Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
The Project MU Archives
Now available in stunning full-color print edition.

The time now is Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:07 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Flynn Lives
[FILM] Things to look for in TRON:Legacy
Moderators: enaxor, Euchre, spaceboy, thebruce
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 6 of 9 [132 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
eolith
Unfettered

yeah, I've already bought that, too.

Btw, the Yar's Revenge was Atari 2600 only, but somehow they made a cabinet. It was in the Flynn's Arcade mockup at SDCC this year. Not sure why.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yars'_Revenge

Btw, the yellow lightcycle that was up against the window on a shelf/dresser(?) was from a set made in Japan. I was luck and nabbed one

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:29 am
 ICQ Number 
Reply with quote Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
serenosaur
Boot

So, with the TRON poster in young Sam's room... does that mean that in that world, TRON was made into a movie too? Or a video game, created by Kevin? I thought that was odd when I saw it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:06 am
infamous
Veteran

serenosaur wrote:
So, with the TRON poster in young Sam's room... does that mean that in that world, TRON was made into a movie too? Or a video game, created by Kevin? I thought that was odd when I saw it.

It's a game.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:11 am
CalebH2010
Unfettered

infamous wrote:
serenosaur wrote:

It's a game.

*sighs* Not anymore. *swings ID Disc down and infamous derezzes*

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:21 pm
Last edited by CalebH2010 on Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
SkekTek
Decorated

I stand corrected regarding the black Gen 2 toy- it was a Gen 5 as someone else pointed out. Hmm... since a black lightcycle would be invisible on the game grid, wonder if that was a nod to an "invisible cycle" mode in a hypothetical console version? Smile

Also, a cool nod to the original was the handheld Mattell baseball game that Flynn plays with in the original Tron movie (when he's meeting Alan and Laura in his arcade loft) lying dusty in Flynn's arcade when Sam goes down to the basement.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:09 pm
confusion
Decorated

Euchre wrote:
confusion wrote:
Euchre wrote:
You don't think those events were planned long before hand? I'm sure most of the ARG was designed in outline before the first Bit hit the post office.The details of each stage are malleable I'm sure, but they can't exactly just make up the story and events a month in advance - especially when they're using the REAL actors from the film.

I don't know how long the events were planned before hand, do you? All I can do is base my analysis on the facts at hand, and the chronology of events. The 89 logo appears in the trailer before the ARG. That trailer utilized scenes shot months before that.

If you want to get really technical, the ARG started with the Flynn's Arcade event back in July '09. If 42E was already working up the outline then, they could easily get involved with the Disney folks enough to talk about a logo that Sam would use that would appear in both the film and the ARG. I'm not aware that the shooting schedule was ever published either, or that anyone knows when those shots were put together. In a recent interview it was noted that as little as 2 weeks ago, they were STILL putting the last bits of work on the film. Usually a film is 'in the can' a month before its released.

Also, the first trailer with footage from the film, NOT the FX test, was first shown 2 weeks after the first ARG event of 2010. I'm sure that event with coordination in cities worldwide, including the logistics of setting up cell phones that would work worldwide, took at least a month to plan, probably more.

Another thing that makes me think the 89 Forever logo and idea was an insertion specifically as a result of the ARG work is that I have not seen any other usage of the logo in any other merchandising or licensed materials.

I just got back from the Gallery Nucleus Tron Legacy panel and they had an unplanned designer come in at the end of the panel. As luck would have it, he was the one that worked on all the graphics, symbols, letters, fonts....etc. Each symbol and graphic had meaning and they had specific rules on how and where to use them. He also created the 89 symbol. He said the 89 symbol had a pretty detailed and specific backstory and was planned and designed for the movie from the beginning. He also mentioned it was also on Sam's backpack (on the bottom some place) and could possibly be seen when Sam jumps off the Encom building.

So, there you go. The 89 symbol wasn't created by the ARG and later inserted into the movie.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:01 pm
serenosaur
Boot

SkekTek wrote:
I stand corrected regarding the black Gen 2 toy- it was a Gen 5 as someone else pointed out. Hmm... since a black lightcycle would be invisible on the game grid, wonder if that was a nod to an "invisible cycle" mode in a hypothetical console version? Smile

Also, a cool nod to the original was the handheld Mattell baseball game that Flynn plays with in the original Tron movie (when he's meeting Alan and Laura in his arcade loft) lying dusty in Flynn's arcade when Sam goes down to the basement.

Ahh, so that's what that was! Somehow I thought it was a Gameboy or something. What a great detail to put in! I'll have to look out for that the next time I see the movie. Surprised

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:32 pm
ArtGuy 84
Boot

xombiekitty wrote:
Cchinese Pirate wrote:
I mentioned in another post... but I saw at least 4 or 5 things that I felt were TOTALLY homages to Blade runner, including a particular riff in Daft Punk's score... perhaps I'm reading into things, but they seemed blatant tributes to me...

Nope, you're not imagining it... or if you are, I am too Laughing
Seeing/hearing two of my favourite films in a mash-up homage-y way was epically cool Very Happy

They definitely channeled the soundtrack that Vangelis created for Blade Runner at various points. It really added to my enjoyment of the soundtrack that much more because of it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:58 pm
madopal
Unfettered

SkekTek wrote:

I could swear it was football, not baseball. Have to watch again. It is the same game, however, that he was playing before his "Sherman, set the way back machine for...3 years ago" exposition.

Also, one other really quick detail I got...when Sam gets picked up by the recognizer, just after it takes off, he looks around. When he glances up, I'm pretty sure you see the cockpit above him, and recognizer controls look very similar to the original ones ("Just like the old arcade grips").

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:50 pm
Last edited by madopal on Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rogi Ocnorb
I Have 100 Cats and Smell of Wee

It was the Coleco "Electronic Quarterback" Football game.
There was a period where Mattel made both Football and Baseball games similar to this one, but not that would be mistaken for the Coleco game.
http://www.iclassifieds.com/forsale/collectibles/997579117/_alot-of-vintage-handheld-games-entex-coleco-tommytronics.html
http://seventyseveneightytwo.blogspot.com/2007/06/mattel-other-brand-handheld-games.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:16 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SoCalSteve_

infamous wrote:
serenosaur wrote:
It's a game.
Right, but isnt that Bruce on the poster?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:18 pm
RustyMuffler
Unfettered

SoCalSteve_ wrote:
infamous wrote:
serenosaur wrote:
It's a game.

No. It's Tron. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:20 pm
emeraldbeacon
Decorated

RustyMuffler wrote:
SoCalSteve_ wrote:
infamous wrote:
serenosaur wrote:
It's a game.

No. It's Tron. Wink

Besides, any resemblance to Alan Bradley can be easily explained in-world... after all, as was explained in an online video interview (shortly before the Wondercon Press Conference), Alan explained that Kevin Flynn occasionally called HIM 'Tron', much to Alan's confusion. Then, when Flynn decided to start production on the video game "Tron", he probably directed the art production to use Alan's likeness (or at least similar to it) for all promotional materials surrounding the game.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:14 pm
BeyondSandrock
Boot

I'm fairly certain this has probably been posted in other threads, but just in case....

Spoiler (Rollover to View):
I couldn't help but laugh with glee when Kevin says to Sam "The only winning move is not to play!"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:29 am
Rikua
Boot

Hey, can anyone tell me what song was playing on the jukebox right when Sam started it up? It seems like someone said it was Journey, but I don't listen to much of their stuff so I couldn't identify it....

I wouldn't be concerned, but one of my friends asked me about it, so now I'm turning to you guys. *insert obvious star wars geek "you're my only hope" reference here Razz *

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:24 am
Page 6 of 9 [132 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Flynn Lives
Jump to:  

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
You cannot post calendar events in this forum