Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
What is an ARG?
Read imbri's Quickstart Guide

The time now is Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:26 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: Cloverfield (1-18-08) » Cloverfield: General / Updates
Anyone else looking forward to this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
Pr0LiFiX
Boot

Anyone else looking forward to this?

As far as the Cloverfield sequel is concerned, is anyone looking forward to seeing these elements incorporated into the movie?

Tagruato
Slusho (and some insight into Rob's marketing position)
Chuai Station (weren't they doing an investigation as part of the ARG?)
Ganu Yoshida (wasn't he visiting Manhattan, and wasn't he attacked by TIDOwave members, and didn't he then leave before the monster attacked? Last I heard he had a 'still at large' status from government officials as an update to the ARG)
Lily (whatever happened to her?)
Teddy Hanssan (he WAS in the movie, and he WAS on the bridge -- I'm not crazy, Abrams!)
and more stuff from the ARG...

I don't think JJ and Reeves would have trouble making a story out of this. People who weren't following the ARG could still have it explained to them in great detail in a 2 to 3 hour movie.

I want. Smile

"Hey, Rob. So you're going to Japan... wouldn't-it-just-be-ironic-if-a-huge-monster-attacked?" xD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:13 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
sakai23
Decorated

Location: In an Impala, by the Lair, on an Island called Beacon Hills

It would be nice to see an movie that explains all. An ARG to go with it too, but the people who could do that don't seem motovated by the fans enough.
Quick spam J.J's fan mail/inbox/whatever! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:33 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
phantomjester
Decorated

I am curious what you guys would think of this. When we were walking out of the midnight showing of cloverfield (seems like so long ago doesn't it) my brother, who only knew the main basics about the arg because of me and never really followed much of it, was kinda pissed off. He was mad because he wasn't given all of the answers on a silver platter, at that time he said that whenever they came out with a sequel he wanted it to be more like one of the old godzilla type movies where a random dude in a white lab coat explains to us what the monster is, where it came from, why it is here and how to kill it. I was thinking about this and they could even stay in a similar style as the first one while still doing this. The first movie was a department of defense file so why can't the second one be, at least for part of it, a government made briefing film for the military on their enemy. anyway just a thought.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:56 pm
Chrizzy
Unfettered

The problem I have with being given answers is that, so often in movies, answers are forced both on the audience and on the characters in the film. In Plan 9 From Outer Space, for instance (the first one I can think of), the aliens explain everything they're doing in a "well, you're gonna die anyway, so I might as well tell you my whole life story" kinda way. If there are going to be any answers given, then they NEED to come naturally from the plot, and characters should never be forced into a situation just for the sake of having things explained to us morons munching on popcorn in our theatre seats.
Cloverfield did it right. Hud speculated, but, just like in a real situation where a giant monster suddenly shows up to step on NYC, no answers are ever bluntly given. Look at any other terror attack, it takes ages to find out who did it and why...a monster attack would likely be no different, unless of course it can speak English and decides to hold a press conference.
In the case of found footage, I think Cannibal Holocaust had a great plot device for explaining things. The movie's actual timeframe was "present day", but, as part of an investigation, people were watching the found footage, and that's how it was presented to the audience. The video from the camera was shown, along with intermissions showing the reactions of the investigators watching it months later.

So, there are ways that the audience can be given answers. But in no way should we need to have everything spelled out in bold for us, and any question that is answered needs to have a good, convincing, plot-based reason for being answered.

Cloverfield 2 can answer some of the questions left after the first one, but it better have damn good reasons for doing so.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:11 pm
Pr0LiFiX
Boot

I'm looking forward to a sequel that'll give us, at least, SOME answers. I know Cloverfield left audiences wondering why the monster attacked Manhattan, and I think that's great. Then comes the sequel, and I think the sequel would be the perfect opportunity for JJ and Reeves to shed some light into what happened, while incorporating some, if not all, elements from the ARG.

I know some people think that having the same event shown in the movie, but in the perspective of a soldier or "the other guy on the bridge who was holding a camera" would make for a sequel, but in my opinion that's a terrible idea. I don't want to essentially see the same event happen, I want a true sequel.

You've got so many ideas to run with based on what you were left seeing in Cloverfield. Lily escaped via helicopter, so maybe the sequel follows Lily and her uncovering the truth behind the attack. Or say a different monster attacks Japan (anyone following the Cloverfield/Kishin manga saw the web of Cloverfield monster eggs deep in the ocean near the end of the manga), since Tagruato is stationed in Japan, it can play a bigger role in the sequel. Seeing the flaming, capsized Tagruato tanker was mysterious enough -- what was it doing in Manhattan? Lol.

The second season premiere for Fringe was yesterday (and it was awesome) and the final season for Lost premieres in 2010. So somewhere down the line, I'm hoping they don't abandon work on the sequel to Cloverfield. He did say he had an idea for the sequel that was "surprising", so I'm interested in seeing what that idea is, and how it translates into the sequel.

"Hey, Rob. So you're going to Japan... wouldn't-it-just-be-ironic-if-a-huge-monster-attacked?" xD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:50 pm
Melodyman
Entrenched

Having moved on to big budget Star Trek like movies, I dont see JJ ever doing a sequel to this film.. his time is now booked up with future big buck productions and in the scheme of things, this would be a step backwards in his career...He cant afford the reviews he got from C1 to tarnish his image now so its just too risky to take a chance on.. So, dont hold your breath for C2.
If it does happen, it wont be for a long time...or it will be farmed out to others in the film world..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:01 pm
Chrizzy
Unfettered

I had a daydream that JJ asked me to help him make CF2. How old am I again?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:12 pm
Pr0LiFiX
Boot

Yeah, you got a point there. Although I wouldn't call working on the Cloverfield sequel to be a step backwards in JJ's career.

I'm not, you know, obsessed or anything... >.>

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:24 am
sp103
Unfettered

I don't doubt we will eventually see C2. Now on the argument that JJ would be "going backwards" on his career by making this movie doesn't make sense. His success prior to Cloverfield was abundant and he isn't the typical producer.

As far the "online Characters" vs. the actual movie, the sequel can go in two directions: Play off the viral story or completely ignore it. I would guess they would ignore it and start anew.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:44 am
DougBThree
Decorated

Heh, yea well, I was looking forward to a movie with those elements in it the first time around. If we ever get a sequel, I don't expect them to resuscitate elements of a long lost ARG that really didn't even tie in much to the actual film.

I don't want to sound bitter, but 2 seconds of the back of Jamie's head sleeping on the couch doesn't exactly payoff what was 7 months of obsessing over this thing. I remember wondering right before the movie came out "How are they ever going to catch the general audience up on all the backstory associated with the online ARG, and still have time to show the monster smashing stuff up?" Answer: They didn't bother to do so.

I definitely had fun with it, but I would expect any sequel to come completely out of left field.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:50 am
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]  
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: Cloverfield (1-18-08) » Cloverfield: General / Updates
Jump to: