Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
What is an ARG?
Read imbri's Quickstart Guide

The time now is Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:50 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: Cloverfield (1-18-08) » Cloverfield: General / Updates
[NEW] Movie poster *spoiler maybe?*
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 7 of 9 [132 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
trencherman3000
Greenhorn

its not a flea market its a collectibles shop, read back a few pages.

From what i gathered from their website it looks like a nerdy hobby shop type place. with a lot of rare stuff, but thats just the impression i got

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:23 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
signguy
Veteran

Shattered looking glass
Abcissa

I followed the whois rabbithole into a domain naming some cows as owners...a winner of the 2006 bronze medal for viral campaigns and timewasters...according to the abcissa thing...Im pretty lost...any idea on wtf is all this stuff?

www.whoisdomaintools.com/themonstrousmovie.com

then I checked the history...I dunno how far in left I am...but tucows leads to shootybangbang?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:04 am
Almijisti
Decorated

Thought you all might find this interesting. It seems likely that the inspiration for the "Monstrous" poster is this famous Liberty Bonds poster from WW1 which is described in Rutgers' Library Special Collections

Quote:
Joseph Pennell.
That liberty shall not perish from the earth : Buy Liberty Bonds : Fourth Liberty Loan. 40 7/8" x 30"
[Depicted: New York City ablaze beyond a decapitated Statue of Liberty]

ww1-NY.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   47.01KB
 Viewed   751 Time(s)

ww1-NY.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:16 am
Loxly
Boot

Almijisti wrote:
Thought you all might find this interesting. It seems likely that the inspiration for the "Monstrous" poster is this famous Liberty Bonds poster from WW1 which is described in Rutgers' Library Special Collections

Quote:
Joseph Pennell.
That liberty shall not perish from the earth : Buy Liberty Bonds : Fourth Liberty Loan. 40 7/8" x 30"
[Depicted: New York City ablaze beyond a decapitated Statue of Liberty]

Well now, that is interesting. Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:22 am
Almijisti
Decorated

There's better examples of the original poster elsewhere online if you google the phrase; some have pretty vivid colors. Here's another:
http://www.rare-posters.com/2628.html

Even though the Monstrous poster isn't confirmed as real yet, maybe there's something here (assuming also that the new poster really is based on the WW1 poster).

WW1--the war to end all wars

"That liberty shall not perish from the earth"--a revision of Lincoln's final words in the Gettysburg Address (Bliss redaction): "that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom — and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. "

In the old days, they knew the meaning and power of symbols. Destroying the SOL meant the end of all we hold dear. It is a global symbol of liberty, not just an American one, so any suggestions that this is some anti-American flick are either just stupid or Bad Robot's run by a bunch of high-school idiots.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:00 am
suckaH
Unfettered

I'm not calling out the OP, but does anyone not think it odd that a poster that is unidentifiable is posting something that looks remarkably associated with this new movie in a forum that is teeming with ideas that are obviously false? I'm not saying the movie poster is a fake, rather that the OP is possibly IG.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:22 am
EmmanuelGoldstein
Decorated

suckaH wrote:
I'm not calling out the OP, but does anyone not think it odd that a poster that is unidentifiable is posting something that looks remarkably associated with this new movie in a forum that is teeming with ideas that are obviously false? I'm not saying the movie poster is a fake, rather that the OP is possibly IG.

Because it's very bad form and severely frowned upon for people behind the curtains to do something like that, and nobody who runs a respectable ARG would do something like that.

From the Terms of Services which you should have read:

Quote:
Rules and Guidelines for Puppetmasters

Users who are directly involved in the creation or maintenance of any Alternate Reality Game (whether in the role of Puppetmaster or in a Behind-The-Scenes position) are welcome to post as themselves in appropriate context, but not within a forum thread or section in which their game is being discussed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:51 am
Loxly
Boot

suckaH wrote:

"Puppetmasters" as they are called are not alowed according to the TOS here.

Scroll to the "Puppermaster" section.

Also there is a "Puppetmaster" rules section linked up the "Welcome" box of all the pages here under the UnFiction logo.

Just so you know.

Added: Well, dang ... got beat. Razz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:55 am
suckaH
Unfettered

Thank you to both of you. Still getting acquainted with all the rules.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:16 am
Kingpin
Unfettered

ZeroLeonheart wrote:
I have a V3 Phone, and it only takes pictures like that if a small child is punching me in the knee, or if I'm being hit with a nerf football. Please get a better pic. I'll be checking this site tomorrow!

To be fair, I'm pretty sure a lot of store vendors/owners would try stop you if they saw you trying to get a photo of their merchandise... I can certainly understand why the pictures are of the quality we've seen so far.

Onikage wrote:
Also, Kingpin, unfortunately those ARE the original pictures. I merely dragged them from my phone to my desktop and uploaded them. They never saw an image editing program Cool

Damn. It just seemed that clearer photos showing the top and base of the poster had come from a larger image which you'd then cropped the 'selected highlights'... ah well, thanks for getting back to me on that. Smile

I remember the Liberty Bonds poster quite well, there's what I can only assume is a full scale reproduction of that poster in 'Liberty Arcade' at Disneyland Paris. I'd actually been meaning for a long time to try make a modern version of it using photo elements but hadn't really gotten all that far with that project...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:40 am
1-18-08.livejournal.com
Boot

Re: Is the domain really a find?

akray wrote:
We already have theparasitemovie.com, parasitemovie.com, thecloverfieldmovie.com (which redirects to paramount.com) and 1-18-08.com (and it's variants). That doesn't make any of them the title of the movie.

Parasitemovie.com and TheParasiteMovie.com are fakes. The only IG domains found so far are 1-18-08.com, CloverfieldMovie.com, TheCloverfieldMovie.com, slusho.jp, and slusho.com.

PS it's Wednesday, when does the shop open?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:32 am
Anteros
Unfettered

For those of you planning on descending upon that collectible shop today, I read the following on this site:

Quote:
What is believed to be the poster for the film appeared briefly in the window of a South California collectibles shop “Frank and Sons,” and was subsequently removed as the shop shut down. Currently, signs advertising Comic Con and the G4 network are hanging in the place of the poster.

It may not be there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:39 am
Soci
Decorated

Anteros wrote:
For those of you planning on descending upon that collectible shop today, I read the following on this site:

Quote:
What is believed to be the poster for the film appeared briefly in the window of a South California collectibles shop “Frank and Sons,” and was subsequently removed as the shop shut down. Currently, signs advertising Comic Con and the G4 network are hanging in the place of the poster.

It may not be there.
Daaaamn daaaaamn daaaaamn!!! Well, anyone that goes at least ASK about the poster...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:41 am
Loxly
Boot

Anteros wrote:

Quote:

It may not be there.

Hmmm ... G4 is also at ComicCon Shifty Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:54 am
luwho12345

Anteros wrote:

Quote:

It may not be there.

Frank And Son is a collectible comic book SHOW!!!

It has over 300 dealers with rare "nerdy" items..... THIS IS LIKE A SMALLER COMIC CON on a weekly basis. I've been there many times......

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:30 am
Last edited by luwho12345 on Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 7 of 9 [132 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: Cloverfield (1-18-08) » Cloverfield: General / Updates
Jump to: