Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
What is an ARG?
Read imbri's Quickstart Guide

The time now is Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:34 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Meta » General META Discussion
General Information: email from Charles Herold about ARG's
Moderators: imbri, ndemeter
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
rose
...and then Magic happens

General Information: email from Charles Herold about ARG's

I got the following email in response to one I sent this morning about ARG's (FYI: Charles Herold reviews games for the New York Times):

Quote:
Acheron is running? Unfiction lists it as "coming soon." I looked at it a little back when they were still calling it L3 but I've been waiting to hear it had launched before checking it out again. Waht's Metacortechs?

I'm open to writing about ARG games again (I've visited the ARG universe twice now, once when I wrote about it in general, discussing SearchforE and a little on Chasing the Wish and L3 (which is what it still was then) and earlier when I reviewed the original A.I. game. I think for me to write about it again I need to see something that's as compelling as A.I., which is still easily the best of all ARG games. But if something like that turns up I would certainly review it.

Never can solve those puzzles though. They should all have "mensa only" stamped on them. Wink
Thanks for writing.

--
Best regards,

Charles Herold
Game Theorist | New York Times | heroldSPLATnytimes.com

"Life is a hooker and I'm all out of cash." - Max Payne

Anyone want to explain Metacortechs to him?
He seems to be paying attention, but only to the first page of the Unfiction site.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:27 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
vpisteve
Asshatministrator

As far as MetaCortechs goes, you might want to point him to a couple recent articles:

MetaCortechs article in The Scotsman (when they thought the game was most likely put on by the Matrix producers),

The Puppet Masters article in the Guardian UK, which I think was a pretty good overview of the genre right now,

and perhaps the MU Credits page.

With no game live currently, the Guardian Article seems the most applicable.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:43 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Wolf
Decorated

Don't forget this one:

http://net.nana.co.il/Article/?ArticleID=2918

Translated here as a PDF file (sorry, you have to be a Yahoo member to read the translation--unless Gupfee still has the PDF...for some reason I can't save it or I'd just link it as an attachment)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jawbreak/message/4322

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:10 pm
Caterpillar
Unfictologist

Quote:
"Life is a hooker and I'm all out of cash." - Max Payne

Lovin' this.... Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:24 pm
MageSteff
Pretty talky there aintcha, Talky?

Rose, the training ARG is beginning to show signs it may actually happen, if he is interested in seeing an ARG from the ground up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:59 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yanka
Fickle

Re: General Information: email from Charles Herold about ARG

rose wrote:

Aside from what Steve has already mentioned, there is also this. It was intended to "initiate" new people to the game, and it's pretty inclusive for being relatively short, if he wants the storyline/game progress.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:24 am
vpisteve
Asshatministrator

I always liked this Guide, and was disappointed to see it sort of abandoned.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:07 am
bagsbee
Unfettered

Re: General Information: email from Charles Herold about ARG

rose wrote:

Metacortechs? What's that?

Oh...you mean that game that hijacked my soul for the better part of two months?

Nope, never heard of it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:54 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rose

Reply email from Charles Herold

I emailed Charles Herold again to inform him I had posted his email to me on the forums (I posted it before asking his permission) and to invite him to play the next game with us.
His reply:

Quote:
I heard from an Acheron puppetmaster that I was in the forums, I don't mind at all. I like ARGs but it difficult to keep up with them unless you haunt the forums keeping up with what people have discovered, and alas, I just don't have the sort of time one needs to do that. My time gets sucked up playing the games I know about (I'm still trying to get through the pre-Xmas explosion) so I was on one mailing list that occassionally reports ARG activity (and apparently has some gaps) and I occassionally looked at the home page of unfiction.com and that's about as much as I can manage. I was really looking forward to what started out as L3 and am very disappointed to have missed it, but it's just too hard to keep track of these things on my own, and from what I've seen they often have a long period of expectation, run a test, wait a while longer, run a while, take a break or run out of steam or, in the best cases, carry on to a conclusion. So you need a certain commitment. And ARGs only really work if you see them unfold; I've waded through detailed ARG synopsises but you can never really get a sense of them that way.

I also have the problem I have with all games; I play everything, I have dozens of games sitting in a pile waiting for me, so something needs to really grab me right away. Chasing the Wish seemed interesting and back in the days when I didn't review games and used to sit in my office looking for ways to goof off I probably would have kept up with it, but I didn't. Acheron might have held me better, but I missed it.

Ideally everytime an ARG gets going someone, anyone, would send me an email saying, there's a new one, go check it out. And I would, because I think it's a fascinating, original medium with incredible potential. I wish I could just get a sticky note in the unfiction forums saying, everytime a new ARG starts, email that guy from the Times. Because obviously puppetmasters aren't likely to email me since they like to be anonymous until it's all over.

If any notable new ARGs start up and you happen to think of me I'd love to hear about it. Thanks.
--
Best regards,

Charles Herold cheroldSPLATnyc.rr.com http://home.nyc.rr.com/cherold

Spacely or whoever, can you please post the sticky note he requested? And, a player should make sure to email him about the next game. (I will, if I am around, but anyone can and should. Just as long as we don't deluge him with emails.)

BTW: Anyone know which newsletter he is referring to? Should we try to create a database of media people to inform about ARG's keeping in mind the point he made about the inability of PMs to notify him without raising the curtain? Or is there one already that I don't know about?

I think we could get him to join us as a player if we can help him keep track of what is happening with the game. He sounds like he would be a fun person to have around regardless of whether he ever wrote about the game.

Not a bad job he has, is it?

Mankind was my business, the common good was my business.~ Dickens

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:59 am
vpisteve
Asshatministrator

Hmm, I think Charles is talking about the ARGN mailing list, ( argn-subscribeSPLATtopica.com ). Odd thing in that that list did announce acheron's launch, etc. if I recall.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 1:35 pm
SpaceBass
The BADministrator

Charles Herold wrote:
Because obviously puppetmasters aren't likely to email me since they like to be anonymous until it's all over.

I seem to recall an ARGN announcement of Acheron too, as well as one for MetaCortechs a couple of weeks in. Not to mention Mr. Herold was the lucky unsolicited recipient of the MetaVRx press release email, which he obviously didn't follow up on. Just because an email isn't signed "Love, Some Puppetmasters" doesn't mean you didn't get one! Wink

I'm not sure where to put this sticky. News & Rumors? Would people notice it when they first posted a rumor and swamp him with emails about just possible ARGs? Would they remember to tell him when it turned out that a possible ARG was probable? Would a billion people email him at once? Suggestions?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:49 pm
vpisteve
Asshatministrator

This was kind of the whole idea behind the mailing list. Folks could go about their daily lives if they want to, and then just get an email alerting them to a possible new game.

In theory.

Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:59 pm
MageSteff
Pretty talky there aintcha, Talky?

Rose, just so you and others know, (and Mr. Herold doesn't get 50 e-mails for the same thing)

I sent him an announcement about AWARE, plus links to the Rabbithole for it, and the forum thread involved here and a link to Collective Detective. If someone would keep it in mind when "Orbicon: The training grounds" gets on its feet and running, if someone would kindly send him similar info?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:01 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rose

I don't know what announcements were sent to him, but it seems he was here for the Acheron pregame and then waited for the game to start. Despite the press release, he must have missed the whole MU thing, which probably means he needs an email from a player saying "Hey Charles, this game is starting and you should play." Preferably in a more enticing manner, but you get the idea.

Is there a way to designate a player or two who would be responsible for sending out updates to the media, not a PM or BTS person, and who could post a copy of the email on the board? Maybe a sticky isn't really needed since we now know how interested he is?

As someone who reads his column regularly, I think his saying:
Quote:
And I would, because I think it's a fascinating, original medium with incredible potential.

is amazing! He is a fair and honest critic and coming from him this is very high praise. All the PM's out there should be very pleased.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:36 pm
addlepated
Unfictologist

Magesteff wrote:
I sent him an announcement about AWARE, plus links to the Rabbithole for it, and the forum thread involved here and a link to Collective Detective. If someone would keep it in mind when "Orbicon: The training grounds" gets on its feet and running, if someone would kindly send him similar info?

This concerns me. There are several things that can go wrong in the situation - something could come up and Nash has to postpone or cancel, for example - and now the New York Times is sitting there and monitoring the game for activity. If it doesn't happen as planned, the NYT is going to get a bad impression. Personally, I think that sending announcements to the press either needs to be initiated by the PMs or sanctioned by them, unless it's something that's here and immediate. AWARE isn't even supposed to start for 5 more months. The NYT having the information at this early date puts a lot of pressure on the PMs. It's a moot point this time around, but I think it needs to be thought about in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:58 pm
Page 1 of 2 [18 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Meta » General META Discussion
Jump to: