Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
The Project MU Archives
Now available in stunning full-color print edition.

The time now is Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:30 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Old News & Rumors
Spoilers: BMW game
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 4 of 6 [80 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Diandra
Unfettered

Report from Vegas

My brother went to Las Vegas for CES and participated in the Endgame from BMW Films. He asked the Stardust guy for a fork, and was directed to restaurant called The Courtyard.

Inside he found a guy with an earpiece talking on a cell phone. The guy showed him a b&w pic of a woman in a jacket walking. Photo showed a maid's cart behind her. Asked if he'd ever seen her before.(We think she is the maid from one of the films.) My brother was then given a chess piece and directed to the Stratosphere to meet a guy in a trenchcoat. He ran most of the way, unable to hail a cab.

At the Strat, he found the guy standing by a BMW. He asked to look in the trunk, as he knew from previous clues he was looking for the file in the trunk of the car. The guy then asked him a few questions which were further clues. "You're on top of the ______. You're on cloud ____." Top of the World, Cloud Nine are on the 107th floor of the Strat's tower. The guy told him to skip the line (to the elevator) and tell the guy at the front "BMW Films". This is where he hit a slight roadblock. The Strat people told him to get back in line. When it was finally his turn, he said, "BMW Films" and was given a guest reservation with 107 written in red on it.

At the 107th floor, he entered the club. He was told to sign in with his name, address, and email addy, and given a drink ticket. (About a dozen parties had already been admitted before him.) He then met the guy they told him to when he signed in. He was welcomed, given a t-shirt and two DVDs, told to hang onto his chess piece for "something down the road" and told that 250 people completed the online portion of the game. The winners were to be announced at 8 PM. The prizes are a mountain bike, and of course, the BMW.

Unfortunately, my brother had prior commitments and couldn't hang around for the rest of the event. Also, he kept calling me from his cell phone which kept cutting out, so I may need to edit these details, but this is the best info I have so far.

Good luck to all who entered, and thanks to Tien Le for all of the assistance!

Dia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 11:08 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
vpisteve
Asshatministrator

Well, I too was along for the tail end of the ride. I got to the Stardust around 7:30 and given a Fast Pass to go directly to the Stratosphere (must've been my good looks).

Anyway, I'll post a complete summary soon.

Oh, the winners of the BMW and Mountainbike were:

Jonathan Fisher and his new wife, from Bellingham, WA (BMW)
Andrew Brown from New Hampshire

Congrats to them! They looked good in the car.

The folks I talked to said people came from as far away as Toronto, Florida and New York tonight.

We partied hearty! More later.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:07 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Diandra
Unfettered

Guide Suggestion for TL

After the endgame tonight, I have some new spec.

There were obviously a number of references to chess in this game. The Petroff Defense was part of the clue to the keys, but I now believe it's more significant than that.

Petroff only covers the first four move sequences, however, the additional two keys were the 5th and 6th move sequences in a very important match...the one that Deep Blue (the IBM computer) played against a very well known chess champion. Deep Blue emerged victorious. Could :k: be Kasparov? (see http://www.research.ibm.com/deepblue/games/game6/html/c.2.html)

Apparently, Kasparov went wrong in the 7th move, which caused him to lose the game...and $300,000.

Players tonite were told to keep the chess piece they received during the hunt. It may be useful later. Also, the reference to, "I will castle king-side for now. You always were better at openings, but my middle game will wear you down," could possibly refer to the Deep Blue match.

I'm certainly no GrandMaster chess player, so any feedback is appreciated.

Dia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:58 am
DanCT

Thanks for updates

Thanks Dia and others for the updates. I used google to find info since I could make it from CT. Too bad I did not win. Now, what will done with the chess pieces?

Please send me info.

DanCT
danct1957SPLAThotmail.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 4:57 am
SloaneCo
Kilroy

Re: Thanks for updates

DanCT wrote:
Thanks Dia and others for the updates. I used google to find info since I could make it from CT. Too bad I did not win. Now, what will done with the chess pieces?

Please send me info.

DanCT

FYI DanCT is now SloaneCo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 5:27 am
signalost
Boot

some things

Brief recap:

The guy in front of the Stardust had on a black adidas jogging suit and was standing next to a photographer who was taking pictures of all the players. When you ask for a fork he directs you to the Courtyard.

When you enter the Courtyard room inside the Stardust you see a guy is sitting to the left. He has you wait until the players ahead have advanced then lets you through.

You then stop by a uniformed gaurd while waiting for the players ahead are done. He asked how long have I been on this journey.

Then when the players ahead have left, you proceed to the next guy acting serious and grim wearing a black jacket and glasses. On the table are a set of negatives, photographs, and the golden box you see in one of the short films (Chosen) and also on the photoalbum page. He pulls out a poor resolution black and white photograph printout of someone with a ponytail black jacket walking down a hallway and asks if you recognize that person. Then he pulls a second photograph out of a woman and a man getting into an elevator and asks if you recognize anyone in the picture. He then points to the golden box and asks if you seen that item before. Then he gives you a chess piece and tells you to go to the front of the Stratosphere and show the chess piece to a man in a tan trenchcoat. He also says to not speak to anybody on the way to him.

At the front of the Stratosphere you see a guy with a trenchcoat standing around 10 to 15 feet away from the BMW Z4 Roadster. He asks you a couple sentences you are to complete. When you are feeling great you are on top of the world. When you are feeling high you are on cloud nine. Then he tells you to go up the escalator to "Top of the World" and under the sign "Cloud 9". He says to not stay in line but go past it. Then there will be a lady by the elevators and tell her "BMW Films." She will take you up to floor 107.

After reaching this part, the player is to walk past a metal detector -amidst some angry people who have waited in line with VIP registrations wondering what is going on. At the top of the escalator is a lady who directs you to the left and enter elevator #3 while the ones with reservations move to the right.
You tell the elevator operator you'd like the 107th floor.

Once you're up there, you sign the guestbook and given a raffle ticket for drinks. You get your choice of schwag on the tables. Deciphernaut t-shirts and caps, DVDs for season 1 and 2, a BMW films poster, and watch the set of short films on a projector while hanging out at the bar. One table had the actual file found at uncaptheride.com with sets of black and white photos from the game. There was also a chessboard with a missing white pawn piece.

The raffle was to be held a little after 8pm at the front of the Stratosphere where the man with the tan trenchcoat was. They raffled off the car and a mountain bike. Only 250 entered. Around 30 to 40 have reached the end by the beginning of November, meaning that the bulk of the entries came at November/December.

Congrats to the winners. The BMW winner just got married before the evening. It was his lucky night. He was the 43rd person to enter the contest (probably sometime around November).

Lastly, those attended were told to keep their chess pieces and not lose them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:22 am
Last edited by signalost on Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
SpaceBass
The BADministrator

Steve also cranked out a nice write-up of the evening replete with pictures. Check it out!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:33 am
vpisteve
Asshatministrator

Nice recap, signalost! Thanks for filling in some stuff I missed Sad

Sorry I missed meeting you somehow.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:35 am
signalost
Boot

Quote:
Nice recap, signalost! Thanks for filling in some stuff I missed Sorry I missed meeting you somehow.

Thanks. I'm just adding tidbits to the collective experience. Great to hear you had a blast as well. For some reason I was expecting the car to have at least one bullet hole.

Oh yeah, the Season 2 DVD's were advanced copies as I suspected. Who knows, it might have an easter egg. Smile Sticker on back of DVD says:
"Advance Copy - BMW Internal Use Only Production quality may vary by machine. The Hire 8-Film DVD will be released in Spring 2003. Buckle Up!"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 6:48 am
Tien_Le
Charter Member

Signalost, did you recognize the gold box? Was it the one from the movie with the bandaid in it? And the woman in the picture? Was she the Maid (asssassin)? Too bad the driver didn't make an appearance. And darn it...you and Steve didn't hook up...that would have been cool. I'm so glad you got to go along with Steve and Diandra's brother. Thanks for the write-ups, you three...what a terrific ending to a fun game.

I really really hope there is another one! Prizes or not, it was too much fun.

BTW...any spec on what people should do with their buttons?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:19 pm
signalost
Boot

Quote:
Signalost, did you recognize the gold box? Was it the one from the movie with the bandaid in it? And the woman in the picture? Was she the Maid (asssassin)?

Yes, the box is the one seen on the nikkonnet photo album and the film Chosen. It looks smaller in person.

The woman in the picture did look like the maid -the friend :k: could trust. Some said it was her although I wasn't 100% certain with the resolution of the prints.

One in-game character asked if i know where the file was. I was about to tell him the url that had a picture of the file and some of its details, but he said it was a physical file he was referring to. Later on, the file was in the Stratosphere room with the swag. To keep with the theme, they opened it during the announcement to read the winner of the BMW raffle.

At the final event, the guy in the black workout suit was carrying a long rectangular sealed card board box which he placed on the bench -that may not have been significant but there were small details here and there. There were also two guys dressed as secret service agents with dark glasses -could have just been spectators or puzzle players. One was carrying a briefcase. Nothing was in the back of the trunk contrary to what some suspected -just a plastic wrapper. No dead body. No bullet holes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:09 pm
vpisteve
Asshatministrator

I've posted some additional pics at:

http://www.argn.com/images/bmw/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:54 pm
zyggy

thanks for sharing

I played the game (I was 214th registrant) and couldn't get to Vegas. I was searching for any info on the endgame and found this site. Thanks for the info. I always thought the request for the fork was linked to the bike as in "front fork" and the bike was listed in the fine print of the official rules when you registered. The rules also stated that the online registrants would be entered in a raffle for the Z4, so I suspect that the bike raffle was from the endgame players only. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 11:45 pm
vpisteve
Asshatministrator

signalost wrote:
At the final event, the guy in the black workout suit was carrying a long rectangular sealed card board box which he placed on the bench -that may not have been significant but there were small details here and there.

That box held either the DVDs or caps, AFAIK.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 12:55 am
Kim

I was # 79 to complete the game (Nov. 17th) and went to Vegas. This game took me between 15 and 20 hours over a period of 3 weeks to complete. Of course this includes the 1 week it took to send/receive the letter.

Speaking of the letter, the button apparently got caught in the sorting machine and it broke. The letter itself looks like it went through he shredder. My letter arrived inside of a USPS "Sorry we blew it" envelope.

What a treat! I know absolutely nada about Chess, so I may be up a creek down the road. I had a ball anyway.

I have a few pics to show off.
http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/ohiozdrivers

Click on the :k: in the Directory section....just scroll past my Vegas tourist pictures to get to the good stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 5:42 pm
Page 4 of 6 [80 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Old News & Rumors
Jump to: