Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Your continued support keeps uF running!

The time now is Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:00 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Slender Man Mythos
[LOCKED] Slender (beta v0.9.6)
Moderators: ChildOfAtom, Cougar Draven, DavFlamerock, Dixie_Wolf, ndemeter
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 41 of 42 [630 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
Cashkid32
Boot

JustJim wrote:
Anyone know if the map is at all randomized? I know there are a few different spawn point and pages are randomly spawned, but sometimes I feel like set pieces aren't in the same places they always are. Perhaps it's just my imagination.

It definitely changes. Even the bathroom/locker room/information centre and the crates move.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:23 am
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
JustJim
Unfettered

On top of a Giant Bomb article about it: http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/you-can-return-to-slender-man-s-forest-again/1100-4554/

IGN did a playthrough of the beta: http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/02/11/slender-the-arrival-beta-commentary

The IGN playthrough is interesting. Charles Onyett and Anthony Gallegos playing it (PC Team) and he goes through most o it with flashlight off unless absolutely necessary, and he disables the camera HUD. Never thought of playing that way, but it sure makes it more intense running through the woods in the dark.

Good to see this getting positive buzz already.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:21 am
Lithp
I Have No Life

Alright, just tried out the beta. There are few things that leap out to me:

1. Near as I can tell, there is no ability to set your own controls. This is disappointing to me, because I find the default to be somewhat awkward. When I played the original game, I would usually set it up so I could do all of the essential controls with my mouse.

2. Improved forest detail. Not just graphically, but also little things like random drop-offs and steep hills, which actually have effects on your movement. The park now has a name, and a map, on a bulletin board somewhere, but I think it might be one of those useless general overview maps.

3. I can't hardly do shit. Between the constant static & how jumpy my movements are, I can barely see anything. I've tried turning down graphic detail & mouse sensitivity. No dice.

4. The flashlight. Someone said you can turn it off, but I can't figure out how. It also seems strange that you have to hold a button to focus the beam, that seems like a setting you would adjust on a flashlight, & then re-adjust when you no longer want it.

5. Game causes moderate slowdown on my computer. It's not so bad that I have to wait 5 minutes to see what I just typed, but it does make it harder to react in the game.

6. Distortion is a lot better, which I found out by accidentally running almost right into Slenderman.

After that, my playthrough ended prematurely, because the game booted me back to the main menu when I was trying to leave the pause screen, for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:13 pm
AgentParsec
Veteran

We'll be patching a lot of stuff shortly. More of the features will be toggleable, such as motion blur (which is currently forced on, and is causing a lot of lag for some people). Customizable controls is coming, but it may not be ready until final release. Currently, you can turn the flashlight on and off with F. About the jumpy movements when there's static, the camera shakes more if you've been running a lot, so you have a steadier camera if you walk more, or at least rest between sprints. We'll make that a little more apparent, as well as tone down the shaking a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:51 pm
Lithp
I Have No Life

Hadn't been running. I think the jumpiness might be related to lag. Maybe mouse sensitivity, too.

I plan to cut my resolution in half the next time I play to see if that helps, like one guy said.

Anyway, that is all quite good to know. Honestly, my main concern is that I'll be too afraid to play the damn game.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:06 pm
perspicacious_loris
Decorated

As someone with a gaming computer, I can say that without lag, I can't find a problem with the game yet.

EDIT: Okay, I just played again, and got to 7 pages. As soon as I picked up the seventh page, there was no end to the distortion, and slendy started being much more aggressive. This is so much better than the original slender. I'm still a little shaky.

My series is TheHLFilms.
My current blog is: http://tomysecretadmirer.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:54 pm
AgentParsec
Veteran

We released the patch last night, just start the game to patch it. More graphical options are now able to be modified, including motion blur (which reduces lag greatly when turned off).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:43 pm
RandomH-bomb
Veteran

Played it again with the motion blur off and it's much smoother now. I'm still getting occasionally getting stuck on scenery in my more frantic moments, but I made it to 6 pages this time. I think that's a personal best.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:24 pm
Star Kindler
Veteran

Ahahaha... Finally beat the beta. Kept stalling out at seven pages. I would end up running around like the panicking little girl I am while Slendy perpetually taunted me with static. Calmed myself down enough to keep dodging him and find the eighth page.

I'm curious, is it just me, or. if your flashlight is off, can you pass closer to ol' Slendy without dying then with it on? Because I ran by him close enough to brush him at one point, but I figured maybe because my light was out my character didn't get a good enough look for an instant kill. Because Lord knows I thought I was dead.

Amazing beta. Everything is so much more detailed. I did notice that Slendy can do stuff like spawn inside the supports of the water tower and if he does, you can stand and look at him for as long as you like without producing static. Until he 'ports out and you panic. Really looking forward to the full game. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:36 am
JustJim
Unfettered

I'm getting a much better performance after the patch, thankfully. I've still yet to actually beat this. My record is 6 pages, but I can't get past that. I always wind up not finding the building or the tanks and shipping containers until about 4th or 5th, and those are always areas prone to encounters what with all the corners and breaks in line of sight. I've taken to playing with the flashlight off, since most page areas contain a light of some kind easy to spot in the distance. But it's a lot easier to get lost with a light off in the randomly generated environment.

By the way, how many point of interest are there vs. the 8 pages? Because I was playing earlier today and got to 3 points of interest in a row with no page. Let me try and work this out:

1. Information center
2. Tanks/storage containers
3. Map
4. Tent/campfire
5. Canoe/flare
6. Water tower
7. Watch tower
8. Car
9. SUV
10. Port-a-potty

That's 10 I can think of. Am I missing any?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:55 pm
itookthesquare
Boot

[VIDEOGAME] Slender: The Arrival Beta
Official Slenderman Game by MH/Parsec

[Not sure if anybody else posted a thread about it]

Anybody try it out? Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:33 pm
ChildOfAtomModerator
Unfictologist

Merged.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:53 pm
AxMxK
Unfettered

I've found that the best way to beat the Arrival (or at least produces the highest success rate) is very similar to the originals:

Simply work your way towards the Information Center, which is usually towards the center of the map and next to the rock formation (there is never a page on the rock formation). Follow the paths, and be as quick as you can, because the hunt will start if you take too long. You want to find a page there first because you never want to end up frantically looking for it there later on and get cornered. On your way there, make a mental note of pages tacked onto landmarks on the way there, (One on the canoe, the guardtower, etc.) If you can, also try to figure out where the Stockyard is, as it is also a dangerous place. Once you find the page at the Info Center, simply go back to the pages you made a note of. Circle around the map via the paths, try not cross through the center as you're liable to get lost.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:30 pm
Gold Knight
Unfettered

http://gamerfront.net/2013/02/interview-with-slender-the-arrival-writers/27293?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The MH crew talks a bit about their work on The Arrival.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:53 pm
Lithp
I Have No Life

That interview was as hilarious as it wasn't informative.

I recommend everyone watch it right now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:16 pm
Page 41 of 42 [630 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Slender Man Mythos
Jump to: