Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Your continued support keeps uF running!

The time now is Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:24 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Tom Tooman
[TRAILHEAD] Tom Tooman
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 39 of 56 [826 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, ..., 54, 55, 56  Next
ncfriend
Unfettered

Freaky map

got a screen shot of some of it....
Freakout.JPG
 Description   
 Filesize   37.64KB
 Viewed   292 Time(s)

Freakout.JPG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:36 am
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
ncfriend
Unfettered

I posted some screen shots.. including a closeup of the NE section.. that has all the circles....

here:
http://random.despoiler.org/index.php?title=GOES_image

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:07 am
TFontaine
Boot

map update

So I'm using Google Earth to try and ncfriend's handy screenshots to try and figure out what those new marks are pointing to.

The two western most look to be north of Ashland. At first the square-ish mark didn't really seem to indicate anything in particular, but it seems to be pointing to Mount Valhalla. I can't find too much on the actual mount itself, but this website is for some kind of lodge on it:
http://www.valhallatraillodge.com/location.html

The circle mark next to that isn't centered on anything either, but there are several towns on the coast around there. There's Washburn, Barksdale, Herbster, Cornucopia, Bayfield, and a Red Cliff (all in WI, of course). I looked them all up briefly, but nothing stood out. "Red Cliff" is similar to "Red Cloud", but I don't know if that really means anything.

Going straight east, there is a circle just north of Munising, MI in Lake Superior. It seems to be on the Grand Island National Recreation Area:
http://www.grandislandmi.com/

South of that is a dot by Escanaba. Nothing special around there that I can see. It's named for the Escanaba River that flows into Little Bay de Noc and into Lake Michigan.

South of that there are two more. The first looks like it should be on Washington Island. It's the largest in a group of islands, with Plum, Detroit, Hog, and Rock Islands. All together, they're the Town of Washington.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Island_%28Wisconsin%29

The last circle...I have no idea what it's meant to be. There's a bunch of towns in that area too. Bailey's Harbor. Fish Creek. Ephraim. Sister Bay. Egg Harbor. There's also Peninsula State Park.

At least that's a start.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:39 am
DeadbyDawn
Unfettered

Map

Just a quick heads up. I'm not convinced that the original "storm" dots are pointing to the cities that have been discussed. Chicago is pretty hard to argue but, the storm in Colorado? I'm pretty sure that spot is way too far Southeast to be Denver? I think we need to nail down the original 5 locations.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:29 am
HetMasteen
Unfettered

I'm trying to catalog exactly what happens during these "freak out" sessions.

- Wyoming's borders with Montana, South Dakota, Nebraska, and Colorado go all crazy and squiggly.
- North Dakota's borders with Montana and South Dakota turn green.
- Oklahoma's borders with Texas, Kansas, and Colorado turn green.
- Minnesota's borders with Wisconsin and Iowa turn green.
- Iowa's border with Missouri turns green.
- Michigan's border with Wisconsin turns green.

Other than those changes, most of the lines shift slightly during this seizure, and some of them shift from white to gray.

Those are the changes I notice during this cycle... Maybe we should be looking at older maps of the US? maps in which the borders that turned green didn't exist (since I'm not an American, this is an area where I lack serious knowledge. Were the Dakotas ever united?)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:35 am
ArchaicDome
Veteran

Dakotas

They were, in fact. The Dakota Territory, shortly after the American Civil War. It was part of the Louisiana Purchase (talk about a SALE...). In fact, General Custer fought the battle at Little Big Horn because of a broken treaty with the Sioux in the Dakota Territory. I'd guess around 1890, but I'll google it real quick.

EDIT (FROM THE WIKI): It became a historic, organized territory on March 2, 1861. Upon creation, the territory of Dakota Territory included much of present-day Montana and Wyoming; by 1868, creation of new territories reduced Dakota Territory to the present boundaries of the Dakotas.

The territorial capital was Yankton from 1861 until 1883, when it was moved to Bismarck. Dakota Territory was divided into the states of North Dakota and South Dakota on November 2, 1889. The admission of two states, as opposed to one, was done for a number of reasons. The two centers of population in the territory were in the northeast and southeast corners of the territory, several hundred miles away from each other. On a national level, there was pressure from the Republican Party to admit the two states rather than one to add political power in the Senate.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:07 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HetMasteen
Unfettered

Re: Dakotas

ArchaicDome wrote:
They were, in fact. The Dakota Territory, shortly after the American Civil War. It was part of the Louisiana Purchase (talk about a SALE...). In fact, General Custer fought the battle at Little Big Horn because of a broken treaty with the Sioiux in the Dakota Territory. I'd guess around 1890, but I'll google it real quick.

EDIT (FROM THE WIKI): It became a historic, organized territory on March 2, 1861. Upon creation, the territory of Dakota Territory included much of present-day Montana and Wyoming; by 1868, creation of new territories reduced Dakota Territory to the present boundaries of the Dakotas.

The territorial capital was Yankton from 1861 until 1883, when it was moved to Bismarck. Dakota Territory was divided into the states of North Dakota and South Dakota on November 2, 1889. The admission of two states, as opposed to one, was done for a number of reasons. The two centers of population in the territory were in the northeast and southeast corners of the territory, several hundred miles away from each other. On a national level, there was pressure from the Republican Party to admit the two states rather than one to add political power in the Senate.

I think it might be trying to point us to the US circa 1861.
Here's a map of the US in 1861. I was trying to see if all the green borders (as well as the squiggly line borders) didn't exist back then. It's a little hard (particularly for me, since my knowledge of US geography is sadly lacking).

Here's a pretty good map of the US in 1861:

I think we might be inching forward on the right path now. Maybe we need to figure out what the light blotches on the sat map signified in 1861.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:25 am
ArchaicDome
Veteran

Geography

I'll work on that, since that era in American history is a hobby of mine. I'll update once I've figured something out. I don't have the ability at work to see the original wonky maps, though, so I'll be going off your list in an earlier post. Standby!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:31 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HetMasteen
Unfettered

Here's another handy 1861 US map. It seems to show my theory was correct. All of the borders that turn green, as well as the border that seems to be scratched out completely, are border erected after 1861. You can see the dates near the names.

http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=4858&rendTypeId=4

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:48 am
ArchaicDome
Veteran

Other Map

I found this one, as well,

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/united_states/us_terr_1860.jpg

although it doesn't have the state names written in. It seems to confirm as well. It's dated 1860. So what can we glean here? Recap.

Edited because I forgot the URL, and the map was 100 years old in 1960...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:55 am
ArchaicDome
Veteran

OMG!!!

I just figured out a MAJOR connection- Try and follow me here. I may ramble, because I'm really excited.

General Custer was stationed at Fort Laramie in the 1860's, where he made friends with Chief Sitting Bull and his son, Crazy Horse. The white men were really ticking off the Sioux, Lakota, and Cheyenne (among others), and we fought them in one of the many indian wars- RED CLOUD'S WAR (1866-1868). Gen. Custer negotiated the Treaty of Fort Laramie in 1868 which ended Red Cloud's War, and promised the locals that white men would never set foot in the Black Hills (in the Dakota Territory). Then some capitalists violated the treaty and announced the gold in the Black Hills, which caused a gold rush that peaked in 1876, which further infuriated the locals and caused the Black Hills War from 1876-1877, during which Custer and the entire 7th Cavalry were massacred at the Battle of the Little Bighorn.

So is as clear as is the summer's sun...

Here's the Wiki on the Black Hills War- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hills_War

Now whaddya suppose we're supposed to do with THAT? That was pretty random knowledge, even for me...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:18 am
ncfriend
Unfettered

good information! now, connect the "dots"...

I've been racking my brains trying to figure out how pre-1860 Dakota Territory, the Mayans, the Plains Native Americans and Wisconsin all fit together????

I cant find anything that ties the "dots" together... there's got to be some missing information. Some are over land, some are over water. Some have lighthouses, some dont; some have high native american populations; some do not, some have minor historical significance, some do not;

Returning to the original letter, I can not help but think.. there are some missing "i"s (dots?) here.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:32 pm
Last edited by ncfriend on Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArchaicDome
Veteran

Dots

Alas, I have a brain full of historical information, but no way to see these "dots." I'm going to blame it on being at work, but I probably wouldn't be able to at home either (because of an amazing lack of technical ability- when people ask me what kind of computer I have I reply with "A silver one..."). Perhaps someone can post a map overlaid with the dots? And maybe a map overlaid with the cloud thingys?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:37 pm
TFontaine
Boot

I've got no technical skills either, so I can't help ya with the map images.

I've been trying to figure out what the "dots" would have been signifying around the 1860s, but it's difficult to find any good maps. Native Americans, it seems, weren't fond of maps. I did find this, however:
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/map_item.pl

Looks like the dots are in the old territories of the Ojibwa(or Ottawa), Menomini, and Winnebago tribes. I looking around to see if I can find anything more on them now.

Also, I can't remember if this was brought up before, but the actual guy Red Cloud, was born in North Platte NE. I'm trying to find a link between him and all this other stuff, but nothing's jumping out yet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cloud

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:58 pm
ArchaicDome
Veteran

Red Cloud

Alas, I'm no help there either, since I'm Lenape and therefore native to the PA/NJ Delaware Valley. I did have to call my Dad (and he should get props) because he's the one who brought up the Red Cloud War. I had the rest of it, and called him to see if he had anything to add. As soon as I recapped for him, he jumped on it. And he's less technically savvy than I am. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:04 pm
Page 39 of 56 [826 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, ..., 54, 55, 56  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Tom Tooman
Jump to: