Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 
 
Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Having Trouble with the Boards?
Ask in the General Forum
or email unforum /at/ unfiction.com
 
The time now is Thu May 25, 2017 12:07 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Old News & Rumors
[TRAILHEAD?] Odd Jobs
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 10 of 38 [557 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 36, 37, 38  Next
Author Message
thebruce
Dances With Wikis


Joined: 16 Aug 2004
Posts: 6899
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

SugarlessLlama wrote:
Did you use a website to decode it? If so, which one?

A very simply ROT tool you can bookmark is at http://www.unfiction.com/resource/rot-it/
_________________
@4DFiction/@Wikibruce/Contact
ARGFest 2013 - Seattle! ARGFest.com


PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:40 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
hwoami
Boot

Joined: 11 Feb 2011
Posts: 17

http://s2.postimage.org/4oetd6z2j/oldsoldiers_cipher_under_newyork4.gif
I mapped the new york map over the cipher we have to see what would happen, and the map key just seems to cover some of the code too perfectly to be a coincidence, at least to me. I didn't resize the map or the cipher at all. And also the arrows seem to be pointing at CJJSH. Maybe someone can figure out if I've stumbled onto a real clue or if it's just coincidence? I'm horrible at decryption

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:51 am
 View user's profile Send private message
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
distilled
Unfettered


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 732
Location: Midlands, UK

hwoami wrote:
http://s2.postimage.org/4oetd6z2j/oldsoldiers_cipher_under_newyork4.gif
I mapped the new york map over the cipher we have to see what would happen, and the map key just seems to cover some of the code too perfectly to be a coincidence, at least to me. I didn't resize the map or the cipher at all. And also the arrows seem to be pointing at CJJSH. Maybe someone can figure out if I've stumbled onto a real clue or if it's just coincidence? I'm horrible at decryption


*slaps self*

*slaps self again*

Holy crap, can I buy you dinner?
_________________
http://verydistilled.blogspot.com
Passionate about an ARG? Click here to sign up to be a guest writer on my blog, tell us why!


PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:21 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
operator0013
Boot


Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 62

out of the box

wow...nice approach. It's always the best ideas that make you wonder why you didn't have them in the first place.

*slaps self too*

I'll buy the beer



-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:47 am
 View user's profile Send private message
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
AnonymousOtter
Veteran


Joined: 05 Feb 2011
Posts: 80
Location: UC, CA

distilled wrote:
hwoami wrote:
http://s2.postimage.org/4oetd6z2j/oldsoldiers_cipher_under_newyork4.gif
I mapped the new york map over the cipher we have to see what would happen, and the map key just seems to cover some of the code too perfectly to be a coincidence, at least to me. I didn't resize the map or the cipher at all. And also the arrows seem to be pointing at CJJSH. Maybe someone can figure out if I've stumbled onto a real clue or if it's just coincidence? I'm horrible at decryption


*slaps self*

*slaps self again*

Holy crap, can I buy you dinner?


operator0013 wrote:
wow...nice approach. It's always the best ideas that make you wonder why you didn't have them in the first place.

*slaps self too*

I'll buy the beer


Screw that... I'd buy that guy a Porsche... If i had the money....
So what's the segment for, though? Is it the key to another cipher?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:03 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
distilled
Unfettered


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 732
Location: Midlands, UK

That what I was thinking - maybe its the passcode for the cipher itself?
_________________
http://verydistilled.blogspot.com
Passionate about an ARG? Click here to sign up to be a guest writer on my blog, tell us why!


PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:41 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
AnonymousOtter
Veteran


Joined: 05 Feb 2011
Posts: 80
Location: UC, CA

distilled wrote:
That what I was thinking - maybe its the passcode for the cipher itself?


... It looked like a letter-shift cypher... how would that be the key?
And, do we include the key in our answer, or not?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:45 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
hwoami
Boot

Joined: 11 Feb 2011
Posts: 17

I dont know if this has already been mentioned, but the place all the arrows point to on the cleaned up map contains ground zero.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:46 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
AnonymousOtter
Veteran


Joined: 05 Feb 2011
Posts: 80
Location: UC, CA

hwoami wrote:
I dont know if this has already been mentioned, but the place all the arrows point to on the cleaned up map contains ground zero.


... I want to say that's a coincidence... but I'm not sure....
Who's in New York to verify?
_________________
Fool me once... die with a vengeance...

If I wanted to play head games, I would have downloaded Sudoku for my iPhone...


PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:10 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
hwoami
Boot

Joined: 11 Feb 2011
Posts: 17

Re: 69th infantry

cave_canum wrote:
The unit in the citation for the aussie is incorrect. It's not the 69th Inf Reg, it should be the 69th Inf Div. Which operated in the Rhineland and eastern Europe from in combat from 27FEB1945 to VE day. 25APR1945 partols contacted Russian forces @ Riesa & Targau (from wikipedia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/69th_Infantry_Division_(United_States)


It's actually the 69th reg. The regiment is part of the NEW YORK CITY national guard. It served in WWII against Japan, hence Australian consultation.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:14 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
distilled
Unfettered


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 732
Location: Midlands, UK

AnonymousOtter wrote:
distilled wrote:
That what I was thinking - maybe its the passcode for the cipher itself?


... It looked like a letter-shift cypher... how would that be the key?
And, do we include the key in our answer, or not?


I thought there was talk of it being a columnular transpotition cipher? Then it would need a password.

Unless I've missed a step here...
_________________
http://verydistilled.blogspot.com
Passionate about an ARG? Click here to sign up to be a guest writer on my blog, tell us why!


PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:13 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
hwoami
Boot

Joined: 11 Feb 2011
Posts: 17



from the trailer. Car license says SPLDBRT. abbreviation for something?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:36 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
tlrcirca66
Kilroy

Joined: 08 Feb 2011
Posts: 2

hwoami wrote:


from the trailer. Car license says SPLDBRT. abbreviation for something?


usually means spoiled brat?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:39 pm
 View user's profile Send private message
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
AnonymousOtter
Veteran


Joined: 05 Feb 2011
Posts: 80
Location: UC, CA

distilled wrote:
AnonymousOtter wrote:
distilled wrote:
That what I was thinking - maybe its the passcode for the cipher itself?


... It looked like a letter-shift cypher... how would that be the key?
And, do we include the key in our answer, or not?


I thought there was talk of it being a columnular transpotition cipher? Then it would need a password.

Unless I've missed a step here...


If that were it, then all we would need to do is anagram each specific section, but it doesn't look possible...
Can someone run it through a decrypter?

EDIT: Maybe it's also a ROT? So they Rotted it first before columular transpositioning it...?
_________________
Fool me once... die with a vengeance...

If I wanted to play head games, I would have downloaded Sudoku for my iPhone...


PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:55 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
malevolentNeon
Boot


Joined: 02 Feb 2011
Posts: 21
Location: Australia

I ran the cipher through ARGtools as a columnar cipher. Turned up gibberish for all possible results. However, if it is indeed a double columnar transposition cipher as I believe it to be, this is to be expected. Columnar transposition ciphers are written out in blocks of five letters, which matches this one.

Of course, that's not concrete proof. The fact that it was used largely during WW2 seems too perfect to be a coincidence.

Of course, a ROT/columnar transposition cipher is also possible. But it seems needlessly complicated, something that requires brute force and the random application of deciphering methods. Mind you, being new to the whole ARG thing, this sort of cipher could be the norm and I'm just pointlessly shooting down ieas.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:36 am
 View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 10 of 38 [557 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 36, 37, 38  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Old News & Rumors
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group