Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

The Black Watchmen Game and Comic Book!

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Your continued support keeps uF running!

The time now is Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:06 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Old News & Rumors
[Trailhead] We Are Earthborne
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 129 [1931 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 127, 128, 129  Next
Korinthian
Decorated

[Trailhead] We Are Earthborne
Thanks for playing!! Post-Game Chat #2 Jan 10 @ 10PM EST! @ www.immersivefiction.com

I came home from work today on my lunch break; decided that spending money on fast food wasn't in the budget for once, today. Anyways, I had my lunch, did some redditing, then stepped out to head back to work. Soon as I opened my door, though, I found a fairly large package outside, and to my knowledge, I hadn't purchased anything recently that would have been delivered to my house.

Anyways, I picked up the package and tossed it inside my house, and gave it a quick once over just to see if it looked familiar, or if maybe it'd been something I bought when drunk. I've done it before. The only real markings on the box that I could see before leaving was the masthead of Yimmu Logistics. Never heard of them, didn't know why they would send me a package.

I wish I'd had time to open it, but I had to run back to work. I'm done with work in a few hours (well, depending on how it goes, anyways), and as soon as I get home, I'll be tearing it open.

And oh, I googled Yimmu Logistics on my phone while driving back to work and came up with nothing. Suspicious stuff like this usually ends up being a trailhead, but I didn't have time to dig into it like I wanted to.

More information when I get home later this afternoon.

Fingers crossed, I'm hoping it's a trailhead. Been so long since I've gotten one of those!

EDITING THIS IN FOR NEWCOMERS:

Korinthian wrote:
OK!

I just got back home from work and I haven't even changed yet - I absolutely had to figure out what was in the box, it was driving me bonkers. PICTURES ARE INCOMING, TOO.

So, here's the story: I received a package earlier today while on my lunch break. Didn't have time to really dive into it and figure out what the hell it was, otherwise I'd have been late getting back to the store. Now that I'm home, here we go. I'm going to post the pictures and kinda narrate them as we go.

Main Content So Far

The box itself is huge, and has some decent weight to it. Just by looking at the box, the only thing I can really pick out from it is the name of the company that sent it to me - or, rather, the name of the place that shipped it. Might be a parent company, might be just a shipping company. Regardless, in big branding, there's a logo for a company named Yimmu Logistics.

I began opening the box, wondering what the hell this could be. I've never heard of the company, and I didn't order anything (I checked my bank statements while at work - those drunken nights can end badly for my wallet some nights).

The thing is loaded with crumbled up paper bags and packing peanuts. I start digging through it, when I notice something in the center of the box..

I took the time to look through every piece of the paper bag stuffing. Nothing in any of them. I found a blue spot on it, but I think it's irrelevant. Here's me digging the little treasure chest in the middle out. As I move the packing stuff aside, I see what looks like a little wooden crate, and a tag attached the the twine wrapping the whole box in place.

Seafood? The wooden crate contains the masthead of a company, I'm assuming, called Koatoa Marine. Inside the box is a bunch of stuff held down with twine. From the looks of it, a pamphlet from the company, their "business" card, I'll call it (the tag on the twine), a 10Cr (Credit? Interesting that they use cr currency) coupon, and a hefty black book. Can't see the title yet.

The tag shows their logo, Koatoa Marine, "The Largest Exporter of Seafood in the Union". Union? Interesting. On the back of the card, it shows one of their products: Razorkan Fish, Canned, being sold at 3CR/can.

Everything unwrapped, let's start digging in.

First thing's first, I separated all the paper materials for closer inspection: the tag/business card, the pamphlet, and a tiny sliver of paper that was paper-clipped to the pamphlet.

The pamphlet is actually their invoice for the order. It seems this is my first time buying, and I spent a decent amount of credits. On 16 cans of Razorkan Fish and shipping, I apparently spent about 59CR. (48CR on fish, 11CR on shipping). The front of the pamphlet also suggests a location for their distribution center: Kariyo. Oceanus. (Addendum: I did not accidentally use a period instead of a comma there. That's how it's typed on their pamphlet. Kariyo. Oceanus)

Now, the coupon is somewhat interesting. It may mean nothing, but nothing ever means nothing to us ARGers, does it? The coupon is good for 10CR towards my next Koatoa Marine purchase. But let's look at the expiration date.. (Apologies, my phone does not have a macro setting, so close-ups of tiny text is hard.) Tiny text reads: "Koatoa Marine - Kariyo. Oceanus. Coupon expires 8/20/2277. This coupon is only redeemable at our physical locations."

Now here comes the book. Like I said, pretty hefty book. Solid leather, hardcover. Turns out, it's actually "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin. Lot of symbolism there, shipping out that kind of book. But why would a fish distributor be talking about evolution? Who knows. More importantly, why send me a book? I think it may be the key to a puzzle I found along with the package. That's coming soon. Here's the book.

Now, at the bottom of the crate, we have! -drum roll- ..Tuna cans? Empty tuna cans? Oh, pardon me - Razorkan cans. Empty ones, except for the packing peanuts.

Didn't think much of the cans. They pretty much all had the same labeling, but I only glanced over them. Going back to check momentarily after this post. But I did find something interesting BENEATH them.

Letters! Puzzles! Oh my! I haven't gotten around to figuring them out yet, but for textual reference: IDTENU <-- That is the exact order, left to right, that they were inside the crate.

Now here's something interesting... could be important. I think I know where it ties in. The bottoms of the cans with the taped letters on them all have a "Best used by:" date, as do the unmarked ones. But the ones with stickers seem to have different labeling, different ink, whatever you call it. It also seems like each letter is strategically placed to highlight, or block out, portions of the dates. Again, apologies for no macro setting.

I have an odd feeling that the numbers blocked off, or highlighted, may or may not have to do with the book that I received. Perhaps they're part of a Book Cipher?

Here are the unmarked ones. They, too, have different markings, but not as bizarre as the others.

End Shipped Content

WOW!

Well, that was possibly the most badass trailhead ever. And I say trailhead because, let's be honest, this isn't a real company. Now, time to start cracking down on it. Just wanted to get this update out!

Official Oceanus Wiki

UPDATE 3: Koatoa Marine - 8/31/2012

So, what we know of Koatoa Marine, Oceanus, Richard Kai, Akamu Hale, and Horizon thus far (for people who need to play catch-up):

- Koatoa Marine is the largest exporter of seafood in the Union (note: was the largest; they have since shut down production because Mr. Akamu Hale is trying to make a statement)
- The Union seems to contain 13 total planets (we think, in relation to the 13 founding Colonies.)
- The planets we know of so far:
  • Oceanus
  • Valkyrie
  • Centauri
  • Atlas

- One of the first off-planet ships to make the travel was the Discovery II
- Oceanus was the first planet we found out about; it's the base of operations for Koatoa Marine
- It's a different planet than ours.
- They've been colonized for the past 61 years (although, what year is this for them? Remember, the coupon expires 2277. I asked Kai how many lightyears apart our planets were, but he didn't say.)
- Earth may or may not be part of this Union of planets, as our currency does not reflect theirs; however, Richard Kai was confused when someone asked to pay in something other than credits. However, there also seems to be some political strife present, which may or may not be the result of our absence from the Union, as is reflected in the statement below.
- The above statement is made more apparent by the fact that Kai stated "we are unable" to visit Oceanus, and he, Earth. Terms between our planets are apparently not the best.
- They are the largest exporter of seafood, thus the planet is mostly aquatic (probably).
- They've been the lead for over 50 years, and they just celebrated their 61st, so the company itself came into existence roughly 11 years after Oceanus' colonization.
- Based on their watery planet, their names are more in reference to a Hawaiian culture.
- Earth's weeks and Oceanus' weeks seem to line up (in reference to their holiday weekend, and our regular weekend). Whatever time difference we have, it's rather exact, but still possibly years apart.
- The time lining up is made possible by solar shades that mimic the solar cycle we experience on Earth.
- Akamu Hale was not born on Earth, as we first assumed. He is a very old man, however, and he remembers most of what transpired during the "civil war" and the "revolution".
- As it turns out, Mr. Hale was responsible for the packages some of us received: the empty cans, the "united" message, the "Origin of Species" book, and the website to decode the message: "To those born from the Earth: we will be there in due time."
- Richard Kai kept alluding a political undertone to the above message.
- Akamu Hale shut down production of Koatoa Marine to send a political message, to make a stand for what he believes in (though, what he believes in, it's hard to really say at this point - we know he fights for Earth and its people, but over what strife, it's unclear.)
- Mr. Hale said, "I refuse to utilize the technology or resources of Horizon in a way that deepens their pockets. This company is my platform to make a statement, to prove to the entire Union that I’m willing to put it on the line to fight for what I believe in."
- Horizon is mentioned several times by Richard Kai and Akamu Hale.
- We are unsure of what Horizon is at this point; there are theories of it being another planet, but based on how Mr. Hale and Richard Kai speak of it, it sounds more like a governing body, something that polices the Union around. The other possible theory is that it's some kind of interplanetary dealer and supplier that gets a cut of all stellar business.
- Akamu Hale asked us if we could promise anonymity to his contact from Centauri, a man who, apparently, was willing to join Mr. Hale in his stand, and deliver insider information.
- The information from the insider turned out to be from a man named D. Jones, a member of the Union council, and Akamu Hale's insider. He provided information on Horizon, their listening station, the squashed rebellion in 2260, and other minor details.

UPDATE 4: HORIZON

Some of us just received an email with an attachment file recruiting us to work for Horizon on a planet called Atlas. See Attachment in Post

Small, rough timeline by Amandel
Quote:
Richard Kai said Oceanus was colonized in 2215. The Koatoa website originally said it has been colonized for 61 years. So it is 2276 (Coupon expires 8/20/2277). It's been 16 years since the revolution Akamu Hale mentioned had failed. Therefore, that revolution was in 2260.

Thanks for playing!
Credits & Ethan Tribute: We Are Earthborne
Company: Immersive Fiction

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:45 pm
Last edited by Korinthian on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 am; edited 16 times in total
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Akiva
Decorated

And you had to tell us before you opened the package? The suspense is going to kill me! It's already beating me with a Stroopwafel !!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:48 pm
Distraction
Entrenched

For giggles, I did some searching on Yimmu Logistics..and found zip. Count me in for waiting to see what is in the package.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:19 pm
krakmunky69
Veteran

Tease.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:00 pm
OhWhatProvidence
Entrenched

^^^ yes.

-waits-
Current project: QS#286, a novel about a quarantine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:06 pm
Korinthian
Decorated

Oh HOLY Shit

OK!

I just got back home from work and I haven't even changed yet - I absolutely had to figure out what was in the box, it was driving me bonkers. PICTURES ARE INCOMING, TOO.

So, here's the story: I received a package earlier today while on my lunch break. Didn't have time to really dive into it and figure out what the hell it was, otherwise I'd have been late getting back to the store. Now that I'm home, here we go. I'm going to post the pictures and kinda narrate them as we go.

Main Content So Far

The box itself is huge, and has some decent weight to it. Just by looking at the box, the only thing I can really pick out from it is the name of the company that sent it to me - or, rather, the name of the place that shipped it. Might be a parent company, might be just a shipping company. Regardless, in big branding, there's a logo for a company named Yimmu Logistics.

I began opening the box, wondering what the hell this could be. I've never heard of the company, and I didn't order anything (I checked my bank statements while at work - those drunken nights can end badly for my wallet some nights).

The thing is loaded with crumbled up paper bags and packing peanuts. I start digging through it, when I notice something in the center of the box..

I took the time to look through every piece of the paper bag stuffing. Nothing in any of them. I found a blue spot on it, but I think it's irrelevant. Here's me digging the little treasure chest in the middle out. As I move the packing stuff aside, I see what looks like a little wooden crate, and a tag attached the the twine wrapping the whole box in place.

Seafood? The wooden crate contains the masthead of a company, I'm assuming, called Koatoa Marine. Inside the box is a bunch of stuff held down with twine. From the looks of it, a pamphlet from the company, their "business" card, I'll call it (the tag on the twine), a 10Cr (Credit? Interesting that they use cr currency) coupon, and a hefty black book. Can't see the title yet.

The tag shows their logo, Koatoa Marine, "The Largest Exporter of Seafood in the Union". Union? Interesting. On the back of the card, it shows one of their products: Razorkan Fish, Canned, being sold at 3CR/can.

Everything unwrapped, let's start digging in.

First thing's first, I separated all the paper materials for closer inspection: the tag/business card, the pamphlet, and a tiny sliver of paper that was paper-clipped to the pamphlet.

The pamphlet is actually their invoice for the order. It seems this is my first time buying, and I spent a decent amount of credits. On 16 cans of Razorkan Fish and shipping, I apparently spent about 59CR. (48CR on fish, 11CR on shipping). The front of the pamphlet also suggests a location for their distribution center: Kariyo. Oceanus. (Addendum: I did not accidentally use a period instead of a comma there. That's how it's typed on their pamphlet. Kariyo. Oceanus)

Now, the coupon is somewhat interesting. It may mean nothing, but nothing ever means nothing to us ARGers, does it? The coupon is good for 10CR towards my next Koatoa Marine purchase. But let's look at the expiration date.. (Apologies, my phone does not have a macro setting, so close-ups of tiny text is hard.) Tiny text reads: "Koatoa Marine - Kariyo. Oceanus. Coupon expires 8/20/2277. This coupon is only redeemable at our physical locations."

Now here comes the book. Like I said, pretty hefty book. Solid leather, hardcover. Turns out, it's actually "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin. Lot of symbolism there, shipping out that kind of book. But why would a fish distributor be talking about evolution? Who knows. More importantly, why send me a book? I think it may be the key to a puzzle I found along with the package. That's coming soon. Here's the book.

Now, at the bottom of the crate, we have! -drum roll- ..Tuna cans? Empty tuna cans? Oh, pardon me - Razorkan cans. Empty ones, except for the packing peanuts.

Didn't think much of the cans. They pretty much all had the same labeling, but I only glanced over them. Going back to check momentarily after this post. But I did find something interesting BENEATH them.

Letters! Puzzles! Oh my! I haven't gotten around to figuring them out yet, but for textual reference: IDTENU <-- That is the exact order, left to right, that they were inside the crate.

Now here's something interesting... could be important. I think I know where it ties in. The bottoms of the cans with the taped letters on them all have a "Best used by:" date, as do the unmarked ones. But the ones with stickers seem to have different labeling, different ink, whatever you call it. It also seems like each letter is strategically placed to highlight, or block out, portions of the dates. Again, apologies for no macro setting.

I have an odd feeling that the numbers blocked off, or highlighted, may or may not have to do with the book that I received. Perhaps they're part of a Book Cipher?

Here are the unmarked ones. They, too, have different markings, but not as bizarre as the others.

End Shipped Content

WOW!

Well, that was possibly the most badass trailhead ever. And I say trailhead because, let's be honest, this isn't a real company. Now, time to start cracking down on it. Just wanted to get this update out!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:09 pm
Last edited by Korinthian on Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
krakmunky69
Veteran

found their website, the union is a group of planets apparently. oceanus being a water planet.

Spoiler (Rollover to View):
http://koatoamarine.com/

and their registration data
Domain Name: koatoamarine.com

Registrant Contact:
koatoamarine.com Private Registrant koatoamarine.comSPLATproxy.dreamhost.com
A Happy DreamHost Customer
417 Associated Rd #324
Brea, CA 92821
US
+1.2139471032

Administrative Contact:
417 Associated Rd #324
Brea, CA 92821
US
+1.2139471032

Technical Contact:
417 Associated Rd #324
Brea, CA 92821
US
+1.2139471032

Billing Contact:
417 Associated Rd #324
Brea, CA 92821
US
+1.2139471032

Record created on 2012-06-24 19:09:17.
Record expires on 2013-06-24 19:09:17.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:24 pm
LatentMoths
Unfettered

Well there's a website on your thank you letter/invoice. http://koatoamarine.com

There you can find an email address infoSPLATkoatoamarine.com. Let those emails fly.

http://twitter.com/LatentMoths

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:24 pm
Korinthian
Decorated

Exactly what I'm doing now. Emailing them about my order.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:29 pm
krakmunky69
Veteran

oh korinthian the address on the package in WV is a private residence, you might want to blur that or cut it out of the pics.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:32 pm
netsua98
Unfettered

Re: Oh HOLY Shit

Korinthian wrote:
OK!Well, that was possibly the most badass trailhead ever. And I say trailhead because, let's be honest, this isn't a real company. Now, time to start cracking down on it. Just wanted to get this update out!

Wow omg is there a return address also do you know of any group that has your location from the past maybe?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:37 pm
LatentMoths
Unfettered

Also the letters on the backs of the fish cans anagram to "united" or "untied"

http://twitter.com/LatentMoths

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:37 pm
Korinthian
Decorated

netsua98 wrote:
Korinthian wrote:
OK!Well, that was possibly the most badass trailhead ever. And I say trailhead because, let's be honest, this isn't a real company. Now, time to start cracking down on it. Just wanted to get this update out!

Wow omg is there a return address also do you know of any group that has your location from the past maybe?

The return address goes to a shipping store in the Midwest. I don't think it's relevant, as the address is real, the phone number is real, etc.

I keep flipping through the book to see if anything is in it, or highlighted, or something..

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:04 pm
netsua98
Unfettered

Korinthian wrote:
netsua98 wrote:
Korinthian wrote:

The return address goes to a shipping store in the Midwest. I don't think it's relevant, as the address is real, the phone number is real, etc.

I keep flipping through the book to see if anything is in it, or highlighted, or something..

My first thought just out of a thought check page 64 jw I have had luck with that one. Plus just wondering have you had any relationship with the press?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:17 pm
Pythagoras
Boot

LatentMoths wrote:
Also the letters on the backs of the fish cans anagram to "united" or "untied"

Wow guys, been a while since I posted in here, haha!

Anyways, I'm not sure how this all works anymore so I'll spoiler what I got.

Spoiler (Rollover to View):
Thinking that united would be the best option, I went to http://koatoamarine.com/united/ which popped up an image with the following on it:

219-34-4.5
442-5-2
251-21-7.8
172-14-7
87-25-8
87-25-4.5
442-38-2
198-5-7
198-6-7
195-4-1

Assuming this works for the book: page, line, word!

Good to be back lads and dames,
Yours truly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:51 pm
Page 1 of 129 [1931 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, ..., 127, 128, 129  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Old News & Rumors
Jump to: