and do MH season 4. Even if Tim and Jessica are still alive and taking meds, it doesn't mean the operator is gone, nor does it mean that they can't still spread the disease. In fact, even with his meds, the operator still got involved with Alex through Tim in the summer of 2006.

They upload it to the same channel so that people will watch it. That's all there is to it. Plus it's in the same universe as MH. I'm trying to think of a real world example here but my mind is drawing a blank.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:58 am
Monitor
Boot

There's also the tangible links that we've seen, Hazman, through the ARG elements in the series. We know there's some kind of connection. We just don't know what it is. The series really fits the profile of a spinoff and not a sequel series or 'Season 4', at least so far and based on what we've seen. That could very easily change once another broadcast is uploaded, but I don't think it's going to go that way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:07 am
ZargggModerator
Unfictologist

Lots of things could cause distortion: Degradation due to the age of the source tapes, electromagnetic interference, deliberate editing, etc.

The answer to the question of "Why on the MH channel?" has been answered by TPTB/PMs and it's primarily about exposure to their intended audience. I realize that the "rules" of this community generally advise to ignore out-of-game information furnished by the creators of an ARG, but in my personal opinion, this was the best move they could make as a relatively green crowd-funded collective.

If the Operator does show up, I won't be upset. I just think it's a little premature to assume that he's going to be part of this. My advice is to look at this series through fresh lenses. Don't assume the same rules apply here that applied in Marble Hornets.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:11 pm
CraicIsMighty
Unfettered

If that's really the only reason they uploaded CL44 on the MH channel, I have to admit I'll be kind of disappointed. I mean, they called it the "followup series" to MH, that made it sound like there'd be at least some sort of connection.

I won't be sad at all if the operator doesn't show up though. He was really getting stale by the end of season 3, what with him just standing there not doing anything all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:03 pm
Page 5 of 6 [77 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Marble Hornets
Jump to: