Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
What is an ARG?
Read imbri's Quickstart Guide

The time now is Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:12 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Tom Tooman
[TRAILHEAD] Tom Tooman
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 38 of 56 [826 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, ..., 54, 55, 56  Next
HetMasteen
Unfettered

gcdoa wrote:
yeah I was excited to see what would happen and nothing. Worse case scenario: we'll have to wait until the 22nd to get a new left hand glyph. Until then I will keep digging and digging.

Damn. I wanted to be right on this one...
Once again, we're stuck, and we don't know what we're looking for yet...

Oh, and the 22nd is my birthday, go 1 Mol!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:23 am
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Rogi Ocnorb
I Have 100 Cats and Smell of Wee

If we were to assume that the stars are another Morse message Where say, white = dash and black = dot, what would the resultant string look like?
The best I can do is 23 characters, left to right. (-.-.-.-..----..---.---.)
Am I missing any?
With that, I can see "ten ten am down" and a lot more, but I feel like I may have missed a few stars.

Also, Way back on page 2, sMooTH WuN asked,
Quote:
. - . . . - . - . <--- mean anything?

That could be a single word (REAR).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:45 am
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HetMasteen
Unfettered

Rogi Ocnorb wrote:
If we were to assume that the stars are another Morse message Where say, white = dash and black = dot, what would the resultant string look like?
The best I can do is 23 characters, left to right. (-.-.-.-..----..---.---.)
Am I missing any?
With that, I can see "ten ten am down" and a lot more, but I feel like I may have missed a few stars.

Also, Way back on page 2, sMooTH WuN asked,
Quote:
. - . . . - . - . <--- mean anything?

That could be a single word (REAR).

First off, good thinking.
Second, your string was right, but only regarding the right set of bar codes. The left set (the one with the western numbers) have a few extra black stars that are used to create a black background for the little white dots. These black stars do not appear in the right set. There are about 5 more black stars on the left set than on the right, but it produces a nonsense string of Morse code (about 10 dots in a row). I think that if this is Morse code, it only applies to the Mayan number bar codes.

EDIT: The word REAR comes from the mssng periods and dashes, right?
rear? Should we ask Space Bass to have another look at the back of tom's letter?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:20 am
Rogi Ocnorb

It was an attempt by SmooTH WuN to create Morse using the missing characters and by turning "i"s on their sides. It's probably nothing (Just seems like a major leap that I don't think a PM would subject us to). But, I thought since it did make a "word" cleanly and a specific request about it was made, I should mention it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:48 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zizka
Decorated

oop nvm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:06 pm
 ICQ Number 
sMooTH WuN
Entrenched

Rogi Ocnorb wrote:
It was an attempt by SmooTH WuN to create Morse using the missing characters and by turning "i"s on their sides. It's probably nothing (Just seems like a major leap that I don't think a PM would subject us to). But, I thought since it did make a "word" cleanly and a specific request about it was made, I should mention it.

yeah I agree, I believe the missing "i"s meant the "eyes" that we clicked on to get the image of the US... I doubt he used the "i"s as two separate clues...
Now Playing: The Human Pet*, Exiles, Grays Point
Waiting for: Invasion2, WITG?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:13 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rogi Ocnorb

HetMasteen wrote:
There are about 5 more black stars on the left set than on the right, but it produces a nonsense string of Morse code (about 10 dots in a row).

Ten dots in a row needn't necessarily be nonsense.
It could be "i sees" or "he is" (or a ton of other things) without even tying it to any other dots/dashes.

How about "She sees she is his sis"
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:19 pm
HetMasteen
Unfettered

Rogi Ocnorb wrote:
HetMasteen wrote:
There are about 5 more black stars on the left set than on the right, but it produces a nonsense string of Morse code (about 10 dots in a row).

Ten dots in a row needn't necessarily be nonsense.
It could be "i sees" or "he is" (or a ton of other things) without even tying it to any other dots/dashes.

How about "She sees she is his sis"
Quote:

I stand corrected. That's pretty funny.

Also, about the i's (eyes). The Mayan word for eyes is Ch'o. There is a glyph for it too (looks like a pair of cartoon eyes with half closed lids). And I guess the eyes glyph theory was wrong (damn).

One more thing - I know this was mentioned before, but I've heard some doubt, so I think I should restate this:
I went over the map picture and it was heavily edited in photoshop (cloning tool bonanza). To me this means that the light blotches on the map have to be important in some way. I just can't figure out what it is.

Oh, and we (over at #tomtooman) sent emails to tom2mansplatajkin.com (added the splat even though it didn't return anything). Seems like no mail server, as all attempts receive no reply and no bounce.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:31 pm
tygr20
Unfettered

Much work was done today. Big props to HetMasteen, DeadByDawn, GCDOA, xnbomb, and hell- SpaceBass too.

In less important news- the emails sent to tom2manSPLATajkin.com/net bounced. Either that account doesn't exist, or the mail server doesn't.

Bass offered up a higher res version of the barcode images. It can be found here. Using this high-res image, HetMasteen and DeadByDawn found out there are 3 different star types on the bar codes- there are black stars, white stars, and smaller black stars that have even smaller yet white stars in them. Het determined there are 9 black stars, 14 white stars, and 23 combo stars. Het also noticed that 9 black + 14 white = 23 combo. He offered up this "star map" in which the black stars are blue dots, the white stars, green, and the combo stars are red.

DeadByDawn had a revelation- the red stars aligned perfectly with the blue and green stars. He took the star map Het had created to photoshop, and by layering the stars showed us that the red stars' layer, if doubled in size, aligned perfectly with the blue and green. This image he uploaded shows it perfectly. What does this all mean? Stay tuned, find out. Want to stay on top? #tomtooman in the uF chat channels.

P.S. BrownieBrownieBrownieBrownieBrownieBrownie
(told xn I was baking brownies. Laughing)

@tygr20
www.tygr20.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:32 pm
Rogi Ocnorb

the right half of the combined (23 stars) image is looking more and more like Orion, to me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:45 pm
Liquidtouch
Boot

Caught up on the threads and want to start playing

Good work everyone. Looks pretty interesting so far. I used to play Majestic back in the day and out of curiosity googled it to see what happened and came across this site and thread. Just finished reading up on the threads and wanted to say hello.

The name 2man and on the http://207.246.97.187/ website there are two mayan characters (2 men?) does anyone know what they are?

Also a google search of tooman and maya led me to a website about climate and the colapse of the mayan civilization. I am sure its not an in game site but I wonder if that has to do with the theme. Weather maps and mayan numbers.

Also what if the "stars" are not stars at all but locations of places when superimposed on a map.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:10 pm
Chronus_Valtiel
Entrenched

Location: Some house I found. The people in it are really annoying.

Yes, I made the superimposing suggestion earlier.
And I still don't have photoshop, so I can't do it....

Now Playing: Silverladder. BoL/SiD. Sky Remains.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:45 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tygr20
Unfettered

Re: Caught up on the threads and want to start playing

Liquidtouch wrote:
Good work everyone. Looks pretty interesting so far. I used to play Majestic back in the day and out of curiosity googled it to see what happened and came across this site and thread. Just finished reading up on the threads and wanted to say hello.

The name 2man and on the http://207.246.97.187/ website there are two mayan characters (2 men?) does anyone know what they are?

Also a google search of tooman and maya led me to a website about climate and the colapse of the mayan civilization. I am sure its not an in game site but I wonder if that has to do with the theme. Weather maps and mayan numbers.

Also what if the "stars" are not stars at all but locations of places when superimposed on a map.

The characters on the ajkin site are Mayan calendar symbols. They can be found here. They will change daily- the right side symbol completely, and the left side symbol slightly- the Mayan number to its left will change. However, thanks to research by CGDOA and I think HetMasteen as well, we know the left symbol will change entirely on August 22.

Chronus_Valtiel wrote:
Yes, I made the superimposing suggestion earlier.
And I still don't have photoshop, so I can't do it....

So far, we've been unable to find a way to properly overlay them. Not sure if we want an American map, a Mayan map, etc. I do know that with 23 stars, and according to more research from the #tomtooman channel in the chat, there are only 14 major Mayan cities on record. They also will not properly line up with the map we were given through ajkin.com. If you can find a map that looks remotely likely to match, I'll do it in a hurry. In the meantime, I'm told The Gimp is a terrific free graphics editor if you'd like to get in on it as well. Smile

@tygr20
www.tygr20.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:30 pm
ncfriend
Unfettered

try as i can.. i cant fit the stars on the right barcode into the 23+/- stars of Orion.
oriononhisside.JPG
 Description   
 Filesize   25.11KB
 Viewed   626 Time(s)

oriononhisside.JPG

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:09 am
MerRabbit
Veteran

Ajkin update! The map on ajkin.com freaks out. I don't know how else to explain it. It just freaks out. like it's going to disappear, it gets all squiggly and what not.
What is going on?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:28 am
Page 38 of 56 [826 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, ..., 54, 55, 56  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » ARG: Tom Tooman
Jump to: