Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
Your continued support keeps uF running!

The time now is Tue May 23, 2017 4:55 am
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Low-Volume Games
[HAAS][PUZZLE] Ethan Haas' journal pages
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 1 of 7 [98 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
theonetruebix
Unfettered

[HAAS][PUZZLE] Ethan Haas' journal pages

Again, pulling a specific topic out of the original thread.

Buried in the meta-data of the Triton Enterprises press release, and at the tail end of the most recent Van Mantra email auto-response were three codes:

417st jn Eh
6 ld 9102
279 fh 7691

These corresponded to three URLs registered the day before the press release was made available and the new auto-response kicked in:

http://www.417stjneh.com/
http://www.6ld9102.com/
http://www.279fh7691.com/

Each of these URLs originally presented a default page, but then switched to presenting images from the journals of Ethan Haas, written in 1849:

http://www.417stjneh.com/caph.jpg
http://www.6ld9102.com/gammacass.jpg
http://www.279fh7691.com/schedar.jpg

Each image is named for some variation of the names of one of the stars in the constellation Cassiopeia -- which Van Mantra told us would be how we knew we were looking in the right place, a notion ridiculed by the Mezin on the EHWR.blogspot site.

The journals were transcribed. All of these are from my own reading and those of zornog, LazyGuest, Sirannon, and Lurker Underground (from the original Unfiction thread).

GAMMA CASS
http://www.6ld9102.com/

Quote:
June 2, 1849

I can no longer sleep. My dreams burn my eyes and flicker at all times like a candle wick left too long.

I was asked to leave the church this morning. I am no longer welcome there either. I sat for hours in the park, unable to close my eyes for fear the visions would return.

It is the only place I have left, the only place I can be near others and feel the warmth of the wanted.

I write again so I may calm my mind and find a place in which I can allow my mind to clear that I might find dreamless sleep.

SCHEDAR
http://www.279fh7691.com/

Quote:
June 2, 1849

I awake -- the dream was of a flaming ring falling to its center, turning as water. All around it were bodies of fire and energy as the heat of a flame twists the world around it.

I felt no fear. The ring turned round me and I saw [X] beneath [X] the surface were many rings, balls of fire and of light, turning to no end and I know how that creation and oblivion were its purpose.

The cycle.

The Beginning and the End.

CAPH
http://www.417stjneh.com/

Quote:
June 9, 1849

Elim -- I hear the word in my dream, was whispered to me as I sit in the park. They are coming. The word is spoken.

I can no longer close my eyes. The visions come to me in flashes with even the slightest blink of the eye. I know I cannot hope to hide. I write now but my mind turns, spinning and fluttering like a stone cast into the abyss.

They will come upon the earth in fire and light, bringing with them only war.

Posters in the original thread also noticed some sort of word in the background of two of the images -- Caph and Schedar.

Current unknowns:

* What is that hidden word and is it relevant?
* Are there two more pages to find (there are five main stars in Cassiopeia), and if so do we already have the clues in front of us to find them?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:46 pm
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
chekers
Kilroy

It seems likely that by "Look to the stars for help." They are talking about using the journal pages for clues on August 1st to complete some new puzzles.
Now these questions remain. Can we find the last 2 now? Will we need to wait till the first and we solve some more puzzles?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:07 pm
waitress#2
Entrenched

Look to the stars of Cassiopeia

I thought that look to the stars of Cassiopeia was our clue that the numbers we were given were web addresses. WWW. Cassiopeia is considered to be shaped like a W.

http://www.umich.edu/~urecord/9697/Nov05_96/artcl28.htm

I am glad that it's almost August 1st. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:22 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nighthawk
I Have 100 Cats and Smell of Wee

I've tried running the page with the text through every filter I can think of; I can't get it clear enough to discern the text any better.

It looks to me like "RA_IAN", but I could be wrong. The "_" is either an intentional blank or a letter that completely blends in to the background.

As for the smudges on the two pages: yes, they are similar images, and through creative transformation and transparent overlay of the images I've been able to match them up, but if one of the parts matches up the others don't. And, otherwise, I can't see anything further revealed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:39 pm
MO_guin

Elim

Elim (from the 3rd journal page) is a place that the Israelites camped at after they fled Egypt during the Exodus.

What, specifically, that has to do with anything discovered so far I don't know...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:12 pm
theonetruebix
Unfettered

RUCHBAH

Quote:
June 1, 1849

I have decided that I must keep a journal that I may [X] and that I may once again return to these pages to know that I am a sane man, a man of reason and willful thought.

The visions have become unbearable. My joints ache with the weight of my dreams. I pray that what I see is not the future, that it is some nightmare, the [X] visions of a man whose mind has failed him.

I may never know the truth of what I see. A world in flames. The wars of men. The return of the gods to a world I cannot know.

And so, I will [X] my visions.

I'm curious to see if anyone else can find it which is why I'm not explaining how I got to it.

(Keep in mind, I'm playing two games at once: Ethan Haas Was Right and "who is behind EHWR?")

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:31 pm
Nighthawk

theonetruebix wrote:
RUCHBAH

Quote:
June 1, 1849

I have decided that I must keep a journal that I may [X] and that I may once again return to these pages to know that I am a sane man, a man of reason and willful thought.

The visions have become unbearable. My joints ache with the weight of my dreams. I pray that what I see is not the future, that it is some nightmare, the [X] visions of a man whose mind has failed him.

I may never know the truth of what I see. A world in flames. The wars of men. The return of the gods to a world I cannot know.

And so, I will [X] my visions.

I'm curious to see if anyone else can find it which is why I'm not explaining how I got to it.

(Keep in mind, I'm playing two games at once: Ethan Haas Was Right and "who is behind EHWR?")

Where did this one come from? Message me privately if you like...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:09 pm
sabaki12
Boot

Just wondering whether I'm anywhere near the same track you used...does the Ruchbah page site address (and the previous addresses) have anything to do with "star numbers", i.e. some standardized astronomical identification for delta cas, etc...thx

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:45 pm
theonetruebix
Unfettered

sabaki12 wrote:
Just wondering whether I'm anywhere near the same track you used...does the Ruchbah page site address (and the previous addresses) have anything to do with "star numbers", i.e. some standardized astronomical identification for delta cas, etc...thx

I don't know. It isn't how I found it, at any rate.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:58 pm
Almijisti
Decorated

sabaki12 wrote:

I can't find the Ruchbah page (Bix is waaayyy ahead of us now), but I do believe the numbers refer to stars:

417st jn Eh --
    417 is the SAO number for a star in Cepheus (husband of Cassiopeia in the myth)

6 ld 9102 --
    6 is another star in Cepheus
    9102 is a star in Draco

279 fh 7691 --
    279 is another star in Cepheus
    7691 is another star in Draco

Cepheus, Draco, and Cassiopeia are three of the six Northern Circumpolar Constellations (the other three being Camelopardalis, Ursa Major, and Ursa Minor; sometimes Lynx is included), which circumnavigate Polaris, the (current) North Star. By themselves these might be coincidences, but considering there are more than 250,000 stars in the SAO Star Catalog, and 88 constellations (48 recognized in classical times) I don't think so. If and when Bix enlightens the rest of us, we'll find out if the title of that page also gives us circumpolar star numbers. that would clinch it for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:48 am
sabaki12
Boot

thank you...and i obviously missed the extensive discussion of star catalogues yesterday on the main thread (sorry, was only up to page 20 or so until now)...how about this bix...since the other site addresses were given in emails and the triton pdf...are you looking at a string of characters that we have already been given and everyone else is missing so far?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:11 am
theonetruebix
Unfettered

sabaki12 wrote:
are you looking at a string of characters that we have already been given and everyone else is missing so far?

Only if I've missed them, too.

I don't mean to be a pain. I just know that a lot of gameplayers think that certain methods of digging up information should be considered out of bounds, or "out of game". (Legitimate methods, not something weird or illegal, heh.) I, on the other hand, believe that (for example) if this were happening in the real world, anyone trying to feed us information would EXPECT us to use these methods. So I consider them to be validly in-game.

But a lot of people don't, so while I felt compelled to tease the information, I just haven't been getting into the hows.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:26 am
Nighthawk

A lot of people, including the Cloudmakers, have stated that WHOIS information is not supposed to be used for the actual game. Some state that the only purpose it should use is to confirm authenticity of a site, but it shouldn't be used for game content.

Without the WHOIS information of the EHWR site, we would have never found Triton, so I think the gloves are off here, at least in that regard.

So you could tell me... through private messenger if you like... I'll keep the same standards you are in this regard. I'm being as agressive as you are in some of my searches; I haven't found out everything because I don't have the time.

Heck, I wrote a program to search for subdomains, which will ram through DNS searches of every subdomain from "a" to "zzzzzzzz" (I used it to search the "slusho.jp" domain for Cloverfield. NOT RELATED TO THIS!!!). But I was already mentally poising myself so that, if I did find a subdomain that was part of the game, I would then figure out *why* I would find it before making it public.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:41 am
Almijisti
Decorated

I can go either way here. Bix's point about the puppetmasters realizing that people would do the DNS and Whois business has to be correct, so it stands to reason they would put clues there--it's easy enough to do that with whois information. The DNS stuff is not in my skill set, so it doesn't do me any good anyway. Isn't the whois information the only way we learned about Triton Enterprises? Has there been any other direct link between Triton and Ethan Haas in-game since?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:56 am
Nighthawk

See my last post in the other meta thread; they recently modified the last three domains we found to use a domain privacy service, for the express purpose that we DON'T see the details.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:09 am
Page 1 of 7 [98 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Low-Volume Games
Jump to: