Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Got a jones for some uF swag?
Visit Ye Olde Tradin' Post!

The time now is Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:04 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Old News & Rumors
[TRAILHEAD] Exoplanetary Research Institute (XRI)
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]  
thebruce
Dances With Wikis

[TRAILHEAD] Exoplanetary Research Institute (XRI)

New launch, teased at ARGFest this year... I'm watching this one - I love sci-fi Smile

Visit http://Exoresearch.com - I haven't dug in enough to see if there are any outstanding items to lead further, but XRI's website is well fleshed out, lots to read, and the premise has promise! Wink

Exploring another planet? Yes please!

From the about page:

About XRI wrote:
The eXoplanetary Research Institute (XRI) was founded in 1998 with a mission to explore terrestrial bodies and seek out life beyond the confines of our own solar system. Thanks to the generous anonymous contributions from a private benefactor, XRI has since become a world leader in communications and propulsion technologies and now stands at the threshold of one of the greatest scientific expeditions of all time.

When we launched our flagship probe Interstellar I more than a decade ago, we were bound for Epsilon Eridani b, which was the closest known extrasolar planet at the time. Today, based on data we've gathered with our approaching probe, we know that the Epsilon Eridani solar system contains at least 6 planets. One of these planets lies in the "Goldilocks zone"—the region in which the planet's temperature will likely be just above the freezing point of water, making it a good candidate for supporting Earth-like life.

The idea to crowdsource the exploration of our destination planet was inspired, in part, by similar projects like NASA's MoonZoo or SETIQuest Explorer. With the recent cuts in the US space program, we saw increased opportunities for private foundations like XRI to fill the void. For the Extrasolar project, we're allowing an unprecedented level of access to the most ambitious space exploration project of our time.

You can join a mailing list to receive updates, but there are no job openings. [meta]really? for once a job listing page and no actual openings? heh[/meta] There's also a press inquiry contact.

Also also: Facebook and Twitter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:28 am
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Lystella
Unfettered

Here's the YouTube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/ExoResearch

Meta
Spoiler (Rollover to View):
From the IndieGames website:

Ready for some exciting news? We've got first dibs on the next game from Cogs developer Lazy 8 Studios, and it's looking pretty swish. The team has created a fake organisation and is looking for recruits to apply - welcome to the world of Extrasolar.

The idea is that players can joins an expedition on the surface of the planet Epsilon Eridani e, helping the eXoplanetary Research Institute - or XRI for short - to search the depths of the universe from the comfort of your web browser. Taking control of small robots, you can send over commands to check out the surroundings, gather informations on the alien species inhabiting the planet, and uncover the secrets of the far-out solar system.

It sounds like the content with be dynamic and ever-changing, as the solar system's sun (suns?) lights up different parts of the planet and the moons drift around their orbits. We're told that each player will have a personalized experience based on when they play, and where they roam.

The big mystery of the planet will slowly be unlocked, with the hope that players will become engrossed in the story and want to keep exploring to find the truth. Lazy 8's Rob Jagnow explained that Extrasolar is less a game, and more "an interactive narrative experience", with an emphasis on providing content that is as far from repetitive as possible.

The game will apparently be ready in several months time, although you can already sign up now as an applicant - I'd wager there will be some form of beta period before then. Check out the official XRI site for all the intriguing details.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:56 pm
duke9509
Entrenched

Ok, I've really been trying to be good and not join in on another time-eating ARG, but this one just looks too darn interesting.

Lurkety lurk lurk... Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:35 pm
thebruce
Dances With Wikis

lotsa meta...
for ref, the above meta info is from http://indiegames.com/2011/08/extrasolar_the_next_game_from_.html
based on the official press release at http://www.lazy8studios.com/2011/announcing_extrasolar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:46 pm
godder
Unfettered

Well, I signed up for updates. What space loving super geek like me wouldn't jump at the chance to control an "extrasolar" robotic rover?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:41 pm
tether
Decorated

This looks like it will be a blast. I always wanted to operate a space rover!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:09 pm
Buddha1419
Boot

Anybody else waiting on the confirmation e-mail to finish registering? I entered my name and e-mail on Monday figuring an e-mail would pop within 10 minutes or so. Still haven't received anything. Maybe they know how horrible I am at Asteroids...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:53 am
Lystella
Unfettered

Buddha1419 wrote:
Anybody else waiting on the confirmation e-mail to finish registering?

I registered last week and received a confirmation email.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:14 pm
codifier
Boot

I'm signing up! Time for a bit of hardcore sci-fi I hope. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:21 pm
si1verdrake
Boot

I'm definitely in on this one. Before taking a bit of a turn during undergrad, I was aiming to build unmanned probes for NASA. I'm liking the description and attention to detail so far. However, that same detail has me wondering exactly how they communicate with probes on an extrasolar planet 10 lightyears away. They mention a "proprietary communications technology"... wonder if that's going to be important, or if it's just the handwave to allow some suspension of disbelief.

This does seem like a nifty project, so I'll try to keep my engineering self on the "ooh, shiny!" side, rather than the "but wait, how would that even work?" side. I'm signed up for the mailing list.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:23 am
GuestUser17
Unfettered

The wait is over!

It looks like people are receiving invitations to pilot a rover. I have mine but am not on my PC at the moment. Can't wait to see where this goes!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:05 pm
docwho2100
Decorated

I received invite but it says already full - drat - anyone actually in? Wow - almost 2 years since this broke

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:26 am
docwho2100
Decorated

it seems someone posted another forum - http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39003

should these be merged?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:59 am
GuestUser17
Unfettered

Yes they should be merged.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:53 pm
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Old News & Rumors
Jump to: