Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Having Trouble with the Boards?
Ask in the General Forum
or email unforum /at/ unfiction.com

The time now is Mon May 22, 2017 5:14 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Tom Tooman
[TRAILHEAD] Tom Tooman
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 49 of 56 [826 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, ..., 54, 55, 56  Next
Jubilus
Decorated

You have to make sure you are on "today's" image by clicking on the middle stripe. You can then hover your mouse over the left hand image and you can then click on it for the map.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:59 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
HetMasteen
Unfettered

Thanks Jubilus. I tinkered around a bit, and I was precise enough to manually realign the glyphs to make the map accessible. This means that other configurations could unlock other links.

Maybe the stars are the code for this. Maybe white = slow forward, Black = slow backwards? It seems weak to me. Drizjr - help me figure these stars out already!!! Smile

ETA - It's probably not the stars. Not the way I said, anyway. Our clue has to be a specific date (as in "go to 16 [glyph] 7 [glyph]"). It can't be a "one step forward, two steps back" kind of clue, since the starting point changes every day, so we'd have to get a starting point for this method to work.
I've also discovered that the glyph transitions are move in "clicks", so that if your timing is good, you can easily set the calendar to any date you want. Now we just need to find a date and try it out.

ETA2 - Grrr... sorry for the nth edit, but I'm working on this stuff right now. Anyway, the map is not limited to one "click". It, in fact, spreads over several, making the clickable area easier to reach (I hope I'm being clear enough about this. What I mean is that there is a certain range of clicks, say about 2 or 3 in each direction, that keep the mol glyph clickable). This leads me to believe that we are indeed looking for a date combination to unlock some other link. Did that make sense to anyone?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:06 pm
Shiningfist
Unfettered

The site with the loooooong bit of numbers is a lot spookier looking now (not sure if you guys already pointed this out.)

It gives the same map, but has an odd box around the password thing and also if you scroll your mouse over the lines at the bottom of the page past the password, the symbols rapidly change and morph.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:14 pm
Dorkula
Kilroy

I noticed the glyph on the right is rapidly cycling through the classic mayan days....

the mayan calander and day sequence is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar
not sure yet if the days are cycling in order or not....

edit oh...and the glyph on the left is cycling through the months. A mayan date is a month(glyph) and number and a day(glyph) and number.
for example, today's date is 6 Mol 12 Etznab http://www.diagnosis2012.co.uk/mlink.htm

I noticed when you click the middle bar, the dates reset. I wonder if we need to put in a date and click the middle bar....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:30 pm
tygr20
Unfettered

Dorkula wrote:
I noticed the glyph on the right is rapidly cycling through the classic mayan days....

the mayan calander and day sequence is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar
not sure yet if the days are cycling in order or not....

edit oh...and the glyph on the left is cycling through the months. A mayan date is a month(glyph) and number and a day(glyph) and number.
for example, today's date is 6 Mol 12 Etznab http://www.diagnosis2012.co.uk/mlink.htm

I noticed when you click the middle bar, the dates reset. I wonder if we need to put in a date and click the middle bar....

Welcome, Dorkula- Great ideas. I think the idea of finding a particular date is a really good one, I think that's probably where we need to be. Problem- we don't have any significant dates.

Actually- there was discussion a while back in the chat- isn't there a "missing day" certain years? Maybe this is what we're looking for. I can't remember exactly where it was found- I'm sure MerRabbit or Het can probably remember or at least find this again. Interesting concept, anyway. Also, Dorkula, on the topic of the calendar and dates- we found a great resource(I can't remember who actually found it)- Ancient Scripts has a terrific calendar section on their page, check it out. Again- welcome!

@tygr20
www.tygr20.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:46 am
ncfriend2

fires....

Ecks51 wrote:

Topeka and Kansas City, Kansas also seem to be "on fire", but I haven't been able to find a large scale fire reported in 1871. The black cloud for them is quite larger then the one over Chicago, also.

I went back a bit... cant do too much, but i did some reading... i found this site:
http://www.gendisasters.com

that listed fires in Topeka in 1891 and Kansas City in 1908
They are not "major" fires like the Chicago fire was.. but i thought it was interesting. I'm wondering with all these dates flying around.. (dates of territories and boundary changes, dates of fires) i'm wondering if the dates are supposed to lead to something???

Quote:
Topeka, Kansas Fire
Oct 27, 1891
Fire destroyed the livery stables of T. J. O'Connell & Co., and burned thirteen head horses with a large amount of wagons, harness and feed. The fire spread to the adjoining five-story Crawford building burning out the Alliance Advocate and destroying the two upper stories. The total loss is place at $10,000. The Kansas Farmer, Senator Peffer's paper was also damaged by water.

Quote:

Kansas City, Kansas
Nelson Morris & Co Packing Plant Fire
January 28, 1908
PACKING PLANT DAMAGED

Kansas City, Mo., Jan 29.--Fire of unknown origin started in the canning department on the second floor of one of the twin main buildings of the packing plant of Nelson Morris & Co., in Kansas City, Kan., last night, threatening the destruction of the entire plant and caused a loss estimated at half a million dollars before it was controlled. The building in which the fire started contained the canning department, the coolers, the dressing rooms, the wholesale department, the killing beds and the contents supplied the fire with fuel which made the flames difficult to combat. The box factory in the rear of the main building was entirely destroyed. The flames spread also to the cattle chutes, many of which were burned.

The Fort Wayne Sentinel, Fort Wayne, IN 29 Jan 1908

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:07 pm
ncfriend
Unfettered

ahhhhh

this feels much better... got my friend to log into my email for me and got a new password... ahhhhhhh!

ok now... lets talk about dates. I was thinking.. the dates of these fires and those + signs might equal something?? there are five plus signs.. so we need six dates.

just throwing stuff out here:

Chicago fire = 1871
Topeka fire= 1891
Kansa City fire= 1908

we need three more dates. The clouds over the other three cities???
the one in Colorado that no one can decide on a city name,
Indianapolis, and Minneapolis?????

eta: i realize this will only yield a five digit number.. but that might be SOMETHING. ??

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:44 pm
Bubasture
Boot

If we can get a 5-digit number, it may tell us a zip code.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:53 am
Liquidtouch
Boot

Ok, whats with the glyphs being stuck half morphed in between 2 glyphs when first loaded. What I mean is when you first load the page the glyph is all messed up and you have 2 options, if you mouse over it you see the proper glyph and if you use the bars and send "time" forward or backword it will morph into two different glyphs depending on the direction you go. The first month glyph is a morph between Mol and Ch'en and the second is a morph between Ajaw and Imix.

As of today the flash loads at:

8 - between Mol and Ch'en (Cursor over - Mol) - between Ajaw and Imix - 1

Scrolling left the first complete set of dates is:
0 - Mol - B'en - 8

Scrolling right the first complete set of dates is:
and 19 - Ch'en - Kib - 13

The Mayan calander unlike our modern one has a start date and an end date (2012). The 2012 comes from it being the end of all the Mayan numbers used for their long dating method using 5 digits. I read that there are several conventions and ideas on when the Mayan Calander started ie: 0.0.0.0.0. The most common of these has the end date at 2012. Perhaps this update is trying to tell us that the Mayan date we think it is is wrong. Perhaps the date we are looking for uses a different convention on the start date. or perhaps yet I am confused and don't fully understand this mayan date thing...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:11 pm
HetMasteen
Unfettered

Liquidtouch wrote:
Ok, whats with the glyphs being stuck half morphed in between 2 glyphs when first loaded. What I mean is when you first load the page the glyph is all messed up and you have 2 options, if you mouse over it you see the proper glyph and if you use the bars and send "time" forward or backword it will morph into two different glyphs depending on the direction you go. The first month glyph is a morph between Mol and Ch'en and the second is a morph between Ajaw and Imix.

I"ll try to explain this... I hope I can.
The glyphs don't have a sharp transition from one to the other. They slowly morph (like the hour hand on a clock doesn't jump from 1 to 2 to 3. It moves smoothly). I imagine that on the first day of Mol, the Mol glyph would be a "perfect" one. As the months progresses and gradually changes, the Mol glyph slowly starts to morph into the next one (when it's 1:30, the hour hand will be half way between 1 and 2).

ETA - Liquidtouch - I don't know If I understood you correctly, but the Mayan dates on Ajkin are the actual Mayan dates for today, as verified on this site.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:25 pm
Liquidtouch
Boot

no the "clock" sounds right. I never thought of that. damn and i thought i was on to something....

edit: now that i see the morphing as a "clock" of sorts it makes sense as being today. I was just thinking that when half through a morph it is not depicting any date because it is not a recognizable glyph.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:07 pm
Last edited by Liquidtouch on Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bubasture
Boot

I have an idea for the map (i.e. grasp at straws).

After the lines go all squiggly, they seem to form into different, smaller borders. If you look at the world view on Google Earth, it has the outlines of countries in yellow. If someone would be so kind as to try and center the globe on the section of satellite image we were given and "peer through" to the other side of the world and see if the borders match, it might help. It also may link up to some fire or other catastrophe (volcano, etc.) on the other side that may correlate with the black smoke. Hope this helps with something or other.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:09 pm
tygr20
Unfettered

Bubasture wrote:

After the lines go all squiggly, they seem to form into different, smaller borders. If you look at the world view on Google Earth, it has the outlines of countries in yellow. If someone would be so kind as to try and center the globe on the section of satellite image we were given and "peer through" to the other side of the world and see if the borders match, it might help. It also may link up to some fire or other catastrophe (volcano, etc.) on the other side that may correlate with the black smoke. Hope this helps with something or other.

From the research we've done so far in #tomtooman, we've established it doesn't match up to any other map we can find. HetMasteen made an excellent point- some of the borders abruptly end- these could be rivers. While I don't know how we'd distinguish the two, perhaps it's a combination of borders/rivers? I don't know. The map seems to be transitioning more quickly all the time- maybe it's eventually going to reach a stopping point- maybe it'll freeze in this alternate mode. Hard to tell right now. We'll see!

@tygr20
www.tygr20.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:28 am
ncfriend
Unfettered

more brain power...

Looks like we have our German intelligence on the case now:

http://www.wiki.argr.de/index.php5?title=Tom_Tooman_-_Trail

i'm not sure i saw this website on our thread either. http://research.famsi.org/mdp/mdp_index.php interesting!

not much more than we have... but it's good to know they're working on it too!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:05 am
Last edited by ncfriend on Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
HetMasteen
Unfettered

Bubasture wrote:

I'm actually pretty sure the new "borders" are actually rivers in that same area. I couldn't conclusively prove this, since I couldn't find a decent river map of that area. Google Earth is no good for this since, in reality, rivers are seldom the perfect squiggly blue lines that they are on maps.
However, I managed to (kinda) match up a couple of the lines that abruptly end to rivers on Google Earth.

If anyone could help me track down a decent river map, maybe we could at least know what those lines are.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:09 am
Page 49 of 56 [826 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, ..., 54, 55, 56  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Tom Tooman
Jump to: