Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
What is an ARG?
Read imbri's Quickstart Guide

The time now is Thu May 25, 2017 12:04 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Marble Hornets
Infographics
Moderators: Giskard, JKatkina, Zarggg
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 9 [130 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9 Next
aidansean
Unfettered

Infographics
Let's make some Marble Hornets infographics!

Given how much information we have to keep track of in Marble Hornets I thought it would be useful and fun to make some infographics showing the main points. I've never made anything like this before, so it's quite a challenge getting all the information on there.

I've attached a timeline infographic which is a work in progress, so there are many mistakes on there that need fixing (mostly I haven't arranged the Summer of 2006 in any consistent order yet, and there are probably a few typos here and there.) I've split the timeline up into scenes so we no longer have to talk about entire entries. (For example Entry #54 has scenes from both 2006 and 2012, so I split those scenes up and put one of them in the 2006 part of the timeline and one of them in the 2012 part of the timeline. For entries which only contain footage from the past the scene is included in the relevant part of the timeline and a note is added to say when the entry was released.) Each scene then contains information about when and where it was filmed (with most dates in 2006 guessed), who filmed it, which channel and season it appeared in, and which characters appeared in it. You can follow each character's journey through the timeline with their arrows, and every time there's an arrowhead, that character appears in the scene or event. I've probably got some continuity errors there, so I'll have to fix those, some cases will be ambiguous, and in some cases I'll have to revise which characters were where at a given time. Where possible I've specified the location of everything, splitting it between CollegeTown, Rosswood, and Elsewhere (totheark lives mostly in "Elsewhere" until we get strong evidence to the contrary. Jay lives in "Elsewhere" when he's hotel hopping and not obviously in either CollegeTown or Rosswood.) The scenes are colour coded according to who filmed them and how the tapes were obtained. (I really should add a key to make that clear.) I've included my own interpretation of where Entry #29 fits in, based mostly on the events of Entry #52, which could be controversial.

Any comments/criticisms/suggestions appreciated. I want to make this awesome! Even comments on style/colour scheme etc are welcome. I made this with the HTML Canvas, so with some extra work it might be possible to make it interactive (eg click on a scene to get the youtube video and links to the unfiction thread, wikidot page, youtube page.)

I'm thinking of making some other infographics as well, such as a list of locations and guesses at distances between them. Another one would show the "flow" of tapes, cameras and other objects between the characters over time, so that we can do things like track who has the chestcam, where a given tape was hiding, and where the knife and gun are.

Other suggestions are welcome of course, and I'm happy to share source code with people if they want to play about with the information themselves. Finally, a plug for the summary page I made (now with more scary.)

(Edits to update the timeline based on corrections and feedback from the thread. Thanks for feedback!)

EDIT: Updated timeline for Entry #87. Items timeline is being significantly revised.
items_12.png
 Description   Items version 12
 Filesize   2.61MB
 Viewed   4340 Time(s)

items_12.png

timeline_27.png
 Description   Timeline version 27 (Final copy, pending corrections and tweaks)
 Filesize   7.54MB
 Viewed   803 Time(s)

timeline_27.png

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:17 pm
Last edited by aidansean on Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:08 pm; edited 34 times in total
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Grumplestiltskin
Unfettered

aidansean, this... Worshippy Holy Mother of Pie...

I'm just agog. What an enormous amount of work this must have involved. And holy crap, thank you! I'm going to have to sit down with this for an extended period of time.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:54 pm
Magyk
Unfettered

Worshippy

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:56 pm
Hazman
Entrenched

Oh my god.... How long did that take. I haven't even looked at it and it looks impressive from the sheer size Rock On Worshippy

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:36 am
Lithp
I Have No Life

This is exactly the kind of thing I need to keep track of what goes on in the Entries. I vote we sticky the topic. Or make another topic, sticky it, & put that in it. I don't know, SOMETHING.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:48 am
Serum

What's "Session T3" from 1990? I've never seen that, nor can I find ToTheArk's video by that name... I thought the earliest footage we had was from "enttry 37." It's the first thing on the list and I'm totally confused. Is it canon? Or is it canon in the way the post on the message board on "Something Awful" is "canon?" (Which it's not.)

EDIT: Also, when did they ever make any mention of Alex's dog disappearing?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:39 am
Hazman
Entrenched

Serum wrote:
What's "Session T3" from 1990? I've never seen that, nor can I find ToTheArk's video by that name... I thought the earliest footage we had was from "enttry 37." It's the first thing on the list and I'm totally confused. Is it canon? Or is it canon in the way the post on the message board on "Something Awful" is "canon?" (Which it's not.)

It's just called Session, I think T3 stands for totheark season 3 and M3 stands for Marble Hornets season 3

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:41 am
Serum

Hazman wrote:
Serum wrote:

It's just called Session, I think T3 stands for totheark season 3 and M3 stands for Marble Hornets season 3

Gotcha. So that footage from "Session" was taken in 1990? Also, what's this about the dog missing? They never said that, did they?

EDIT: No, wait, I don't get it-- I just watched "Session," it looks like it was filmed at the burned out hospital Tim stayed at, but before whatever happened there burned it down, but the footage is clearly from the 1940s or 1950s, why is it labeled first chronologically on this massive list? What am I missing?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:44 am
Hazman
Entrenched

Serum wrote:

Gotcha. So that footage from "Session" was taken in 1990? Also, what's this about the dog missing? They never said that, did they?

EDIT: No, wait, I don't get it-- I just watched "Session," it looks like it was filmed at the burned out hospital Tim stayed at, but before whatever happened there burned it down, but the footage is clearly from the 1940s or 1950s, why is it labeled first chronologically on this massive list? What am I missing?

It's labeled first as chronologically it was recorded first. We don't know when it was filmed, and unlikely to find out as it's not when it was filmed, but the message edited on top of it that matters in that video. It does mention Alex's dog going missing. The list is when the entry's were filmed, rather than released dates.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:07 am
Serum

Hazman wrote:
Serum wrote:

It's labeled first as chronologically it was recorded first. We don't know when it was filmed, and unlikely to find out as it's not when it was filmed, but the message edited on top of it that matters in that video. It does mention Alex's dog going missing. The list is when the entry's were filmed, rather than released dates.

But the one ToTheArk video was of footage from World War II, how does that predate what could easily be footage from the 50s or possibly 60s? And when do they mention Rusty the dog going missing?

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:09 am
Hazman
Entrenched

Serum wrote:
Hazman wrote:

But the one ToTheArk video was of footage from World War II, how does that predate what could easily be footage from the 50s or possibly 60s? And when do they mention Rusty the dog going missing?

What ToTheArk is from WWII? It says Rocky goes missing between entry 17 and entry 1 in the 2006 session of filming the videos.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:12 am
aidansean
Unfettered

Dog first, old footage second! In Entry #2 Alex mentions that he saw slendy as he took Rocky for a walk. Later on there's no sign of Rocky at Alex's house (even though he would have been a very good slender alarm.) In Entry #15 Tim mentions that dead animals appeared on Alex's lawn, and in season 2 totheark shows footage of a reanimated dog lung. Putting all that together I concluded that Alex's dog was killed by the operator at some point, and it must have happened after Entry #2 but before Entry #1.

The old footage is more tricky though. totheark does include footage from old movies, but it's safe to assume that whoever made those totheark videos just sat at home and ripped a DVD/downloaded some stock footage, so they didn't create anything new, and I used the video release date for it. For Session, I think there was some discussion that this might be footage of some of the characters' childhoods, so there's a chance that totheark actually filmed this and kept it until now. I didn't want to guess which year it happened in (I'm British, so I don't want to guess based on US fashion sense or what kinds of school buses they had or whatever) so I just put 1990, the first round number before enttry 37. But if we think it's just more recycled stock footage I'll put it back in the Season 3 era.

M1 = Marble Hornets Season 1, T2 = totheark Season 2 etc. This was written out in full in the first version, but it just looked cluttered.

Thanks for the feedback so far! For those who asked: this took a few hours to code up and a couple of hours for data entry, then about another hour shouting at Chrome/Firefox to be able to save the image. It was actually lots of fun! If I get time tonight I'll rearrange the 2006 videos into a reasonable order.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:28 am
Lithp
I Have No Life

That first paragraph seems rather presumptive.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:14 am
onetruepurple
Unfettered

Quote:
#12 coming before #2

THATS NOT WHAT HAPPENS FUCKS SAKE!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:50 am
ReverendJ
Unfettered

onetruepurple wrote:
Quote:
#12 coming before #2

THATS NOT WHAT HAPPENS FUCKS SAKE!
Could be.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:53 am
Page 1 of 9 [130 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 7, 8, 9 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Marble Hornets
Jump to: