Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Your continued support keeps uF running!

The time now is Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:32 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Marble Hornets
[OT] Info for Newcomers: DO NOT RESPOND TO FAKE ENTRIES
Moderators: Giskard, JKatkina, Zarggg
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 3 of 10 [138 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 8, 9, 10  Next
JKatkinaModerator
Entrenched

Yet again, I'm going to ask you guys to stop posting in fake entry threads. Particularly if you think you're being witty or hilarious. Just don't do it. Don't take the bait. Don't be a dick. Trolls happen, but you really, really don't have to play their game.

I'm also going to mention again that mods can't ban people, and add that policing new usernames is a little outside of my purview, personally, and kind of a ridiculous thing to expect. I bring up the names of trolls that happen to the appropriate authorities, but this is done behind the scenes and without giving them more public attention and notice -- given that acknowledgment and userbases all a-tizzy only ever encourage trolls to continue their bullshit. As a moderator I do what I can reasonably do.

We've had trolls in the past that reformed and even turned into excellent members of the community, even ones with totally trollish usernames. (I'm looking at you, WhyYouBawwing.) I agree that the majority are never going to come around, and even that a lot of these are probably the same guy just repeatedly coming back and whacking off in the same sad little way every time, but the policy is a judgment call and I don't think that the idea of offering second chances is a bad one, all told. This is a place where we can do that, after all, given that the internet is not, in fact, serious business. (I know, right?)

After all, the shit in this pool can't actually get on you and you can really easily choose to ignore the internet dicks that people wave in your face.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:15 am
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
DonMonte
Decorated

Quick question about that... if the troll who makes the fake entry thread makes a reply post in his/her own thread, can that thread be deleted, or does it have to be merged into the Fake Entry Compendium?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:19 am
JKatkinaModerator
Entrenched

DonMonte wrote:
Quick question about that... if the troll who makes the fake entry thread makes a reply post in his/her own thread, can that thread be deleted, or does it have to be merged into the Fake Entry Compendium?

I've posed that exact question to the powers that be and should get an answer in a bit. Hang tight.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:24 am
DonMonte
Decorated

Awesome, thanks. And just a heads up, there's another one already.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:41 am
guitar23
Boot

I suppose it was only a matter of time before they started replying to themselves... I'm surprised it took this long, honestly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:43 am
Nickjackal
Decorated

Hm. I suppose I do see the logic in that.

I mostly wrote that up because a new troll entry had just popped up. Truthfully I don't think it's going to decline any time soon. Not until the series ends, anyway.

I'm thinking that the trolls tend to do this more often than the SMM boards because we have more rules that aren't explicitly stated most of the time (reserving threads and whatnot, which I'm considering making another topic for if people wish.)

Trolls are everywhere though, and it's like someone said. Ban one and two more will take its place.

I do thank you for continuing to clean the bad topics up. I figure you'll have more problems with that now that one of them's actually become fractionally intelligent and found a way to keep the topic up for a little longer.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:48 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ICEAL3X
Boot

To bring up another topic related to the trollers of this community, I am curious to hear anyone's opinion about the recent placeholder threads being used. Someone just posted a thread for entry 58, naming it as such and calling it a placeholder thread for when it comes out. As far as these placeholder threads have gone up in the past(considering there is only 2 of them that have actually been used so far) I think it's not too bad of an idea. besides this one, the place holder thread mas made about 12 to 14 hours, or even less, before the entry itself is made. There is more or less three theories:
1. that it is made by either someone a part of MH and they are posting it just to raise the hype(doubtful)

2.that someone more or less tried to estimate the time between entry postings and used that estimate to make the thread soon before the new entry to stimulate conversation in a new thread...instead of reading 40 pages from the last entry to catch up and speculate about the new one(entirely possible)

3. That trolls are posting these just to get a rise but end up being the real thread anyway out of coincidence that the new entry did show up sooner rather than later.

The last one kind of worries me because it would suck if we had the next 10 entries on placeholder threads never posted in, or trolled upon, and move to the bottom of the list of threads, then either new one must be made, or, someone has to find the old one and post in it to bring it back up again. While that possibility is a little concerning, I like the idea of being able to discuss possible outcomes of entries, and things relating to a new entry, in a new thread...instead of having to post in the previous entry thread which by now is about 45 pages long, or more. thoughts on this anyone?

Side Note: I know this started as a more specific thread regarding the trolls and fake entry threads, but I like the idea of discussing troll-related subjects up here because new people can get an idea of what trolls are like and we can talk about other subjects pertaining to trollers without making more threads about each new topic.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:31 am
Nickjackal
Decorated

ICEAL3X wrote:
To bring up another topic related to the trollers of this community, I am curious to hear anyone's opinion about the recent placeholder threads being used. Someone just posted a thread for entry 58, naming it as such and calling it a placeholder thread for when it comes out. As far as these placeholder threads have gone up in the past(considering there is only 2 of them that have actually been used so far) I think it's not too bad of an idea. besides this one, the place holder thread mas made about 12 to 14 hours, or even less, before the entry itself is made. There is more or less three theories:
1. that it is made by either someone a part of MH and they are posting it just to raise the hype(doubtful)

2.that someone more or less tried to estimate the time between entry postings and used that estimate to make the thread soon before the new entry to stimulate conversation in a new thread...instead of reading 40 pages from the last entry to catch up and speculate about the new one(entirely possible)

3. That trolls are posting these just to get a rise but end up being the real thread anyway out of coincidence that the new entry did show up sooner rather than later.

The last one kind of worries me because it would suck if we had the next 10 entries on placeholder threads never posted in, or trolled upon, and move to the bottom of the list of threads, then either new one must be made, or, someone has to find the old one and post in it to bring it back up again. While that possibility is a little concerning, I like the idea of being able to discuss possible outcomes of entries, and things relating to a new entry, in a new thread...instead of having to post in the previous entry thread which by now is about 45 pages long, or more. thoughts on this anyone?

Side Note: I know this started as a more specific thread regarding the trolls and fake entry threads, but I like the idea of discussing troll-related subjects up here because new people can get an idea of what trolls are like and we can talk about other subjects pertaining to trollers without making more threads about each new topic.

I seriously think the 58 one is just a troll trying to get a rise out of people considering that an hour or two before our new friend ChrisAnal posted a false thread for 46, then responded to it so it couldn't be deleted, as well as the fact that it's this fellow's only post so far. Tonight's been bad about troll threads.

No one is responding to it which is a good sign. Hopefully it can be moved to the compendium soon.

I dislike the idea of placeholder threads due to the fact that they tend to irritate people and I've had to wade through three pages of complaints the last few times, plus it's mostly just someone's selfish bid to create the thread, when that doesn't give anyone any forum cred at all. It makes people pissed. It may seem odd, but it's relatable to those irritating trends on sites where news articles or famous blogs are posted, and some dicknuts comes in and goes " FIRST [B "like it was a race or something.

But I do have an idea: People could make a speculation thread a day or so before, when the entry's hinted at, and speculate ideas as to what the Entry or TTA entry might be about, then once the entry goes up, someone can make that thread separately. It's a theory, but it might cut down on placeholder threads. Plus it might be fun to speculate so we won't clutter up the twitter thread.

Tl:Dr :
The 58 topic's in all likelihood a troll.
Placeholder threads aren't necessary.
Speculation threads for upcoming entries, Yea or Nea?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:55 am
slendywasphone
Unfettered

Nickjackal wrote:
ICEAL3X wrote:

I seriously think the 58 one is just a troll trying to get a rise out of people considering that an hour or two before our new friend ChrisAnal posted a false thread for 46, then responded to it so it couldn't be deleted, as well as the fact that it's this fellow's only post so far. Tonight's been bad about troll threads.

No one is responding to it which is a good sign. Hopefully it can be moved to the compendium soon.

I dislike the idea of placeholder threads due to the fact that they tend to irritate people and I've had to wade through three pages of complaints the last few times, plus it's mostly just someone's selfish bid to create the thread, when that doesn't give anyone any forum cred at all. It makes people pissed. It may seem odd, but it's relatable to those irritating trends on sites where news articles or famous blogs are posted, and some dicknuts comes in and goes " FIRST [B "like it was a race or something.

But I do have an idea: People could make a speculation thread a day or so before, when the entry's hinted at, and speculate ideas as to what the Entry or TTA entry might be about, then once the entry goes up, someone can make that thread separately. It's a theory, but it might cut down on placeholder threads. Plus it might be fun to speculate so we won't clutter up the twitter thread.

Tl:Dr :
The 58 topic's in all likelihood a troll.
Placeholder threads aren't necessary.
Speculation threads for upcoming entries, Yea or Nea?

Nay. They aren't needed

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:31 am
Deimos
Unfettered

I too say nay. The official discussion thread is more then appropriate for upcoming spec.

Interplosionary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:08 am
JKatkinaModerator
Entrenched

It's always been my stance that the Official Discussion thread is sorely underused. It'd be perfect for pre-entry spec, and in fact that's exactly the kind of thing it was used for in season 1.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:08 am
Nickjackal
Decorated

Ah, understandable. I've noticed activity slacking off in it too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:03 am
punxtr
Die Hard Try Hard

Latest fake entry: http://forums.unfiction.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32903

Seems to be by the same person.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:50 am
ZargggModerator
Unfictologist

It might be time for the admins to revisit the "no deleting threads with any replies" policy, because the trolls are now using this to their advantage.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:57 am
konamouse
Official uF Dietitian

Don't feed the trolls. They live off attention.
If you ignore them they go somewhere else to play.

The fact that they have to answer their own threads shows that it's working, if you guys keep ignoring them, they eventually find another sandbox to throw their little tantrums.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:15 am
Page 3 of 10 [138 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 8, 9, 10  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Marble Hornets
Jump to: