Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 
 
Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Having Trouble with the Boards?
Ask in the General Forum
or email unforum /at/ unfiction.com
 
The time now is Sat May 27, 2017 7:04 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Marble Hornets
[OT] Info for Newcomers: DO NOT RESPOND TO FAKE ENTRIES
Moderators: Giskard, JKatkina, Zarggg
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 8 of 10 [138 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
SecretPerson
Entrenched


Joined: 27 Jul 2011
Posts: 1020
Location: Nowhere

Wow, all of this fuss over one troll.
_________________
zxbvfgnsfgdkajghjaduifgjiognusifgjmadivf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:33 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Cougar Draven
Entrenched


Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Posts: 1177
Location: Potentially everywhere.

awakeasaurusrex wrote:
SpaceBass wrote:
Your reading comprehension skills are...lacking.
Well, do enlighten me on where I'm going wrong.

I notice you completely ignore the point that the mods in this subforum have told us to our faces that they can't delete threads with replies in because it's against policy. Mind addressing that?


It's officially against policy to delete spam threads with replies, for the same reason it's against policy to delete non-spam single posts in threads, even when requested to do so by members: it mucks up the archives.

Happy now?

awakeasaurusrex wrote:
SpaceBass wrote:
awakeasaurusrex: My offer still stands; you want to start your own forum somewhere, I'll help out however I can. I'm sure the fucks you give will be much more effective than mine.

"Guh buh let's see you do better" really isn't an effective defence against people pointing out your own inadequacies. I don't have to be a master chef to know that the kitchen's serving me shit in a sandwich, and I don't have to own and operate my own forum to know when a forum's fucking up.


No, but it sure helps a fuckton. And really, if a restaurant is serving you shit in a sandwich (which is an analogy far out of true with the actual situation, thank you very much), you don't stand there and berate the management until the cows come home. Or, at least, you don't if you're not a jackass who feels entitled. You take your business elsewhere. And before you get high and mighty, am I suggesting you take your ball and go home? No. I'm suggesting you get off your high horse for now and let the mods and administrators deal with this the best they can.

awakeasaurusrex wrote:
EDIT: By the way, SB, I'm curious... do you actually want the MH/Slender Man Mythos forums here? Because the way you're talking it sounds like you'd love to jettison the lot of us.


Maybe if you didn't relentlessly poke at the forum administrator, he'd be nicer to you.
_________________
Currently playing: MH, EMH, The Master Theorem
Moderating: Slender Man Mythos, The Master Theorem
Writing: ???
Picture that. In your dreams.


PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:29 am
 View user's profile Send private message
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
awakeasaurusrex
Entrenched


Joined: 12 Oct 2010
Posts: 1099

JKatkina wrote:
Considering that this forum has had abysmal luck with mods, I think it's important that you guys, as the active userbase, develop some sort of self-regulatory system for when shit like trolls happen.
Uh... but if this subforum ends up with no active mods, it won't matter whether or not we reply to troll threads. One troll could disrupt the entire forum just by posting a swathe of threads themselves and with no active mods to delete the threads there'd be no stopping them.

I think the mods and admins on this site wildly overestimate the ability of normal forum posters to regulate themselves when the regulation of a forum necessarily requires powers over and above those that normal posters possess. If it's a problem of a lack of mods, then more mods should be appointed. Simple as that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:53 am
 View user's profile Send private message
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Cougar Draven
Entrenched


Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Posts: 1177
Location: Potentially everywhere.

awakeasaurusrex wrote:
I think the mods and admins on this site wildly overestimate the ability of normal forum posters to regulate themselves when the regulation of a forum necessarily requires powers over and above those that normal posters possess. If it's a problem of a lack of mods, then more mods should be appointed. Simple as that.


You say that like it's the fault of the staff that you lot can't regulate yourselves.
_________________
Currently playing: MH, EMH, The Master Theorem
Moderating: Slender Man Mythos, The Master Theorem
Writing: ???
Picture that. In your dreams.


PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:07 am
 View user's profile Send private message
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Nickjackal
Decorated


Joined: 21 Mar 2011
Posts: 156
Location: All around the mulberry bush, TN

And now for the part where I once again throw my two cents in. It may not matter much in the end, but right now I don't give that much of a damn at the moment. If it makes the admins mad, I don't care right now. I have a right to my opinion just as awakeasaurus and any other member of this board does that is pissed off about "Board Policy".

I have tried to support SpaceBass's viewpoint on this. I've tried ignoring the threads, and recently we, as a board, have been getting better at it. There's occasionally someone that wanders in expecting an answer for the troll's behavior but there's not alot we can do there. And that's something that I'm personally proud of. We may disagree on certain points--I mean, look at the pages of arguing from past entry threads--but we ALL agree that this is a problem.

But it isn't enough. It isn't enough to simply ignore them. We have tried. The trolls are still there.

And you know that bullshit analogy that they feed you in school? "If you ignore a bully they'll go away"? Yeah, that doesn't work. That's something that teachers use when they don't actually want to do anything to stop the bullying. I tried ignoring my bullies from school, and you can ask the old scars on my body and the manic depression how well that worked. The only thing the teachers did was put both the bully and the bullied in a corner and then sit and make jokes about "The fucking crybabies" when they think we're out of earshot, which I'm seeing alot of here, and which solves NOTHING.

But right now, after reading the last two pages, I support Awakeasaurus. I support Rando and Cleavuz, who as of one of the last troll threads, actually left. Why I bring Cleavuz of all people up will be elaborated on at the end of this big wall of mad.

SpaceBass, this may not mean a whole lot, but, your "too harsh?" post made me lose respect for you. Yes, you run the site. Yes, you pay for it. Yes, you're entitled to your life offline. But when it appears that you or the other admins are neglecting the upkeep of one of the forums, then there's a problem.

I mean, I don't see this problem on the Slender Man Mythos board. I haven't seen it on the News & Rumors board, haven't seen it on any other board other than this one, which makes me think: " Do they not have this problem on other boards, or do they actually deal with them in a timely fashion on the other boards?".

If it's the latter, then how much does that say about what the admins think of the MH board?

As of right now, the only person in any position of power on this board that I have respect for is JKatkina because she gets things done. She might not have banned anyone from the troll threads or actually deleted them, but at least she made the Fake Entry Compendium. She did it without saying "Oh here, you big babies" or "Here, now stop whining" and she did it without asking for money first. She did it because she saw a problem and reacted to it. Small thing to do but it speaks volumes to her character in comparison what else I've seen on this topic and on this board.

And you know the funny thing? I was actually thinking of donating to Unfiction before this. I actually was thinking of giving my money which I have to scrape for right now, to this site which I enjoy coming to every day.

But after seeing what who I'm giving it to does and says when the members of HIS FORUM ask for him to fix a SIMPLE problem, and even going so far as to insult a member of the board who is bringing up more and more good points in retaliation to what you're saying, I don't think I will.

I know this probably doesn't mean shit in the long haul. I mean, Marble Hornets will go on, and there are other forums to post on. Ones that don't have this sort of problem because their administrators actually give a fuck about what their users think and actually deal with a troll when one pops up.

So I think I'll go there instead.

Because like I brought up a few pages back, you are practically opening your arms to these idiots who make the same troll topic over and over and over and over and over again, without being punished, in some expectation that they will eventually go away--or even less likely--become productive members of the site.

I'll still watch this place. I'll still look at the entry and twitter topics, read over theories and find which ones are the most agreeable to me personally. But I'm not gonna post here.

There's an old adage. "Love it or leave it". Well, right now, I can't love this place. If things change, I'll be back. But only if.

So for now, I'm leaving.



Viva La Revolución.
_________________
Person in a capacity of something over at Interplosion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:24 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
awakeasaurusrex
Entrenched


Joined: 12 Oct 2010
Posts: 1099

Cougar Draven wrote:
awakeasaurusrex wrote:
I think the mods and admins on this site wildly overestimate the ability of normal forum posters to regulate themselves when the regulation of a forum necessarily requires powers over and above those that normal posters possess. If it's a problem of a lack of mods, then more mods should be appointed. Simple as that.


You say that like it's the fault of the staff that you lot can't regulate yourselves.
So, how do I go about deleting a troll thread when I'm not a mod? Answer: I can't. I can ignore it, but if a troll decides to just bombard the board with new threads so all the good, constructive discussions get shoved off the front page, that's an issue which the rank-and-file users simply aren't empowered to deal with.

EDIT TO ADD: Because I just had to respond to this because wow:

Quote:
No, but it sure helps a fuckton. And really, if a restaurant is serving you shit in a sandwich (which is an analogy far out of true with the actual situation, thank you very much), you don't stand there and berate the management until the cows come home. Or, at least, you don't if you're not a jackass who feels entitled. You take your business elsewhere.

Maybe if you're happy with being shafted, and don't care that other people are going to be shafted after you. Me, I'll make it perfectly clear what the restaurant's done, demand my money back because they've sold me a completely unacceptable product, and probably report them to the authorities on top of that.

At this point the analogy's moved away from being even tangentially relevant to the subject at hand, but Christ, you'd really just walk away and leave the managers standing there holding your money? For serious?

EDIT AGAIN: Because this really needs calling out too.

Cougar Draven wrote:
It's officially against policy to delete spam threads with replies, for the same reason it's against policy to delete non-spam single posts in threads, even when requested to do so by members: it mucks up the archives.

How, pray tell, does preserving useless, content-free troll threads in the archives make them better? Surely removing shit which isn't worth archiving from them makes them less messed up, not more?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:50 am
 View user's profile Send private message
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Cougar Draven
Entrenched


Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Posts: 1177
Location: Potentially everywhere.

awakeasaurusrex wrote:
Cougar Draven wrote:
awakeasaurusrex wrote:
I think the mods and admins on this site wildly overestimate the ability of normal forum posters to regulate themselves when the regulation of a forum necessarily requires powers over and above those that normal posters possess. If it's a problem of a lack of mods, then more mods should be appointed. Simple as that.


You say that like it's the fault of the staff that you lot can't regulate yourselves.
So, how do I go about deleting a troll thread when I'm not a mod? Answer: I can't. I can ignore it, but if a troll decides to just bombard the board with new threads so all the good, constructive discussions get shoved off the front page, that's an issue which the rank-and-file users simply aren't empowered to deal with.


Then make the good, constructive discussions more active so they stay up top. Make the trolls work to keep whatever advantage they think they have. And most of all, be constructive yourself, instead of just complaining all the damn time. Again, maybe if you put more effort into adding to the forum than you do detracting from moderators that are doing what they can, this problem wouldn't be so bad.

Also, for the life of me I can't find a single troll and/or spam thread on the front page. So your alarmist rhetoric is kind of pointless right now.

awakeasaurusrex wrote:
EDIT TO ADD: Because I just had to respond to this because wow:

Quote:
No, but it sure helps a fuckton. And really, if a restaurant is serving you shit in a sandwich (which is an analogy far out of true with the actual situation, thank you very much), you don't stand there and berate the management until the cows come home. Or, at least, you don't if you're not a jackass who feels entitled. You take your business elsewhere.

Maybe if you're happy with being shafted, and don't care that other people are going to be shafted after you. Me, I'll make it perfectly clear what the restaurant's done, demand my money back because they've sold me a completely unacceptable product, and probably report them to the authorities on top of that.

At this point the analogy's moved away from being even tangentially relevant to the subject at hand, but Christ, you'd really just walk away and leave the managers standing there holding your money? For serious?


I don't think it's moving away at all. and I'm presuming that in most restaurants you don't pay until and unless you're satisfied. If you get served something unacceptable, at most you call over floor management and say it's not acceptable, and then take your business elsewhere without paying.

awakeasaurusrex wrote:
EDIT AGAIN: Because this really needs calling out too.

Cougar Draven wrote:
It's officially against policy to delete spam threads with replies, for the same reason it's against policy to delete non-spam single posts in threads, even when requested to do so by members: it mucks up the archives.

How, pray tell, does preserving useless, content-free troll threads in the archives make them better? Surely removing shit which isn't worth archiving from them makes them less messed up, not more?


Preserving content-free threads, after they've been merged into one large thread, helps the administration pick out individual rule-breaking posts that will help them decide whether or not to block the account.

Also, you didn't "just [have] to respond" to anything I've said. It was your choice. And perhaps I'm just involved in this because, as a moderator on Unfiction, I feel attacked and denigrated by your complaints. But you could choose to walk away at any time.

But you haven't.
_________________
Currently playing: MH, EMH, The Master Theorem
Moderating: Slender Man Mythos, The Master Theorem
Writing: ???
Picture that. In your dreams.


PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:59 am
 View user's profile Send private message
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
JKatkinaModerator
Entrenched


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 825
Location: Calgary, AB

awakeasaurusrex wrote:
Uh... but if this subforum ends up with no active mods, it won't matter whether or not we reply to troll threads. One troll could disrupt the entire forum just by posting a swathe of threads themselves and with no active mods to delete the threads there'd be no stopping them.

I think the mods and admins on this site wildly overestimate the ability of normal forum posters to regulate themselves when the regulation of a forum necessarily requires powers over and above those that normal posters possess. If it's a problem of a lack of mods, then more mods should be appointed. Simple as that.

Great in theory, but do you remember how long it took for that to happen last time? I do. Should it come to that, you'll need something in the meantime that isn't total fucking anarchy.

I am perfectly willing to do what's needed if it ends up really being the only option. I am happy to change my tactics and start straight-out deleting fake entry threads... IF at some point down the line it becomes really clear to me that this forum is full of people that lack any sort of self-control or social responsibility. I don't believe that's the case, and I think you're seriously underestimating yourself and your peers.

What I am trying here is some leadership and the establishment of some simple social norms, such as "don't feed the trolls", and to that end there has been progress. If we make it socially unacceptable to reply to troll threads, people will eventually stop. Sure, people might bitch about their inboxes getting full of "DON'T POST IN TROLL THREADS" messages, but odds are 10 to 1 that they'll stop posting in troll threads, too. That's one big step in the right direction.

The other thing I am doing is working with what I've been given. If this were my forum, I'd run it differently, but it's not, and them's the breaks. I prefer to respect the rules of the land when I can. It's pretty clear debating on the matter isn't really going to end with policy changing, so it makes perfect sense to try another solution in the meantime.

Nickjackal wrote:
There's an old adage. "Love it or leave it". Well, right now, I can't love this place. If things change, I'll be back. But only if.

Nickjackal... I wish you wouldn't. I understand why you are, but it saddens me to see such a solid member of the community forced out over something like this. We need good, solid people around here to keep this place heading the right direction... and you will be missed.

CougarDraven wrote:
Also, for the life of me I can't find a single troll and/or spam thread on the front page. So your alarmist rhetoric is kind of pointless right now.

I'm going to point out here that that is because I've been dealing with them. There would be a steady spattering if I hadn't been actively tagging and merging them. It is a problem, and a frequent one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:34 am
 View user's profile Send private message
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Tao
Veteran


Joined: 16 May 2011
Posts: 122
Location: The MOON!

All I'm going to say is that I feel like I helped to make one hell of a mess here, but the topic was going to be brought up eventually.

Regardless of "register" date, in reality I've been coming to this forum for years. In fact, ever since I was 17 and ChasingTheWish was an ARG being played here. Since then I've become a respected member of the ARG community, having assisted in plot ideas for a couple popular ARGs, and indeed speaking to the NPR about your very forum, the respect I have for it and the unspeakable genius/hilarity that goes on here...

SpaceBass, out of the so-called goodness of your heart, you've opened and maintained this place for people who are interested in in the Alternate Gaming Community, which I'm sure, stemmed from a passion of your own. Now, what? You seem disappointed with the state of your creation. Money seems to play a large factor in that, but there appears to be a general lack of respect for the people in your forum who are attempting to keep things neat and tidy not for our own benefit, but for yours.

After all, I'm lead to believe that junk on the boards leads to more bandwidth usage. One troll may not do much, but several can become bulky. Does that not cost you resources? I didn't mention this for any other reason but for MODS to give consideration to the fact that this may be an area you need to rethink. Not to save myself any frustration... I hardly notice the damn things anymore. I mention it knowing that it's not just an issue in this thread alone.

But, for you to act unprofessionally/cruelly toward people that you don't know, for opinions that are different than yours, which you claim superiority over, is not only unfair - it's dictatorship.

Until change, you'll find that I've taken very much the same route as NickJackal; I'll have to leave.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:43 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
awakeasaurusrex
Entrenched


Joined: 12 Oct 2010
Posts: 1099

Cougar Draven wrote:
awakeasaurusrex wrote:
So, how do I go about deleting a troll thread when I'm not a mod? Answer: I can't. I can ignore it, but if a troll decides to just bombard the board with new threads so all the good, constructive discussions get shoved off the front page, that's an issue which the rank-and-file users simply aren't empowered to deal with.


Then make the good, constructive discussions more active so they stay up top. Make the trolls work to keep whatever advantage they think they have.
Crucial difference: a troll can keep generating junk posts without putting any thought into them. When we make good, constructive posts we actually have to think about it. So on that basis, any individual troll can generate junk at a far greater pace than we can keep decent discussions going - and that's before you even get to people using scripts.

Quote:
And most of all, be constructive yourself, instead of just complaining all the damn time. Again, maybe if you put more effort into adding to the forum than you do detracting from moderators that are doing what they can, this problem wouldn't be so bad.

Have you checked my post history? Until recently I've been extremely constructive. That's changed. Why's it changed? Because the atmosphere on here has become completely poisoned. The trolls are only partially to blame; the abdication of responsibility from the admins and mods is what's got me really pissed off.

Seriously, I've got hundreds of posts on this forum and only a fraction of them are complaining about you. But hey, keep making grossly inaccurate accusations about my participation on the forum and who knows, maybe the complaint posts will catch up.

Quote:
Also, for the life of me I can't find a single troll and/or spam thread on the front page. So your alarmist rhetoric is kind of pointless right now.

A single troll with the right tools could devastate the front page at any moment in the current situation. I'm just warning you of this now so that you can't turn around to say "But we didn't know!" if and when it does happen.

Quote:
Also, you didn't "just [have] to respond" to anything I've said. It was your choice. And perhaps I'm just involved in this because, as a moderator on Unfiction, I feel attacked and denigrated by your complaints.
That's interesting, because as a user on Unfiction I feel neglected and abandoned by the mass refusal of the mods to take any sort of attempt to keep the Marble Hornets forum in order, and attacked and denigrated by you and SpaceBass specifically for your high-handed, arrogant, "we know best", "the customer/user is always wrong", buck-passing, blame-shifting, head-in-the-sand attitudes.

Who's to blame for the MH forum being spammed by trolls? Apparently the users! Who's to blame for a chunk of the user base getting pissed off by their complaints and concerns being chucked in the bin by the admin team? Apparently it's also the users? When are you guys going to take responsibility for something that goes wrong around here? Apparently never.

If you don't like my tone, that'll be something to do with the fact that you and your boss rode in here with a dismissive, insulting tone yourselves. You are the ones who made this discussion get nasty, not me.

I could, as you point out, have walked away at any time. But then I'd have capitulated and let you off the hook, and I can't do that. You guys have screwed up and you need someone willing to tell it to you straight that you have, in fact, screwed up. And since a good many other reasonable people who would otherwise have done a great job of it have actually left this forum because of your dismissive and arrogant response to this situation, I guess it's going to have to be me.[/i]

JKatkina wrote:
What I am trying here is some leadership and the establishment of some simple social norms, such as "don't feed the trolls", and to that end there has been progress. If we make it socially unacceptable to reply to troll threads, people will eventually stop. Sure, people might bitch about their inboxes getting full of "DON'T POST IN TROLL THREADS" messages, but odds are 10 to 1 that they'll stop posting in troll threads, too. That's one big step in the right direction.

Given that the trolls have now realised that they can quite happily feed themselves, the "Don't post in troll threads" rule is now so completely redundant, meaningless, and ineffectual that I'm absolutely flabbergasted that you're still raising it. Since you've now been told directly that it's OK for you to merge, lock, or delete troll threads even if there is a reply or two in there from a regular user, all the "Don't post in troll threads" rule achieves is getting self-appointed deputies to bombard other forum users - often innocent newbies - with PMs, some of which apparently got quite heated.

Good job getting the users to turn on each other there, mods. Really. The troll or trolls must be ecstatic at this development.

Quote:
The other thing I am doing is working with what I've been given. If this were my forum, I'd run it differently, but it's not, and them's the breaks. I prefer to respect the rules of the land when I can. It's pretty clear debating on the matter isn't really going to end with policy changing, so it makes perfect sense to try another solution in the meantime.

Well, if a coup d'etat were in the offing I'd be willing to support it.

No, seriously: if someone with a sensible attitude to administration and moderation were given control of this site and the current bosses resigned, I'd donate immediately.

Quote:
I'm going to point out here that that is because I've been dealing with them. There would be a steady spattering if I hadn't been actively tagging and merging them. It is a problem, and a frequent one.

Which means that it's imperative that the administration take moderation of this place seriously ASAP. If you're not able to moderate the MH forum because of IRL time constraints, more moderators are needed. If there isn't someone in the subforum community who has the time or skills necessary to do it, one of the other UF mods needs to come in and actually do it. Might not be the most exciting thing in the world, moderating a subforum concerning topics you aren't interested in, but it is part of the deal when you're moderating a large forum like this.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:53 am
 View user's profile Send private message
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
JKatkinaModerator
Entrenched


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 825
Location: Calgary, AB

awakeasaurusrex wrote:
Given that the trolls have now realised that they can quite happily feed themselves, the "Don't post in troll threads" rule is now so completely redundant, meaningless, and ineffectual that I'm absolutely flabbergasted that you're still raising it. Since you've now been told directly that it's OK for you to merge, lock, or delete troll threads even if there is a reply or two in there from a regular user, all the "Don't post in troll threads" rule achieves is getting self-appointed deputies to bombard other forum users - often innocent newbies - with PMs, some of which apparently got quite heated.

There isn't a troll problem visible on the front page, because I've been dealing with them.

"Don't feed the trolls" is always good advice and in this case is primarily intended to keep you guys from drowning in self-bumped troll threads before I can get back to uF and merge the fuckers. It takes the trolls way less effort if they can get you guys to bump their shitty threads for them, and while more effort doesn't always mean that the trolls will jump ship, it might help stymie the problem for those times when I can't hop on within five minutes of a thread being posted and deal with it.

It makes no sense that you're jumping down my throat for trying to effect social change on this board for the positive, particularly when I'm still dealing with the issue at hand to the point where the casual observer can't tell there's a problem. I've been locking and merging troll threads with human responses for months. The fact that you somehow have failed to notice that actually makes me rather proud that I have apparently gotten to every one of them before you even noticed the threads were responded to.

I will repeat here that I won't start deleting threads unless the issue of troll threads somehow escalates from here. I prefer to follow the rules of the board when I reasonably can. You might not like it. That's okay.

awakeasaurusrex wrote:
Good job getting the users to turn on each other there, mods. Really. The troll or trolls must be ecstatic at this development.

Innocent newbies learn. If there's an issue with the tone of the messages being sent, I'm more than happy to address that. This strategy is working and I'm not willing to abandon it so quickly.

People were already at each others' throats over the troll B.S.; they just did it in public before instead of in private. At least if it's in private the trolls don't get to see it!

Also, don't get all pluralized "mods" up in there. This was my idea and my implementation, and I'll take the heat for it myself if there's something that needs changing.

awakeasaurusrex wrote:
Well, if a coup d'etat were in the offing I'd be willing to support it.

No, seriously: if someone with a sensible attitude to administration and moderation were given control of this site and the current bosses resigned, I'd donate immediately.

I'm not really interested in some coup d'etat myself. It might be the only way to effect policy change, but I don't have the time or resources and don't know that any other mod has the time or resources to take over, and total regime changeovers rarely work without a lot more strife than we're currently seeing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:16 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
awakeasaurusrex
Entrenched


Joined: 12 Oct 2010
Posts: 1099

JKatkina wrote:
"Don't feed the trolls" is always good advice and in this case is primarily intended to keep you guys from drowning in self-bumped troll threads before I can get back to uF and merge the fuckers. It takes the trolls way less effort if they can get you guys to bump their shitty threads for them, and while more effort doesn't always mean that the trolls will jump ship, it might help stymie the problem for those times when I can't hop on within five minutes of a thread being posted and deal with it.
Again: a really quite simple script will take 100% of the effort out of it for enterprising trolls.

Quote:
It makes no sense that you're jumping down my throat for trying to effect social change on this board for the positive, particularly when I'm still dealing with the issue at hand to the point where the casual observer can't tell there's a problem.

I'm saying this because the social change that's been effected has led to normal, good-faith users jumping down each others' throats. And I'm jumping down your throat about it because, unlike normal users, you're the one in a position of authority - and, therefore, responsibility.

Quote:
Innocent newbies learn.
Or leave and go to other fora where the moderators moderate and the normal-tier users aren't twitchy and trigger-happy.

Quote:
People were already at each others' throats over the troll B.S.; they just did it in public before instead of in private. At least if it's in private the trolls don't get to see it!
If people behave badly in public they can be publicly shamed for it. If people gang up on someone with PMs then it feels like a witch hunt.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:21 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
JKatkinaModerator
Entrenched


Joined: 16 Jan 2010
Posts: 825
Location: Calgary, AB

awakeasaurusrex wrote:
I'm saying this because the social change that's been effected has led to normal, good-faith users jumping down each others' throats. And I'm jumping down your throat about it because, unlike normal users, you're the one in a position of authority - and, therefore, responsibility.

...

If people behave badly in public they can be publicly shamed for it. If people gang up on someone with PMs then it feels like a witch hunt.

That didn't work worth a damn when we were doing it. All it resulted in was people posting back, butthurt, "well you're dumb for mini-modding and I'm going to post however I feel like", which endlessly bumped troll topics and caused huge, public strife. This way, a person makes one mistake, and probably never makes that same mistake again.

It's a damn shame if it scares off some newbies, and I'll do my best to encourage people not to post in a way that would scare off newbies. However, I am staunchly of the opinion that this is doing more good so far than "public shaming" ever accomplished. There has been a record low in troll-thread posts since I started encouraging people to PM rather than post chiding things in-thread. You may disagree with my methods but you can't say that the results aren't happening.

Yes, I am in a place of responsibility, and I am exercising that and making changes. Maybe not perfect ones, but at least I am doing something, which is better than the big honking nothing that was happening before. You getting on my case about the things I am doing is not constructive and only serves to frustrate, because rather than proposing feasible solutions to the problems at hand, you are railing one-note against a policy that you don't like and that clearly isn't going to change.


In regards to scripts: I can't vouch for scripts or forum code -- out of my purview and skill set, not among the things that I can help with.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:37 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Cougar Draven
Entrenched


Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Posts: 1177
Location: Potentially everywhere.

Nickjackal wrote:
I mean, I don't see this problem on the Slender Man Mythos board. I haven't seen it on the News & Rumors board, haven't seen it on any other board other than this one, which makes me think: " Do they not have this problem on other boards, or do they actually deal with them in a timely fashion on the other boards?".


I moderate SMM, and we deal with it in a timely fashion.

We also have three active, dedicated mods, as opposed to just JKatkina here. If you leave, you leave, but I suppose I'd appreciate it if you'd consider cutting people a bit of slack based on disproportionate mod-to-post ratios.
_________________
Currently playing: MH, EMH, The Master Theorem
Moderating: Slender Man Mythos, The Master Theorem
Writing: ???
Picture that. In your dreams.


PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:58 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
punxtr
Die Hard Try Hard


Joined: 17 Jul 2010
Posts: 2994

I've been an admin before, and I used to ban people left and right. It didn't work until everyone did their part to ignore them, and to discuss content--not the trolls. So, although banning them is satisfactory to some degree, I don't believe it is the solution itself. Trust me, I know banning feels good Very Happy
_________________
Info on an old avatar of mine: http://punxtr.tumblr.com/post/17467830903/xmandelbrot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:54 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 8 of 10 [138 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Marble Hornets
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group