Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Got a jones for some uF swag?
Visit Ye Olde Tradin' Post!

The time now is Wed May 24, 2017 12:07 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Old News & Rumors
[indy ARG] Maddison Atkins 2.0 - Restart News
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 3 [40 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
QuinceTheCarpenter
Boot

[indy ARG] Maddison Atkins 2.0 - Restart News

The indy-ARG Maddison Atkins is restarting. The first video was released yesterday:

Episode 1 - "See Maddison?"

In past chapters, player advice led the characters to make choices which ultimately proved fatal to two main characters, and the story moved on to the aftermath and consequences of this tragedy. It was a fun ride.

Now we (the players) have another chance to influence events and help write a different story for Maddison and Adam. Since this is a restart, new players don't need any knowledge of the past mythology to participate, but there is a wiki available with information about the previous chapters for anyone curious...

The new community website looks pretty good with forums, wiki, all the videos, member pages, warm-up puzzles, etc.:

http://www.maddisonatkins.com

Previous chapters included ARG elements like puzzles and drops (pick-ups were coordinated by players via chat), and early indications are that the actors playing the characters will be available for live in-character interaction in the chats, etc. this time around (rather than all the IC stuff outside the videos being done by one overworked puppetmaster).

This is clearly a larger scale production effort (although still bootstrapped by the same folks in east Texas led by Jeromy Barber), with several people working on production full time this summer according to an early

behind-the-scenes video

See also:
Past mentions of Maddison Atkins on unforum.

(Note: I'm just a player and don't have anything to do with the production of this ARG - but I am a big fan because of the obvious care that goes into the writing, acting and shooting of the videos and related material ... if you want to try a small-scale quality ARG this summer with a pretty dedicated/enthusiastic group of fans already in place, give this one a look. Personally, I'd like to see some of the skillful puzzle solvers from Unfiction join up just to help out with that aspect - definitely challenging at times!).

Edit 6/10/09:
There is a "chat" link at maddisonatkins.com but to get to the
official IRC chat room directly connect to
server irc.freenode.net and join #maddison

My understanding is that the chatroom is generally out of game (OOG) unless one of the characters is in the room, but I'm not a mod or anything, so I may be off on this. This is also the place where drop pick-ups will be followed live, group puzzle brainstorming will happen, etc. Also, a good place to find other fans and ask for help figuring out what is going on.

Comments on YouTube under the videos appear to be treated as in-character (IC) so far, as are twitter pages, myspace, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:01 pm
Last edited by QuinceTheCarpenter on Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
MercenaryMuffin
Decorated

Awesome, I may actually get in on the ground floor for an ARG! Looks very interesting, I'm in Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:14 am
ivancica
Greenhorn

I'm in too. This is going to be my first ARG hopefully... Thanks for posting. I'll browse the web site and see what's there. strangely, though the first video won't play on my lap top - says it's some kind of error. Will try it later on my desktop at home...

Did the plot star rolling out yet?

Looking forward to this. Really!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:54 am
MercenaryMuffin
Decorated

This kind of confused me, but after digging through the forums there, apparently the entire website we were pointed to is Out Of Game, serving only as a hub for players and/or behind the scenes stuff. Only the videos that are posted are In Game. Presumably we'll be directed to other sites later.

Also, don't forget to go to the User Map area and mark yourself down as able or unable to pick up any drops they might make.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:02 am
ivancica
Greenhorn

great! thanks. Just done that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:14 am
paperbound
Veteran

I'm getting in on this one too! I'll have to check everything out a little later, but I'm excited to get in on the restart!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:21 am
amandel
I Have 100 Cats and Smell of Wee

Major thanks, QuinceTheCarpenter, for this trailhead. So remember that while the original Maddison Atkins only ran for about

two weels, it was a mega-fun ride.** doing the lil dance of joy that paperbound is back and posting again**

ETA: actually, @MercenaryMuffin, the MaddisonAtkins Fan site which QtheC posted is not only fun reading but sometimes essential for info such as maddisonatkin's new twitter accn't

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:35 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
paperbound
Veteran

amandel wrote:
doing the lil dance of joy that paperbound is back and posting again**

Thank you! I'm stuck at home for the next two weeks on med leave - I have to do something to pass time between medication-induced naps!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:16 am
MercenaryMuffin
Decorated

Ah, thank you for that twitter account, Amandel Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:36 am
Rekidk
Entrenched

I am currently WAAAY out of the ARG-loop, but I've been following this over at LG15today, so I thought I'd mention that I'm going to be following it here as well. =)

It might be worthwhile to note that www.htmlvis.com and www.twitter.com/htmlvis were thrown out as pre-game links to the players a few months ago, though they don't appear to be terribly relevant at the moment. [HTMLvis was the name of a pigeon that acted as a messenger to Maddison in the original incarnation of the game.]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:43 am
DarkWings
Veteran

Ill dabble and see what comes up Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:04 am
Scarlytte
Veteran

And just when I was starting to think Texas was the black hole of ARGs. Woo!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:52 pm
Hazred
Boot

Well I've joined for this, I'm really interested in ARG's and the potential they represent, and I want to run one soon. I'm going to play this, mostly for research, because frankly the set up bores me to death.... but oh well.

Idunno... the video's feel cheesy to me. Anyone else?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:10 pm
MercenaryMuffin
Decorated

Well it's being run by, like, 5 people or something. It IS, after all, an "indy" ARG, so you can't expect the level of production of I Love Bees or something like that. But it's cool to see actual people for once.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:24 am
modelmotion
Boot

original chat

Fyi, the chat room for Ch 1 of the earlier series was STRICTLY in game, but off topic conversation was allowed when a character was not in the chat room (but no oog covo was ever allowed).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:45 am
Page 1 of 3 [40 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Old News & Rumors
Jump to: