Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Got a jones for some uF swag?
Visit Ye Olde Tradin' Post!

The time now is Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:58 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Tom Tooman
[TRAILHEAD] Tom Tooman
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 52 of 56 [826 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next
HetMasteen
Unfettered

This could be related. Once again, the source code is styled the same, and also - didn't Red Cloud live in the Black Hills or something? I remember someone mentioning the Black Hills before on this thread...

ETA - That sound file on areyouabordernevermore.com is Morse code. With the help of tygr20 and xnbomb, I bring you the following weird message:

weird Morse wrote:
so flashes the thunderbolt shot forth by the winds through clouds, accompanied by the crashing of the heavens and sound of shattered ether. it splits the sky and terrifies the panicked people. searing eyes with slanting flame. against its own precincts it rages and with nothing solid stopping its course both as it falls and then returns great is the devastation dealt far and wide before it gathers again its fires.

This sound file is brought to you by tygr20. tygr20 - for all your flash decompiling needs (located off route 41).
Sound_3.mp3
Description 
mp3

Download 
Filename  Sound_3.mp3 
Filesize  1.59MB 
Downloaded  1037 Time(s) 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:34 am
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
tygr20
Unfettered

HetMasteen wrote:
This sound file is brought to you by tygr20. tygr20 - for all your flash decompiling needs (located off route 41).

That's off interstate 65. Good work otherwise Razz

HetMasteen wrote:
weird Morse wrote:
so flashes the thunderbolt shot forth by the winds through clouds, accompanied by the crashing of the heavens and sound of shattered ether. it splits the sky and terrifies the panicked people. searing eyes with slanting flame. against its own precincts it rages and with nothing solid stopping its course both as it falls and then returns great is the devastation dealt far and wide before it gathers again its fires.

This is taken from a book called Civil War by Lucen. Google Books' summary-

Google Books wrote:
Lucan's epic poem on the civil war between Caesar and Pompey, unfinished at the time of his death, stands beside the poems of Virgil and Ovid in the first rank of Latin epic. This newly annotated, free verse translation conveys the full force of Lucan's writing and his grimly realistic viewof the subject. The work is a powerful condemnation of civil war, emphasizing the stark, dark horror of the catastrophies which the Roman state inflicted upon itself. Both the introduction and glossary set the scene for readers unfamiliar with Lucan and explore his relationship with earlierwriters of Latin epic, and his interest in the sensational.

The excerpt comes from page xxi of the introduction. It can be found here.

EDIT: Made this post worth it's space. EDIT 2: Forgot Het's Brownie.

@tygr20
www.tygr20.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:17 am
HetMasteen
Unfettered

IP Addresses?

I'm no expert, but look at this:

IP address for ajkin.com: 207.246.97.187

The IP addresses for areyouaborder.com, areyouabordernevermore.com, blackhillsradiocontrol.com, and all their other suffixes (.net, .org) are all the same (so at least they are related).
It is: 207.246.65.70

So... It's all IG?

ETA - Looks like this is a public web server. There are 120 sites hosted on it (including sites like A1portables.com). However, it still means that all these sites are connected. I don't know if it proves they are connected to ajkin.com.

ETA2 - I think I have our link. "Open World", a company in Lexington, Kentucky, owns the following IP address range: 207.246.64.0 - 207.246.127.255. All of our sites are within this range, including ajkin.com. QED.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:37 am
HetMasteen
Unfettered

Let's Get Cracking
double posting galore.

OK, so I guess these sites are really IG. So let's solve this thing.

on areyouaborder.com (which will be known henceforth as ayab.com, as opposed to ayabn.com, which redirects to bhrc.com. Are you still with me?) We have a slide show puzzle. There is a series of slides, supposedly associated with Edgar Allen Poe's "The Raven" (hence the insertion of "nevermore" into the URL by drizjr). There is a password box at the bottom center. Any wrong answers (submitted by clicking on the black circle to the right of the password box) lead us to a file called eye.html, where we are treated to the delight of having a raven pull out our eyeball and fly away.

There are 8 distinct slides. Following are screen caps of all 8. They are resized for convenience, but are otherwise unaltered.
Their order of appearance is:
Black Screen-1-2-3-1-4-5-6-7-1-2-8-1-8-Black Screen

Note that Images 3 and 6 are both inverted (and both depict demons), and image 7 has a yellow/gold tint to it (it depicts the man begging to the Raven). ETA - note that some of the images show the doorway on the left, and some show it on the right.

Maybe each slide represents a letter, or a number to be entered in the password box.
I'll be out for several hours, so get cracking Very Happy
1.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   43.2KB
 Viewed   3680 Time(s)

1.jpg

2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   44.46KB
 Viewed   3700 Time(s)

2.jpg

3.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   44.69KB
 Viewed   3671 Time(s)

3.jpg

4.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   47.15KB
 Viewed   3673 Time(s)

4.jpg

5.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   39.18KB
 Viewed   3682 Time(s)

5.jpg

6.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   46.11KB
 Viewed   3649 Time(s)

6.jpg

7.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   37.95KB
 Viewed   3641 Time(s)

7.jpg

8.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   41.24KB
 Viewed   3654 Time(s)

8.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:28 am
Bubasture
Boot

Morse Code MP3

Someone, please please please turn this into a techno song.

/the system is down?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:39 pm
Jubilus
Decorated

Also -

The sequence is also 13 frames long. You kinda said that HetMasteen but didn't really say that. So 13 may play a role on this.

I was thinking perhaps a dancing man cipher, because he seems to put his arms out like a clock or something, but I didn't get anywhere, though I am no expert at this cipher stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:55 pm
tygr20
Unfettered

Re: Morse Code MP3

Bubasture wrote:
Someone, please please please turn this into a techno song.

/the system is down?

/me shakes his head...

Ok, I can put it behind a Jay-Z song(as I have the acapella black album) but that's the best I can offer. Smile

@tygr20
www.tygr20.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:55 pm
tygr20
Unfettered

Suffering from DPM today... double post mania-

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury. I'd like to quote one of the first significant things Mr. Tooman said to us in his opening statement.

Tom Tooman wrote:
Always look for what you are mssng.

That having been said- when ajkin.com/net were discovered... we had an IP address. The URL/domain name were "mssng." The password, "red cloud," was "mssng." When HetMasteen read the morse code from the ajkin map, it asked, "AREYOUA," which was "mssng" "BORDER." areyouaborder.com was found to be "mssng" nevermore(areyouabordernevermore.com). We can only assume that the Black Hills site is "mssng" something as well.

But I have a theory regarding the images seen on AYAB.com. The images are obviously taken from Poe's "The Raven." According to GCDOA- er- MerRabbit- in the logs from last night's chat, this site shows one of the images from AYAB. I read a little, and searching for "Joseph Boggs Beale" and "The Raven" lead me here. Nothing of real note- except that Beale's Raven "slides" were a series of 24. We have 8, if I'm not mistaken. Where are the other 16?

GCDOA/MerRabbit wrote:
why only these eight

There has to be significance in these slides. I think we need to find good copy of all of them and scan for clues.

Nothing further, your honor.

@tygr20
www.tygr20.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:29 am
ncfriend
Unfettered

I thought maybe these pics were taken from a book that had words written across the bottom, and so mr. pm had to digitize them to get them to go away. BUT if these are magic lantern slides, then they wouldn't have had words written on them, right? at least the one you found didn't.

If you zoom in on the bottoms of the slides I think you'll see what I'm talking about. There are some manipulations that are obscured. Letters? Words? numbers?

What do you think?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:53 am
Ecks51
Unfettered

One thing 7 of the 8 are mssng is color, and even so the 8th is still monochromatic.

Joseph Boggs Beale's slides where in color from what I can tell so far.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:21 am
HetMasteen
Unfettered

Things I've tried so far.
Maybe this will give someone an idea

Since drizjr told me how she came about trying areyouaborder.com, I decided to post stuff I try, with the hopes it will inspire someone else to come up with the correct answer.

- I tried matching each image to a paragraph in "The Raven", and then trying the first letter of each paragraph.

- I tried assigning dot and dash values to the images based on a couple of things: Left and right orientation, images that show light coming from the raven, and those that don't, stuff like that.

Both these attempts failed. I'm still trying to find the entire set of 24 slides so I can see if there is any significance to the slides we have (or the ones we don't have).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:32 pm
Liquidtouch
Boot

Catching up and reading about all the sites that opened up the "Black Hills" name reminded me of something I read about when looking for clues searching for Red Cloud. Here is an excerpt taken from

http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/people/i_r/redcloud.htm

Quote:
Red Cloud's strategies were so successful that by 1868 the United States government had agreed to the Fort Laramie Treaty. The treaty's remarkable provisions mandated that the United States abandon its forts along the Bozeman Trail and guarantee the Lakota their possession of what is now the Western half of South Dakota, including the Black Hills, along with much of Montana and Wyoming.

The peace, of course, did not last. Custer's 1874 Black Hills expedition again brought war to the northern Plains, a war that would mean the end of independent Indian nations. For reasons which are not entirely clear, Red Cloud did not join Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull and other war leaders in the Lakota War of 1876-77. However, after the military defeat of the Lakota nation, Red Cloud continued to fight for the needs and autonomy of his people, even if in less obvious or dramatic ways than waging war.

Don't know if it has to do with this but thought I would throw it out there

(Edited to remove spoiler tags. ~ drizjr)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:48 pm
HetMasteen
Unfettered

More Morse discoveries
Will drizjr crack this game single-handedly?

So, drizjr says to me: "Doesn't that red lightning bolt on bhrc.com look like Morse to you?"
Sure enough it does, and it is, and it's numbers. 21129. There is 0 chance this is just random flashing, since it is 5 groups of 5 "dots" (single frame flashes) and "dashes" (double frame flashes), separated by clear breaks (2 or 3 consecutive frames with no flash).

It doesn't work as a password on ayab.com, it doesn't work as an .html on any of our sites. 21129.com is coming soon, but seems OOG, and I tried parsing the number as the second half of an IP address (i.e 207.246.21.129 or 207.246.211.29) - both are unrelated.

Any other ideas?

PS: DbD (who has made a miraculous comeback) pointed out that Joseph Boggs Beale, the artists who painted the Magic Lantern slides we see on ayab.com, lost all his artwork in the Chicago fire. Hmmm... It seems that all that research we did waiting for updates is paying off. The black hills connection was spotted way back by Liquidtouch (and recently reposted. Nice work, BTW), and the Chicago fire reference we found on the map on ajkin.com.

PPS: so, what the heck is 21129 supposed to mean?

PPPS: Comparing our mp3 Morse message with the text tygr found, I can see that our version is "mssng" one word: "Scattered". (No, it's not the password. damn).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:36 pm
MerRabbit
Veteran

A quick FYI, I just noticed and HetMasteen just verified, that the veins in the eyeball that the Raven is carrying are the lightning from blackhillsradiocontrol.org inverted.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:40 pm
ncfriend
Unfettered

I was going to say that 21129 would be September 21, 2012 backwards, and i was thinking that was the end of the Mayan calendar cycle but I see now that it's actually December 21, 2012 (not September) oh well..

edited to add: but i did see that September 21, 2012 is the fall equinox, also called Mabon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:04 pm
Page 52 of 56 [826 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Tom Tooman
Jump to: