Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Your continued support keeps uF running!

The time now is Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:41 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Marble Hornets
[SPEC] The Theory of Old Gods and Slenderman's influence
Moderators: Giskard, JKatkina, Zarggg
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 3 [40 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
lolitsgriff
Boot

[SPEC] The Theory of Old Gods and Slenderman's influence
Considering JAfool as canon; We can't dismiss the idea that Slenderman has influenced old gods.

I'm assuming that since Marblehornets is really an umbrella term around here, that it is fine If I discuss the Slendermythos?

I'm prefacing this with the assumption that JAFOOL is considered Slendermythos canon.

This is just some speculation between myself and my friend; random thoughts.

In the JAFool canon, Logan believed that Slendy was somehow related to Yggdrasil; This can be seen in his drawings, and the odd cyphers of capital letters he left in his posts.

Taking this as an idea; does it not make sense that If Slenderman had been around for a long time, and had an obvious relation to trees, that it was he that INSPIRED the idea of Ygg? Furthermore; has he inspired any other beliefs?

I believe that potentially, If Slendy is that old, he could have been the basis of MANY deity like figures.

For example: ATEN. the Egyptian God of Gods; The sun. Oftentimes depicted as a blank disc with MULTIPLE ARMS coming out of him.
Image incoming:

He has a blank face; he's tall, and has many arms. He effects vision, and gives us many things (metaphorically). Logan went blind from looking at Slendy (his journal) just as you go blind from looking at the sun. In Game-canon, is it not possible to think that Aten; Similarly circular and with arms, may have been influenced?

Connection?

Now, I'm not really saying Aten will come into the story, or if he has any influence, just merely providing evidence for the idea that Slendy may indeed be eldritchly old and powerful.

I hope I'm making sense.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:19 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
SickSlickMan
Account Disabled

Angel of Death.

That's one way to look at the Slender Man.

Kinda fits in with religion, tho not along the lines of the Egyptians.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:28 pm
lolitsgriff
Boot

SickSlickMan wrote:
Angel of Death.

That's one way to look at the Slender Man.

Kinda fits in with religion, tho not along the lines of the Egyptians.

I can see that idea. In general, And I am not sure if it is correct, I see Slendy as a deity influencing many people. His seeming ability to teleport would allow this. Also, in the original SA thread didn't they say he was a shapeshifter? So it would be natural that he didn't always appear with a suit and tie.

THAT being said however, An ANKH bears a chilling resemblance to a blank face with shoulders and a tie drooping down.. Image incoming:

I'm not familiar with many other religions; I'm uninterested and don't do much research into the figureheads.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:32 pm
SickSlickMan
Account Disabled

The suit may just reflect the times. If he really has been around for as long as humans have, his appearance may have changed since then. Stuff I've read hints that in medieval times, he either wore a suit of armor or noble's robes, and in colonial times he probably wore the atire that was worn then. Anything to blend in with the surroundings.

Having been to Catholic school for longer than I care to remember, I know enough about Christianity to be able to make connections. Go past that, my knowledge of religions gets a little hazy. Slender Man seems to embody some sort of fallen angel, "the angel of death" being the phrase I like to throw around. If one were to take that into a religious context, it really asks what he does with the people he kidnaps.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:37 pm
Ornithopter
Greenhorn

Evening, Griff. Glad you posted our theory.

Another thing; Slenderman's arms are said to have the power to put his victims "into something of a hypnotized state," as stated on the Marble Hornets wiki.

That might explain why pharaoh Akhenaten was so quick to worship nothing but Slender Aten, effectively telling the rest of the pantheon of Egyptian gods to bugger off.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:41 pm
lolitsgriff
Boot

Ornithopter wrote:
Evening, Griff. Glad you posted our theory.

Another thing; Slenderman's arms are said to have the power to put his victims "into something of a hypnotized state," as stated on the Marble Hornets wiki.

That might explain why pharaoh Akhenaten was so quick to worship nothing but Slender Aten, effectively telling the rest of the pantheon of Egyptian gods to bugger off.

Very well; I agree with this idea as well.

Now, @slick, I had no idea he had changed. I do love the idea of that though;

My question is, what is his motivation for changing clothing? It's not like he blends in. At All. It would make more sense for him to look like a tree or big spider if he wanted to blend in.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:44 pm
Mr.rv4287
Boot

stupid question but I'm still new what is JAFOOL

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:46 pm
Mr_Nekomata
Boot

I like how this is unfolding, still it seems like it's all born from a wish.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:49 pm
SickSlickMan
Account Disabled

Mr.rv4287 wrote:

It's the blog that started all the other Slender blogs on here. Probably the most canon of them all. You can find a few links on this forum if you go back far enough.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:50 pm
lolitsgriff
Boot

Mr.rv4287 wrote:

jafool.wordpress.com ; One of the other Slendermythos args.

@Nekomata; It is really just fan speculation, which I doubt will ever come up. But half the fun is theorizing, right?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:51 pm
Ornithopter
Greenhorn

lolitsgriff wrote:

My question is, what is his motivation for changing clothing? It's not like he blends in. At All. It would make more sense for him to look like a tree or big spider if he wanted to blend in.

I think Slick's getting his theory from the famous "Der Ritter" woodcut.

Sorry for the image size, it is a bit excessive, but I couldn't find a smaller image.
I don't think it's a question of blending in; I think it's a question of "Suits didn't exist in the Middle Ages, and we're pretty sure Slendy isn't clairvoyant."

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:54 pm
lolitsgriff
Boot

Ornithopter wrote:

I don't think it's a question of blending in; I think it's a question of "Suits didn't exist in the Middle Ages, and we're pretty sure Slendy isn't clairvoyant."

But that still does not explain his need to wear human clothing?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:57 pm
SickSlickMan
Account Disabled

Ornithopter wrote:
lolitsgriff wrote:

I think Slick's getting his theory from the famous "Der Ritter" woodcut.

Sorry for the image size, it is a bit excessive, but I couldn't find a smaller image.

I didn't see the exact woodcut; I just read accounts based off the woodcut. But yeah, along those lines.

That's what I was trying to say. Slender Man goes with the times. How much help it does him in the long run, I don't know, but it's probably easier for him if his prey sees him dressed like they are.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:58 pm
lolitsgriff
Boot

SickSlickMan wrote:
I didn't see the exact woodcut; I just read accounts based off the woodcut. But yeah, along those lines.

That's what I was trying to say. Slender Man goes with the times. How much help it does him in the long run, I don't know, but it's probably easier for him if his prey sees him dressed like they are.

Hm. That makes sense; wasn't the original slendermythos story putting him at a library w/ children? something about the locals not knowing what to do and then burning the library down?

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:01 pm
Mr_Nekomata
Boot

lolitsgriff wrote:
Mr.rv4287 wrote:

@Nekomata; It is really just fan speculation, which I doubt will ever come up. But half the fun is theorizing, right?
Most things start off innocently enough, which would or could lead to something truly terrible.

Spoiler (Rollover to View):
Rule34 for one.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:07 pm
Page 1 of 3 [40 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Chaotic Fiction » Marble Hornets
Jump to: