Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
What is an ARG?
Read imbri's Quickstart Guide

The time now is Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:28 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Updates » News & Rumors
Brian Clark
Moderators: Administrators, Moderators, ndemeter, Varin
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
PixiestixModerator
Resident Angry Midget

Brian Clark

As many of you may have already seen on Twitter or Facebook, Brian Clark passed away yesterday from cancer.
And you know what, fuck cancer.
FUCK! CANCER!
FUCK!!! CANCER!!!

It happened fast. He was sick for a while, and didn't know what was wrong. By the time they caught it, it was far too late. It only took a few weeks for Brian to be stolen from us. Brian was surrouned by friends and family at his side, and in the past week many many friends went to say goodbye.

Brian's Facebook page full of tributes

Facebook has been flooded this week with posts of adoration for Brian. Starting a few days ago, various forms of meme started with "What Brian Clark taught me" and best memory posts, then the photoshops started up again {a great past time of him and some of his friends}. Since his passing, many of us have changed our headers and profile pictures in tribute to a man who meant so much. It has been helpful for his family to see just how many people Brian touched, how many people truely loved Brian.

Because words are failing me today, I am going to cut and paste what I already wrote on FB.

Quote:
June 29 at 7:10pm ∑
What I learned from Brian Clark: you really can do whatever you set your mind to; don't let anyone else set your self worth, including the brain weasels; be proud of your past, no matter how embarrassing, it brought you where you are; 140 characters are not enough, so take a nice private chat over to FB instead; dinosaurs might be a lie, or not, but the important thing is that you question them, question EVERYTHING!!! And probably the most important - break bread with a stranger, they might become a beloved friend. Thanks for kidnapping me when I was petrified of "the faces"........

Quote:
June 29 at 9:34pm ∑
The first time I met Brian Clark, I was kinda rude to him. It was at ARGFest NYC. He asked me about my shirt, it said "I Helped Kill Ed Vargas" - a reference to the first ARG I played. I went on and on about how much I admired the lead Puppet Master Dave Szulborski. He then asked me if I played this other game, The Art of the Heist. I said "Nope, don't care much for cars." And blathered off something about ad campaigns killing the industry (that I had just discovered and very pretentiously was obviously and expert about). The reason Brian asked me was because apparently Dave had worked on this game too, but I didn't know at the time. Nor did I know the person I was speaking with was one of the PMs until he got up later to speak on a panel about it. I then forgot about it.
a few years later, I came to ARGFest in Boston. My anxiety disorder was getting the better of me and was so overwhelmed by meeting the faces behind the names of people I spoke to online, many of whom got the wrong impression I was just an angry bitch. After FestQuest, he just seemed to gather a random group of attendees and took us all out to dinner, his treat (or possibly Coca-Cola's treat, as he did discuss his work for them at the time and claimed he could make it a business dinner. I never did figure out if he was joking.) We all lost track of time and closed the dining room that night. During dinner, he found out that I used to be a member of a drag theater troupe in Philly (The Dumpsta Players) as their resident "child impersonator". When I told him what my first spoken line on stage was ("so, tell me about that fisting thing again?") with a hand gesture, he was so amused that he proceeded to make me walk around and share this info with as many other attendees at the bar and hotel as possible. I didn't figure out until maybe a year later that this amazing man who I admired in so many ways was the person I had been so rude to years earlier. When I told him, and said sorry for it, he brushed it off. He remembered, and bygones. Just another funny story on this trip of life, and look at where we are now.
Brian is one of the most loving men I know. He shares everything he has. His laugh is so infectious, and listening to him talk is addictive. I'm not kidding, he can tell a story like no other person. And when his voice, loud and boisterous, climbs above a crowded room, people stop and just listen to whatever he has to say. I've seen it happen on many occasions.
We share some big opinions, and butt heads on others. But unlike most people I argue with, I enjoy the debates with him. Frustrating, maddening, full of passion! But never a personal attack. Always a learning experience for someone.
The last conversation I had with him was after he deleted a post he had written about atheism being a predominately white male movement. It was the first time I saw him get flustered about one of these heated discussions he is so well known for. My problem was practically just semantics, but I also never really totally got what he was trying to get at. When the whole thing was over, the last thing he said to me, having nothing to do with the discussion at hand, was "DINOSAURS ARE A LIE! BUT I STILL LOVE YOU!"
That kinda feels like it sums him up. I love you too Brian, so very much.

Quote:
July 1 at 1:28pm ∑
It doesn't seem right,
Watching a black hole form.
No no,
Don't mourn yet kids!
See the star,
Burning bright?
Beautiful gift...
Never forget.

Quote:
July 2 at 7:27pm ∑
I hope that Brian was able to recieve the gift we all gave him this week in celebrating him so lovingly and loudly. Don't we all at some point wonder "what is my legacy? What will they say when I am gone?" To have his loved ones eulogize him, to see his legacy played out in the living moments.... I want to believe this helped him let go.

Quote:
July 3 at 8:30am ∑
I told a few people this last night... I was supposed to go see Brian last night, and had decided the first thing I was going to say to him. Since I was bringing it to Philly, and it was so close in location, he swore he'd be there this year... So: "Wow, you would do anything to get out of coming to ARGFest, man!" Because he would have found it funny, even if you don't.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:27 am
Last edited by PixiestixModerator on Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
VarinModerator
I Have No Life

My brain can no longer form words. It's been a tough week. So I'll just crosspost what I wrote on FB a couple of days ago...

Quote:
A friend of mine is in the hospital and is very ill. I know a lot of my friends won't know who Brian Clark is, but 96 of you will. It's unbelievable that nearly 1/3 of my friends are also friends of Brian's. It's really a shame that all 326 of you don't know him because he's a guy worth knowing. He's smart, endearing, creative and isn't afraid to tell it like it is.

I met him in person at a few ARGfests (including the SF ARGfest where he ventured out with us while incredibly hungover and was STILL the only one who had no problem drinking out of a toilet water fountain.)

I have a good number of stories I tell over and over again from some of the ARGs Brian worked on. Some of the best stories involve the road trip for the Eldritch Errors game. I drove out to West Virginia with some other players to spend the weekend in a secluded cabin on top of a mountain only accessible by steam train.

In the middle of the night, when it was pitch dark and she was sure everyone was sound asleep, one of the actors screamed out in terror. I was on the top bunk and I sat up so fast I knocked my head on the ceiling and probably gave myself a concussion. I had a bump for a couple of weeks. Once I figured out everyone was ok and saw that someone was already consoling her, I rolled right back over and went to sleep again because I'm a parent and that's what parents learn to do. It's like a parent super power. The non-parents in the cabin were up half the night after that from the resulting adrenaline rush. The two parents, myself and one other player, slept just fine.

Thanks for the fun and memories, Brian. I'll be sending all my good and healing thoughts your way.

Also, I miss you guys. I've let "real life" take over lately and I've lost touch with many UFers. I need to remedy that.

"meta meta meta, I made you out of play..." ~ j5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:05 am
imbriModerator
Entrenched

I'm out of words right now, though some may come over the next few days. If only because we worked on 6 ARGs & ARG-ish things over the years and it would be the right thing to do to post something about that here. My thoughts are just too scattered right now to put together in any sort of coherent form.

I do have a HUGE MASSIVE HUGE favor, though. We are looking for audio of Brian's laugh in order to make a ringtone. Not only are his friends interested, but his family, too. It's been mentioned that there was one made at ARGFest 2010 (Atlanta). If anyone has a copy of it, could you please please send it to me (brookeSPLATgiantmice.com) or post it to Facebook.

If it's completely lost to the wind and you want to scour through the various audio & video of Brian that's out there and make one. That would be amazing.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:13 am
bagsbeeModerator
Unfettered

Varin wrote:
Also, I miss you guys. I've let "real life" take over lately and I've lost touch with many UFers. I need to remedy that.

Truth. If there is a silver lining to any of this, it's that so many of us have reconnected. Hopefully it's not a temporary thing.

Also, I miss Brian's laugh. I still haven't heard an authentic recording of it. Brooke you gotta get on that!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:46 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
missphinx
Unfettered

Oh. So very, very sad to hear this.
I have a mystery. For no/some reason I found myself looking around the GMD Studios website yesterday, for the first time in years. Out of the blue.
Thank you and your spukhafte Fernwirkung, Brian Clark.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:51 am
GupfeeModerator
Site Admin

Pixie asked me to crosspost this from Facebook, and I'm very happy to oblige.

Quote:
The most amazing image just flashed into my mind. Brian Clark, holding a butter knife and an inflatable flamingo, walks into a bar with infinite tables. Scanning the room, his eyes light up in recognition and he cheerfully sidles up to a table where Dave Szulborski is writing furiously in a notebook and humming to himself. "Dave!" he crows, "where have you been, it's been AGES." Dave looks up, befuddled at first, but then a warm grin spreads across his face. "Hey Brian, you made it." "Wouldn't miss it!" Brian sits next to Dave and leans in, his eyes dancing, his crooked smile wide with mischief. "Now, I have this idea for a new project..."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:06 pm
catherwood
I Have 100 Cats and Smell of Wee

Links to articles and tributes:

http://www.argn.com/2015/07/a_group_of_friends_mourning_brian_clark/

http://www.indiewire.com/article/brian-clark-former-indiewire-publisher-and-digital-media-producer-dies-20150702

I have an unread message to FLmutant in my outbox here; I plan to leave it there forever.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:52 pm
roseModerator
...and then Magic happens

Brian...
Creative, innovative, generous and supportive. Brian was never passive, he joined in anything he undertook, whether the smallest game or the biggest speech, with glee and joy. Enthusiasm, that is Brian.

One example: without him we would never have had ARGfest in San Franciso. He gave us money for the conference room without asking for anything in return.

I just don't have words right now to describe the loss I feel. My heart breaks for his close friends, his family and his co-workers who had every reason to expect many more years with him.

Mankind was my business, the common good was my business.~ Dickens

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:28 pm
SpaceBassModerator
The BADministrator

Brian was an exceptional guy. He had a unique perspective and a talent for challenging others to defend their ideas. This is so fucked up.

I didn't drink out of the toilet fountain in San Francisco but I did get a bit of video at the Exploratorium. It's the only thing that's been up on chaoticfiction.com for a long time. Check it out if you want to hear Brian's disembodied voice cackling about pretty things in pain. Brooke, if you want me to try to find the original source video, let me know. I've watched it a few times now and all I can say is that it's a terrible day for rain.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:35 pm
bagsbeeModerator
Unfettered

I'll take it, Spacely. Even that little bit filled my heart up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:18 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
imbriModerator
Entrenched

Thanks, Space! I should be fine with this. I'm going to dig into that project in the next few days. I'll let you know how it goes Smile

Also: I posted the link to ChaoticFiction to facebook. You might see a bit of a bump in traffic. Gave you credit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:22 pm
danteIL
Unfictologist

I'm glad to see this thread appear here. Like many, I suspect, I was completely blindsided by this news, and am saddened beyond words by the fact that this community, and the world at large, has lost such a creative, talented passionate individual.

I never met Brian in person. I knew him mostly through his work, and primarily from his time as one of the PMs behind Eldritch Errors. EE was a singularly.. intense.. experience for many of us, and I believe that most of the reasons why can be laid directly at the feet of not only Brian's boundless ambition and creativity, but also his incredible (and in hindsight, almost unique) trust in his players. Even after EE wound down, I followed his later endeavors from a distance, and was consistently impressed by his intelligence, humor, and willingness to go meta. So even though I never had the chance to know him personally, this is still a loss that hurts, on many levels.

In the words of our mutual friend St. Feline, I'll bseeingu.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:18 am
imbriModerator
Entrenched

Ringtone

It took much longer than expected to find the time to do this, but! the ringtone is done! And it was a super fun project.

There's an m4r (iphone ringtone) and mp3 version. Go get one or both.

All the audio came from episode 40 of the StoryForward podcast. It's a fun casual episode with Steve & Brian chatting about Steve's Sundance fun as The Dude, second screen apps (and their suckitude), the usefulness of snark, and more. I can recommend it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:56 pm
vpisteveModerator
Asshatministrator

Hey guys,

I know I haven't been posting here in a while, but today being Brian's memorial service has had me heavy of heart all day, and I realized I hadn't ben to uF in way too long, so wanted to see what people were saying here. It's good to see folks coming together to remember him and the fun and mischief that he brought into all our lives.

I've been keeping pretty private about this whole thing, but feel very privileged to have been able to be with Brian and his friends and family in what turned out to be his last 48 hours.

He knew everyone was pulling for him and sending their best thoughts and prayers. A lot of what this community is today is thanks to him. I mean, I first got to meet him at ARGFest 2005, and he was a fixture at ARGFests almost every year.

So here's to Brian. He went on ahead of us, and he will definitely be missed.

Rest in peace, my dear, dear friend.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:17 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
PixiestixModerator
Resident Angry Midget

The Film Society of Lincoln Center has opened a fund in Brian's name.
Quote:
Contributions will establish a mentorship program in Brianís name to provide guidance to emerging artists and creators.

http://www.filmlinc.com/daily/entry/brian-clark-fund-immersive-storytelling-mentorship-program-convergence

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:18 am
Page 1 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Updates » News & Rumors
Jump to: