Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Your continued support keeps uF running!

The time now is Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:38 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Old News & Rumors
Luce's Lover's Eye
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 19 of 20 [287 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Rogi Ocnorb
I Have 100 Cats and Smell of Wee

Nice!
Is the one pic of the guy with a chair by Brady?

I let the last two assignments go as I've got a lot of stuff going on at work and a 100 foot retaining wall that just doesn't want to erect itself, demanding my attention before the rains come.
I did have all of the components gathered for the last one, "Jesus Christ: Supercat", complete with audience applause sound and flashbulbs (Gotta love the Halloween greeting cards selections, available these days.), but just no time to put it together.

ETA: As the story for this one seems to be lagging the assignments, my submissions have been somewhat "off the mark". It would have been nice to see more of the story, earlier, to get a feel for where it was going and allow the submissions to better align with it.

My initial assumption (based on how things were playing out) was that our submissions were going to help create the story.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:08 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
jungledrum

response
response

Rogi Ocnorb wrote:
Nice!

I let the last two assignments go as I've got a lot of stuff going on at work and a 100 foot retaining wall that just doesn't want to erect itself, demanding my attention before the rains come.
I did have all of the components gathered for the last one, "Jesus Christ: Supercat", complete with audience applause sound and flashbulbs (Gotta love the Halloween greeting cards selections, available these days.), but just no time to put it together.

ETA: As the story for this one seems to be lagging the assignments, my submissions have been somewhat "off the mark". It would have been nice to see more of the story, earlier, to get a feel for where it was going and allow the submissions to better align with it.

My initial assumption (based on how things were playing out) was that our submissions were going to help create the story.

I was thinking that too then I realized that the submissions ARE creating the story - when the submissions appear the story progresses - up to a certain point, and then they stop, and then with the next submissions they start up again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:03 pm
natas
PHP Ninja

Just got back home today. I got an email from Georgina Bath. Apparently, my necklace finally made it after 5 weeks of travelling around the world, lol. Anyways. I'll try to get caught up on the tasks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:43 am
Varin
I Have No Life

Rogi Ocnorb wrote:

I don't know. I got it from the antique store down the street for a dollar. Please don't tell me I ripped up a picture taken by some famous photographer! Laughing Embarassed

ETA: The new assignment is up...

Quote:
There she sits, alone near a campfire behind the theater, working on her quilt. She works with such concentration that others keep their distance. But even without looking up WhatFor knows the actress' eyes are on her. The actress doesn't cut WhatFor any slack whatsoever. The actress wonders why WhatFor is working on her quilt when she should be mending costumes. It's okay. WhatFor makes do; she lost her needle once, didn't have money for a new one and instead of sewing she drew on a square with a piece of coal she pulled from the campfire. She used it for a month until she saved up enough money for a needle and thread.

WhatFor's quilt is a freedom quilt—in charcoal and thread, it tells the story of places she can only imagine visiting once she is free. Please send us a square for a quilt that illustrates places you want to escape to. It can be sewn or drawn.

Thank you, Daisy Fortunis

"meta meta meta, I made you out of play..." ~ j5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:40 am
Scott
Entrenched

Varin wrote:
Anyone else do something for [the memory vessel] challenge?
I made something, in fFact. It's a little fFragile, so I hope it conveys well. I agree with Rogi in saying that my submission is probably a little off the mark. I attempted to make a thing which would convey Elliot's love fFor Blanche -- but now we have more story to go on, it might be slightly off kilter. But i tried to keep it a little ambiguous, too, so I think it should be fFine. I'm pretty pleased with it, in all. I just hope what I was going fFor makes sense, in the scheme of the overall story.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:07 pm
rick_in_boca
Greenhorn

Quilt Code

Quote:
WhatFor's quilt is a freedom quilt—in charcoal and thread, it tells the story of places she can only imagine visiting once she is free. Please send us a square for a quilt that illustrates places you want to escape to. It can be sewn or drawn.
From the oral traditions of some of these Freedom Quilts, there are stories of a quilt code, which was documented in a book called Hidden in Plain View, and then debunked in another book called The Quilt Code.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:47 am
Varin
I Have No Life

The newest items are up...

Quote:
Four memory vessels (assignment #5)

http://tinyurl.com/memoryvessels

Three dioramas (assignment #4)

http://tinyurl.com/travestydioramas

Two more Con Artist’s Replicas (assignment #3)

http://tinyurl.com/artistsreplicas

And

One more necklace (assignment #1) that we think traveled twice around the world before finally making it to me

http://tinyurl.com/subalternnecklaces

The final assignment is up - http://www.ghostsofachance.com/index.php?p=object&id=6

And we’re almost ready for the ghost hunting on Oct 25!

http://americanart.si.edu/visit/event.cfm?key=3177&date=2008-10-25

Georgina

I would die to be able to go to the ghost hunting event!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:04 am
Scott
Entrenched

My diorama really looks weak, next to the other two. Jenny Klostermeyer's diorama is absolutely amazing. I want to take mine back and throw it away or something. I like the story on mine, anyway. And Firinel Thurman's entry, which at fFirst repelled me, has a really somewhat profound message which I'm starting to adore.

The memory vessels are all terrific. I notice a trend towards burnt and torn photos. There's something compellingly awesome about sepia tones. Possibly my fFavorite of these is the Senderhauf fFamily (Varin's) entry. It's a collection of perfectly logical things, which would mean nothing on their own, but together tell a whole shot story. Brilliant.

I really can't wait to see the quilts!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:40 pm
Varin
I Have No Life

A new email...

Quote:
For those of you who cannot attend the October 25th event in Washington, D.C., we want you to leave your imprint on the game play. Will you join together to create a quilt code that has to be deciphered by players on Oct 25th at the museum? Please choose either Honeycomb or Flying Geese.

http://americanart.si.edu/luce/object.cfm?key=338&artistmedia=0&subkey=1764

http://americanart.si.edu/luce/object.cfm?key=338&artistmedia=0&subkey=1765.

Please work together to produce a decipherable code that we may adapt and integrate into one of the quests on October 25th 2008.

Thank you.

Daniel Libbe and Daisy Fortunis (Luce Foundation Center)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:11 pm
MrToasty
I Have 100 Cats and Smell of Wee

That sounds like fun. I'm up for helping with a quilt code.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:22 pm
natas
PHP Ninja

me too. Anything I can do to help

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:26 pm
jungledrum

quilt code
how to start

natas wrote:
me too. Anything I can do to help

How should we start? Pick one of the quilts? I like Flying Geese.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:23 pm
Scott
Entrenched

I would like to suggest we use This Thread Over Here to work out our encrypted message. That way, people who are going to the Smithsonian on the 25th don't need to worry about reading the secrets we have planned fFor them.

So, talk about our puzzle over there, not over here. Cool?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:18 am
Scott
Entrenched

Mail Call!!
Georgina Bath wrote:
Hi Scott,
Thanks again for the code! We used it in the game and it was a huge
success. We'll be posting photos from the game to Flickr and Facebook at
some point soon as well as issuing a press release - so look out for
those!
Fortunately enough people finished ALL SIX quests that we successfully
saved Daisy, Daniel, and the museum. An epilogue has been posted to the
GOAC site. The event was a lot of fun and people really enjoyed the
exhibition - so thank you for contributing to that also.
Georgina

Hooray!!

And, the epilogue:
Quote:
Epilogue
They rest. They really do. All of them. McD has vanished, his fame secured by the artifacts that players of Ghosts Of A Chance made in his honor. Blanche escaped the traps of life; she is free to discover whatever there is to discover, and this time in peace and comfort. WhatFor is free for all time. The Reverend is beyond temptation; he languishes in a goodly repose. They would thank you if they could for all you’ve given, for the final quests that almost two hundred fifty of you played last Saturday, October 25th 2008. Their restful silence is their thanks. They have slipped this earth. Goodbye.

The whole story, if you haven't read it before now, is well worth your time.

I'm looking fForward to the fFollowup photos and such Smile I, fFor one, have really enjoyed the experience. Even fFrom afar, my interest in the Smithsonian has been raised. I haven't visited fFor quite a fFew years, and the last couple weeks I've been pondering how much I can let myself spend fFor a weekend visit.
Smile

Hooray fFor a successful game!!! Thank you Georgina Bath and Smithsonian American Art Museum fFor the fFun time, and thank you CityMystery and Playtime Anti-Boredom Society fFor crafting a fFun experience!!! I kinda wish I'd gotten one of those cool shirts, but c'est la vie. Cheers!
Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:06 pm
jazzyg
Kilroy

Visiting SAAM

If anyone does make a trip to DC to visit us at SAAM, please let me know! We'd be very happy to give you a tour. We're also planning on packaging Saturday's 5-hour event into a shorter game that we can host for groups on request, so let me know if you're interested in trying that out.

I hope you all had fun -- I certainly did!

Georgina
BathGSPLATsi.edu
(202) 633-8532

Luce Foundation Center Information Desk (11:30-7)
SAAMLuceSPLATsi.edu
(202) 633-5435

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:20 pm
Page 19 of 20 [287 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Old News & Rumors
Jump to: