Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
What is an ARG?
Read imbri's Quickstart Guide

The time now is Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:59 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: Cloverfield (1-18-08) » Cloverfield: General / Updates
Writer Interview Proposes Skepticism for All Viral Info?
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
Drewsko
Veteran

Writer Interview Proposes Skepticism for All Viral Info?

First, I'll apologize in advance if I'm repeating trouting old news. It looks like it would take a while to find earler mention of this.

Now, I'm quite a fan of Cloverfield and all the viral associated with it, but something I saw recently brought up questons I already had about the viral and crew interview-gained information, as well as questions I never considered.

I was wasting my life on TV Tropes the other day when I checked the page for the movie, and I saw something interesting posted under the trope listing for "Word of God." It was a link for an old podcast interview (around the WGA strike) with Cloverfield's writer Drew Goddard, along with a summary of what the man said in said interview and the conclusions that could be reached from it.

From the article:
Quote:
Writer Drew Goddard argues against the idea of Word of God to begin with, as part of a larger argument about the film providing enough answers on its own; his reasoning is in part because A) a number of off-hand comments and personal interpretations by the filmmakers have been taken as canon (such as director Matt Reeves saying he thinks the monster is a baby only acting in self-defense, which had never been discussed with Goddard), and B) the viral marketing was created without his input, and possibly without the guidance of the director or J.J. Abrams. In his words, "everything that is important to the movie is on-screen," and everything not explained or shown within the film is not as important as the viewer's interpretation. Therefore, there are no official explanations about what company Rob is going to work for, where the monster came from, or what fell from the sky. With that said, he does note that the satellite theory doesn't seem to make sense, but then claims that his opinion on it doesn't make it untrue.

Link to the podcast itself: http://creativescreenwritingmagazine.blogspot.com/2008/03/cloverfield-q.html

I can kind of see what he's getting at. I've noted about various complaints regarding J.J. Abram's word about the monster being dead is that the whole counter-arguement with the backward message after the credits is that the "message" came from Matt Reeves, who likely had no idea about what Abrams thought about the issue when he added it. Thus, people shouldn't be relying on the "message" to be saying the monster is still alive.

But the fact the interview implies that the entire viral campaign, and not just what the filmmakers say, is not the official explanation, is interesting to think about. Comments about this?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:58 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Chrizzy
Unfettered

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. What we followed was confusing and sometimes contradictory (note the fact that the viral and the movie indicated two different dates)...they weren't in-tune, and, of course, the movie should always be taken above the viral marketing.
That being said, though, if none of the viral stuff is used, then I think there will be a lot of pissed off fans who will suddenly feel like they wasted a huge part of their lives following a viral no one officially cared about.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:40 pm
Chrizzy
Unfettered

I feel very alone all of a sudden Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:37 pm
m0r1arty
Unfettered

I guess trailers are just guff too then!

-m0r

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:06 am
geezyj
Unfettered

So I've been arguing with people over the satellite vs. monster theory for nothing? Sad

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:02 pm
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: Cloverfield (1-18-08) » Cloverfield: General / Updates
Jump to: