Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Got a jones for some uF swag?
Visit Ye Olde Tradin' Post!

The time now is Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:37 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Old News & Rumors
Luce's Lover's Eye
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 18 of 20 [287 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Rogi Ocnorb
I Have 100 Cats and Smell of Wee

There will be at least one more for the "replicas" assignment.
"Whirled Peas through Solar Power"
It won't arrive in D.C. till the 7th, though.
I just couldn't bring myself to submit the first version as it was a little TOO steampunk and prototype-looking.

It's hard to be creative and produce something you'd be proud to see displayed in a national gallery with the deadlines we have.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:26 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
rick_in_boca
Greenhorn

Memory Vessel
Assignment 5/6, due October 10th

Quote:
Assignment 5/6, due October 10th:

Memory Vessel
Hallie stands at the edge of a crowd of mostly middle-aged women, their husbands clustered to one side yammering about how silly can those women be to hero-worship an actor, of all people. Hallie is there to catch the actor's eye but thus far he hasn't seen her - and she stands out a mile not only because she is the only black woman, but she wears men's clothes, work pants over boots and a plaid wool shirt, faded in places from years of scrubbings. The actor smiles, nodding to his left and right, making his way among his fans, scrawling his autograph in books held outstretched. I'm a clean one, Hallie wants to reassure him, wondering if the actor - who is impeccably dressed - associates anyone of her race with cleanliness, because she wants him to, she takes great pride in her cleanliness. She carries a suitcase that contains the sum total of her possessions. She was free born, in New York, in 1822; enslaved in South Carolina at the age of thirteen, and now, at thirty-three, her suitcase contains her way back to freedom. If only he will catch her eye.

Please create a memory vessel - it can be for Hallie, yourself, or a loved one of any gender and species.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:33 am
Scott
Entrenched

hmmm, interesting! I saw a thing in a thirft store once, which was this hodge podge of stuff which i thought was sort of interesting. Always have wished i had gotten it. New idea: craft such a one myself. Hmmmm.... fFascinating! This weekend i shall go antiquing Smile

Also, mail fFrom georgina, which is basically meta-self-promotion:

Georgina Bath wrote:
The Learning Games Network just posted a great two-part piece about Ghosts of a Chance:
http://www.learninggamesnetwork.org/content/alternate-reality-smithsonian
Georgina

And, a new section of The Story is going up. As bbefore, the story is delivered in pieces over the day, so [url="http://ghostsofachance.com/index.php?p=story#three"]watch this space.[/url]

By the way, have I mentioned how much I'm enjoying this game? Smile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:56 pm
Scott
Entrenched

New mail, which I shall take a little liberty and post here. Because i think it's sort of like useful, plus the last bit is intriguing, to say the least.

So you know what she's talking about at fFirst: i called to let her know my diorama of tragedy would be a little late fFrom the deadline.
Georgina Bath wrote:
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your voice message! I have been out of the office for a couple of days so apologies about my delayed response. It’s absolutely fine if your diorama gets here on Monday – the deadlines are not all that strict, as long as everything gets here in time for the final event on October 25 then we’re happy. So your diorama will certainly be included.

Give me a call if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Georgina

P.S. Did you guys know there was a clue in the cover image for the Smithsonian Magazine article? Because there was. J

Emphasis is mine.

Have not gone and examined my Smithsonian mag.

Looking at the online edition, I see this piece:
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/atm-game-200810.html

Squeeee!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:22 pm
ineffabelle
Unfettered

Scott wrote:
New mail, which I shall take a little liberty and post here. Because i think it's sort of like useful, plus the last bit is intriguing, to say the least.

So you know what she's talking about at fFirst: i called to let her know my diorama of tragedy would be a little late fFrom the deadline.
Georgina Bath wrote:
Hi Scott,

Thanks for your voice message! I have been out of the office for a couple of days so apologies about my delayed response. It’s absolutely fine if your diorama gets here on Monday – the deadlines are not all that strict, as long as everything gets here in time for the final event on October 25 then we’re happy. So your diorama will certainly be included.

Give me a call if you have any other questions!

Thanks,

Georgina

P.S. Did you guys know there was a clue in the cover image for the Smithsonian Magazine article? Because there was. J

Emphasis is mine.

Have not gone and examined my Smithsonian mag.

Looking at the online edition, I see this piece:
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/atm-game-200810.html

Squeeee!!!!

Woah Scott! Thanks sooooo much for posting this! I've really been wanting to participate in submissions part of this ARG but because I've real life I just plain haven't been able to make the short deadlines. Now I'm going to email and find out what entries they might still accept! Yay!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:32 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 ICQ Number 
Scott
Entrenched

okay, so i've been studying the smithsonian mag. So you know, the print edition contains the same text as the online edition, and the same images and stuff. The cover image, to which reference is made, is specifically this picture. A guy, behind the curtain.

The print edition has a piece of text over the image -- it has a couple pieces of text, actually, a section title"Around the Mall," and some other contents sorts of things. But the text most noteworthy is the small note in the corner which reads:

Quote:
"Spirits are taking up residence in the museum; nothing is as it seems, even in this photograph," says game designer John Maccabee.

Okay, so. the picture. We have a guy in a tuxedo behind a curtain. There's light behind him fFrom a stagedoor or something. hmmm... oh, there's that sign which reads "Suit Rental: James Croggon"

James Croggon was a Washington newspaper writer, who died August 22, 1916. He apparently wrote about anything and everything that happened in D.C. fFrom about 1862 to 1894. He gave an eyewitness report on the assassination of President James A. Garfield, among many other things. Of interest to us now, he wrote this article about the old city, discussing location and land use.

James Croggon wrote:
The selection of a site on the mall for the Smithsonian Institution, the cornerstone of which was laid in 1847, and the location of the Washington national monument on the western portion of the mall, when the cornerstone was laid in 1848, made it necessary to improve the grounds at least to make a beginning.

Croggon is buried in the congressional cemetery, Range 66 Site 273.

I'm entirely unsure how to proceed fFrom here. Ideas? Maybe croggon reported something on blanche? Maybe Blanche is buried somewhere, maybe next to Croggon? That all seems a bit ... unlikely. I would dare suggest that someone swing by Croggon's grave, but I don't guess anyone realistically has the time or inclination (I'd drop by myself, but I'm 500 miles away).

Oh, also, in The Story, we've just discovered how it is Elliot Asbury entered the love triangle. The Plot Thickens!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:15 pm
rick_in_boca
Greenhorn

James Croggon
Clue embedded in Croggon info?

Scott wrote:
oh, there's that sign which reads "Suit Rental: James Croggon"
I was thinking "Suit rental" is an anagram for "Let us train" but the Croggon article is just too juicy to ignore. Perhaps there is a clue in the center of Dupont Circle?

Edited to add: I'm trying to think of a connection between the actor in the story and the actor in the assignment.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:06 am
Scott
Entrenched

Oh, hey, I just realized. Saturday was the event at the Congressional Cemetery! Duhh! http://ghostsofachance.com/?p=events Did anyone happen to swing by? I'm guessing not, since noone said anything before now. * sigh *

epic fFail.

I am hoping to make it to the event on the 25th. That's a mildly ambitious goal on my part, but it will probably be a ridiculous amount of fFun.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:26 pm
jungledrumb

Congressional Cemetery Event for ghosts of a chance

Scott wrote:
Oh, hey, I just realized. Saturday was the event at the Congressional Cemetery! Duhh! http://ghostsofachance.com/?p=events Did anyone happen to swing by? I'm guessing not, since noone said anything before now. * sigh *

At least four players were at the Congressional Cemetery.

epic fFail.

I am hoping to make it to the event on the 25th. That's a mildly ambitious goal on my part, but it will probably be a ridiculous amount of fFun.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:13 pm
Scott
Entrenched

Re: Congressional Cemetery Event for ghosts of a chance

jungledrumb wrote:
At least four players were at the Congressional Cemetery.
Cool! Can you tell us more? was anything learned? On fFacebook, someone mentioned a message of some sort? inquiring minds want to know Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:07 pm
Scott
Entrenched

Zounds! Mail fFrom Georgina, galore!
Answering a couple queries posted, as well as a nifty thing.

Georgina Bath wrote:
There was a Ghosts of a Chance event at the Congressional Cemetery on Saturday. During our wonderful tour with Patrick Crowley, Chair of the Board of Directors, we spotted two ghostly figures in the distance who appeared to be shining a flashlight in our direction. Later, upon entering the Public Vault, we discovered that the spirits had left us a cipher (along with a skull and several GIANT scary crickets). We then found a flashlight and black-out paper in a vault at the Chapel. Did the spirits want to communicate? When we saw them again we attempted to ask them some questions using the flashlight to communicate with Morse code.

We asked: Who are you?
They replied: The unfulfilled

We asked: Why?
They replied: Bad death

We asked: What do you want?
They replied: Rest

To see photographs w/captions of the tour, checkout the Facebook albums:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=63132&l=7e7b3&id=694270961
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1486792&id=694270961#/album.php?aid=63138&id=694270961

Or the Flickr set (no captions):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31183835@N08/sets/72157607785343910/

Georgina Bath wrote:
A couple of weeks ago on September 20, Ghosts of a Chance players were invited to an exclusive behind-the-scenes tour of the Anthropology department at the National Museum of Natural History. Among other things, we investigated 19th century remains, Egyptian mummies (human and animal!), and “Soap Man.” At the end of the tour, we were challenged with identifying the gender, sex, race, and cause of death of two unidentified skeletons. Dr. Hunt led us through the examination process by looking at several other skeletons that WERE identified. He then concluded the tour by giving us police reports supposedly for the two bodies.

Images (of the tour and the police reports) can be seen on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=63362&l=aa29b&id=694270961

And on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31183835@N08/sets/72157607821743094/

Georgina Bath wrote:
One of our players, Alyson Olander, created a Flickr Group for Ghosts of a Chance. If you use Flickr, please join the group and share any photos that you have of artifacts… events… or even ghosts!

http://www.flickr.com/groups/ghostsofachance/

Thanks,

Georgina

I'm not sure exactly who Alyson Olander is, but thanks fFor that eh Smile

and thanks Georgina fFor all the info!!! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:30 pm
jungledrum

James Croggon
He wrote about locations in D.C. around the same time as the people in the story on goac lived.

Scott wrote:
okay, so i've been studying the smithsonian mag. So you know, the print edition contains the same text as the online edition, and the same images and stuff. The cover image, to which reference is made, is specifically this picture. A guy, behind the curtain.

The print edition has a piece of text over the image -- it has a couple pieces of text, actually, a section title"Around the Mall," and some other contents sorts of things. But the text most noteworthy is the small note in the corner which reads:

Quote:
"Spirits are taking up residence in the museum; nothing is as it seems, even in this photograph," says game designer John Maccabee.

Okay, so. the picture. We have a guy in a tuxedo behind a curtain. There's light behind him fFrom a stagedoor or something. hmmm... oh, there's that sign which reads "Suit Rental: James Croggon"

James Croggon was a Washington newspaper writer, who died August 22, 1916. He apparently wrote about anything and everything that happened in D.C. fFrom about 1862 to 1894. He gave an eyewitness report on the assassination of President James A. Garfield, among many other things. Of interest to us now, he wrote this article about the old city, discussing location and land use.

James Croggon wrote:
The selection of a site on the mall for the Smithsonian Institution, the cornerstone of which was laid in 1847, and the location of the Washington national monument on the western portion of the mall, when the cornerstone was laid in 1848, made it necessary to improve the grounds at least to make a beginning.

Croggon is buried in the congressional cemetery, Range 66 Site 273.

I'm entirely unsure how to proceed fFrom here. Ideas? Maybe croggon reported something on blanche? Maybe Blanche is buried somewhere, maybe next to Croggon? That all seems a bit ... unlikely. I would dare suggest that someone swing by Croggon's grave, but I don't guess anyone realistically has the time or inclination (I'd drop by myself, but I'm 500 miles away).

Oh, also, in The Story, we've just discovered how it is Elliot Asbury entered the love triangle. The Plot Thickens!!!
Croggon wrote about a lot of D.C. locations. There is an archive of his work on the congressional cemetery site. http://www.congressionalcemetery.org/Research/History_Local/Croggon/Croggon_Menu.html

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:07 pm
Sophie Begonia
Kilroy

Scott wrote:
Okay, so here's what I got in the mail ....

I got one of these, too. A few days ago. From Blanche to the "Dear Boy," dated April 27, 1855. Thought I'd scan it in to share, in case there are any clues here...
From_Blanche_5.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   1.83MB
 Viewed   134 Time(s)

From_Blanche_5.jpg

From_Blanche_4.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   2.1MB
 Viewed   129 Time(s)

From_Blanche_4.jpg

From_Blanche_3.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   2.39MB
 Viewed   132 Time(s)

From_Blanche_3.jpg

From_Blanche_2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   2.27MB
 Viewed   139 Time(s)

From_Blanche_2.jpg

From_Blanche_1.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   2.35MB
 Viewed   155 Time(s)

From_Blanche_1.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:31 pm
Scott
Entrenched

Outstanding! Thanks, Sophie!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:48 pm
Varin
I Have No Life

My daughter and I mailed our submission yesterday. Hopefully it will get there by Friday (UPS promised!) Anyone else do something for this challenge?

"meta meta meta, I made you out of play..." ~ j5

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:24 pm
Page 18 of 20 [287 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Old News & Rumors
Jump to: