Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Having Trouble with the Boards?
Ask in the General Forum
or email unforum /at/ unfiction.com

The time now is Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:19 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Find the Lost Ring
[City labyrinth] Montreal, Québec, Canada
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 2 [16 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
dreamerblue
Unfettered

[City labyrinth] Montreal, Québec, Canada

Khaos, would you be willing to check on Lucie's forums to see if there are any francophone agonothetai in Montreal? I am considering taking a trip out there to tie an omph knot there, but if there are already team members in place there it would save me the time and expense.

I am going to take some time later this week to try and design a labyrinth for Montreal. If any of you feel inclined to try to do so as well, that would be nice Smile.

Are any of you also within driving/bussing/train distance of Montreal and interested in making the trip? I'm thinking of spending 1 night there, because driving there, doing the laby and then driving back would be a bit much. Who wants to go on a road trip Smile?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:59 am
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Canzonett
Unfettered

How about this? Too long? I could shorten it quite substantially, I think ...

http://tinyurl.com/5w8768

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:14 am
Thomas Bookmore
Decorated

I like this labyrinth's symetric quality. Nice, Canzonett - as always Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:48 am
dreamerblue
Unfettered

Hmm. If you zoom in one more level, you'll see there are one-way streets in the area. I'll have to look and see how much that interferes (assuming travel from the outside to the inside of the labyrinth). It is very nice-looking, though Smile.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:08 pm
dreamerblue
Unfettered

Hmm. My mom is strongly advising me against doing any driving in Montreal (in fact, my family is driving out east to the Maritime provinces from Toronto this summer, and she specifically designed our route to avoid Montreal completely).

I can take a bus to 505 Boul de Maisonneuve Est, which is in the same area as the omphalabyrinth you designed. If we can come up with a walkable labyrinth in that area, that could be the way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:29 pm
dreamerblue
Unfettered

I guess this is technically a triple-post, but it's the next day, so...yeah Razz.

Ok, I talked to my mom, and my parents are willing to slightly modify the trip we're taking at the beginning of August so that the first day we will end up staying in a suburb of Montreal. http://tinyurl.com/6ba7oo shows the currently-proposed route (which I'll have to fix up to deal with all the one-way streets), the hotel (at point "A") and an approximate driving route from the hotel to the proposed labyrinth (I made that by selecting a hotel at point "B"). Currently that shows that it will take 21 minutes from our hotel to the laby. I don't know what Montreal's city limits are, so I'm going to try to find that out and see if I can move the laby closer to our hotel (which is actually in Boucherville rather than Montreal), and making it shorter would be good, too.

Anyway, if all goes according to plan, we can drive the Montreal laby sometime in the afternoon/evening of August 4 (sometime after 3 p.m. Montreal time).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:53 pm
AUZ505
Unfictologist

You finally convinced your parents that you have to save the worlds? Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:52 pm
mr.judkins
Unfettered

Go dreamerblue and family! Very Happy

I look forward to hearing how it goes...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:55 am
dreamerblue
Unfettered

Ok, since the strength of the labyrinth doesn't matter anymore, and because my mom has requested I move the labyrinth closer to our hotel, I've significantly modified the Montreal labyrinth. I was going to have to modify it anyway due to one-way street issues, but I figured while I was at it I may as well try to keep my family happy Smile.

The route I'm going to propose includes driving along Pierre de Coubertin Avenue and is in a neighbourhood right beside Montreal's Olympic Stadium (I am hoping to even get photos of an Olympic Rings sculpture that is there!). There is still one spot where I'll have to jump out and walk the wrong way along a one-way street for half a kilometer, but that's no big deal. You can see my idea here: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2121370. If you turn the satellite image on, you'll see the Olympic Stadium just to the left of the labyrinth--it's impossible to miss Smile.

What do you think? Look ok? I know it's not nearly as nice as Canzonett's, but there are certain realities I have to deal with Razz.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:48 pm
dreamerblue
Unfettered

(Double-post, but a day later Razz.)

Eli says it's good!

Quote:
Hello [dreamerblue],

Indeed, that is a perfect 3-circuit labyrinth! And perfectly located,
no less. Perhaps the spirt of de Coubertin will be with you next week
when you create it...

Sincerely yours,

Eli Hunt

Sweet, all is good to go Smile!

By the way, I have calculated its strength to be 4.06 (C = 3, S = 1.5 km = 8.11 stadia).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:34 am
dreamerblue
Unfettered

Help needed!

Ok, the labyrinth in Montreal is done. However, hubby was only willing to have the Trackstick software on his computer long enough to download the data from the Trackstick and save it as a *.tsf file...after that, he insisted on removing it (he works for a company that scans e-mail for viruses etc. and is therefore understandably very picky about what goes on his company laptop). I have my Mac with me, but since there is no Mac version of the Trackstick software I have no way of looking at the *.tsf file. Would someone be willing to download the *.tsf file for me, take a look at it, make the Google Earth file & make it accessible to all of us, etc.? I'd really appreciate it Smile. Send me a pm if you're willing to do this; I'm going out for dinner here now, but when I get back I'll make the link to the file available to someone who pm'd me (hubby told me to put the *.tsf file on our linuxbox, but also doesn't want me putting a link to it on a public forum).

Thanks!

Edit: Ok, a couple of people have offered to help now, thanks! I've sent the link to the file to one person. I'll give another shout out if that doesn't work out Smile.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:23 pm
dreamerblue
Unfettered

Thanks to mr.judkins, we have a Google Earth file ready now! I've uploaded it to mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=2e6114634c81eb381686155677bb2685dd53dca29d67aef7 . There were a couple genuine hiccups with going the wrong way and miscommunication with my driver (see that part in the middle where I'm standing around waiting for him to pick me up, then jog into a nearby store and ask if I can use their phone to call him since I forgot my cell phone in the car? I came back when the labby was done and bought some stuff at the store & gave her some money towards the cost of the long-distance call)...so those couple of bad lines on the file aren't Trackstick "flukes" but genuine people flukes Razz. I hope it will still be ok Sad.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:41 pm
dreamerblue
Unfettered

Photos and video: everything after the omphalabyrinth design photo at http://www.flickr.com/photos/shiny_sink/sets/72157606551134953 (just ignore the other pics from day 1 of my vacation Smile).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:31 pm
thebruce
Dances With Wikis

congrats! very nice Smile
love the taped rear car window Razz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:16 am
Canzonett
Unfettered

Congratulations! This omphknot really should do it - complete our network, I mean. Any reaction from Eli, Alex, James or Kai?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:20 pm
Page 1 of 2 [16 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Find the Lost Ring
Jump to: