Return to Unfiction unforum
 a.r.g.b.b 
 Calendar Calendar   FAQ FAQ   Search Search   Memberlist Memberlist   Usergroups Usergroups 
 Register Register   Log in Log in 

Welcome!
New users, PLEASE read these forum guidelines. New posters, SEARCH before posting and read these rules before posting your killer new campaign. New players may also wish to peruse the ARG Player Tutorial.

All users must abide by the Terms of Service.
This week sponsored by:

You?

Why do we need your help?
Announcements
What is an ARG?
Read imbri's Quickstart Guide

The time now is Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:42 pm
All times are UTC - 4 (DST in action)
View posts in this forum since last visit
View unanswered posts in this forum
Calendar
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Old News & Rumors
[TRAILHEAD] Amy Greenford
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
Page 4 of 27 [400 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 25, 26, 27  Next
myf
Entrenched

I registered on the forum recently, but haven't had a chance to read through stuff over there yet. I'll have a mooch through later on.

I'm hoping to go up to London tomorrow (all being well) to have a poke about in Foyle's. I can try to have a look at the Dickens place on Doughty Street too.

Should the need arise, I can also get over to Swindon in the next few days.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:13 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 ICQ Number 
 Mark this and the following posts unread Back to top 
Mokey Fraggle
Unfettered

Cool find! Very Happy

Just took a look at the posts about a competition that this Niebla person started -- it looks like people who signed up have been receiving strange emails...

Here's the quiz:
http://www.unique-thinking.com/library/

Here's the message board:
http://www.jasperfforde.com/phorum/read.php?4,87799,page=1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:31 am
Barefoot Andy
Greenhorn

The emails apparently point to this blog, as someone posting as June Haversham, who is connected to the development of Mr Fforde's quiz:

http://junehaversham.wordpress.com/

A few things I noted:

The line

"I donít tend to have great expectations about Internet quizzes so I wasnít too concerned." (my emphasis)

and a spiel on May 31st about weddings, when combined with the fact that this is a character called "Haversham", seems to imply something Disckens related.

There's also a reference in there:

"he has even made up a special question which will be added to the Ffordian Next questions. It is really tricky because the answer isnít in any of the books anywhere!"

Sounds like it's a challenge.

Possible clues:

The list of idioms she defines at various points

Storm in a Teacup
Mea Culpa
Verbatim
Greyhound in the Slips

Or perhaps the list of workmates are important (there's a June, Janet and Julie working there, which is the sort of thing that might elicit comment).

Or maybe something else

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:54 am
myf
Entrenched

You know, I think I should start paying more attention to things. I started on the quizzes, but got sidetracked and didn't get very far. But I do remember getting an email from that Haversham person that they discuss in that thread. I'll see if I can find it and work out what the blazes is going on.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:29 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
 ICQ Number 
Sarah B
Unfettered

*dances*

YES! I'm so excited that it's Ffordian. I love Fforde very much. Smile

I'm signing up to the quiz to see if I get anything interesting... Very Happy

If there had been a bear there, until it was Baloo, but there was no bear there. - Jasper Ffforde's Great Samuel Pepys Fffiasco

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:50 pm
Fridge
Boot

Looks like ill have to do my homework and read up on Fforde, an author i havent encountered until now.

Im definitely going to be going to Foyles tomorrow, does anyone have any ideas about searching for these books? Or anything else I should be trying to track down?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:07 pm
Barefoot Andy
Greenhorn

Hi Sarah B! Came here due to your post on the Fforum.

Annoyingly, I'm guessing at least some of this is going to be about plots in First Among Sequels, which means that rather than politely waiting to get it from parents as a birthday then leisurely reading at my own pace, I'm gonna buy it ASAP, then devour it for references to brides, Foyle's, Miss Havisham &c.

The Tricky question because the answer isn't in any of the books is Landen's brother's name, apparently. His Mother and Father are named (Houson and Billden), but I can't see even a sign that he has a brother from flicking through LIAGB. Hotellon? Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:42 pm
Sarah B
Unfettered

Fridge wrote:
Looks like ill have to do my homework and read up on Fforde, an author i havent encountered until now.

He's well worth it! Smile

Quote:
Im definitely going to be going to Foyles tomorrow, does anyone have any ideas about searching for these books? Or anything else I should be trying to track down?

Something on Samuel Pepys, perhaps? Just thinking, if it is related to the quiz, maybe that's a good place to start since that's the question in question, as it were.

Barefoot Andy wrote:
Hi Sarah B! Came here due to your post on the Fforum.

Good to see you Andy! Smile I didn't know Landen had a brother, either. Hmmm. Can't find any reference to it on Jasper's webpage either, so no use lateral thinking there. If he had a sister, she could be Miss Parke-Laine, that would probably work! Laughing

If there had been a bear there, until it was Baloo, but there was no bear there. - Jasper Ffforde's Great Samuel Pepys Fffiasco

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:47 am
myf
Entrenched

Massively huge post alert!

I went up to London today and met up with Fridge. We both took some photos and I've put mine up on Flickr. You will hopefully be able to view them here.

I have spent hours and hours walking round that shop scanning shelves for oddities. I have a feeling I'll be dreaming books tonight!

We made some progress: I managed (eventually) to find the copy of Wind In The Willows in the Crime section. Most pages were blank, but one page had mostly illegible disappearing text, and one other page had a short passage:
Quote:
Now I've Dinah's guardian
My book won't be ignored
With her logistical ways
And her curious gaze
She'll make many much money fffor Ffforde!
The triple fs were actually in the book, and aren't a typo on my part Laughing

The back of the book said at the top (hand written)
Quote:
THIS BELONGS IN CRIME
and the blurb said
Quote:
The Dupine Popular Classics Collection

is the most comprehensive collection of popular classic book
titles. No home library is complete without a selection from
this range of famous and well loved titles, be it romance,
horror, fantasy, thriller or racy novel - the Popular Classics
Collection has the book you 'need to read'.

Titles in this collection include Alice in Wonderland, Franken-
stein, Great Expectations, Pride and Prejudice, The Picture of
Dorian Gray, Three Men in a Boat, The Wind in the Willows,
Wuthering Heights and many more.

The ISBN on the back was 9780141439813 - I've just searched for this, and it's not a valid ISBN.

Fridge managed to find the copy of Wuthering Heights in the Relationships bit of the self-help sort of books. Only one page with text in this book, which read
Quote:
You judged me too quickly
But now I shine with pride
I've nicked her lovely words
And now this book has nowt inside.
The back was exactly the same as the Wind In The Willows book.

We trawled the entire shop, and couldn't find any others. I left, assuming the other books had yet to appear, but soon got a message from Fridge saying he'd found Pride & Prejudice, in the Politics section (the shelf was, I think, labelled British Political Parties). I went back, found it, and it had one page with the following text
Quote:
If nobody sees the breeze in the trees
Does the breeze in the trees really blow?
This quaint little group,
(One of whom just says 'poop')
Now reside in my Pepys Fffiasco.
Again, the back was exactly the same as the Wind In The Willows. I tried hunting round for others, but was getting the bookshelf equivalent of highway hypnosis, so eventually left without finding any others. I didn't get round to visiting the Dickens Museum, so maybe someone else can go and check that out at some point.

I don't know if it's at all relevant, but the Wind In The Willows and Wuthering Heights had yellow and black covers, and Pride & Prejudice had a pale green cover (the colour doesn't really show in my photos).

I think that's a reasonably accurate account, though if my addled brain has got things wrong I'm sure Fridge will correct me. So, make of that lot what you will!

I've not yet contacted Amy with our exploits. I'll let you lot have a look at it all first, and then we can decide what to tell her (if anything). I didn't see any peculiar materialising people while I was there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:28 pm
 ICQ Number 
cows
Boot

First of all let me congratulate you on a good days work Smile I can imaging how frustrating it must be to be looking at every bookshelf in a book store.

The blurb on the back states that there are the following books in the series:
Quote:

Alice in Wonderland, Frankenstein, Great Expectations, Pride and Prejudice, The Picture of
Dorian Gray, Three Men in a Boat, The Wind in the Willows,
Wuthering Heights

These are all the books im guessing that there are in total to find ( total: 8 )

It also states these genres:
Quote:

romance,horror, fantasy, thriller or racy novel

all the different sections to look in - in total there are 5 genres listed. And I'm not entirely sure where "racy novel" might be... However - Crime and Politics was missed out... Not sure why

The blurb saying
Quote:
the Popular Classics
Collection has the book you 'need to read'.
Further emphasizes the fact that we need to see those books.

Quote:

In regard to the ISBN - there is a format as to how they are used, I have it in a book somewhere - Now it could just be an encryption, or it could be a cleverly worked out format that gives us a clue as to where they were made or something... Either way - Ill look for the book, and try and work it out... If I see nothing - then I'm guessing its an encryption of some sort.

Cows

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:11 pm
bellymonster
Boot

The passages in the books don't seem to reference the books they are found in:

myf wrote:
Wind In The Willows in the Crime section.
Quote:
Now I've Dinah's guardian
My book won't be ignored
With her logistical ways
And her curious gaze
She'll make many much money fffor Ffforde!

That would seem to reference Alice in Wonderland, Dinah being Alice's cat.

Quote:
Pride & Prejudice, in the Politics section
Quote:
If nobody sees the breeze in the trees
Does the breeze in the trees really blow?
This quaint little group,
(One of whom just says 'poop')
Now reside in my Pepys Fffiasco.

This says to me Wind in the Willows, as 'poop poop' was the sound of Mr Toad's car.

I can't however fit the passage found in Pride and Prejudice to a book. It's been a few years since I've read any of these, and some not at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:20 pm
cows
Boot

Ok - no luck on the ISBN front, not even as an ISBN sub-directory, which is annoying, otherwise it could have led us to another book...

Though it could just be a random bunch of numbers stuck there to make it look authentic - its unlikely.

In relation to bellymonster - would it not make sense that all the books link to one another - and then maybe at the end it links to an unknown?

Cows

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:36 pm
bellymonster
Boot

cows, it does make sense, yes. I was just expecting each message to relate to the book it was in, rather than to a different one.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:44 pm
Sarah B
Unfettered

Brilliant work, myf and fridge!

*applaudes*

Firstly, I'll just say that I was obviously onto something with the Pepys, given the mention of it in the book. Smile

Secondly, it looks to me as if people are trying to steal characters from books to make their own book something sellable. Interesting. Smile

There have been some updates on http://junehaversham.wordpress.com/

From reading it, I think I know what's going on now. There are emails on here from someone called Jasper Ffforde. 3 fs. And the book text referred to Ffforde too. I think someone is writing a book with First Amongst Sequels' working title, and trying to pass it off as the fifth Next book. I've emailed June and warned her; whether or not she'll listen I don't know...

Also from the blog, if my theory is correct, what's here:
31-33, High Holborn, LONDON, WC1V 6AX ?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:31 pm
myf
Entrenched

I was hoping that each passage from a book contained something to identify another book, along with a clue as to where we might find it. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to be the case Sad I agree that the passages refer to one of the other books that we were meant to find, but that was as far as I could get with it. Never having read any of the books involved (and having no idea what some of them are about), I couldn't work out which sections they were likely to be in once whoever it is had reorganised them all. I tried asking a couple of friends, and I think Fridge did too, but still couldn't find any others.

Wild book hunt aside, I'm bothered about that odd email from June Haversham that I got a little while ago (the one mentioned recently that I had sort of ignored). From checking back in the books, the Dickens character was spelled Havisham, not Haversham. I'm also slightly confused because in Well of Lost Plots (spoilered for those who've not read the Fforde books, but want to eventually)
Spoiler (Rollover to View):
didn't she die? If there's a generic that's replaced her that's writing that blog and sent that email, why alter the spelling of her name? Maybe it's an impostor....
I did notice that on those written notes Amy got, Havisham was spelled correctly.

Speaking of which, I've just had a look and there's 2 more notes from Havisham on Amy's blog. I think I've copied them out right.
Quote:
I feared as much. This may prove to be the just tip of the iceberg. I cannot explain it all - not yet but I think, I fear...the man you saw me with. He was not (can't quite read it, but looks like) Compeyson. Why cannot I recall his name?I may have done something terrible.
You say there are loyal fans of fiction who will help. But how! How can we reach them? Even now, I can feel more books slipping into things I believe I once read but may have dreamed. It is a sure sign... you ask of what
I can only say - of theft. Theft of the worst kind . No, not theft. Of murder. We must get help.

The second note:
Quote:
You are certain? They are not merely hiding? I am bewildered. This then is worse than I thought. Not only my life and the lives of many innocent characters are at stake but ALL literature.
I have noticed disturbing signs already - if only I could REMEMBER. I agreed I would show you something in return: pay close attention:
The place I jumped to. Your Follies or whatever it was called. A young lady named Miss E. Bronte was going to write a book. I cannot write I fear she did in fact write it but it is now being deleted. Look but it is slipping from my memory.That is a sign. Search for it. I fear the worst.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:50 pm
 ICQ Number 
Page 4 of 27 [400 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ..., 25, 26, 27  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topicMark the topic unreadView next topic
 Forum index » Archive » Archive: General » Old News & Rumors
Jump to: