Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Got a jones for some uF swag?
Visit Ye Olde Tradin' Post!

The time now is Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:51 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Marble Hornets
New series 44?
Moderators: Giskard, JKatkina, Zarggg
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 3 of 45 [662 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 43, 44, 45  Next
Cyan507
Unfettered

Ascalondion wrote:
wassupbro wrote:
I would probably prefer this anyway. A new "mystery" series about a creature that we've been examining through MH for years now? We already would know too much. They need something new that we have no clue about from the start to make it any good. We basically already know how the operator works, and we would probably know more than the protagonists.

But at the same time, the distortion is really similar. Distortion in video and audio was easily my favorite aspect of MH so Im actually pretty stoked they seem to be keeping those effects

Agreed. But I wonder what the "source" of the distortion will be this time. I hope for a more rational explanation, so that inferences can be made, other than just "well, guess TO funked time and space up".

i agree. even though there's still distortion, it's context could be entirely different, the footage could be messed up because of poor reception or living conditions. And there might be a more logical reason for it as well

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:09 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
DHawk314
Entrenched

I think the mysterious supernatural aspect of the distortion was cool; there's this general sense that it being the Operator means complex structures like cameras (or minds or bodies or space or time) just can't survive. But there was always distortion in totheark videos too, and I do feel like maybe there's some meaning to it. Especially if it's replicated in a same-universe'd supernatural setting. For some reason the idea of some cryptic mythos underneath everything interests me. Not in an explanatory way exactly, just the idea that there's some ever present force or something in that universe.

I'm in here sometimes: http://tinychat.com/thehoodyhub

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:22 pm
darmam0o
Boot

THAC said that the new series won't revolve around the Operator, but it doesn't mean he/it won't be present at all. The Operator's powers can be the source of distortion. I always believed that the Operator bends the very fabric of reality in the places he frequents, hence the teleportation doors in Brian's house, distortion in totheark's videos, looped Rosswood park locations et cetera. It doesn't require the Operator's actual presence when he's done with the place/person.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:05 am
Cyan507
Unfettered

darmam0o wrote:
THAC said that the new series won't revolve around the Operator, but it doesn't mean he/it won't be present at all. The Operator's powers can be the source of distortion. I always believed that the Operator bends the very fabric of reality in the places he frequents, hence the teleportation doors in Brian's house, distortion in totheark's videos, looped Rosswood park locations et cetera. It doesn't require the Operator's actual presence when he's done with the place/person.

Very true, but there seems to be a general consensus in the community that slenderman has had his time and now it's over. And while I'm sure THAC are proud of what they've accomplished with MH, it's not unreasonable to assume that they'd want to distance themselves from TO a little and create something more original like Masky or Hoody.
But to refer to my earlier point, since we're staying in the MH universe I'm starting to think the distortion and teleportation occurrences could be typical of the MH universe, and not just exclusive to TO.
Like they said the series will be mystery in genre, but no mention of horror or paranormal, although the concept of there being something unexplainable and higher is a fundamental trait of this kind of thing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:14 am
DHawk314
Entrenched

They said it was mystery horror, and they still haven't said its in the same universe for sure, they said it might be, a really long time ago, back when they probably didn't even know. Also, I don't know about teleportation being "typical" of the MH universe. What does that even mean anyway? It's like, Earth. Also also, the distortion is discussed by the Jay as happening in certain scenarios, so I don't know how typical it could be. Unless it's just typical of supernatural shit in that universe, but if that's it I'm gonna assume some connection, or some underlying paranormal bullshit in that world.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:54 pm
lonsumtravlr
Entrenched

Cyan507 wrote:
Very true, but there seems to be a general consensus in the community that slenderman has had his time and now it's over. And while I'm sure THAC are proud of what they've accomplished with MH, it's not unreasonable to assume that they'd want to distance themselves from TO a little and create something more original like Masky or Hoody.
But to refer to my earlier point, since we're staying in the MH universe I'm starting to think the distortion and teleportation occurrences could be typical of the MH universe, and not just exclusive to TO.
Like they said the series will be mystery in genre, but no mention of horror or paranormal, although the concept of there being something unexplainable and higher is a fundamental trait of this kind of thing.

I hope they do, because except for a handful of entries in Season Three, TO seemed to be well past its prime by the time Season Two wrapped up.

IF IT IS the same universe, it would be nice to see a sort of TTA-ish presence. Though it seems it's not the actual organization that people'd thought.

As well as at least a cameo appearance by The Haight.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:07 pm
Cyan507
Unfettered

lonsumtravlr wrote:
Cyan507 wrote:

I hope they do, because except for a handful of entries in Season Three, TO seemed to be well past its prime by the time Season Two wrapped up.

IF IT IS the same universe, it would be nice to see a sort of TTA-ish presence. Though it seems it's not the actual organization that people'd thought.

As well as at least a cameo appearance by The Haight.

Maybe, I dunno. I liked him in Season 3.

There has to be some TTA presence, I mean it was in the teaser Razz

Yup, scrap channel 44. Make the new series the Haight channel, make millions.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:24 pm
lonsumtravlr
Entrenched

Cyan507 wrote:

Well, I liked him in parts of Season 3... particularly Entries #64, 65, 72, and 86. Entry #82 had its moments, but he came off looking kinda lame near the end. Looked like Joseph in a suit trying to suffocate himself with about $1,000 worth of silly putty.

As for TTA--you mean the font with the 4's? That's what I was thinking, as well as with that shot that some are saying looks like The Operator (I don't quite see it--I mean, I see it, but I don't quite see it). This new series doesn't even have to be supernatural. There could be some other reason for the distortion, etc.

As for The Haight Channel: If they start it, at least some will come.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:29 pm
Cyan507
Unfettered

lonsumtravlr wrote:
Cyan507 wrote:

Well, I liked him in parts of Season 3... particularly Entries #64, 65, 72, and 86. Entry #82 had its moments, but he came off looking kinda lame near the end. Looked like Joseph in a suit trying to suffocate himself with about $1,000 worth of silly putty.

As for TTA--you mean the font with the 4's? That's what I was thinking, as well as with that shot that some are saying looks like The Operator (I don't quite see it--I mean, I see it, but I don't quite see it). This new series doesn't even have to be supernatural. There could be some other reason for the distortion, etc.

As for The Haight Channel: If they start it, at least some will come.

Couldn't have said it better, 80 killed it for me. Dem flares though Razz

I don't see the Operator either, more so a face that resembles Joseph's maybe...The font kind of gives me a TTA feel but it's more so the entire feel of the video, like something is inherently wrong, always wrong. Less of a Operator or TTA thing but a vague MH universe thing. The shot with the 4s was very TTA but the red faces also gave me chills from the old days.

but as you said:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:38 pm
lonsumtravlr
Entrenched

Cyan507 wrote:
Couldn't have said it better, 80 killed it for me. Dem flares though Razz

I don't see the Operator either, more so a face that resembles Joseph's maybe...The font kind of gives me a TTA feel but it's more so the entire feel of the video, like something is inherently wrong, always wrong. Less of a Operator or TTA thing but a vague MH universe thing. The shot with the 4s was very TTA but the red faces also gave me chills from the old days.

Aw, dude, I forgot all about Entry #80. I actually loved that one. That was kind of the last great TO manifestation (except for the one in Entry #83 where he sort of pixellates into existence in the school--that made me jump the first few times I saw it).

What about this? What if those who said TTA is someone other than Hoody and those who say it wasn't are both sort of right? Maybe "totheark" won't show up, but maybe there's some sort of individual or... presence... that hangs around a certain town or, if it's a different town, certain towns down South and knows everything going on there and maybe somehow comes into contact with particular characters from both series and keeps tabs on and even influences what happens from the shadows? (I might not be clear, but I was wondering whether I needed to use spoilers for the benefit of anyone who may be new and hasn't seen all of MH yet--so,
Spoiler (Rollover to View):
maybe this figure or entity was somehow close to Brian after he became Hoody and influenced the making of the tapes, etc., and maybe it'll show up here in a largely but not completely unrecognizable form?
)

And, yeah, Field of Dreams was a good movie (the book was far better). It's too bad that field and farm are up for sale.

EDIT: I know the THAC boys have said they don't want (or at least they didn't originally want) to make horror/suspense for the remainder of their careers (they're just so fuckin' good at it, I hope they don't hang it up forever), but what if they created a sort of fictional region in which all of their series, suspense or not, occurred--sort of like Faulkner's Yoknapawtapha County, Mississippi, or Lovecraft's Arkham, Mass.? It would be cool to see them do something like that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:37 pm
TheJoker
Entrenched

You know what'd be cool? If it is set in Rosswood, it'd be cool if the antique store figured into the plot somehow.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:50 pm
lonsumtravlr
Entrenched

TheJoker wrote:
You know what'd be cool? If it is set in Rosswood, it'd be cool if the antique store figured into the plot somehow.

It has to! With all the defuncted cameras and that weird etching with the seemingly faceless guy near what seems to be the Hut?

But the store was closing down, so if it's set about 2011, the antique store wouldn't be an antique store anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:02 pm
DHawk314
Entrenched

I don't believe they're going to do this, but if totheark returns it could also just be Tim. He was always the most plausible candidate in any Hoody+other(s) theory. In fact, the Hoody+Masky totheark theory was arguably more plausible than anything else. Alternatively: Seth lives as Skully.

I agree that there's a general wrongness to the trailer in common with totheark, that's what I keep blabbing about. totheark stared into some terrible void and that void's still out there...or not, as the case may be.

Also I liked The Operator until the end. Can you really say none of his appearances in the Tim/Alex fight were any good?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:46 pm
KLind
Entrenched

Based on things they've said, I would be surprised for this to tied to Marble Hornets at all; short of a wink and a nod. I think everyones reading a bit too into the terminology of "Follow up to Marble Hornets".

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:09 pm
lonsumtravlr
Entrenched

KLind wrote:
Based on things they've said, I would be surprised for this to tied to Marble Hornets at all; short of a wink and a nod. I think everyones reading a bit too into the terminology of "Follow up to Marble Hornets".

just harmless fan speculation and wishin' is all...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:35 pm
Page 3 of 45 [662 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 43, 44, 45  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Marble Hornets
Jump to: