Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Having Trouble with the Boards?
Ask in the General Forum
or email unforum /at/ unfiction.com

The time now is Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:18 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Marble Hornets
New series 44?
Moderators: Giskard, JKatkina, Zarggg
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 2 of 45 [662 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 43, 44, 45  Next
lonsumtravlr
Entrenched

Cyan507 wrote:
I dunno...before the teaser the idea I had was the MH universe only stretched as far as Rosswood and Tim's town (half in a literal sense if you get me) and that the channel would be renamed to accommodate MH, the new series and whatever's next. And in doing so naming the channel "The Rosswood files or the Rosswood videos" which broadly keeps the content on the channel in the same universe but doesn't confine them to any particular part of the timeline or any given eventuality. What I mean is that it's extremely likely Troy and Joseph will appear in (let's call it for now) 44, maybe not as Jay and Alex but since the MH universe was never short of inconsistencies don't rule out the possibility of being presented with a scenario where neither or them died.

EDIT: I know I'm grasping at straws here but the presence of a tree in the 44 logo is notable, about 70% of the known MH universe is shrouded in woodland, so it's still feels relevant to MH, someone earlier mentioned public access tv which I don't know a lot about but seems like a five star idea for the series.

Only problem I have (and this is a personal complaint) with making this a public access or community TV station other than that in some areas it's dying out as cable and analog broadcasting decline (and in the latter instance completely died), is that it sounds a bit too creepypastaish. It makes me think of "1999," which is pretty generally good and possibly ongoing. But if they're not gonna do what they did for MH and what the EMH/Shamlife dudes did apparently with a real shitty pasta (making it "twigs" and then, I guess, the whatistwigs tumblr--which just resumed and is still largely great and eons beyond what sparked it), then I really hope this is either not internet mythology related or else is from something so obscure that it's a whole new creation of its own.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:27 am
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
DHawk314
Entrenched

1) MH had inconsistencies? Like what?
2) Wait, how could the whole MH universe literally be Rosswood and the town? In season one they're not even there yet. Also it really seems like they live on like, Earth. Actually, the whole posted on YouTube supposed to be real premise kind of implied that, but I guess that part's kinda vague now anyway.

I doubt they're doing a creepypasta mythos thing. That's probably jumping the gun a bit. They said this one wasn't about the Operator, and I'd be willing to bet it's just going to be their own thing.

I'm interested in the use of distortion and cryptic numbers and such. If you think about it, it's weird that Alex and totheark both knew it was called the Operator and wrote similar cryptic messages about it. I always thought there had to be some Operator related void they both stared into too much or something.

That's the kind of mythology shit I'd like to see at least alluded to. Like maybe there's some other phenomenon that the Operator was opening them up into somehow. Honestly I'm very intrigued by the whole 44 thing, I know they used the number a lot in MH. I do wonder if Troy and Joseph will appear (back from the dead!) although I kind of doubt if it's really the same universe that they'll just do that.

I'm in here sometimes: http://tinychat.com/thehoodyhub

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:35 pm
Cyan507
Unfettered

DHawk314 wrote:
1) MH had inconsistencies? Like what?
2) Wait, how could the whole MH universe literally be Rosswood and the town? In season one they're not even there yet. Also it really seems like they live on like, Earth. Actually, the whole posted on YouTube supposed to be real premise kind of implied that, but I guess that part's kinda vague now anyway.

I doubt they're doing a creepypasta mythos thing. That's probably jumping the gun a bit. They said this one wasn't about the Operator, and I'd be willing to bet it's just going to be their own thing.

I'm interested in the use of distortion and cryptic numbers and such. If you think about it, it's weird that Alex and totheark both knew it was called the Operator and wrote similar cryptic messages about it. I always thought there had to be some Operator related void they both stared into too much or something.

That's the kind of mythology shit I'd like to see at least alluded to. Like maybe there's some other phenomenon that the Operator was opening them up into somehow. Honestly I'm very intrigued by the whole 44 thing, I know they used the number a lot in MH. I do wonder if Troy and Joseph will appear (back from the dead!) although I kind of doubt if it's really the same universe that they'll just do that.

No, look at what I said, I said the MH universe had inconsistencies. As in very few of the frequented areas in the series actually obey the laws of physics, and an explanation would be beyond science. Look at the house from Season 1 and Rosswood Park, both places lead in circles, knots and every-which direction they should not. The reason I'm bringing this up is because if 44 is set in the MH universe but not a continuation nor another story about TO, then it's reasonable to assume there's something else out there.

Raising OOG points wouldn't be fair but since no place names are used and we seldom see people other than the cast in the videos the geography of the MH universe has to be questioned. Keep in mind there was a brief point in time that the theories of everyone being dead or none of it being real were almost contending frontrunners. But thanks for raising the point of the vagueness, it's nothing huge to stipulate on, but MH never seemed to depart from the woodland environment too much, which for me is a strong characteristic in said universe, hell it's even in the logo for the new series. While they clearly live on Earth, the line between where the MH universe begins and ends is never defined, meaning that absolutely anything can happen in it.

But like you said, I wouldn't think they're doing a pasta thing, they've proven they can write their own entities worthy of mythos immersion but they no longer need to draw from it.

Quote:
Only problem I have (and this is a personal complaint) with making this a public access or community TV station other than that in some areas it's dying out as cable and analog broadcasting decline (and in the latter instance completely died), is that it sounds a bit too creepypastaish. It makes me think of "1999," which is pretty generally good and possibly ongoing. But if they're not gonna do what they did for MH and what the EMH/Shamlife dudes did apparently with a real shitty pasta (making it "twigs" and then, I guess, the whatistwigs tumblr--which just resumed and is still largely great and eons beyond what sparked it), then I really hope this is either not internet mythology related or else is from something so obscure that it's a whole new creation of its own.

That's a good point, but I think the fact that all that form of broadcasting is now obsolete is exactly the reason why they're going to do it. Before this teaser and Space Time Express Troy and Tim were quite vocal about their love for outdated software and equipment, though 90% of Troy's editing would clue you in on that.

I don't think they'll have a monster or pasta per say, but maybe some run down old town/city in the middle of nowhere with some tacky as hell tv show, where stuff goes horribly wrong. Maybe it's just me but the idea of some cheesy-circa 90s station being overrun by something sounds ultra-neato Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:34 pm
elford
Decorated

I remember from one posdcast that they were talking about numbers stations from the radio, so maybe this is like a numbers station only it's tv--like someone takes over a station, I really like that idea that someone mentioned.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:55 pm
DHawk314
Entrenched

I always thought that since the Operator teleported that teleporting through the woods and the house was his doing. Maybe he warps geography itself and that's how he teleports, or maybe he was just teleporting the charaxters. It's even possible that being exposed to it changes you into a more teleporty person. But I always figured it was him somehow.

I still think it's a stretch to say MH isn't just in like, America and the world and stuff. It's not like they lived in a world of dilapidated buildings and wooded areas, they were always driving and there's always other cars, and they all went to school and college and stuff. And Jay's channel was real in the series. Even if the channel's IG existence is outdated, part of the premise still seems to be that it's in the world.

Honestly it's not that I'm not interested in this idea of it being another universe or something, but I can't tell you that I quite understand it. You are right that they like to shoot in the woods though, they've even said that they do, and clearly that's continuing. It's also a real part of the pre-MH Slender Man mythos on Something Awful, but that could be made to be something else. If they start to touch on the importance of the forest I'll be intrigued, but I'm weary of any sort of mythological expectations going that deep. They're not really into world building, and I think that's worked for them so far.

Fake edit: The station idea is really interesting. I wonder if someone will take over the channel IG, I'd be ok with that sort of explanation. I wonder then if Tim would end up involved, but I somehow doubt it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:02 pm
lonsumtravlr
Entrenched

Cyan507 wrote:
Quote:

That's a good point, but I think the fact that all that form of broadcasting is now obsolete is exactly the reason why they're going to do it. Before this teaser and Space Time Express Troy and Tim were quite vocal about their love for outdated software and equipment, though 90% of Troy's editing would clue you in on that.

I don't think they'll have a monster or pasta per say, but maybe some run down old town/city in the middle of nowhere with some tacky as hell tv show, where stuff goes horribly wrong. Maybe it's just me but the idea of some cheesy-circa 90s station being overrun by something sounds ultra-neato Very Happy

Aw, dude, I'd love that, actually (though I should point out that that's what "twigs", which is set in 1992, was Smile ). Even if it's set around the time of Alex Kralie's movie it would be cool. It's really the established internet myth I'd like to see them avoid (or else plumb for something no ones heard of forever and everyone, even it's creators, has forgotten, and then make it their own).

The thing about the Deep South is that some towns are so sprawling and vast that there's a lot of room even for a big town to have a smaller, localized, even dinky public access station. That's why "1999" came to mind. That was
Spoiler (Rollover to View):
some freak in the forest with a camera as the whole station

I gotta tell you, I'm more excited about this series than I was when I discovered Marble Hornets.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:05 pm
lonsumtravlr
Entrenched

elford wrote:
I remember from one posdcast that they were talking about numbers stations from the radio, so maybe this is like a numbers station only it's tv--like someone takes over a station, I really like that idea that someone mentioned.

I remember that in passing. But we woulda gotten a different kinda tease with a TV numbers station (which I've heard there were at one time).

EDIT: actually, know what--maybe we wouldn't have gotten a different tease... There was next to no sound in that clip, right? A numbers station would likely have been broadcasting numbers somehow, possibly having someone read them off--or maybe there's some other means of broadcasting the numbers...

Dammit, I'm getting myself worked up here...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:07 pm
Last edited by lonsumtravlr on Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cyan507
Unfettered

elford wrote:

You're getting me too excited, stop it. Sure would explain the numbers though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:41 pm
ZargggModerator
Unfictologist

Vincent wrote:
I thought I was done with Troy's sick games.

You're on the wrong forum if that's your goal. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:49 pm
Ascalondion
Decorated

lonsumtravlr wrote:
elford wrote:

I remember that in passing. But we woulda gotten a different kinda tease with a TV numbers station (which I've heard there were at one time).

EDIT: actually, know what--maybe we wouldn't have gotten a different tease... There was next to no sound in that clip, right? A numbers station would likely have been broadcasting numbers somehow, possibly having someone read them off--or maybe there's some other means of broadcasting the numbers...

Dammit, I'm getting myself worked up here...

Actually, there is a lot of static in the background. I've tried to reduce some of the static and this is what remains. Sounds to me like either some broadcasting artifacts or ... voices...
44_teaser_withoutnoise.mp3
Description  Sound bit from the 44 teaser with reduced noise
mp3

Download 
Filename  44_teaser_withoutnoise.mp3 
Filesize  105.3KB 
Downloaded  156 Time(s) 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:43 am
KTsteve
Unfettered

Goddammit *dusts off account* I thought I was done with this place Razz

So a Marble hornets follow up series instead of just a new series? What are these shenanigans?

So we have the return of static, trees and a whole lot of 4's.

The 44 and tree definitely looks like a public access logo for something forest related. Being a Marble Hornets follow up leads me to believe it's rosswood parks ranger station or something like that.

If there's a monster they'll either stick with the operator or create something new. Here's hoping we get some more teaser soon...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:03 am
Cyan507
Unfettered

KTsteve wrote:
Goddammit *dusts off account* I thought I was done with this place Razz

So a Marble hornets follow up series instead of just a new series? What are these shenanigans?

So we have the return of static, trees and a whole lot of 4's.

The 44 and tree definitely looks like a public access logo for something forest related. Being a Marble Hornets follow up leads me to believe it's rosswood parks ranger station or something like that.

If there's a monster they'll either stick with the operator or create something new. Here's hoping we get some more teaser soon...

They've said it won't revolve around TO. But the ranger station sounds cool, do they have that kind of thing in the US??? The logo also has some kind of lake/river in it, and while we never really saw one, I'd say it's likely there's a large body of water somewhere in Rosswood, given how much of a heavy motif is was in the TTA videos. I'd say we're due another (maybe more specific) teaser before March is out and maybe a pilot by this time next month.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:35 am
DHawk314
Entrenched

Why does everyone think that there's some fundamental difference between "mystery horror series on the MH channel in the same tone as it" (what they originally said it was) and "MH follow up". This is their next mystery horror thing, it's on the same channel, that makes it a follow up. I don't see the special meaning in the phrasing. They said it wasn't about the Operator and it wasn't a sequel. I have no reason to disbelieve this.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:52 am
wassupbro
Unfettered

I would probably prefer this anyway. A new "mystery" series about a creature that we've been examining through MH for years now? We already would know too much. They need something new that we have no clue about from the start to make it any good. We basically already know how the operator works, and we would probably know more than the protagonists.

But at the same time, the distortion is really similar. Distortion in video and audio was easily my favorite aspect of MH so Im actually pretty stoked they seem to be keeping those effects

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:34 am
Ascalondion
Decorated

wassupbro wrote:
I would probably prefer this anyway. A new "mystery" series about a creature that we've been examining through MH for years now? We already would know too much. They need something new that we have no clue about from the start to make it any good. We basically already know how the operator works, and we would probably know more than the protagonists.

But at the same time, the distortion is really similar. Distortion in video and audio was easily my favorite aspect of MH so Im actually pretty stoked they seem to be keeping those effects

Agreed. But I wonder what the "source" of the distortion will be this time. I hope for a more rational explanation, so that inferences can be made, other than just "well, guess TO funked time and space up".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:50 pm
Page 2 of 45 [662 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., 43, 44, 45  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Marble Hornets
Jump to: